Has anyone done the 14-day (Vancouver) roundtrip cruise?

OnTheJourney

Just came across this in a brochure I got in the mail. Looks really nice. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A2G14A/I265.html  visits Kodiak. Anchorage, Valdez, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert. We went with HAL to Alaska in '06 on the Veendam but didn't get to Sitka. We gave up our day in Anchorage to fly up to Barrow. Looks like they only run this itinerary twice a year, so it'll be awhile till we can fit in unless we cancel something already booked. Thanks for any thoughts or advice. The Signature Suite looks quite nice also - that'd be my first choice. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 1

• OnTheJourney changed the title to Has anyone done the 14-day (Vancouver) roundtrip cruise?
12 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Just came across this in a brochure I got in the mail. Looks really nice. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A2G14A/I265.html  visits Kodiak. Anchorage, Valdez, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert. We went with HAL to Alaska in '06 on the Veendam but didn't get to Sitka. We gave up our day in Anchorage to fly up to Barrow. Looks like they only run this itinerary twice a year, so it'll be awhile till we can fit in unless we cancel something already booked. Thanks for any thoughts or advice. The Signature Suite looks quite nice also - that'd be my first choice. 

What an amazing itinerary!! 

So good that I booked my aft facing stateroom several months ago to once again enjoy the small Alaskan towns.  I completely enjoyed my last 14-day visit to Alaska on the Zandaam a few years ago.  The chance to return to photograph more puffins, bears in salmon season, and the changing fall colors was an opportunity that I jumped at as soon as it was posted.

The roll call is already started.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

I did not see this one.  I saw the one for Sept 18th. I think it was in the Noordam.

I have never done this iteanary but I did the 14 day RT 3 times on 3 different ships.  Stopped in Vancouver instead of Prince Rupert, did Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay.  Stopped at Homer instead of Valdez and did not due both Sitka and Skagway.

wow! I just booked a Panama Canal cruise in Nov.  I will have to think about this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

What an amazing itinerary!! 

It really is...wish I could do it next year but we just rebooked a cruise that had to be canceled for this May due to a conflict with another cruise (all this due to covid cancellations, etc. - a familiar story for many of us). Always regretted that our Veendam cruise didn't stop at Sitka. That was the only HAL cruise we've ever done. TOO many places to go to and too little time for them all.  

I bet fall is gorgeous up there. We went in summer. It was the only time we could go back then due to our public school teaching schedule. Now, we enjoy being able to travel in spring and fall. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

Have done a 14 day similar to this several times over the years.  Why they are only offering this in May and September is a mystery since it has been very popular since they initiated it a few years ago.  The ports have changed but the cruise will be a well received.  Go for it.  I’m hoping they will offer more sailing dates of the 14 day itinerary in 2023.   

• Like 4

19 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Grab it.

I would if I could fit it in to next year's schedule. Too many (covid-canceled and rebooked) trips. 

17 hours ago, Radbooks said:

go to Kodiak

this port in particular interests me quite a bit

18 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We're booked on the Sept. 17, 2023 14-day cruise.

That sailing would probably be my second choice. May would be first. Neither one works anyway. '24 is a possibility. 

I love that it leaves from Vancouver.  I love that it stops in Skagway.  I'm surprised no Juneau.

I don't love that the first two days are at sea in that it's a long stretch and * could * be rough waters. 

The previous 14 day did half the stops going up and half down.  This is more head to the top and hit all the ports on the way back.  It's not enough to dissuade me much.  I'm keeping an eye on this one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VermeulT said:

* could * be rough waters. 

Gulf of Alaska can be. I seem to recall most of the Inside Passage was pretty smooth sailing. We did it going north instead of (what seems to be the more popular) doing a land tour and then sailing south. Scenery just got better and better as we went along. 

• Like 1

We have done similar itinerary and have been to all the ports.  It's a great itinerary.  I would do it in a heartbeat, but couldn't talk DH into it because it is very late in the season and rain/cold should be anticipated.  That doesn't bother me, but it does bother DH.

If you don't mind donning the rain gear and layers of comfies, go for it.  You'll have a fabulous time.  Beautiful places, wonderful wildlife viewing.

• Like 1

Over time we learned this about the Alaska seasons ---- ingeneral since it can be so variable day to day or even hour to hour:

early season- cold but generally clear, wild life  just waking up, some inlets still ice-jammed

summer -nicer weather, long days but lots of mosquitos; glaciers accessible and calving

late summer - rainy, fewer bugs but abundant wildlife getting ready for winter, colors changing

Anytime is the right time in Alaska. Even did a winter holiday trip to see the Northern lights and ski in Alyeksa at 1000 feet elevation - dark as can be during December with only a hint of sun on the low horizon for a few hours, but it was still fabulous - Ice Sculptures in Fairbanks and glistening hoar frost in Chena Hot Springs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/26/2022 at 3:34 PM, AnyWayIsGood said:

Thanks for any thoughts or advice. The Signature Suite looks quite nice also - that'd be my first choice. 

I love the Signature Suites on Nieuw Amsterdam!  Do it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

I love the Signature Suites on Nieuw Amsterdam!  Do it!

OH yeah...once I get around to finding a date that works, will surely book the Suite. They probably go quick I'll bet. It'd be neat to sail with HAL again - been 16 years so far. We've seen the Veendam (the one we used to Alaska) in port several times when we were up in the New England states on other cruises. Always brings back memories of that trip. Like I said, if I hadn't just rebooked this Bermuda cruise for next May that we've been trying to do the past 2+ years, I'd definitely book this one instead.  Hate to cancel / rebook/ push off yet another cruise that has been in the works and yet affected by the pandemic. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

12 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Anytime is the right time in Alaska. Even did a winter holiday trip to see the Northern lights and ski in Alyeksa at 1000 feet elevation - dark as can be during December with only a hint of sun on the low horizon for a few hours, but it was still fabulous - Ice Sculptures in Fairbanks and glistening hoar frost in Chena Hot Springs

Wow...you could write up a great advertisement for travels to Alaska the way it sounds!  Makes ME want to go anyway...  😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Wow...you could write up a great advertisement for travels to Alaska the way it sounds!  Makes ME want to go anyway...  😉

Our tax driver from the train station in Fairbanks just happened to be from my home town in Southern California. When I told him we were there to see the Northern Lights, he laughed and said that was like going to Santa Barbara to see sand. They were so common for him by then, but still 100% exotic for us.

it was a great trip -self arranged: flew to Anchorage for a few days, took the ski bus to Alyeska, then boarded  the once a week train to Fairbanks via Denali NP, viewed the Ice Sculptures in Fairbanks and a Northern Lights viewing dome out of town.

Then by van on to Chena Hot Springs outside of Fairbanks for several days/nights of wonderful Northern Lights viewing with no ambient urban lights, along with geothermic hot springs indoor pool, hoar frost hiking round steaming natural hot mineral springs pools, dog sled rides during the day.  

Flew home from Fairbanks.  You have to be prepared to get up at 4am or spend long hours on hay bales waiting for the magic moments the lights appear.  Or not. They follow an 11 year sun spot cycle so some years are better than others, but the key spot for scientific research in the US is Fairbanks.

34 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

They follow an 11 year sun spot cycle so some years are better than others, but the key spot for scientific research in the US is Fairbanks.

Thanks. I have some experience with them having been on the (quite infamous) Viking Sky Northern Lights cruise back in March of '19. Had a few really good sightings up in Norway. We had some terrific onboard lecturers who shared with us great info and also suggested some good websites to keep track of Kp value, etc. for predicting activity. One of the best sightings I had was right from the ship the one evening. Better than what I saw on the ship-sponsored excursion. 

Sounds like you had a good trip. We gave up our day in Anchorage (part of the HAL cruise) and instead booked a tour up in Barrow. Real early flight to get up there and a LONG day, but well worth it. Barrow (renamed awhile back to Utqiaġvik) remains as one of the most unique places we've ever visited, along with Antarctica. So this HAL cruise would allow us to see Anchorage since we haven't yet. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 1

@AnyWayIsGoodwe took a 14 day Alaska cruise RT Seattle in 2018 and it was one of our favorites. So relaxing, enriching and stunningly beautiful! Here’s what we did in Sitka. We had not been to Alaska since a 7-day in 2007, and we absolutely loved having 14 days. My heart was so full when we left and I have such fond memories of that cruise.

All the Best!

We also did the RT Seattle Alaskan Explorer in August 2018, with a group of family totalling nine of us. In Sitka we did the ship's three-in-one of Otter Sighting boatride, Raptor Center, and Fortress of the Bear. Saw more and closer whales on the otter ride than on the "scientific" Juneau whale-watching expedition! In all one of our favorite days. Just because so many of our other tours were top-notch!

I was sorry that cruise did not visit Skagway, but all but two of us had already ridden the railway, so it was an OK port to miss. Our ports were: Seattle/Ketchikan/Juneau/Icy Strait Point/Anchorage/Homer/Kodiak/Sitka/Victoria BC/Seattle. If you have questions about any of those, just Quote some part of my message so I get an email!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

So this HAL cruise would allow us to see Anchorage since we haven't yet. 

That was one of the best parts IMO. 

In 2023, you're only in port 11a-8p.  On the previous itinerary we were there until midnight.  Having the security of that extra time allowed us to rent a car and go North.  We went to the Iditarod headquarters and walked on Matanuska Glacier.

Having to be onboard by 7 or 730p means I'd plan to be back in Anchorage by 5p to allow time for a flat tire or the like.  6 hours doesn't allow you to venture as far.

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

We also did the RT Seattle Alaskan Explorer in August 2018…Our ports were: Seattle/Ketchikan/Juneau/Icy Strait Point/Anchorage/Homer/Kodiak/Sitka/Victoria BC/Seattle….

Oh, that itinerary! Loved it so much. The sailaways were fabulous, and even while sailing the surrounding scenery was just so beautiful. I felt like we were constantly surrounded by the wonders of nature, from morning to night. I remember one evening we could see Homer in the distance and those snow-covered mountains were such a glorious site.

All the Best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VermeulT said:

6 hours doesn't allow you to venture as far.

Thanks for the advice, but we figure we do what we can with the allotted port time no matter where we are. Not much interested in venturing on our own beyond what the ship offers unless it be to just walk around in the local port area. Totally different if one is there as a DIY trip.