Celebrity Sky Suite Refurbish Surprises

woldridge

Thanks, Barbara and Bob for you review.  Now I’m super glad we chose Connie for our cruise last month.  Have a good second cruise and I hope to see a review of that one, including the ports.   

• Like 1

Overall, very nice cruise. We are staying on for the next cruise but in an aft CC cabin. They let us move our stuff tonight as the room was empty. All unpacked which will make a stress free tomorrow.

The new room is so much better, but of course smaller. Lots more drawer space , and even more closet space. Magnetic walls, grab bar in shower as well as a clothes line. Shelves in the bathroom. Huge aft balcony with 2 chairs, 2 loungers and a table.

I will do a review of this room in a few days.

Barb

• Like 2

We were once put into an accessible cabin on Celebrity.   There is no lip for the roll in shower so I used the showers in the Spa every day so I would not flood the bathroom.    We had no tub, so if this is a problem ask for an accessible suite and you will have plenty of room to shower and no tub to climb in.   The higher level suites, if not accessible, have both a shower and a tub.

I will never ever understand the extreme measures people are taking to remove/hide the tchotchkies/room decor from the revolutionized suites.

How does the existence of a vase or piece of coral in your room negatively impact your cruise experience so badly that you feel it must be removed or hidden away? 😂

Edited by Cruise Gopher
  • Like 1

Kelly and Lisa should stay together for  a week in a SS or lower category  on the Summit instead of the Iconic suites that they stay in on the Edge Class.   Then they may get a concept of what is really needed instead of the useless furniture and decorations that take up precious surfaces and  space.  

They don’t have a clue when they stay in a suite where the balcony that is 689 sq ft is larger than most cabins and the suite itself at 1892 sq ft is larger than most houses.  

Happy cruising  🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I will never ever understand the extreme measures people are taking to remove/hide the tchotchkies/room decor from the revolutionized suites.

When useful space is at a premium, you do whatcha gotta do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, kenb said:

The lack of a grab bar is just dangerous. Because the tub wall is so tall and the lack of a grab bar made it impossible to get into the tub to take a shower. I had issues but was able to get in the tub. Our retreat host and her boss arrange for my wife to use an unoccupied room that had a real shower. We have booked a sky suite for a 2023 cruise but it was a handicapped room so we should not have any issues.

There must not be any building codes for cruise ships.  All showers and tubs should have at least one grab bar. Standing on a wet surface while at sea. Ugh!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Thanks for letting me see your suite.  No way I would pay the premium that cabin commands.  Not sure I could live in there.  The loss of the walk-in closet is too much.  And as I get older, that tub, which used to be difficult, becomes insurmountable.  I will be changing some reservations.  Thanks again for the heads up!

One of the things you can do is write to Lisa's office and ask them to put the grab bar and shower line in the suite you reserve.  They should respond.  I'm not sure why they didn't put those things back in.  When we cruised on Summit after the "revolution" and saw the closet we were shocked.  Why would they do that?  Also a friend of ours was in a verandah and had a shower line and lots of drawers (and they weren't on the floor) and I believe a bar in the shower.   The pre refurb tubs had a nice long bar in there and also a bar in the back of the shower.  All those were removed.    We are on Summit next.  Hope you have a great cruise.

12 hours ago, woldridge said:

Overall, very nice cruise. We are staying on for the next cruise but in an aft CC cabin. They let us move our stuff tonight as the room was empty. All unpacked which will make a stress free tomorrow.

The new room is so much better, but of course smaller. Lots more drawer space , and even more closet space. Magnetic walls, grab bar in shower as well as a clothes line. Shelves in the bathroom. Huge aft balcony with 2 chairs, 2 loungers and a table.

Barb

Yes a friend was in a verandah cabin after the reburb and had lots of drawer space, shower line and bar and hooks in bathroom.  She also had little shelves on either side of the sink.  They took them out of the sky suites.

11 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

How does the existence of a vase or piece of coral in your room negatively impact your cruise experience so badly that you feel it must be removed or hidden away? 😂

They need to make sure the pearls are easily accessible for frequent clutching 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, woldridge said:

The sky suites next to the penthouse rooms on the M class ships are amazing. I like the Sky Suites on the S Class better. Have not been on the Edge class yet.

Suites vary, even on the same ships.

Can you explain what M class and S class means?  Thank you.  I have not sailed Celebrity yet and do not know what the Letters mean.  Thank you

On 5/3/2022 at 9:20 AM, chemmo said:

Many years ago now we were on the Millennium and chatted to an elderly couple in Michael’s who had booked the CS as a treat for their anniversary. Quite simply she could not use the bathtub and he described it as a ‘bit of a challenge’. Far too dangerous for her to even attempt, she was not disabled but small and her balance and mobility were not wonderful. It definitely took the edge off the pleasure of their cruise. Fortunately, they did tell tell the concierge part way through the cruise who was able to get them an empty inside cabin to use to shower in…Not ideal but better than nothing. 

Our butler arranged for us to look at other cabin types on swap over day (we were on a b2b) and we could clearly see the issue…

I think that the CS suites on M class definitely need some sort of ‘unsuitable for the less mobile’ warning and, as you say, some grab rails in many suites would be welcomed by many! 

where would you attach a grab rail?

12 hours ago, woldridge said:

Barb

which ship were you on?

41 minutes ago, marycruz said:

One of the things you can do is write to Lisa's office and ask them to put the grab bar and shower line in the suite you reserve.  They should respond.  I'm not sure why they didn't put those things back in.  When we cruised on Summit after the "revolution" and saw the closet we were shocked.  Why would they do that?  Also a friend of ours was in a verandah and had a shower line and lots of drawers (and they weren't on the floor) and I believe a bar in the shower.   The pre refurb tubs had a nice long bar in there and also a bar in the back of the shower.  All those were removed.    We are on Summit next.  Hope you have a great cruise.

On the Summit there are no showers in the suites until the Royal suite. I will love to go from a Sky to a Celebrity suite but they all have those horrible tubs. That's why we had to book a handicapped Sky suite.

14 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Can you explain what M class and S class means?  Thank you.  I have not sailed Celebrity yet and do not know what the Letters mean.  Thank you

M class, oldest: 4 ships, first was Millennium

S class, next generation, 5 ships, first was Solstice

E class, most recent generation, 4 ships, first was Edge

"Gray and orange"?? LOL. The correct term for the color is "greige" which was the hot designer thing about the time of the Hoppening. Just thank the stars that Hoppen wasn't obsessed with ship lap. Personally I thought the lighter, brighter look after the supposed revolution was welcome in both the SS and in the Retreat Lounge.

I'm surprised to see this thread now. I thought all the backlash against the Hoppening was over years ago now. At least this SS didn't have a freaking ROCKING CHAIR in it!

I do remember that there were almost no magnetic surfaces anymore after the Hoppening (in our Summit SS), though there was one, perhaps the wall to the bathroom near the cabin door? Difficult to remember two and a half years on.

Sure there are some weird and unfortunate things about it but generally everything was still functional enough. Frankly I always found the tub a PITA to use so screw showering, go rinse off in the pool shower (where's there's plenty of space) before and after a nice dip and maybe a nap in the T-pool.

43 minutes ago, canderson said:

M class, oldest: 4 ships, first was Millennium

S class, next generation, 5 ships, first was Solstice

E class, most recent generation, 4 ships, first was Edge

Thank you very much for the explanation..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They need to make sure the pearls are easily accessible for frequent clutching 😲

We spend so much time in our suite and the esthetics are important to us.  Idon’t wear pearls 😆 but we will be having our butler remove and store most of the “stuff” sitting around.  

On 5/3/2022 at 6:16 AM, Minniebug said:

always bring your own nightlight...no biggy.

I have battery operated one that is motion censored so it comes on when I walk into bathroom that I will bring on my next cruise.

I cruised in two Summit Celebrity Suites a few weeks apart (Deck 6 and Deck 9).  I kvetched about the clutter in my first one to the Retreat Concierge.  When I arrived the next time, all but about two pieces of the clutter had been removed, including the awful moldy live plant on the floor by the desk.  It had played havoc with my allergies.  The room looked so much more serene and inviting.  It made a difference (even though I still had to go next door to a vacant A2 cabin to take a shower).

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 2

Do we soon have to take a U-haul trailer to cruising ?   To bring footstools, bigger table, grab bars for bath, curtains to darken room, light fixture for bathroom, foldable shelves, etc etc.

If this is modern luxury, I rather have the old fashioned one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am a bit worried about not having a grab bar in my SS on my Sept . cruise on the Summit.Our last cruise was in a SS on the Equinox in Oct 2019 and did not get the full refurbish . At first I was disappointed that it was not fully refurbished but now realized how much I loved the old look and feel. The shower was a little bit difficult to get in and out of but it did have the bar. With out one I am a bit worried since I have been having knee problems.I may look into a grab bar to take !! Has anyone found and used one that they liked ??