Luggage - allowed to carry own suitcases?

dmdiver

I thought I had asked this before, but maybe not.  Does NCL allow you to carry on your own regular-sized suitcase?  All other cruise lines that we have sailed will allow you to do so - you go through security just like when you are in port or at an airport.  NCL chat says nothing over 24x18, but I never know if chats are real people or just programmed bots.

15 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

I thought I had asked this before, but maybe not.  Does NCL allow you to carry on your own regular-sized suitcase?  All other cruise lines that we have sailed will allow you to do so - you go through security just like when you are in port or at an airport.  NCL chat says nothing over 24x18, but I never know if chats are real people or just programmed bots.

As long as your suitcase can fit the port's luggage xray scanner that is typically similar in size to those at the airport you can carry it on. Typically those scanners can't take anything much bigger than a typical carryon bag .

Thanks for the info.  The port scanners on our Carnival cruises could accommodate a full size suitcase. They don't care how tall they are, since they lay down on the scanner.  They only care about the height/width laying down.  Our new suitcases are smaller, but still 26 inches when you take the wheels into account.  

Now I am wondering if they meant laying down.  Maybe I will give them a call in the morning.

5 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

Thanks for the info.  The port scanners on our Carnival cruises could accommodate a full size suitcase. They don't care how tall they are, since they lay down on the scanner.  They only care about the height/width laying down.  Our new suitcases are smaller, but still 26 inches when you take the wheels into account.  

Now I am wondering if they meant laying down.  Maybe I will give them a call in the morning.

No one you call will have an answer you can rely on. The scanners can be different sizes in different ports. It's not an operation with (at least in theory) uniform national rules like TSA, it's a locally run operation in each port.

I chatted again & that person said it can be measured with the suitcase laying down.  I guess we will find out the truth on Sunday when we get to the port.  I just remember the scanners in port being a lot larger than the airport scanners. 

I feel like I asked about this when we first booked, but the search function didn't help & it was probably back in 2019 when we booked that first 2020 cruise, so things could have changed since then anyway.

they won't let you bring a 24-26 inch bag on board yourself. and, no, i can't point to a term or condition prohibiting it... i just know that i have never seen a bag screening machine in use at an NCL cruise checkpoint that would accommodate anything larger than a standard carryon.

you can carry on a US or european carryon-sized bag and you could presumably take two, if you can manage. conversely, you can carry a 26 inch bag off the ship upon arrival, if you're doing self-assist "debarkation."

which port are you sailing from? somebody with specific knowledge of that port may be able to provide actual knowledge of what has recently been in use. is it galveston? well, then, maybe. everything is bigger in texas, after all.

be aware that if you want to wait till you get to the port and see if it fits... you may be asked to leave the security area to check your bag with a porter... and you may have to  rejoin the security line from the back of the line.

Edited by UKstages

54 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

It has to fit through a standard xray scanner. Your fellow passengers desire that you do not carry your own luggage, crowding seating areas, struggling down halls and gangways, and once on the ship crowding halls, elevators, and restaurants. Just give it to a porter and make everyone happy. 

• Like 3

The TSA airport scanners look both vertically and horizontally as the object goes through

the scanner. Preferred laying on side with handle on the horizonal mode - not on the top.

If in doubt the TSA agent will adjust as necessary.

The cruise ship security check-in scanners are 1st generation scanners and smaller.

While the checked luggage ones in the hold of the ship are much larger.

The security scanners are generally looking for weapons of mass freedom of fees revenue

items i.e. liquor wine beer pop cans and maybe other contraband 

or other suspicious gear toasters coffee makers heating pads irons and ilk of that nature.

Oh did I mention the kitchen sink and most anything that stupid is what stupid does.

People people please leave the household items at home you are vacationing from the

household duty. LOL !

Like njhorseman just posted:

No one you call will have an answer you can rely on. The scanners can be different sizes in different ports. It's not an operation with (at least in theory) uniform national rules like TSA, it's a locally run operation in each port.

The scanners at the embarking port of origin are bigger and more sophisticated than the

gangway scanners on board the ship for use checking items purchased at a port shop.

In our many experiences if your luggage goes through the airport it will go through at NCL.  I will go through the extra "hassle" of carrying luggage onboard rather than not have it delivered to the cabin.  I know most get there, but believe me when it doesnt, it is not fun

Not only can you carry on your luggage of any size (I have seen lots of very large suitcases being carried on) but they have a room/area where you can leave your carry on until your room is ready. Not sure which port you are sailing from but Miami and Port Canaveral have very large scanners. We have carried on normal size luggage and never had an issue.

We almost always carry a medium sized suitcase on and I’ve seen much larger cases being brought on.  My husband is above average height and I, unfortunately, am above average width.  So if we were to not have luggage delivered, it’s not as simple as running down to the shops for new clothes.

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Just give it to a porter and make everyone happy. 

Thats until your the one who's luggage never makes it to your cabin and NCL is little help

Anecdote:  I tried to take my 26" suitcase on board at San Juan cruise terminal, and they made me give it to the porter instead.  (Feb 2020 cruise)

Could it have fit the scanner lying down?  Who knows, they didn't let me try.

Could I have taken it on board at another terminal?  <shrug> 

I'm with @melodyesch, losing my luggage is my biggest fear, because I am not a standard size & I can't just accept OBC & get a few things at the gift shop.  I've been on cruises where NOTHING in the gift shop is my size.  

even if you could carry your luggage onboard with you, why would you want to schlep it along, especially if youre traveling with more than one person, and kids. its so much easier to just give it to a porter slip him $10 and have it show up infront of your cabin door a few hours later. in over 20 cruises within the past 30 years, we've never had a problem (knock on wood)

Back in 2019 I took a one night cruise on HAL from Seattle to Vancouver, where I got on a longer NCL cruise.  HAL sails out of a different terminal than NCL in Seattle, but for that one-nighter, HAL was not offering baggage but they obviously had a large enough scanner as I was able to carry on my large suitcase.  My point is it just could depend on the port.  

Have you considered taking two smaller suitcases instead?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trivimp said:

I'm with @melodyesch, losing my luggage is my biggest fear,

How likely is it that your luggage will be lost?  Um, super unlikely.  Maybe a 2 percent chance or less, if that?

That said, if it's that worrisome, then bring it with you through security. If they deny it, then retrace your steps and give it to the porters.  At least you did whatever was in your power to allay your concerns....then go have a wonderful cruise!

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It has to fit through a standard xray scanner. Your fellow passengers desire that you do not carry your own luggage, crowding seating areas, struggling down halls and gangways, and once on the ship crowding halls, elevators, and restaurants. Just give it to a porter and make everyone happy. 

We made this mistake on our first cruise.  It was a big pain.  I wouldn’t recommend it.  Just check it.  

Edited by janice2348

On one of our trips out of Boston, a port worker would not let two women bring their overstuffed carry on bags on the escalator. He told them they were too big and needed to be left with the porters. My husband had dropped me off before he went to park, so I did observe this area for a while. Later on, when a different worker was stationed at the bottom of the escalator, I saw people going up with similar size bags. So it depends on the port and the port staff.

The 2 bags we have are 17x24, but have wheels, which makes them closer to 26, so I know they wouldn't be allowed as airline carryon due to the size of the overhead bins.  However, laying flat on a scanner, there would be no problem going through. We've carried on in Galveston, Miami & Ft. Lauderdale and all those scanners were larger than airport carryon scanners.  Never been to the Seattle port so no clue.

And as for those who worry about me handling my luggage, believe me, a 39 pound suitcase is not an issue for me.  I have taken my own luggage on board on many cruises - ever since hubby's cuff links went missing.  Why he put them in checked luggage is beyond me.

As for those who say the risk is too small to worry about, it's all gonna be okay - until it isn't.  A 1% chance of losing your luggage is no big deal until you are in that 1%.  And yes, I worry on the flight as well, but just don't know how to pack for Alaska in an airline carryon.

• Like 1