Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

You know I love my photos of our feathered friends.  Your eagle photo is stunning.  
We had booked to go to Alaska in August 2020.  Had we been able to go, we wouldn’t have gotten your stunning snow capped mountain photos.  All your photos are terrific. 
Hope the seas have calmed for you now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AeroBaldness said:

For those returning to or heading out from SEA that have time and enjoy sushi, my wife and I ate at Umi Sake based on recs from the Marriott Loyalty Staff and a few locals.  I don't think I've ever had better and the service was amazing.

IMG-1287.jpg

Thanks for this.  We'll be in Seattle in September and love Sushi.  I've added Umi Sake to my list.

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We have been cruising for 23 years.   A few minutes ago I took my first Bonine.  We have been in larger rocks but this has been going on for a long time.

I think I'll keep this info to myself.  Micheline is not a fan of heavy seas.  I had to convince her that Alaska and TP cruises wouldn't be bad.  Fingers crossed,

8 hours ago, taznremmy said:

😱YIKES!! 😱 

Question....are they still having masks available, or should I pack my own?  Secondly, your fabulous photos have convinced me to get a new phone.  Why carry my heavy Canon around with this kind of photo quality.  Thanks!

This is my biggest question.  Do I bring my Canon 7D and lenses on our upcoming Alaska/Hawaii trip?  On the positive, it still takes better pictures than my phone and everything fits neatly into a single backpack.  I'm thinking that I'll want to make a large print of at least one picture (probably more based on what John is posting here) that I take in either Hawaii or Alaska.  On the negative, we're already going to be taking way too much luggage just for the different Alaska/Hawaii climates.  Would be nice to have one less bag to deal with.  I rarely use my DSLR anymore but if I'm ever going to use it again for travel, this seems like the right time.  First world problems...

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Be from Ohio we have flown into Cinci from Arkansas but they were usually more expensive than surrounding airports.   I have heard they are more in line now.  The Wow would of been nice to take advantage of.

Been flying out of Cincinnati (CVG) for the last 30+ years.  Delta kind of screwed the pooch with fares out of CVG when they controlled 95% of the flights in and out when they used CVG as a hub.

Some “Hinky” things going on behind the scenes between Delta and the CVG governing board that allowed that to happen.  Now, CVG is a ghost town in comparison.

That said, there are strong rumors that CVG may be a hub for the Jet Blue and Spirit merger if it goes through.  Lots of construction going on right now to support very few flights.  So, maybe something to that.

Loving your review.  I get to relive Alaska like it’s “deja vu all over again”!  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

We had our Juneau Whale watching excursion canceled.  They said it was canceled because they can not find enough workers.  It's not totally bad.  We will be refunded and we booked a shorter whale watch and able to use our OBC.

First, thanks for the updates!  Helping me get very excited for our July cruise...

Which company canceled on you? We booked with Juneau Whale Watch (whale watching & Mendenhall Glacier).  Hoping that tour happens, as it's the one I'm most excited about...

8 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

You know I love my photos of our feathered friends.  Your eagle photo is stunning.  
We had booked to go to Alaska in August 2020.  Had we been able to go, we wouldn’t have gotten your stunning snow capped mountain photos.  All your photos are terrific. 
Hope the seas have calmed for you now.

I read the feathered friend wrong at first.  I was looking at last evening pics and thought of this. 😆 

image.thumb.png.2cd11d2309340ab5d42074c8e92eadbc.png

The sea was rough all night but we ha e made it to Port and docked.  It's nice out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for this.  We'll be in Seattle in September and love Sushi.  I've added Umi Sake to my list.

I think I'll keep this info to myself.  Micheline is not a fan of heavy seas.  I had to convince her that Alaska and TP cruises wouldn't be bad.  Fingers crossed,

This is my biggest question.  Do I bring my Canon 7D and lenses on our upcoming Alaska/Hawaii trip?  On the positive, it still takes better pictures than my phone and everything fits neatly into a single backpack.  I'm thinking that I'll want to make a large print of at least one picture (probably more based on what John is posting here) that I take in either Hawaii or Alaska.  On the negative, we're already going to be taking way too much luggage just for the different Alaska/Hawaii climates.  Would be nice to have one less bag to deal with.  I rarely use my DSLR anymore but if I'm ever going to use it again for travel, this seems like the right time.  First world problems...

With phone photos you could still make a nice memory book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Been flying out of Cincinnati (CVG) for the last 30+ years.  Delta kind of screwed the pooch with fares out of CVG when they controlled 95% of the flights in and out when they used CVG as a hub.

Some “Hinky” things going on behind the scenes between Delta and the CVG governing board that allowed that to happen.  Now, CVG is a ghost town in comparison.

That said, there are strong rumors that CVG may be a hub for the Jet Blue and Spirit merger if it goes through.  Lots of construction going on right now to support very few flights.  So, maybe something to that.

Loving your review.  I get to relive Alaska like it’s “deja vu all over again”!  Thanks!

I am glad you stopped by.  It helps to have input from others that just did the cruise. 

1 hour ago, AeroBaldness said:

The Sound is like glass today Kid. Hope you have found similar waters!!

D398CF09-FF83-436F-8618-C0D4460BA346.jpeg

It is nice out and even though we are docked up, it looks calmer.  At least I was rocked to sleep.  First night I didn't wake up.

image.thumb.png.8d1a1ebe1d68b3a3120d5f28a9dca1a9.png

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, fac429 said:

First, thanks for the updates!  Helping me get very excited for our July cruise...

Which company canceled on you? We booked with Juneau Whale Watch (whale watching & Mendenhall Glacier).  Hoping that tour happens, as it's the one I'm most excited about...

We booked with RC.  It was the same trip but had a Salmon bake at the end.  When we rebooked Mendenhall Glacier was left off.

13 hours ago, cdunn2016 said:

Catching up on this thread, as we were on Ovation right before you! We did the May 5-May 13 sailing. We had the same experience as this each night in the MDR except days when we were leaving port fairly late like in Juneau and Skagway. Usually about an hour to get our first course, usually about 2 to 2.25 hours in the MDR…kind of unfortunate considering we had entertainment we wanted to get to, and it just felt like dinner took up half of our day between getting ready and then actually being there. (Still scrolling through your thread and catching up, hoping things have improved as the week has gone on)

Which is why a few years ago I ditched MDR and opted for WJ or specialty dining.

I do not always get the descriptions they have on menus and then disappointed with amounts of veggies too.

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Be back later.  Getting ready to head to town.  BTW, no cellular at the pier so far but ship internet is great on the balcony.   So hit and miss.

It sure looks like you're making many wonderful memories on this cruise, John!  Great pics!  As usual!😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Those quilts are amazing.

Even nicer in person.  Sharon's mom came to visit a few weeks back.  They made 20 quits.  They had someone else do the batting.  Her mom tries to make one for each of the grandchildren and great grandchildren. 

• Like 6

After the quilts we went next door to Klondike Doughboy.  While preparing for this cruise I heard it was a must try.

image.thumb.png.c31a9d22bd49821c2e25aa2a88b28c54.png

A Doughboy is like a flat funnel cake. You can see them being made. 

image.thumb.png.ab92cb0a23c62cebed7aafa5f0d0eaee.png

We saw how big they were so we decided to spit it between the 4 of us.

image.thumb.png.a0892172ebd9f7c0fd95ed6c4d50599a.png

That was a big mistake to split it.   These things are sooooo good.   Do not skip getting one....or two.  Do NOT share.

image.thumb.png.efc217a3b1fc5d7fc906d91835e561fe.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

We walked around town and dropped in shops.  At one store it was suggested we eat at Skagway Brewing Co.

image.thumb.png.9788192d1189cf65d0dfabef8bdafa85.png

image.thumb.png.bd18db00acff9f7276f07cd4a6f55280.png

So we made are way around the train

image.thumb.png.721462af147f2a07e74e33a88b60b22f.png

and made are way to SB Co.

image.thumb.png.b77f05cbe62e91c7f92e777805dccc1f.png

image.thumb.png.39a492a6bc6116d724b4d6f1c1538ba8.png

We ordered the recommended fish and chips just for the Halibut.

image.thumb.png.52d64b72d75037cd78e5d07b54709e94.png

image.thumb.png.afcc4e662652c6fee628cf4ea974e276.png

image.thumb.png.aabde096b87b2462cb3aa3a80ac53118.png

It was the best fish and chips we have ever eaten and all agreed we will order it again when we return to Skagway.  This is a must.  If you don't like fish, the burgers are great too!  Don't skip this place.  I will be watching for you future Alaska cruisers coming back to CC and thanking me.  I bet it will happen. Soooooo good.

• Like 8

Before I continue I want to mention we plan to stay in Seattle until Sunday.   I have been considering to continue the review to give some insight on what to do at the Seattle port. What do you think?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1