Should Cunard allow large 'Private Group' bookings

Solent Richard

51 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Actually, if anyone can provide better leads, that would be helpful. "Vintage dance groups" brings up a bewildering variety of folk dancers, Fred Astaire impersonators, etc. "Cruise dance groups" isn't much better. Couldn't find any reference to the group on the April 30, 2023 departure. Is it permitted to post the actual names of the groups? Or is that too close to posting travel agencies?

To find the vintage group, look for "vintage transatlantic crossings". Note this isn't specifically a dance group.

• Thanks 1

Note:  I just did an internet search on "ballroom dance cruises" which got a lot of results.  I do not think using "vintage" in the search phrase will identify the groups that this message string is focusing on.  In looking at the results of my search, I see that I had forgotten to include another category of dance groups on cruises:  individual dance studios often plan one cruise a year for their studio; I've been on two of these (both on Princess); the pricing for students included cabins for the studio dance instructors; there may have been one special dance session in an unused lounge during an afternoon but the dancing was usually in the "nightclub" and whatever lounge had a dance floor, however small and hard (e.g. marble).  Both the trips I went on were low-key and the dancing was primarily Latin (rumba, cha-cha, swing, salsa) since that's what the bands played and what the other passengers requested, which often became "club-style" dancing - no arm styling, minimal traveling on the floor, etc.  

Another thought....(this got me thinking😆). I doubt there's any way to identify cruises that the type of dance group I mentioned in my earlier post....the "not for profit" dance club of ballroom enthusiasts...are sailing on.  They don't have websites; the members just email or maybe Facebook.  I spoke to a lot of the members of Baltimore dance club and one of their members takes the lead in planning their cruise(s);  all communications about the dates, fares, etc is done via email.  I think members book their cabins directly w Cunard or travel agent; once they know how many members are going, they figure out hosts (often a dance teacher that a lot of members know) and then the members pay an additional amount that is used to book cabin(s) for the hosts.

21 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

As long as they don't get exclusive use of a venue, or think they have, it doesn't matter.

I think that the main gripe is the exclusive use of the Queens Room.

That is what is specifically advertised on the TA's site. You have to book through the TA and pay a premium to be part of the group in order to participate in the "private vintage events".

All you need to do is search 'vintage dance cruise' in google and it immediately pops up.

Another quote from the site:

"Bookings are exclusively through through **********. Our intimate vintage parties and performances are private. Regular passengers on the ship will be turned away at the door so be sure to book directly with ****** here at ****** to avoid disappointment."

As per my previous post, they are advertising a Glen Miller Orchestra Crossing departing April 30th 2023, a Matt Tolentino and his Singapore Slingers Crossing departing May 26th 2023 and an Alex Mendham and his Orchestra Crossing departing July 14th 2023.

These are private group crossings. Exclusive use of the Queen's Room for 5+ events.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nadge said:

I think that the main gripe is the exclusive use of the Queens Room.

That is what is specifically advertised on the TA's site. You have to book through the TA and pay a premium to be part of the group in order to participate in the "private vintage events".

All you need to do is search 'vintage dance cruise' in google and it immediately pops up.

Another quote from the site:

"Bookings are exclusively through through **********. Our intimate vintage parties and performances are private. Regular passengers on the ship will be turned away at the door so be sure to book directly with ****** here at ****** to avoid disappointment."

As per my previous post, they are advertising a Glen Miller Orchestra Crossing departing April 30th 2023, a Matt Tolentino and his Singapore Slingers Crossing departing May 26th 2023 and an Alex Mendham and his Orchestra Crossing departing July 14th 2023.

These are private group crossings. Exclusive use of the Queen's Room for 5+ events.

If I happened to be booked on a ship which was ''featured'' as such in any advertising blurb, I would copy or send a link to the Cunard CEO and any other top brass personnel I could think of and complain. Bitterly.

If I happened to be a  ''regular'' passenger who used the Queens Room,  regularly, I would ''suggest'' I got a refund.

12 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Better to research the issue of groups on board before booking - and if there is a likely conflict of interest book a different voyage where the problem should not arise - a lot easier than fighting for a possible refund that may not be accepted!

A little hard to do if a chartered booking was accepted by Cunard after ''you'' had booked.

I am almost sure a refund would be hard to come by but by golly, I'd let my feelings be known if an outside company was advertising discrimination against ''regular passengers'' who had paid their fare in the confidence the ship, as advertised by the company, was theirs to utilise.

23 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A little hard to do if a chartered booking was accepted by Cunard after ''you'' had booked.

I am almost sure a refund would be hard to come by but by golly, I'd let my feelings be known if an outside company was advertising discrimination against ''regular passengers'' who had paid their fare in the confidence the ship, as advertised by the company, was theirs to utilise.

And particularly when it is the Queen’s Room, dancing in which is supposed to one of the glories of Cunard voyages for a lot of passengers. Now, if they were occupying one of the many bars for a couple of hours it wouldn’t be nearly as vexing.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Yes that is true - though it would seem that the groups do book well ahead, or at least advertise their intention to have a group cruise and often give the date and ship on their own web pages. So that is certainly the first thing I do when looking at possible booking. However I agree totally that if despite doing the trawl of possible conflicts, a group ends up booking onto a voyage after I have booked then I would do the same as you and make a lot of noise directly with Cunard and at the very least expect to be able to transfer cost free to a different voyage, and if no suitable alternative was available, then yes I would argue very strongly that the facilities I had been led to believe were available (namely the Queen's Room) would not be available as previously advertised and hence that the contract had been broken, and under British Law that should lead to full refund, if not more.

2 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Yes that is true - though it would seem that the groups do book well ahead, or at least advertise their intention to have a group cruise and often give the date and ship on their own web pages. So that is certainly the first thing I do when looking at possible booking. However I agree totally that if despite doing the trawl of possible conflicts, a group ends up booking onto a voyage after I have booked then I would do the same as you and make a lot of noise directly with Cunard and at the very least expect to be able to transfer cost free to a different voyage, and if no suitable alternative was available, then yes I would argue very strongly that the facilities I had been led to believe were available (namely the Queen's Room) would not be available as previously advertised and hence that the contract had been broken, and under British Law that should lead to full refund, if not more.

How would you find out that a group had booked unless there was a mention on Cunard website. Perhaps a Google  search by cruise number may find group's  website but not certain.

Completely agree if Cunard didn't offer facilities advertised this could well break British law, but would be a fight via small claims court to get refund. Would certainly break advertising standards authority code of practice,  but they can only censure Cunard not award compensation. 

You can find out about group bookings for vintage groups or other dance groups by googling for a relevant set of words relating to 'cruise' plus those other key words - we can't mention or link to them directly on this forum, but it is quite quick to find out their web sites and see for yourself, independently of Cunard, which ships and dates they have planned. Some do go on other lines than Cunard but have a fair number on specific Cunard voyages too. I guess forum members can message each other privately if someone has a list of the websites concerned, as that would presumably not break forum rules?

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
Added sentence

6 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

You can find out about group bookings for vintage groups or other dance groups by googling for a relevant set of words relating to 'cruise' plus those other key words - we can't mention or link to them directly on this forum, but it is quite quick to find out their web sites and see for yourself, independently of Cunard, which ships and dates they have planned. Some do go on other lines than Cunard but have a fair number on specific Cunard voyages too. I guess forum members can message each other privately if someone has a list of the websites concerned, as that would presumably not break forum rules?

Apart from the fact we can't message each other privately.

I would love to be able to do that as I have been on  cruises where I know other members I'd like to meet, have also been on the ship and as I don't join roll calls, a private message would be so useful.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 9:09 PM, ballroom-cruisers said:

Google searches are not completely foolproof.  It is possible to miss something. 

However I think onus should be on Cunard to tell you they are withdrawing one of the advertised facilities and offer you a change or refund.

Of course they should never withdraw  advertised facilities.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

An hour ago on a Cunard forum on another well-known social media site an organiser of the vintage dance group has posted information about upcoming crossings!!   I have asked him if it's true that they will be turning away regular passengers. I am still awaiting his response.

• Like 1

It is interesting that the web site for the Vintage Dance Cruise group has a Q&A section, and one of the answers is listed as follows: Our vintage group will be an intimate private party of approximately 150-250 people so that everyone can fit comfortably in the Queen’s Room to enjoy the private events. The ship carries up to 2,620 passengers so most people on the ship will be regular passengers, not part of our group. The regular passengers will all be curious and envious of the fun we’ll be having!  Be prepared to answer questions about “what’s going on?”

and another answer says: Throughout the voyage, there will be five private performances plus a cocktail party along with the option of additional daytime meetups. Our main events will usually take place in the Queen’s Room between 6pm and 8pm.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
added sentence

Thank you, Solent Richard for this raising this topic.

In December, I emailed my Cunard consultant with the relevant information on this thread to ask about any group bookings that could impact my sailing in July. Although I did not receive an email response I have since spoken with my consultant regarding this matter.

I may have misunderstood the consultant's response on the telephone, because it seemed to come as quite a surprise that certain venues were off limits to regular guests. Following the consultants request I sent the dance group 's website information and am awaiting a response.

I am not too concerned for myself but my son and his girlfriend have not sailed on the QM2 before and the closure of certain venues on multiple days is something that I would like to know (from Cunard) prior to sailing and also if there are any other large groups that I am not aware of at this time.

8 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

It is interesting that the web site for the Vintage Dance Cruise group has a Q&A section, and one of the answers is listed as follows: Our vintage group will be an intimate private party of approximately 150-250 people so that everyone can fit comfortably in the Queen’s Room to enjoy the private events. The ship carries up to 2,620 passengers so most people on the ship will be regular passengers, not part of our group. The regular passengers will all be curious and envious of the fun we’ll be having!  Be prepared to answer questions about “what’s going on?”

My goodness, that is even nastier than I thought. It is not enough to be enjoying themselves, but as important that others shouldn’t.

Finally he's replied to reiterate that they will only use the Queens Room in off times. He further claims that  the events don't interfere with normal passengers activities. G32 is used mid-day and the ballroom  between afternoon tea and dinner. Any other activities are late night, usually after 11pm. Doesn't seem to understand that this will still impact on the regular passengers.

15 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

and another answer says: Throughout the voyage, there will be five private performances plus a cocktail party along with the option of additional daytime meetups. Our main events will usually take place in the Queen’s Room between 6pm and 8pm.

14 hours ago, exlondoner said:

My goodness, that is even nastier than I thought. It is not enough to be enjoying themselves, but as important that others shouldn’t.

Actually not necessarily so @exlondoner.  

From my readings on the various Cunard fb groups these folk brought both additional atmosphere and glamour to the voyage and generated considerable favourable interest.