Coveted Cruise Atlas?

bobpell

While on spic and span Rotterdam at the end of March 2022 I came across the Future Cruise outpost just adjacent the always busy Guest Services  desk.

A plexy glass rack of 2022-2023 single page cruise itineraries were available for interested guest pick up and perusal. The paper sheets were broken down in regions, Caribbean, Med etc.

I immediately thought of my invaluable Cruise Atlas I saved from April 2020 to April 2021. Was that the last one I will ever see?

It is still my armchair favorite reading material as it contained all cruises and deck plans under one glossy cover.

Is its demise upon us like the live HAL cats, venerable libraries (except Rotterdam) and  free lobster??

I will miss it

Bob

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I asked the future cruise consultant on the Nieuw Statendam in April and was told that there was too much uncertainty to print one.  Whether this was true or not I don't know.

I don't doubt it - still too many ports and parts of the world affected by Covid

• Like 2

I remember having all the latest brochures of all the popular cruise lines, I would stop at a travel agency often in a mall where I worked to constantly make sure I had the latest brochures. It was great to have the deck plans of all the ships and cruise lines. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love them; still have the 20-21 Atlas, and still refer to it. 

When I had a current one I would look through it constantly until I stumbled upon a cruise I would like to take. Then I would research it a bit more, contact my TA, and book it. I can't count the number of  cruises, and HAL can't count the amount of money, that came from those few spare minutes of perusing the Atlas that was part of my Mariner benefits. 

• Like 2

You all have brought tears to my ancient eyes. I, too, used to covet the cruise Atlases. I know that many of its functions are available through various online sources but I was in the book business for 50 years and I like to hold a book in my hands. I do understand the uncertainty of cruising today (until we get a better handle on COVID) but styill....

Jim

• Like 1

The future of Holland America is still far too fluid to put any plan in print just yet.

Hopefully the atlas will return for 2024. I have cruise brochures dating back to 1987 on various cruise lines (many long gone). It's quite interesting to look at the changes over time and I do hope that a print version becomes available again. If even for a nominal charge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still have the atlas that went with my first adult cruise - NCL to Bermuda.

It had one of my favorite lines of all time....

Knock Knock, Who's There, It's room service, It's free and it's available 24 hours a day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We just received in the mail a thick and luxurious brochure from Oceania for Tropics & Exotics, plus Europe & North America 2024.

Even if it's for download only, it'll be great to see more of HAL's plans for 2024.

We got that Oceania brochure, too.  Today we got a Silversea brochure with our TA as the sender and we've never cruised Silversea.  I tell DH if we didn't get cruise line mail we wouldn't get any mail at all.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We got that Oceania brochure, too.  Today we got a Silversea brochure with our TA as the sender and we've never cruised Silversea.  I tell DH if we didn't get cruise line mail we wouldn't get any mail at all.  🙄

Oceania has some very ambitious itineraries for 2024.  Much more so than in the past, seems like.  

• Like 1

I feel very much in the dark as to how correctly/responsibly to respond to CC posters who ask about the current itineraries.  Without the Cruise Atlas beside me as I respond, how can I helpfully answer the poster's inquiry?  

Too early to print a definitive Cruise Atlas with cruises that are expected to be experienced? Yes, it is.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I feel very much in the dark as to how correctly/responsibly to respond to CC posters who ask about the current itineraries.  Without the Cruise Atlas beside me as I respond, how can I helpfully answer the poster's inquiry?  

Too early to print a definitive Cruise Atlas with cruises that are expected to be experienced? Yes, it is.  

I think it's too early, too. 

As originally posted there are many sheets of projected HAL cruises on a rack just outside the FCC desk. (we were on the Rotterdam early April.)

If HAL can build cruises for 2022-2023 and ask you to book them why can't they put them all in a glossy book instead of asking you to pick up 2 or more pages based on where they will sail regionally? I like RuthC have booked all my cruises from the Atlas.

I wouldn't mind if ports change after the Atlas was published although I think that would be rare.

Bob

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bobpell said:

If HAL can build cruises for 2022-2023 and ask you to book them why can't they put them all in a glossy book instead of asking you to pick up 2 or more pages based on where they will sail regionally?

The price differential.