Think Twice Before Booking Royal Caribbean

What is confusing is the inconsistency from Royal. I was booked on Radiance Transpacific for 2022. This was cancelled but they allowed me to lift and shift to ovation of the Seas 2023 at the same rate as the Radiance for 2022.  It is an excellent deal! I was also booked on Serenade Transatlantic for 2023 which has been cancelled and basically was offered nothing in return. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CoolChange37 said:

You might want to check out the Epic.   On all the cruises I have been on, this was my least favorite ship.    The layout is horrible and if you were booked in the grand suite, you are going to be really disappointed.   

I totally agree with you.  We've been on over 40 cruises (RCL, NCL, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Premier, Regent).  The Epic was the worst ship we've ever been on.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, LadyBerard said:

I totally agree with you.  We've been on over 40 cruises (RCL, NCL, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Premier, Regent).  The Epic was the worst ship we've ever been on.

I concur. It really turned me off to sailing on NCL in general.

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

I concur. It really turned me off to sailing on NCL in general.

Swearing off an entire cruise line because of one ship that even the line admits (maybe not in these words) might have been a failure?  That ship is its own 'class', it's the only one like it in the fleet...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Swearing off an entire cruise line because of one ship that even the line admits (maybe not in these words) might have been a failure?  That ship is its own 'class', it's the only one like it in the fleet...

Sailing the Epic wasn't the only reason but most likely the straw that broke the camel's back. I have sailed 2 other NCL ships (Sunx3 and POAx1) and was equally unimpressed by them, and the crew in general (though there was one stand out crewmember). And NCL's policies in general. Will never give NCL another dollar.

Edited by Computer Nerd

On 5/10/2022 at 1:32 AM, CoolChange37 said:

You might want to check out the Epic.   On all the cruises I have been on, this was my least favorite ship.    The layout is horrible and if you were booked in the grand suite, you are going to be really disappointed.   

On 5/8/2022 at 8:45 PM, smeck said:

Good luck on the Epic not a well designed ship, I hated it!!

I love the Epic! Americans seem to have a real hate of the bathroom set up which I like. I also think the Haven area is great on that ship. Pricilla Queen of rather Desert is also a fantastic show.

This is why there are many ships and lines so much choice 😁

• Like 3

SullytheBFG, I am an NCL fan as you can see from the cruises I've been on and the Epic was not my fav.   I wish the POA would be changed out for a newer ship, but its understandable as you are in a different port everyday.   The Epic just does not compare to the other NCL classes.  I prefer complete privacy when in the bathroom (shower, sink and toilet) so as not to disturb my husband and visa versa.  This isn't the case for the Epic.   Toilet one side of the cabin and shower the other, and both behind a frosted curtain, and the sink is in the bedding area.   This is a real "no thanks" for me.  Very uncomfortable situation when the main door opens!   And RCCL with their higher prices and charging for everything (well the things I would normally do), makes for an expensive vacation when you can do the same on other cruise lines at a much lower price for the newer or newly remodeled ships.   And, I personally wouldn't pay the prices for the Haven or the Yacht Club or those premium rooms as I'm not in there enough.  Which brings me back to Epic.  Although I'm not in the cabin very much, when I am, I prefer those areas to be separate, but enclosed together.   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Sailing the Epic wasn't the only reason but most likely the straw that broke the camel's back. I have sailed 2 other NCL ships (Sunx3 and POAx1) and was equally unimpressed by them, and the crew in general (though there was one stand out crewmember). And NCL's policies in general. Will never give NCL another dollar.

You sailed on two rust buckets in NCL's fleet and the POA has an all American crew due to it being a US flagged ship so you're stuck with the attitudes that go along with it.

If you have time to kill one day, check out the YouTube previews of the Prima, it's going to be a game changer for them, similar to how the Oasis Class was for RCI.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CoolChange37 said:

SullytheBFG, I am an NCL fan as you can see from the cruises I've been on and the Epic was not my fav.   I wish the POA would be changed out for a newer ship, but its understandable as you are in a different port everyday.   The Epic just does not compare to the other NCL classes.  I prefer complete privacy when in the bathroom (shower, sink and toilet) so as not to disturb my husband and visa versa.  This isn't the case for the Epic.   Toilet one side of the cabin and shower the other, and both behind a frosted curtain, and the sink is in the bedding area.   This is a real "no thanks" for me.  Very uncomfortable situation when the main door opens!   And RCCL with their higher prices and charging for everything (well the things I would normally do), makes for an expensive vacation when you can do the same on other cruise lines at a much lower price for the newer or newly remodeled ships.   And, I personally wouldn't pay the prices for the Haven or the Yacht Club or those premium rooms as I'm not in there enough.  Which brings me back to Epic.  Although I'm not in the cabin very much, when I am, I prefer those areas to be separate, but enclosed together.   

No other ship is allowed to do the PoA itineraries due to flagging issues. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 5:46 PM, Jimbo said:

When you put your house up for sale and when you are selecting a realtor/agency that is the time where you should be negotiating what percentage the commission that will be given out after the sale.

Some agency's will take less just to get a listing, when they know a house will sell super fast that don't mind making a quick buck rather then the high commission. Time is money, and if they can sell the house really fast they don't mind taking less and putting more $$ in your pocket.

You have to shop around for the best deal.

The reason a house sells fast is because it is under priced.  When I sell property I don't want the cheapest agent.  If he is so quick to give up on his money he'll be quick to give up on mine.  I want my house sold for the highest value possible.  Good service and great industry knowledge is worth a lot more than a couple hundred bucks a cruise.  If Covid and all the chaos that ensued hasn't taught people that I don't know what to say.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The reason a house sells fast is because it is under priced.  When I sell property I don't want the cheapest agent.  If he is so quick to give up on his money he'll be quick to give up on mine.  I want my house sold for the highest value possible.  Good service and great industry knowledge is worth a lot more than a couple hundred bucks a cruise.  If Covid and all the chaos that ensued hasn't taught people that I don't know what to say.

Situation now is doesn't matter if it is under priced or not. Because people with great houses are getting multiple offers over asking prices anyway.

In the end the seller is the one who decide to take the offer or not anyway.

If you over price the house you are selling you won't even get people to come view the house. There is a fine line when pricing a house to get views. That is what you want is eyes on the property to sell it fast.

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Situation now is doesn't matter if it is under priced or not. Because people with great houses are getting multiple offers over asking prices anyway.

In the end the seller is the one who decide to take the offer or not anyway.

If you over price the house you are selling you won't even get people to come view the house. There is a fine line when pricing a house to get views. That is what you want is eyes on the property to sell it fast.

I don't know what to tell you Jim except I have bought and sold multiple properties over the last two decades in one of the hottest real estate markets over that extended period. Even the collapse of 07/08 didn't slow things down in the Vancouver Canada market.  I have a little experience in this area.

Listing agents with lots of listings attracted by low commissions don't work on your behalf like an agent who provides expert service.  A good agent with a standard commission will always end up leaving more money in your pocket than an agent racking up listings because she'll sell your house the cheapest.

I whole hearted believe the same principle is true with cruise travel agents.  That has been my experience anyways. The value of good agent isn't always seen when everything goes perfect.  The value is seen when things don't go according to plan.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CoolChange37 said:

The only reason we got Haven was we taking my Mum with us. We managed to move from a balcony to a 2 bed, 2 bathroom suite 10 days before for less than $1k for all of us.it was one of the last cruises we went on before she passed away. They treated her like a princess and she loved it.

I have sailed on quite a few of the other big NCL ships. We get some really good prices for Europe, Barcelona is a cheap one hour flight.

we normally opt for an inside or balcony and flip between NCL and RC.

just happy for a holiday!