Final Payment now Due 120 before cruise date?

Oxo

Agreed, especially considering everything still going on with testing and travel. While we'll still book with a 120 day date, the chances of us cancelling when we reach final payment are much higher if we're not very confident that nothing will change. 4 months is a long time. Probably wouldn't even consider something overseas right now with these terms.

Edited by XLVIII
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

From what I remember, final payment was always 4 months in advance with NCL?  

Can't remember. We were on NCL JOY in Nov & Dec 2021.

RCI & MSC 30 & 60 days. 

Apparently Covid didn't affect NCL.

Not to "defend" NCL's current policies & practices on cancellations and final payment timeline, things were different then & highly variable in the old days, depending on the length of the cruise ... now, anything longer than 7 days is basically at 120 days (unless in a suite or Haven, etc. etc.)

NCL used to have a 90 days final payment deadline going back a few short years, pre-Covid, for "our" typical 7 nighters (longer when we're doing 14 nights in 2019 ... )   Covid triggered changes & special provisions to NCL and other cruiselines' timetable & deadlines for cancellations or final payment.  Now that we are, hopefully, gradually returning to the new normal - 120 days is the goal posts, whether "I" like it or happy with it - not, doesn't really matter.  It is what it is - we've gone back to book cruises only for near terms and never that far out. 

More important than ever, make sure one's travel is well insured and fully covered, or at least as much as possible, or risk being self-insured = uninsured for the unexpected !!

• Like 1

Seriously, no need to defend NCL or anything. 

My point which seems to be mine alone.

No one minds giving their money to NCL 120 days/40 months in advance. Free money for NCL.

Would love to get paid that early, too.

LOL

18 minutes ago, Oxo said:

No one minds giving their money to NCL 120 days/40 months in advance. Free money for NCL.

LOL

It was like this for my Feb 2020 cruise, they are just going back to their old policy as it was just before the shutdown (I know it was 90 and went to 120).  If you don't want them holding it that long do like I do from time to time and book after final payment date.  Bonus is if the ship has a lot of rooms that will help you will cost of cruise.  

NCL's final payment date was 90 days as far back as I remember (mid-teens.)

Then, it went to 120 days just a couple of months before the world shut down.  Surprise!

It was at 60 days for a little while during the restart as part of the Peace of Mind program, but I always figured it would go back up to 120 at some point.  And so it has.

If one tends to book last minute, none of this matters.  

Alternately, if one tends to book waaaaay in advance, it doesn't matter too much either.  You've got plenty of time to get your finances in order.

The amount of interest I could earn on my cruise fare by hanging on to it for another 30 days is pretty dang negligible, given today's interest rates.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, trivimp said:

NCL's final payment date was 90 days as far back as I remember (mid-teens.)

Then, it went to 120 days just a couple of months before the world shut down.  Surprise!

It was at 60 days for a little while during the restart as part of the Peace of Mind program, but I always figured it would go back up to 120 at some point.  And so it has.

If one tends to book last minute, none of this matters.  

Alternately, if one tends to book waaaaay in advance, it doesn't matter too much either.  You've got plenty of time to get your finances in order.

The amount of interest I could earn on my cruise fare by hanging on to it for another 30 days is pretty dang negligible, given today's interest rates.  

FYI - We are fortunate.  We cancelled 2 RCI cruises for Feb 2022. Going on 2 RCI cruises next month, 2 MSC in July, 2 NCL in Sep, 1 NCL Oct, 1 NCL & 1 CELEBRITY in Nov 2022.

Does a cruise line give you any grace period? If you don't mind a company using your money for X number of days, your choice.

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

LOL

You make final payment that early for the privilege of having them hold a reservation in your name that far in advance. If you don't want, for example, to pay any earlier than say 60 days in advance, then you just have to wait until the 60 day mark to call, book, and make final payment. Easy peasy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1