Coastal Kitchen Lunch

Hi All! First time in a suite with Royal and have a few questions.

I just received the email from the Concierge and wanted to find out  if you have to also make reservations for lunch for Coastal Kitchen or just dinner?

Also, are you limited to the menu in CK? Can you order special items not on the menu?

We may prefer to dine there, but have some picky palates (defined as meat and potato folks), so If we want to dine in CK, but get items from the main dining instead of the menu, is that permissible or possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by teeredi2cruise

1 minute ago, brokerrobtampa said:

Yes.  You do not have to eat at coastal kitchen.  In fact, in a Suite you can get main dining room delivered to your room.

So if we do eat in CK, and want to order from the main dining menu, can you do that while staying inside of CK? I think we might like the smaller atmosphere in CK as opposed to Main Dining.

I’ve eaten in Coastal many times, but never tried to order off the dining room menu. On most ships I believe Coastal is pretty far from the actual dining room. On the Anthem it is right beside the buffet. I am sure they would get anything you wanted from the Windjammer if it’s the Anthem. Maybe if you requested what you wanted in advance from the maitre’d he could accommodate you. 

1 minute ago, RFerrington said:

I know that the CK will normally have some of the MDR lobster available on lobster night but generally they won’t be interested in serving random MDR dishes in the CK.

I didn't know that. Will try that on lobster night this week. Would prefer broiled to poached thanks

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I didn't know that. Will try that on lobster night this week. Would prefer broiled to poached thanks

It never hurts to drop by the CK during the day and let them know that you will be asking for lobster for dinner that night…it just gives them a little heads up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’ve had poor success asking for an MDR item in CK, even with advance notice. Staff were accommodating and did their best, but picked up the item  from the main dining room (likely) several hours prior to our dinner. It was dried    out by then.    Now  if we want an MDR item, we dine  in the MDR.  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We’ve had poor success asking for an MDR item in CK, even with advance notice. Staff were accommodating and did their best, but picked up the item  from the main dining room (likely) several hours prior to our dinner. It was dried    out by then.    Now  if we want an MDR item, we dine  in the MDR.  

M

Ugh. That’s disappointing…

On Oasis we ate in Coastal Kitchen nightly and had one person in our party who follows a vegan diet. They have a vegan menu in the MDR and not in Coastal Kitchen, but each night *when we arrived* they sent someone down to the MDR to bring up her dinner. They brought back one of everything on the menu. Someone else in our group wanted the vegan entree one night but they said they couldn't do it that way, they can't go pick up single items in the MDR on demand, so I would think you cannot order your dinner from the MDR menu in CK and expect them to go get it from the MDR.

On lobster night the CK lobster is prepared differently than the MDR lobster. they offered us the choice of which we wanted, or even one of each. 

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

It never hurts to drop by the CK during the day and let them know that you will be asking for lobster for dinner that night…it just gives them a little heads up.

Do you have to pay the room service fee if you are in a suite and order breakfast?  

46 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Do you have to pay the room service fee if you are in a suite and order breakfast?  

No, full suites get free room service.  You can order breakfast off the room service menu or you can order from the MDR menu.

• Thanks 1

on oasis we ordered MDR food 2x last week. it came pretty quickly. 30 minutes usually.  the steward asked us to call her to pick up the stuff after so it didnt smell all night. 

also PPV movies were free so dont forget to enjoy them. 

i love the free drinks in the suite lounge, made heavy use of bringing water and soda back to the cabin. 

also part of the CK menu is the same every day and some of it changes which is better than haven on NCL which is the same every single every single every single day  🙂

you can be very specific in what you want as well. for bfast i learned to tell them how many hash browns and sausage every day. the idea of a single hash brown just made me feel so wrong the 1st day when i found it was their standard order. 

your comment about the better atmosphere in CK is totally right. MDR is too crowded and close together (you literally cannot walk between the tables, you need to walk down the aisle to get to your seat) and the food not as hot. CK heats up their plates so they are HOT to the touch and food is always great that way. 

10 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

on oasis we ordered MDR food 2x last week. it came pretty quickly. 30 minutes usually.  the steward asked us to call her to pick up the stuff after so it didnt smell all night. 

also PPV movies were free so dont forget to enjoy them. 

i love the free drinks in the suite lounge, made heavy use of bringing water and soda back to the cabin. 

also part of the CK menu is the same every day and some of it changes which is better than haven on NCL which is the same every single every single every single day  🙂

you can be very specific in what you want as well. for bfast i learned to tell them how many hash browns and sausage every day. the idea of a single hash brown just made me feel so wrong the 1st day when i found it was their standard order. 

your comment about the better atmosphere in CK is totally right. MDR is too crowded and close together (you literally cannot walk between the tables, you need to walk down the aisle to get to your seat) and the food not as hot. CK heats up their plates so they are HOT to the touch and food is always great that way. 

I am used to getting PPV in the Haven, but didn't know that this was the case for SKY!  Thanks for this info. My SIL will be thrilled!

39 minutes ago, teeredi2cruise said:

I am used to getting PPV in the Haven, but didn't know that this was the case for SKY!  Thanks for this info. My SIL will be thrilled!

i watched 355..or 335. whichever it was..pretty good movie. also theres one about the moon which is great for sci fi fans

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

i watched 355..or 335. whichever it was..pretty good movie. also theres one about the moon which is great for sci fi fans

I didn't know that the movies were free. There's no mention of that or the free room service in the welcome letter. Going to watch 355 tomorrow

11 minutes ago, George C said:

I thought my roast beef sandwich at park cafe in Central Park was better than any lunch I had in CK.

Not sure I’ve ever gone a day on an Oasis class ship without having a kummelweck (roast beef), panini, or both from Central Park.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Ugh. That’s disappointing…

I've asked for poblano soup a couple of times. Always this answer.

Screenshot_20220508-165733_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a02335adc87e67b5cd2add866dea1551.jpg

Guess they didn't have any soup containers onboard back then😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I didn't know that the movies were free. There's no mention of that or the free room service in the welcome letter. Going to watch 355 tomorrow

I didn't know that either

Heck, I didn't even try that on our Allure TA. 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, molly361 said:

when you purchase the price is free