Semi-Live Norwegian Joy to Bermuda - Norfolk, VA - May 8, 2022

mking8288

Thanks for the staff pictures.  Confirmed Captain Gunnar who we had on Star to Alaska and one other ship.  Can't recall, maybe Sun?

Enjoy your time and we will be watching for pier runners.

• Haha 1

Atrium lobby & a busy Starbucks, popular morning hangout ... Other random pictures on the Joy this morning. 

Vacation Heros / Comments are available onboard the Joy & should be out, welcomed to fill them out.  Recognizing those crew members that go above & beyond - well, there's a sure fire way to bring smiles & cheers 😁

@Arzeena - daily quiz for you, anything looks familiar in these pictures 😉😉 

PXL_20220512_133303100.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_133248945.jpg

PXL_20220512_133252314.jpg

PXL_20220512_133220582.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_133144817.jpg

PXL_20220512_132937067.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_132005211.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

... (both FAS and Platinum meals with different options & rules

Hi, Henry. Looks like you are having a great time!

So the waitstaff at Cagney's explicitly told you that the meals had different rules? 

I ask (again--sorry) because below is the letter that several people report receiving last month on the JOY. (which seems to be a general letter because it indicates restaurants not even found on the Joy.) Some got it from NextCruise personnel and another reported it was in their room upon arrival.

I did ask you about this letter and you indicated that they didn't provide it to you, so I suppose they already pulled this. But in the event you are using your vouchers at Food Republic tonight, you may want to show this to the NextCruise desk and see if it should also be in effect as the $35 limit pp would not be in effect and rather just a 4 items limit regardless of total cost.  Again, may not be worth your time dependent on what your schedule is today and availability of someone to address the question to.

Have a great afternoon and evening! 

latitudes dining letter.jpg

Edited by cruiseinfoseeker
tpyos typso typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Always check the posted signage ... before going ashore especially DIY. 

Facial recognition used at the gangways.

PXL_20220512_142518970.jpg

PXL_20220512_143417957.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_143409091.jpg

PXL_20220512_143323158.jpg

PXL_20220512_143307337.jpg

Hi, did you (everyone who disembarked) have to apply for the Bermuda Cruise Passenger Travel Authorisation before arriving in Bermuda? Can we fill out the application in Bermuda? How did they check if you completed the application or are approved? Worrying cellphone won't work or have access to wifi to pull up an email to show for example.

1 minute ago, Caribbea said:

Hi, did you (everyone who disembarked) have to apply for the Bermuda Cruise Passenger Travel Authorisation before arriving in Bermuda? Can we fill out the application in Bermuda? How did they check if you completed the application or are approved? Worrying cellphone won't work or have access to wifi to pull up an email to show for example.

I hope Henry won't mind if someone else answers.

You can't wait until you get to Bermuda to fill out your application.

If you don't complete and submit your Bermuda Travel Authorization and receive at least a provisional approval by embarkation time you won't even be allowed to board the ship, regardless of whether you intend to disembark in Bermuda.

You can submit your application with everything but your COVID test results as early as 30 days prior to embarkation. When you've done that you'll get an email from Bermuda about four days prior to embarkation reminding you to upload your COVID test results. The email will have a link that allows you to upload the test results. The same COVID antigen test taken no more than two days prior to embarkation satisfies both NCL's protocols and Bermuda's requirements.

If you're concerned about accessing your approval document at the pier just print it out at home before you leave for the cruise terminal.

Bermuda has eased the process a bit in that if you've completed the application but haven't gotten final approval before embarkation you'll be given a provisional approval and allowed to embark but you'll need to receive the final approval before you arrive in Bermuda in order to disembark.

• Like 2

@njhorsemanI sent and paid for the application.  I got back an "application pending review" where they said I'd receive another e-mail 4 days prior to embarkation.

Is the "application pending review" the provisional approval or is that something else?  There is an application number on what I received.

@njhorseman Spot on & thanks for helping w answering the questions, I appreciate your post ... saved my fat / big fingers keying a detailed response. 

FYI for all while visiting Dockyard shops & help support the small stores, a free shuttle will bring you here & back close to the ship. It's been showering off & on, ducked inside Mall - Bermuda (Tourism - sponsored) free WiFi for 3 hours. Scan & look for the SSiD & register to access 3 hours of usage.

A paid option for a 1 day and 2 days pass available also.

Screenshot_20220512-121836.png

Screenshot_20220512-121158.png

PXL_20220512_152711336.jpg

PXL_20220512_152718526.jpg

PXL_20220512_145929847.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

Dockyard with the beautiful Joy docked, many crews getting time off & riding their bicycle off the ship to get around, the crew's all abroad time is 2 am Friday. 

Closer view of the carrier ship as described by bluesea777 yesterday, looked like a military cargo ship. 

PXL_20220512_143845791.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_145852233.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_145911190.jpg

PXL_20220512_145845819.jpg

PXL_20220512_144452925.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_145816460.jpg

PXL_20220512_144424917.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_144339544.MP.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@njhorsemanI sent and paid for the application.  I got back an "application pending review" where they said I'd receive another e-mail 4 days prior to embarkation.

Is the "application pending review" the provisional approval or is that something else?  There is an application number on what I received.

According to the letter to passengers from NCL that was posted in another thread the "application pending review" and application number should be the provisional approval that allows you to embark.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Boarding last Sunday was quick & didn't hear of anyone not able to board, and we sailed on time - I believed the newly established Bermuda TA helped eased the bottleneck for cruise terminal check-in. 

Right after security check & x-ray inspection of baggage, the 2nd stop was documentation check, and those with required documents got the color sticker affixed to the passports, then proceed to back of terminal to finish check-in, including those in Haven. Those without TA went to a different line & that's where Bermuda personnel should be stationed to determine someone has a provisional pass, submitted the negative test results ... and okay to embark. Week before, our niece uploaded an encrypted test result but they emailed her on Saturday to correct it, and she was onboard by early Sunday afternoon - even did a paid onboard upgrade to a very nice balcony on Deck 15.

I would say, relax & submit the initial TA as early as permitted with vax proof ... Bring extra face masks, KN95 and KF94 if you got them, use it smartly.

Here inside Clocktower Mall, Summer hours in posted photo below, mask rules not really enforced by the shopkeepers, signage posted and some folks are wearing them almost everywhere, off & on the ship, especially indoors. Two thumbs up from us, I had to remind the seniors in the group to do their part. 

PXL_20220512_162438525.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_162357356.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Hi, how is the mask status in Bermuda? Are Bermudians wearing masks? Are stores requiring you to wear masks before you enter?

At least in and around the Dockyard, virtually none of the patrons were wearing masks in the shops.  About 50/50 split with staff.

• Like 1

@cruiseinfoseeker - Thanks, you and we received a slightly different welcome letter about the perks. I left a written note hopefully have a productive cexchange of viewpoints with the GM or his designated. We got $50 OBC for our suite and the Platinum in the other suite got $25 OBC. 

Booked last night ourselves to dine casually at Food Republic tonight and shall see how it go.  With the Cagney's dining & Latitudes vouchers, there were plenty of starters & sides to share and go around. 

BTW, there's been no partial refund or credits issued for skipping Norfolk this Monday ... Shouldn't the port charges, taxes & fees reflect the scheduled stops and when, well - not significant enough to press the matter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

BTW, there's been no partial refund or credits issued for skipping Norfolk this Monday ... Shouldn't the port charges, taxes & fees reflect the scheduled stops and when, well - not significant enough to press the matter. 

On the 4/17 Getaway sailing, we didn't receive anything for Norfolk either, though I suppose blaming it on the Hudson's current saved them that cash....I won't get into all the drama of the day. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaja said:

... I miss cruising.  

Hi, Jan - Susan and I know, and until you can, hope this virtual cruise will bring extra smiles, cheers and brighten your day. I just chatted with a server that once worked on the Sea/ward then ... 

• Like 1

Ship's Ch.12 Livecam view remained offline, internal connectivity issues ??  Because, I can reach it via external IP which at least refresh every 3 to 5 minutes. The bottom half of the virtual balcony (port side view) has been "offline" since this morning, rebooted it a few times to reset it ... no luck. Putting a call to Guest Services (outage reported) to get it fixed, either a mechanical, technical or some kind of IT issues. Not a big deal but it is a part of this unique suite experience, virtual balcony for our 2nd suite (starboard side view) are working fine, oddly enough.

PXL_20220512_200728929.jpg

PXL_20220512_200722520.jpg

Screenshot_20220512-170329.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

Hi, Henry. Looks like you are having a great time!

So the waitstaff at Cagney's explicitly told you that the meals had different rules? 

I ask (again--sorry) because below is the letter that several people report receiving last month on the JOY. (which seems to be a general letter because it indicates restaurants not even found on the Joy.) Some got it from NextCruise personnel and another reported it was in their room upon arrival.

I did ask you about this letter and you indicated that they didn't provide it to you, so I suppose they already pulled this. But in the event you are using your vouchers at Food Republic tonight, you may want to show this to the NextCruise desk and see if it should also be in effect as the $35 limit pp would not be in effect and rather just a 4 items limit regardless of total cost.  Again, may not be worth your time dependent on what your schedule is today and availability of someone to address the question to.

Have a great afternoon and evening! 

latitudes dining letter.jpg

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Boarding last Sunday was quick & didn't hear of anyone not able to board, and we sailed on time - I believed the newly established Bermuda TA helped eased the bottleneck for cruise terminal check-in. 

Right after security check & x-ray inspection of baggage, the 2nd stop was documentation check, and those with required documents got the color sticker affixed to the passports, then proceed to back of terminal to finish check-in, including those in Haven. Those without TA went to a different line & that's where Bermuda personnel should be stationed to determine someone has a provisional pass, submitted the negative test results ... and okay to embark. Week before, our niece uploaded an encrypted test result but they emailed her on Saturday to correct it, and she was onboard by early Sunday afternoon - even did a paid onboard upgrade to a very nice balcony on Deck 15.

I would say, relax & submit the initial TA as early as permitted with vax proof ... Bring extra face masks, KN95 and KF94 if you got them, use it smartly.

Here inside Clocktower Mall, Summer hours in posted photo below, mask rules not really enforced by the shopkeepers, signage posted and some folks are wearing them almost everywhere, off & on the ship, especially indoors. Two thumbs up from us, I had to remind the seniors in the group to do their part. 

PXL_20220512_162438525.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_162357356.jpg

Just my opinion, but wear a mask whenever you feel uncomfortable or are in a crowded space. My husband and I sailed last week and wore a mask whenever in the theatre and in crowded spaces. We usually took the stairs instead of the elevator and did not stay in the Cavern for Beatles show - too crowded.

Low and behold we both tested positive for COVID this week. We have no regrets and would do it again - we really had a fabulous trip to Bermuda.  We knew we took a risk and did everything right but it still happened.  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2