What about the other bread condiments?

MisterOJ2

So, every time I notice the  bread condiments (other than whipped butter) listed on the menu, I am always intrigued. I'd sort of like to try the bacon pan drippings or olive tapenade, but they've never been offered to me. And, I've never really asked for them either. 

Has anyone else ever tried them? Did you have to ask for them specifically? I'm curious to see if they are actually available and worth asking for.

Asked for them and never received 3 different evenings :(.... 

We were curious as to that they looked liked and wanted to try.  We all ordered something different and all got the whipped butter... LOL

All good though, less bread for my belly🤣

In December, our servers brought them automatically (its like a different flavor was assigned to each day)   We really liked the Garlic and the Olive.  The Bacon, was literally Bacon grease.. so I didn't care for that one (and that's saying a lot since I'm in the south and literally everything is cooked in bacon grease)

I'd ask.. and then ask again if you still don't get it.

1 hour ago, bsjcb2000 said:

In December, our servers brought them automatically (its like a different flavor was assigned to each day)   We really liked the Garlic and the Olive.  The Bacon, was literally Bacon grease.. so I didn't care for that one (and that's saying a lot since I'm in the south and literally everything is cooked in bacon grease)

I'd ask.. and then ask again if you still don't get it.

The bacon was exactly bacon grease and bits. I like bacon, but not the grease smeared on bread.

27 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Daaammm! That looks pretty good to me! Sopping that up with a biscuit or bread....yummmmm.

When you can find biscuits on Carnival, they are usually disgusting, too 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I received the whipped butter (50% less butter by volume) and the olive oil drizzle with every MDR meal on Panorama last week. I did need to send one basket of bread back. They forgot to cook it. 

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

When you can find biscuits on Carnival, they are usually disgusting, too 

I've never met a biscuit I couldn't eat, especially if it didn't have either gravy or bacon bit drippings.:classic_laugh:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

So, every time I notice the  bread condiments (other than whipped butter) listed on the menu, I am always intrigued. I'd sort of like to try the bacon pan drippings or olive tapenade, but they've never been offered to me. And, I've never really asked for them either. 

Has anyone else ever tried them? Did you have to ask for them specifically? I'm curious to see if they are actually available and worth asking for.

think it depends on your waiters. One table we had last week gave us all 3 things listed on the menu.

The other table we had just gave us the butter. If you asked they gave you the others. I am not supposed to eat butter so the one I had with olive oil and balsamic was very good.

12 hours ago, Moviela said:

I received the whipped butter (50% less butter by volume) and the olive oil drizzle with every MDR meal on Panorama last week. I did need to send one basket of bread back. They forgot to cook it. 

Forgot to cook it!  Yikes!  😄😄😄

12 hours ago, Moviela said:

Did you ask for them to leave the basket of bread at your table? Both cruises I have been on since the restart have just served the table from a large bread basket.

4 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

Did you ask for them to leave the basket of bread at your table?

Carnival is keen to minimize food waste and while I support conservation I want more than a slice of bread with dinner. I also don't want to wait for more to be brought during the meal. It seems like the restaurant is in the stern, and the bread is kept in the bow, because of the time needed for delivery to the table. 

When first contacted by the waiter I give instruction on how I want the basket populated and how much butter to bring. It works for both of us. When I leave there is nothing in the basket except the towel. 

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

So you didn't want bacon pan drippings? Yet you ordered it. 

I ordered it because I wanted to try it. I try to learn from my mistakes. I was seduced by the word bacon.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I ordered it because I wanted to try it. I try to learn from my mistakes. I was seduced by the word bacon.

I also ordered it and was repulsed by it.  Here @ home there is a place that has a "bacon drippings" sauce for the bread that is amazing, robust, and full of flavor.  I'll be honest, I was hopefully expecting something like that.  What I rec'd was literally a cup of bacon grease.  No flavor (how is that possible?) just greasy tasting.   it was one of the few things that stood out in a negative way from our cruise.  But, we only made the mistake of ordering it once 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I've never met a biscuit I couldn't eat, especially if it didn't have either gravy or bacon bit drippings.:classic_laugh:

The ones they serve at brunch are better suited for skeet shooting.

• Haha 2

My wife and I have found in general biscuits on a cruise line are poor. You might try it once and if it is not to yur liking, don;t order it again. But quit complaining. Other countries the word might mean something a little different.

I learned that the hard way. I once ordered 'bangers' for breakfast. I'd read books written by British authors and thought banger was just another name for a sausage. I hated what i got. Needless to say , I never ordered again. I watched when another passenger on a later cruise ordered it.They got the same thing but seemed to like it...

I can eat many forms of sausage from boudin to smoked sausage... a  banger is NOT one of them.