Anyone been quarantined?

sallybrown2012

If anyone has come down with COVID and been quarantined while on the ship, I'm curious as to what the experience was like.  First off, how did you find out you had it - is there testing during the cruise?  Second, were you allowed to stay in your own cabin?  What about quarantining from your cabin-mates?  I wouldn't want to have to leave my balcony cabin, but on the other hand, I don't want my family to catch it - not sure what the answer is there.  Finally, if they moved you to a different cabin, what was it like?  I'm having nightmares of being stuck in an interior closet for a week and going nuts...

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1

There has been a couple of threads on here about people's experiences.  Ruby Princess has had big issues.  If you test positive you are moved to a quarantine cabin.  People have had issues getting room service and when they did food was cold.    

Do a search for Pescado Amarillo thread titled something about blogging from the Ruby Princess.  It eventually got locked but was still available to read til it disappeared down the list.

I think if you do a 7 day cruise most people find they have it once they get home.  It is the longer cruises that people start experiencing symptoms and the ship will test you. Not sure if they are still testing b2b people.

Yes, we were quarantined aboard. Found out we had Covid from the testing for back to back.oved from suite to quarantine balcony cabin in quarantine ward. They moved everything, in PPE, etc. They take your medallion, you can't leave the room, room service including from MDR, all you want, drink package still works, etc.

If only one is positive, any cabin mates who test negative can choose to quarantine with you (and subject to same isolation) or stay in original cabin and continue with cruise (with follow up tests every day for 2 or e days)

Quarantine is 10 days or til disembarkation, whichever comes first if asymptomatic or mild symptoms. If you're sicker than they can treat, you'll be disembarked at first appropriate port with treatment.

Cruise With Confidence plan covers shoreside quarantine, FCC for nights in quarantine aboard, etc 

We had no complaints about how it worked out for us - except of course actually catching Covid and missing our next cruise (reimbursed in full).

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

If only one is positive, any cabin mates who test negative can choose to quarantine with you (and subject to same isolation) or stay in original cabin and continue with cruise (

and don't forget the other options the cabin mate(s) who didn't test positive for Covid also have ...

38 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

What other options? There's either go into quarantine or not! 

What's missing? 

it's been reported here, that the non-positive cabin mate may leave the ship at an eligible port.  This may come at a cost to the passenger as the cruise wasn't completed to the returning port.  The positive cabin mate can serve the quarantine period as described, and once negative test and released, can complete the cruise and even book additional cruises.

1 hour ago, antsp said:

Why would anyone tell Princess they felt unwell or had covid

Because they're responsible citizens. To get sick in this day and age, not report it and spread COVID is reprehensible. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Because they're responsible citizens. To get sick in this day and age, not report it and spread COVID is reprehensible. 

But what if that person just hunkers down in their cabin?  I suppose the issue would be the room steward….

4 minutes ago, Wavesprite said:

But what if that person just hunkers down in their cabin?  I suppose the issue would be the room steward….

Room Steward, yes. But Room Service as well, unless they don't plan on eating or drinking. And of course, unlike a Room Steward, Room Service crew vary, so it wouldn't be just one person. While it sounds like hunkering down is the same as isolation, it isn't-There are a lot of protocols to follow when someone has Covid as opposed to something like a common cold. Yeah, it sucks, and no one wants their vacation ruined, but following procedure is the right thing to do. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Room Steward, yes. But Room Service as well, unless they don't plan on eating or drinking. And of course, unlike a Room Steward, Room Service crew vary, so it wouldn't be just one person. While it sounds like hunkering down is the same as isolation, it isn't-There are a lot of protocols to follow when someone has Covid as opposed to something like a common cold. Yeah, it sucks, and no one wants their vacation ruined, but following procedure is the right thing to do. 

Definitely, we cruise tomorrow.  My husband and I packed separately  this trip…just in case.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Wavesprite said:

Definitely, we cruise tomorrow.  My husband and I packed separately  this trip…just in case.

Enjoy your cruise.  But, for me I would use the same amount of suitcases and fill them with both your clothing.  Unless you are driving to the port and doing carry-ons, there always is a chance of lost luggage.  And if one person lost a suitcase with all their stuff, they might have to wear a toga made from the bed sheet during their cruise.

• Like 2

Just now, geocruiser said:

Enjoy your cruise.  But, for me I would use the same amount of suitcases and fill them with both your clothing.  Unless you are driving to the port and doing carry-ons, there always is a chance of lost luggage.  And if one person lost a suitcase with all their stuff, they might have to wear a toga made from the bed sheet during their cruise.

We are driving!  But definitely something to think about if flying! 

23 minutes ago, Wavesprite said:

We are driving!  But definitely something to think about if flying! 

And also at the pier.  I saw about 12 case slide off a pallet years into the water.  That is when my DH and I started sharing suite cases.

Please post about your cruise when you get back.  I would love to hear about it.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, antsp said:

Why would anyone tell Princess they felt unwell or had covid

Like others have said it is the responsible thing to do. I am convinced if more people actually had reported and been tested on the Ruby during our cruise it would have lessened the total number of positive people on the cruise and those of us who tested positive shortly after. The quicker people get into quarantine the leas spread. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mortalgroove said:

Like others have said it is the responsible thing to do. I am convinced if more people actually had reported and been tested on the Ruby during our cruise it would have lessened the total number of positive people on the cruise and those of us who tested positive shortly after. The quicker people get into quarantine the leas spread. 

first off, can we stipulate that catching the 'rona now on a cruise ship is all about the quarantine period, and not the actual illness itself ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

first off, can we stipulate that catching the 'rona now on a cruise ship is all about the quarantine period, and not the actual illness itself ?

No.  I read this morning that with Omicron (January -February) that about 42% of people who died because of it were vaccinated and boosted.  There are lots of people who don't seem to care if they get it because many people have a "mild" case.  Problem is, not every case is mild.

• Like 8