Don't be afraid to try things on your own!

I am not Hank, but I can help :)

Those are the ones I knew about, I hope it helps a little. :)

KayAnnie, that sure helps...thank you for the great information! (We love to walk, late 40's and early 50's, but we can genuinely imagine your walk over that bridge in Barcelona. We'll take the shuttle to town.) Perhaps, I should mention that we are planning on doing most of our shore excursions "DIY", take photos, and post them later. We are open-minded and expect mistakes...just as long as we make it back on ship on time. :)

KayAnnie, that sure helps...thank you for the great information! (We love to walk, late 40's and early 50's, but we can genuinely imagine your walk over that bridge in Barcelona. We'll take the shuttle to town.) Perhaps, I should mention that we are planning on doing most of our shore excursions "DIY", take photos, and post them later. We are open-minded and expect mistakes...just as long as we make it back on ship on time. :)

That is great. I am a total believer in DIY. I have built/am building a website about doing cruise ports on your own and would love your input on the ports I haven't been to when you get back if you are willing. And yeah, that bridge was brutal. We each had a travel backpack weighing like 30 lbs a piece because we were boarding in Barcelona. Our dining partners later brought it up like "oh my gosh, we saw these people walking over that huge bridge today with backpacks from our cab." We got a big laugh out of it. :)

That is great. I am a total believer in DIY. I have built/am building a website about doing cruise ports on your own and would love your input on the ports I haven't been to when you get back if you are willing. And yeah, that bridge was brutal. We each had a travel backpack weighing like 30 lbs a piece because we were boarding in Barcelona. Our dining partners later brought it up like "oh my gosh, we saw these people walking over that huge bridge today with backpacks from our cab." We got a big laugh out of it. :)

Yes, I will definitely get back to you after our cruise! That's funny about the bridge. We did the same thing (20 years ago) and walked from downtown Nassau to Paradise Island across the bridge...hot, humid, and embarrased...but we learned from this mistake. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Our ship docks there on May 1, a holiday. We plan to rent a car and drive somewhere . In 2003, we spent a week driving around some of this area. We have already been to Pisa, Lucca, Siena, Florence and would prefer different towns on this trip. We would appreciate suggestions of things to see and places that would be open on a holiday. A festival or parade would be fine, just not demonstrations. I have emailed a few places such as tourist offices and city halls, but have not had a single response.

Thanks.

I enjoy monitoring this board and reading everyone's advice. A few years ago I used to contribute lots of help here for those who wanted advice on how to do any of the European ports on their own (we have been to most of these places multiple times). I stopped most of my help because I got tired of being flamed by others who insisted that the only way to do anything is on an organized tour (this is true for some folks). However, given the very high price of tours (the low value dollar does not help) I am surprised to see almost everyone resigned to tours. Western Europe is pretty easy to navigate on your own although it helps to do some homework. The advantage of being on your own is you avoid the "cattle like" mentality of some tours, get to do what you want when you want with who you want, and usually you will save money. In fact, on a 12 day Med cruise you can easily save over $1000 (or more) by doing things independent of tours. The down side of independent travel is that you do need to do your pre-trip homework,, but to some of us that is part of the fun. My main problem with most tours is that they try to crowd too much "touring" into a short period of time without giving you a chance to see the real Europe. A lot of the joy of visiting some cities (Rome, Paris, etc) is spending time at an outdoor cafe enjoying local cuisine, wine and people watching (this is how many Europeans enjoy themselves). Personally, when in Rome I would quickly give-up seeing some site in order to have time for lunch or a snack at one of the cafes in the Piazza Navona. But, I guess this is where the "different strokes for different folks" saying reigns surpreme.

Hank

Although saving money is a perk, I think the experience of touring any city on your own is very enriching! Yes, doing your homework is essential, but it's part of the fun. And enoying wine on the piazza's of Rome is absolutely my favorite past-time. I ven got to know a few locals that way. I'm not as experienced as you Hank, but thanks for your encouraging post. I was about to give into the RCC excursion option due to fear of the unknown at a couple ports, but you have reminded me of how much fun it is to do it on your own.

Randi

Lol KC (not laughing at you but with you). Hard to know where to start other than to say that part of the fun and excitement of travel is discovering how to overcome problems. Money changing is no longer an issue if you have an ATM card (ATMs are everywhere and all have an option for English). ATMs usually offer the best rates and we generally get all of our currency after we arrive. You should have tried this before the Euro.. I used to carry several different wallets so I could keep different currency in different wallets. As to the language barrier, I think you would find a bigger language barrier in Miami (if you don't speak Spanish) than in more of Western Europe. As to being robbed, in the states they shoot you and take your money. In Europe they try to pick your pocket or purse (this is mostly gypsies). You certainly need to take precautions to guard your purse/wallet just like you would in our country. As to your itiinerary, I always recommend a first time visitor to Rome take an organized full day tour that includes the Vatican (you see, even I can like tours). From Naples to Capri you can simply walk over to the hydrofoil pier (its next to the cruise port), buy your ticket, and take the hydrofoil. The tours use these same hydrofoils but they charge more than the ticket. Capri is easy to do on your own as long as your have legs and feet that work. You are seeing the right things in Athens ( I would do them on my own) and my only problem with a tour would be I hate lunches with tour groups and you certainly do not need a guide to walk through the Plaka (a smallish shopping district). Santorini is one of our favorite places but I would not recommend the beach for a first time visitor. The beaches here are really not that special (our beaches in the US are better). You need no tour to enjoy the main town of Thira (Fira) which is where you can have lunch at anyone of dozens of charming cafes (they all have English menus). Just about everyone in Santorini speaks some English so there is no language problem. If you have an interest in ruins, Akritori is more interesting than a beach. Its also fun and cheap to simply take the local bus over to the other town of Oia. When you arrive at Santorini (they tender) you can get up to the city on the funicular or by taking the mules (this is fun). You need no tour to do any of this stuff and its pretty easy to do on your own with the help of reading a guide book or the internet. Rhodes is a good port with Rhodes Town (they have an old and a new town) within walking distance of the ship. Lindros is somewhat interesting (it is really ruined ruins) and if you want to avoid taking a tour any taxi will happily take you to Lindros from Rhodes Town. Again, language will be no problem. Rhodes is one of the major tourist (beach) destinations for the British so almost everyone speaks some English. By the way, I think Rhodes has some of the best sandy beaches in Europe. Corfu is a pretty nice island, but you will not have time to really see this gateway to the Ionian Islands. The main town where you dock is best explored on foot (they have lots of shops and restaurants). This island is a major yachting place and you will have no language problems. Venice is a place to explore on your own by simply walking or using the inexpensive water buses called Vaporettos. Venice is a true tourist trap that is totally wonderful. Walking here is a riot and it takes a good map to not get totally confused (this is real fun). If you want to take a Gondola its easy to hire one on your own rather than take a tour where you will have 4 or 6 crammed into your gondola. Pick up a bottle of wine and take it on the Gondola to sip while you ride. As to dinner, we have never had a lot of luck finding decent reasonably priced restaurants in Venice but its still fun. We once found a pretty fair Italian seafood place not far from St Marks Square,,but I have no clue of the name. But, most of the really cute restaurants are too small for large tour groups. Mykonos - great beach island with excellent jewelery shops in town. We usually just take a local bus to one of the beaches..although taxis are also a decent option. The town is easily explored on foot. Ephesus is one of the most amazing places on earth! You certainly want to take a tour for your first visit whether you use the cruise tour, or book an alternative on the internet. Dubrovnik is one of the places we have never visited (we were once scheduled but had to cancel when Dubrovnik was in the middle of a war) but we hear its absolutely beautiful. As to confidence, they have darn good wine and beer in all those ports. Drink enough and you will have confidence (smile). By the way, I do practice what I preach. We will be taking a cruise to Europe this spring and are going to spend 15 days driving in Italy. Now driving a car in Italy is one of life's great adventures. I have never figured out how the Italians can turn a narrow 2 lane road into a 3 lane road but it sure is fun.

Hank

Hank, I'm really enjoying your posts. Thaks for sharing! This may have been asked and I just missed it, but can you advise me on how to make the most of Ephesus? You say its one of the most amazing places on Earth. Why? What was your favorite?

Were also trying to figure out what best to do in Palermo and Souda, Crete. Any tips would be greatly appreciated/ Thanks, Randi

Although saving money is a perk, I think the experience of touring any city on your own is very enriching! Yes, doing your homework is essential, but it's part of the fun. And enoying wine on the piazza's of Rome is absolutely my favorite past-time. I ven got to know a few locals that way. I'm not as experienced as you Hank, but thanks for your encouraging post. I was about to give into the RCC excursion option due to fear of the unknown at a couple ports, but you have reminded me of how much fun it is to do it on your own.

Randi

Have you been to Quito, Ecuador? We are cruising the Galapagos Islands in Dec and will be in Quito for 3 days pre cruise and then 2 days after the cruise. It seems from what I have read dangerous to take a bus out of town. We wanted to go to Octavalo to the large market and see some of the area outside of town. Also, we were thinking of going to the Cloud Forest the mountains a supposed to be beautiful and lots of wildlife and birds. Over 100 different types of hummingbirds, etc.

Hank does not seem to be around at the moment. I do remember he has said that Ephesus is one place where it is advisable to have a guide. There are many posts here on which companies and guides are good.

I arranged for a tour for 12 of us with Hello Ephesus (guide was Bill Bulent who is excellent). We had a great day and it was very inexpensive, especially when compared with Italy.

Hank, I'm really enjoying your posts. Thaks for sharing! This may have been asked and I just missed it, but can you advise me on how to make the most of Ephesus? You say its one of the most amazing places on Earth. Why? What was your favorite?

Were also trying to figure out what best to do in Palermo and Souda, Crete. Any tips would be greatly appreciated/ Thanks, Randi

Randi, We were in Ephesus on June 23rd. Absolutely, see it! Especially the Terrace Houses. My family (4 adults, 3 kids) had a fabulous day. We booked a private tour with Ephesus Shuttle.

From my trip diary:

We docked in Kusadasi at 7 and easily found our guide when we walked off the ship at 7:45. It was good to get an early start to beat the tour buses. On the way to our first stop Yelda Celnik, our guide, told us about the history of the area, pointed out points of interest and gave us necessary background on what we were going to see.[/color]

1st stop: House of the Virgin Mary – an unassuming place where even the local Muslim culture believes was where St John and Mary lived. There’s a healing spring and a wall where prayers are written on little slips of paper. From the earliest times pilgrims came here every Aug 15th which the Council of Ephesus decreed as the date we celebrate Mary’s Assumption into heaven.

2nd stop: Our very detailed tour of Ephesus took 3 hours. Yelda, our guide, was extremely knowledgeable and told us a lot about the history of the place and how the excavations came to be. A highlight was the newly discovered Terrace Houses which are still being excavated. The tour to this remarkable place, like condos for the rich Roman, included watching archeologists at work piecing together giant “jigsaw puzzles” of mosaics or marble or friezes. They were even highlighting the wall paintings using natural pigment. Yelda showed us a sign listing the organizations supporting the project. Only one American entry – VIRGINIA TECH! Our 3 children and 2 sons-in law all graduated from VT. This is quite an opportunity for their archeology students

3rd stop: Lunch in the town of Selcut in a traditional Turkish restaurant. We had more food than we could eat. I just ate the “starters” with pita bread, but finished off with baklava.

4th stop: Next we visited the Selcut museum where all the original artifacts from Ephesus are displayed for safekeeping. Some of the furniture from the Terrace Houses look in good enough shape to still be used. Yelda told us that the plan is that when the site is fully restored that the furniture will be replaced to give a realistic view of life at that time. By now it was getting quite hot and it was good to be inside. They had a model of the Temple of Artemis, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. It was good to see this first because now only 1 column remains. The rest were carried away for recycling.

5th stop: Our final stop was the Basilica of St. John. This once was a huge magnificent church where it is believed St John was buried. Only a shell is left now. Some parts were recycled to build the nearly Mosque or other buildings in the area.

Today’s guide was wonderful, the best so far and the other 2 were excellent. She even gave us all caps with the company’s logo and a small box of “Turkish Delight” candy. We bought many souvenirs including a “Past and Present” book of Ephesus for Carrie. I know the hat is an advertising tool, but it was just what I needed.

Edited by BklynBorn47
typos

Great thread, our first Med Cruise 2 years ago, we did our own thing for Valetta but for Naples and Rome used Rome in Limo. Then we met some Europeans on the ship and they were all getting to the same places we were via the train at a fraction of the cost. So for Florence and Monaco we went DIY via the train and had a great time. In fact we felt like we may as well have burned the 600 or so Euros the hired drivers cost.

In fact for our Rome excursion the driver returned us to the ship 3 hours plus prior to sailing, claiming he was worred about traffic. I am not the kind of person who feels comfortable getting back to the ship 30 minutes before it sails but 3 plus hours was such a waste of precious time.

Wow, lots of great information here. VERY MUCH appreciated! Ephesus is booked! Yeah!! Any tips for Athens, Crete and/or Palermo? Would like to do as much DIY as possible but am not opposed to a small tour if needed.

Thanks in advance

We will be visiting Cephalonia on 11 Aug on the Azura and would appreaciate any info on DIY, we dock at the Port of Argostoli. Many thanks for your info.:confused:

Since Cefalonia is a greek island there will be more info on the Greek boards. Here is a link with a lot of info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1137697&highlight=cefolonia

Hank is back! after a lovely 2 month trip to Europe. Regarding the post about Ephesus it is very true that we have called this one of the more amazing places on earth. We do think that a first-time visitor to Kusadasi should use a private guide to visit the ruins (and other local attractions). In fact, on our last visit DW and I decided to hire our own personal guide (we used EKOL) even though we had previously been to Ephesus on several trips. In another post I mentioned that we have done Ephesus with a cruise ship tour (Princess cruises), on our own, and also with our own private guide. Having tried all the common methods we think a private tour is the way to go (especially for a first visit). We personally can recommend EKOL and there are also several other decent tour companies that are often mentioned on the Greece board. You do need to book a private tour in advance of your trip (via the internet) and you want to make sure that your tour specifically includes a visit to the "Terrace Houses" (often a slight extra charge) which are often bypassed by the cruise line tours (a good reason to avoid cruise line tours). The Terrace Houses are the newest area to be opened within the the ruins of Ephesus and this section is fantastic (it is covered by a large building and requires an additional entrance fee). We recently booked a long cruise for next Spring that will actually overnight in Kusadasi and the thought of again seeing those ruins makes me smile.

Hank

P.S. Keep in mind that I am normally very anti-tour (we prefer to do our own thing) but Ephesus is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Edited by Hlitner

I have missed your posts especially on the French boards. I have a question about Ephesus tour companies. I have contacted four companies. One replied which was one Rick Steves recommended and they want the money upfront. We have never paid ahead of time. I also noticed that EKOL travel also wants the money upfront. The only one that seems to want paid on site is Ephesus Shuttle. Did you pay ahead of time? If so, did you use credit card or what? I think the one who replied also accepts payment directly into their bank account in Seattle. All of this makes me nervous. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you, Hank.

Pearl

I have missed your posts especially on the French boards. I have a question about Ephesus tour companies. I have contacted four companies. One replied which was one Rick Steves recommended and they want the money upfront. We have never paid ahead of time. I also noticed that EKOL travel also wants the money upfront. The only one that seems to want paid on site is Ephesus Shuttle. Did you pay ahead of time? If so, did you use credit card or what? I think the one who replied also accepts payment directly into their bank account in Seattle. All of this makes me nervous. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you, Hank.

Pearl

When we booked with EKOL we gave them a credit card deposit. A few weeks after we booked, EKOL had a promotional sale where they offered 25% off the price of tours for those that would pay in advance. They contacted us via e-mail to inform us of the new deal and was if we were interested. We took advantage and our tour was actually less money then any comparable cruise line tour and we had our own guide (for just the two of us), a nice air conditioned van, and our own driver. If you are uncomfortable paying in advance or giving a deposit then you will have to use one of the companies that does not have this requirement. Keep in mind that EKOL has been in business for many years, operates in several cities, and seems to get high marks from most here on CC that have used the company. Kusadasi has become a very busy port (approximately 1000 cruise ship calls per year) and the tour business is a big business in this port. Personally, we do understand why some companies do not want to gamble on cruise ship passengers who might show, might not show, etc. The tour company must provide a guide (many are self employed and expect to be paid for the day), vehicle, driver, etc.

Hank

Pearl

I don't know if this may help, but had a tour where we had to pay in advance. i contacted my credit card company and they said as long as payment was within 120 days of travel we were covered. (In other words if the guide didn't show up, we could get our money back from our credit card). That gave me the level of comfort I needed and, of course, the guide was there waiting for us:)

Hello Hank,

DH and I will be in Istanbul overnight in mid-September and we are thinking about an evening driving tour. It is our second time in Istanbul. Have you gone out in the evening/after dark? Hoping to see the buildings lit up, maybe starting with the aqueducts before sunset. Do you have any suggestions. We get in on a Sunday afternoon and so many things will be closed.

Thank you, and thanks for such an interesting thread. We certainly enjoy doing what we can on our own!

Hello Hank,

DH and I will be in Istanbul overnight in mid-September and we are thinking about an evening driving tour. It is our second time in Istanbul. Have you gone out in the evening/after dark? Hoping to see the buildings lit up, maybe starting with the aqueducts before sunset. Do you have any suggestions. We get in on a Sunday afternoon and so many things will be closed.

Thank you, and thanks for such an interesting thread. We certainly enjoy doing what we can on our own!

DW and I have been scratching our heads on this topic. We have spent several nights in Istanbul (local hotels) but honestly never considered doing anything special at night other then going out for a nice dinner (and perhaps a dinner show). Sunday certainly does limit your shopping ability, but many popular tourist attractions (such as Topkapi) are open.

Hank

Hank is back! after a lovely 2 month trip to Europe. Regarding the post about Ephesus it is very true that we have called this one of the more amazing places on earth. We do think that a first-time visitor to Kusadasi should use a private guide to visit the ruins (and other local attractions). Hank

P.S. Keep in mind that I am normally very anti-tour (we prefer to do our own thing) but Ephesus is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Super glad that Hank is back!!! There are trade-offs and pro-con factors to consider about private tour/guide versus ship tour versus on your own. Lots of individual factors involved, including your budget flexibility, cost, options in each different port. Ephesus is wonderful and below are a few of my pictures to prove it. Great history there. It's the real thing!!!

At a place like Ephesus, it is very vital to understand the why and how for what you are seeing, the historic background, why things changed over the years, how it was developed, etc. Personally, I like to ask questions, probe more, learn added details, etc. Also, with a private guide and/or smaller group, it is easier to hear what is being said, chat as you move from location to location, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 21,773 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,691 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Starting the tour at Ephesus:

EphTourStart.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus, architectural details on its famed library building:

LibraryDetails.jpg

A closer view of a carved stone piece at Ephesus:

EphStoneAngl.jpg

Nearby to Ephesus is a museum with many great, historic items and pieces from this site and the Roman period.:

EphesusMusArtPeople.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Terry. Our 2 month trip took us to 10 countries and served to reinforce some of our knowledge and teach us a few new things. Two quick things that come to mind is that Murmansk is a dreadful port and prices in Norway for food keep increasing. We love to look at menus when we travel and its hard to convince some folks that a 16 inch pizza washed down with a carafe of cheap Spainish wine can cost about $120! On the other hand, a small hamburger washed down with a small beer is only about $35! We do enjoy visiting Norway but usually manage to eat most of our meals onboard a ship :)

Hank

Istanbul at night:

When we overnighted in Istanbul I organized for a large group (busload) to go to the dinner and show at Sultanas. This included a tour of the old city afterwards to see the lights.

The dinner was barely OK (cold fries and rice), the show was hokey, but fun, and the tour of the old city was great, albeit spoiled by one passenger who just wanted to go back to the ship.

If I were going again I would not hesitate to go out and about on our own. I would love to take the tram and see Hagia Sophia and the blue mosque and surroundings all lit up.

Thanks for the kind words Terry. Our 2 month trip took us to 10 countries and served to reinforce some of our knowledge and teach us a few new things. Two quick things that come to mind is that Murmansk is a dreadful port and prices in Norway for food keep increasing. We love to look at menus when we travel and its hard to convince some folks that a 16 inch pizza washed down with a carafe of cheap Spainish wine can cost about $120! On the other hand, a small hamburger washed down with a small beer is only about $35! We do enjoy visiting Norway but usually manage to eat most of our meals onboard a ship :) Hank

Appreciate, Hank, the update and added info. Am I surprised? NO!!! As you might re-call, I had the info from our ship Captain last July that Murmansk was not an ideal port in its development and tourist options.

Norway costs are not a surprise, either, as they were high last summer on July 18 when the dollar was at $1.29 for a euro. Last month the euro was around $1.44. Norway's Krone is a little different than the euro, but as the dollar has weakened in comparison to last summer (but better than late July 2008 when at nearly $1.60). For us, eating most on the ship and doing some box lunches during our car rental/land adventure days saved time and money.

Are you going to do/post more details on your Norway/Russia trip on the Northern Europe boards? Look forward to hearing and reading more details.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, I am usually too lazy to post trip reports and prefer to rely on dealing with direct questions (this sounds a lot like some guy from Ohio). Regarding Murmansk, I suspect this was one of those cruise line "experiements" and the port will disappear in future years. Your Captain friend (from last year) was totally correct about the place. The Russians handled things well in the port but there is just not a lot to interest tourists and the city is a bleak reminder of post-war Soviet concrete architecture.

Hank