Covid rapid test question

csoud68

If you need to have a test done 48 hrs in advance and your sail date is on a  sunday  at 4, does that mean.you can get one anytime on friday? or will you need to wait til 4pm on friday  to be wiithin 48 hrs?

I told my 77 yr old mom she could get it done first thing on fri but she says thats over 48 hrs...shes killing me..

• Haha 1

Yes...No earlier than a Friday for a Sunday cruise should be the standard answer. It's based on the date on your test results not the specific time the test was done...and since you're quoting the 48 hr. time frame I'll just make an assumption.

I'm one of those mom's too...we need patience sometimes.. :classic_wink:

Hope she enjoys her cruise.

Edited by Ashland

7 minutes ago, britincanada said:

If the specification is 48 hours then it should be no more than 48 hours before. If it specifies '2 days' then the test could be any time Friday for a Sunday cruise.

Let’s not forget that we’re talking about travel and, with cruises, that often means across multiple time zones enroute to embarkation. 
Can you imagine the folly of someone at the port accounting for X hours difference if it wasn’t just calendar days?

Our preferred cruise line uses calendar days and I expect that most, if not all, others do the same.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let’s not forget that we’re talking about travel and, with cruises, that often means across multiple time zones enroute to embarkation. 
Can you imagine the folly of someone at the port accounting for X hours difference if it wasn’t just calendar days?

Our preferred cruise line uses calendar days and I expect that most, if not all, others do the same.

We are travelling with Virgin Voyages at the end of the month - for Caribbean sailings they specify '48 hours prior to boarding', and UK/European sailings they specify '72 hours prior to boarding'. It looks like the OP's cruise line states 48 hours also. And yes, accounting for any time difference between home & port is important, otherwise a traveller may end of having to test again & potentially pay, depending on the cruise line (VV doesn't charge at port, which is good as we are flying to MIA very early in the morning 2 days before our cruise and boarding starts at 2pm).

As someone who likes to 'follow rules' and be sure of the details I read 48 hours as just that, thinking if the cruise line meant '2 days' they would say 2 days. 

31 minutes ago, britincanada said:

We are travelling with Virgin Voyages at the end of the month - for Caribbean sailings they specify '48 hours prior to boarding', and UK/European sailings they specify '72 hours prior to boarding'. It looks like the OP's cruise line states 48 hours also. And yes, accounting for any time difference between home & port is important, otherwise a traveller may end of having to test again & potentially pay, depending on the cruise line (VV doesn't charge at port, which is good as we are flying to MIA very early in the morning 2 days before our cruise and boarding starts at 2pm).

As someone who likes to 'follow rules' and be sure of the details I read 48 hours as just that, thinking if the cruise line meant '2 days' they would say 2 days. 

While I agree that “attention to detail” is always important, I trust that a call to the cruise line asking for clarity (in a written communication back to you) is in order. Also, some cruise lines provide that clarification in their Covid FAQs on their website. Our preferred cruise line uses the 48/72 hrs lingo but, in its FAQs, has a chart that clarifies it as calendar days. 

12 hours ago, csoud68 said:

If you need to have a test done 48 hrs in advance and your sail date is on a  sunday  at 4, does that mean.you can get one anytime on friday? or will you need to wait til 4pm on friday  to be wiithin 48 hrs?

I told my 77 yr old mom she could get it done first thing on fri but she says thats over 48 hrs...shes killing me..

You need to post this question on the board for the cruise line  your mother is on, and read the COVID testing protocols and FAQs on that cruise line's website.

Anyone who has tried to give you a definitive answer without knowing what cruise line and itinerary you're asking about is just spitting into the wind . They might be right...they might be wrong...but they really don't know.

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Depends on the country you are talking about. Without specifics, hard to answer your questions. 

Agree.  If CDC rules apply to the OP's case, the it is two days as opposed to 48 hours.  For a Sunday cruise the test has to be no earlier than Friday.  No need to count hours -- anytime one Friday is fine.  

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Agree.  If CDC rules apply to the OP's case, the it is two days as opposed to 48 hours.  For a Sunday cruise the test has to be no earlier than Friday.  No need to count hours -- anytime one Friday is fine.  

We should be clear that the CDC no longer has COVID “rules” that apply to pre cruise testing.  It is now completely up to the cruise lines as to the standards/rules they choose to impose on US departures.  

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We should be clear that the CDC no longer has COVID “rules” that apply to pre cruise testing.  It is now completely up to the cruise lines as to the standards/rules they choose to impose on US departures.  

Hank

Thank you Hank.  I did not realize it was "voluntary" and cruise ships could opt out of following the CDC recommendations at this point.  

Important then that the OP really does check with the cruise line.    

Here in the UK P&O now require a LFT test the day before boarding for cruises departing Southampton. When first announced they said 24 hours before embarkation which caused endless confusion and stress because a lot of passengers were travelling to the port 24 hours before their embarkation time, which could be delayed anyway leaving them outside the 24 hours window. After a few days confusion they amended the time to the day before embarkation.

The stupid thing was Cunard and Princess, both Carnival lines, were saying the day before anyway.

Keep it simple