Allure in Costa Maya

15 minutes ago, topnole said:

Does allure still dock at the same pier?   Near where you can walk off and there is the large pool and bar and a bunch shops?

Yes only one pier area in Costa Maya, although depending how long ago you were there it may have been extended.

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Yes only one pier area in Costa Maya, although depending how long ago you were there it may have been extended.

Tnx.  Geez I can’t even remember the last time.  It was on an Oasis class ship.  So at least since 2010.  I’m fine walking a long pier either way.  I prefer a short on and off for this one, so glad to hear it is the same pier.  

10 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

The pier is expanded with a branch off the main straight pier which, in combination, can handle three ships at a time.  But it is not a second separate pier. There were three ships in port last time we were there.  First time we were there only one or two could dock, and on that - and two other subsequent - occasions we were the only ship there.

Here is a link to google maps that shows the dock:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Costa+Maya/@18.7317275,-87.693683,1060m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8f5b289b5874cd79:0x935f43d68be66e78!8m2!3d18.7332359!4d-87.6925989

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just now, topnole said:

Tnx.  Geez I can’t even remember the last time.  It was on an Oasis class ship.  So at least since 2010.  I’m fine walking a long pier either way.  I prefer a short on and off for this one, so glad to hear it is the same pier.  

One time earlier this year there was a shuttle down the pier, but it broke and they had to stop it. I was last supposed to be there march 27 week .. and us and allure both cancelled due to winds and waves were 6 ft. 

Hopefully shuttle working. We were there the week of march 20th and lots of algae. I wouldnt have gone in but others I am sure did. I read krazy lobster had nets. 

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The pier is expanded with a branch off the main straight pier which, in combination, can handle three ships at a time.  But it is not a second separate pier. There were three ships in port last time we were there.  First time we were there only one or two could dock, and on that - and two other subsequent - occasions we were the only ship there.

We had at least 4 I counted in January... tight. Nose to nose. Evidently it can handle 4. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We were there the week of march 20th and lots of algae. I wouldnt have gone in but others I am sure did. 

Unfortunately the algae has been a significant problem for that area of the Mexican coast and further south for several years now.  And it is expanding further. It is called Sargassum.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Here is a link to google maps that shows the dock:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Costa+Maya/@18.7317275,-87.693683,1060m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8f5b289b5874cd79:0x935f43d68be66e78!8m2!3d18.7332359!4d-87.6925989

I'm pretty sure the dock was like this last time I was there in 2020.   

The walk isn't too bad, IMO.   Nothing like the dock at Nassau.

Next time we go here I want to rent a golf cart and zip around.  

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm pretty sure the dock was like this last time I was there in 2020.   

The walk isn't too bad, IMO.   Nothing like the dock at Nassau.

Next time we go here I want to rent a golf cart and zip around.  

last time i was in nassau (aug 2021), we showed our sea pass card to get through security when we were finished shopping, and we were asked if we wanted a ride on a golf cart back to the ship. we didn't even hesitate!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

last time i was in nassau (aug 2021), we showed our sea pass card to get through security when we were finished shopping, and we were asked if we wanted a ride on a golf cart back to the ship. we didn't even hesitate!

I was there end of March with 6 large ships docked the line for those with mobility issues was over an hour wait. I heard from a couple people they only had 2 or 3 carts running.  I felt bad for them having to stand around and wait.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I was there end of March with 6 large ships docked the line for those with mobility issues was over an hour wait. I heard from a couple people they only had 2 or 3 carts running.  I felt bad for them having to stand around and wait.

We were just there two weeks ago - 4 ships in port.  That always has been quite a walk from the furthest pier out. Hopefully there will be some sort of tram or other setup once the port revitalization is completed as there will be at least one more large ship capacity to add to what already is a crowded port!

• Like 1

Trolley/shuttle working 2nd week of April. Its not a short walk so a ride was helpful to many. Very windy and pretty decent waves but the Allure managed just fine. Sargassum is becoming more of an issue in US and Caribbean.

We were there on Tuesday on the Oasis. Trolley is not working. That is a LONG pier. I remember a comedian who joked "They call it Costa Maya, but it should be called Close to Maya".  He also recommended having Royal Caribbean do a zipline to port!!

19 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Unfortunately the algae has been a significant problem for that area of the Mexican coast and further south for several years now.  And it is expanding further. It is called Sargassum.

We had that issue when we were there 4 years ago.  We had booked a beautiful beach club and they offered us the chance to cancel, but we went anyway.  My husband decided he wanted to go in the water, so we climbed over about 15 feet of the algae and then the water was beautiful.  Getting out was gross lol --it felt (and smelled) like you were walking in a large thing of tuna.

2 minutes ago, bluegirlum said:

We had that issue when we were there 4 years ago.  We had booked a beautiful beach club and they offered us the chance to cancel, but we went anyway.  My husband decided he wanted to go in the water, so we climbed over about 15 feet of the algae and then the water was beautiful.  Getting out was gross lol --it felt (and smelled) like you were walking in a large thing of tuna.

Was that by chance Maya Chan?  We have been there 4 times - algae and all.  Great place!

9 minutes ago, bluegirlum said:

Yes.  I totally blanked on the name! 🤦‍♀️ We loved it and can't wait to go back!

Wow.  What am I missing here?  How does 15 feet of algae that smells like tuna make someone can’t wait to get back?  There are so many beautiful beaches all over that don’t include 15 feet of algae or the smell of tuna.  

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Wow.  What am I missing here?  How does 15 feet of algae that smells like tuna make someone can’t wait to get back?  There are so many beautiful beaches all over that don’t include 15 feet of algae or the smell of tuna.  

The beach club itself is beautiful and the food and drinks are amazing.  When we were in Costa Maya, there was algae at every beach; it's not like this beach club was the only place that had it. It was either stay at the port and go in the pool with everyone else, or go to a beautiful beach for the day.  No brainer. They limit the number of people who can come each day and it was nice to be away from the busy ship.  I'm looking forward to going back when hopefully the algae isn't there.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluegirlum said:

The beach club itself is beautiful and the food and drinks are amazing.  When we were in Costa Maya, there was algae at every beach; it's not like this beach club was the only place that had it. It was either stay at the port and go in the pool with everyone else, or go to a beautiful beach for the day.  No brainer. They limit the number of people who can come each day and it was nice to be away from the busy ship.  I'm looking forward to going back when hopefully the algae isn't there.  

+1

Maya Chan is awesome.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluegirlum said:

Gotcha.  Being from Florida I can go to the beach all the time.  I’ll stay on the ship or browse town before going to a beach with that type of mess.  Hopefully it clears at some point.  Sad to have such beautiful beaches layered in that.  

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Gotcha.  Being from Florida I can go to the beach all the time.  I’ll stay on the ship or browse town before going to a beach with that type of mess.  Hopefully it clears at some point.  Sad to have such beautiful beaches layered in that.  

We have beaches in Wisconsin too, you know.  We just have to wear snowsuits instead of swimsuits most of the year and have ice instead of algae.  🤣  So any chance we get to be near/in warm water, we have to take advantage of it.  

2 hours ago, bluegirlum said:

We have beaches in Wisconsin too, you know.  We just have to wear snowsuits instead of swimsuits most of the year and have ice instead of algae.  🤣  So any chance we get to be near/in warm water, we have to take advantage of it.  

Beaches?  😂😂

BTW.  I’m no stranger to Wisconsin.  I’d much rather swim in Lake Mendota in May than a beach with that much algae.  But maybe I’d change my mind if I spent winters near you.  😄 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, topnole said:

Beaches?  😂😂

BTW.  I’m no stranger to Wisconsin.  I’d much rather swim in Lake Mendota in May than a beach with that much algae.  But maybe I’d change my mind if I spent winters near you.  😄 

I'd rather swim in a bathtub full of tuna algae than Lake Mendota anytime of year.  It's lovely to look at every day on my way to work but not so great for swimming anymore. 😂

6 minutes ago, bluegirlum said:

I'd rather swim in a bathtub full of tuna algae than Lake Mendota anytime of year.  It's lovely to look at every day on my way to work but not so great for swimming anymore. 😂

Ha ha ha.  That is hilarious.  

I love and miss Wisconsin.  But only in the summer!   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topnole said:

Florida is hardly exempt from sargassum.

https://www.miamidade.gov/releases/2022-04-22-pros-sargassum-seaweed-season.asp

It affects the east coasts of mainland and islands throughout the Caribbean -  but I see you are from the west coast of Florida so I guess you are OK.

Just as it is seasonal in Florida it is seasonal in Costa Maya and varies with wind and currents. We have been to Maya Chan when it is clear and when it has been a mess, although they do their best. I see they are closing this year from July-October (?).