Those on the first Alaskan sailings can you clarify a question for me as I'm getting conflicting info

njkate

2 minutes ago, njkate said:

The ArriveCan app, is it 72 hours before embarking or 72 hours before we get to Victoria on the 6th day of sailing.

Thank you

Haven't been on a recent  cruise there but the instructions are quite clear and unambiguous. You need to complete ArriveCan within 72 hours of embarkation. I've highlighted it in red below:

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Canada Cruise Protocols

Canada Travel Requirements

Country Requirements

PLEASE NOTE: All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day.

Vaccination Requirements:

• All guests age twelve and older must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to arrival.

Testing Requirements:

• Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.
  • All unvaccinated guests ages 5-11 will also be required to take an additional test at embarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.
  • Mid Cruise Testing: required for unvaccinated guests ages 5-11. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.
  • Disembarkation Testing (for cruises ending in a Canadian port only): unvaccinated guests ages 5-11 will be tested at disembarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Face Coverings:

Required ashore in business establishments based on local requirements.

On the Encore Alaska sailing as I type this, and everyone needed to show their ArriveCan receipt at embarkation.  People who didn't have it completed had to step out of line and complete it in the app or on the website before they could check in.

5 hours ago, njkate said:

The ArriveCan app, is it 72 hours before embarking or 72 hours before we get to Victoria on the 6th day of sailing.

Thank you

Finalize your ArriveCAN form anytime within 72 hours of embarkation. Print the receipt as backup but they’ll accept the confirmation on the app as well. 

If you forget to do it, you will be directed to complete the form in the terminal after security/before proceeding to check-in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NW Pacific said:

Does NCL have computer terminals to use  (at the pier) if you do not arrive with ArriveCan completion?

Nope, you'd be doing it the old-fashioned way: paper form and a pen.

10 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Does NCL have computer terminals to use  (at the pier) if you do not arrive with ArriveCan completion?

They didn’t have any at the Manhattan cruise terminal two weeks ago when we boarded the Getaway.  Hundreds of pax who were not aware of the requirements struggled to get a WiFi signal so they could complete the form on their phone.

We sailed on the Bliss 4/30 (Saturday). I did our ArriveCan on Thursday (4/28) right after I did our COVID tests and before we headed to the airport. We were asked to show the COVID test results and the ArriveCan thing when we were going through one of the 'checks' at the port. It really was easy-peasy. No one actually asked for it when we were in Victoria. Oh...the cabin steward put a form in the room that we had to fill out and sign (almost like the US Customs Declaration form). I thought it odd that we had to fill it out a few days before arrival, but signed it as of the date of our arrival in Canada. The cabin steward collected it before our arrival. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, coastcat said:

Nope, you'd be doing it the old-fashioned way: paper form and a pen.

Nope, you'd be doing it on your phone or someone else's since there's no paper version of ArriveCAN 

3 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Nope, you'd be doing it on your phone or someone else's since there's no paper version of ArriveCAN 

Really? It looked like people were filling out regular forms. Those who hadn't completed ArriveCAN beforehand were directed to one side so they could take care of it.

[one quick Google later] Ah, so there is a paper version of the form but its use is limited to very specific situations. Ignoring multiple emails from your cruise line isn't listed as one of them, oddly enough. So I guess those people were grumbling while typing away on their smartphones. I wonder what happened to those who didn't complete the form ahead of time (or bring proof) and don't have smartphones?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coastcat said:

Really? It looked like people were filling out regular forms. Those who hadn't completed ArriveCAN beforehand were directed to one side so they could take care of it.

[one quick Google later] Ah, so there is a paper version of the form but its use is limited to very specific situations. Ignoring multiple emails from your cruise line isn't listed as one of them, oddly enough. So I guess those people were grumbling while typing away on their smartphones. I wonder what happened to those who didn't complete the form ahead of time (or bring proof) and don't have smartphones?

Hopefully NCL is better than Royal. We’re cruising Alaska on Royal this year and have not heard a peep from  Royal. It is in the fine print on their website, but we only became aware because of our roll call. 

Do the ArriveCan before embarkation…it is a pain to fill out…but a bigger pain to fill out at the pier (as the people in line behind us could attest)

Your still fill out the paper health form.

have everything else ready when you enter the terminal.

They needed our arrive can at the Vancouver airport when we flew home, but as that was our only Canada stop, I am not sure what others experienced.  We have to fill out the standard customs declarations form.

We're soon sailing an NCL cruise with a stop in Victoria.  I've registered with ArriveCan and just did a mock submission to understand what I will need to do within 72 hours of the cruise.  Two questions for those who have completed the process:

a) There are three port options for Victoria.  Am I correct in assuming that the correct selection is "Ogden Point - Pier A & B (Victoria)?"

b) The form asks for both embarkation date and time, indicating that the time must be within 72 hours.  My ship itinerary indicates a departure time of 5 PM and my eDocs indicate an arrival time of 9 AM.   If history is any indication, we will probably board the ship around noon.  When is the earliest that I can register our trip with ArriveCan and receive our receipts?  I'm guessing that the "safe" approach would be to wait until after 5:00 PM Seattle time before doing this.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:36 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

We're soon sailing an NCL cruise with a stop in Victoria.  I've registered with ArriveCan and just did a mock submission to understand what I will need to do within 72 hours of the cruise.  Two questions for those who have completed the process:

a) There are three port options for Victoria.  Am I correct in assuming that the correct selection is "Ogden Point - Pier A & B (Victoria)?"

b) The form asks for both embarkation date and time, indicating that the time must be within 72 hours.  My ship itinerary indicates a departure time of 5 PM and my eDocs indicate an arrival time of 9 AM.   If history is any indication, we will probably board the ship around noon.  When is the earliest that I can register our trip with ArriveCan and receive our receipts?  I'm guessing that the "safe" approach would be to wait until after 5:00 PM Seattle time before doing this.

Anybody?  I've searched elsewhere, and the "embarkation" time seems to be causing confusion, as there is no established "embarkation time."  It will be sometime before the ship actually sails, but there are many variables.  I think I'll just input 12 noon.

48 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Anybody?  I've searched elsewhere, and the "embarkation" time seems to be causing confusion, as there is no established "embarkation time."  It will be sometime before the ship actually sails, but there are many variables.  I think I'll just input 12 noon.

Yes, to Ogden Point . Victoria

We started our ArriveCAN application early and entered Vaccination and passport information . Saved to app.
72 hours before we got on ship in Seattle, we finished our application and made copy of QR code for embarkation .  At port, we showed cruise docs, negative Covid test results, ArriveCAN  QR code and actual vaccine cards.  Went pretty quickly. We had embarkation time of 9:30  - 10:00. We put 10 am for embarkation time on ArriveCAN application.

Line already there when we arrived at 9:35.

Edited by phissy

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Yes, to Ogden Point . Victoria

We started our ArriveCAN application early and entered Vaccination and passport information . Saved to app.
72 hours before we got on ship in Seattle, we finished our application and made copy of QR code for embarkation .  At port, we showed cruise docs, negative Covid test results, ArriveCAN  QR code and actual vaccine cards.  Went pretty quickly. We had embarkation time of 9:30  - 10:00. We put 10 am for embarkation time on ArriveCAN application.

Line already there when we arrived at 9:35.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't think Canada really cares about the actual time you embark.  I put noon, which was my selected time. They are interested in your travel dates.

Going to Victoria tomorrow.  The Travel advisory in the Freestyle Daily says "Please have your ArriveCan QR code receipt and proof of vaccination ready when going ashore for possible check."

I highly recommend you have a printed copy if at all possible.

6 hours ago, julig22 said:

I don't think Canada really cares about the actual time you embark.  I put noon, which was my selected time. They are interested in your travel dates.

Going to Victoria tomorrow.  The Travel advisory in the Freestyle Daily says "Please have your ArriveCan QR code receipt and proof of vaccination ready when going ashore for possible check."

I highly recommend you have a printed copy if at all possible.

Our experience earlier this month was that the Victoria port officials didn’t check anything.  Not even for my mom, who was disembarking there.  And they only looked at our ship cards when DH and I reboarded.  This is likely because the Canadian govt already has all of the info in ArriveCan and via the ship manifest.  It did take AGES for the port to clear the ship for passengers to get off, but once they did (around 8pm?) the process of getting everyone off moved really fast.  When we got off at about 8:30 there were no lines in the terminal at all, and the last of the lines outside were just finishing boarding the town shuttle and excursion buses.

Edited by bookbabe

I would add that shuttle buses at the port of Victoria cost money.

Only port that requires passengers pay for shuttle ( so far)

It is $10 pp for the shuttle bus to town, includes return.

We did not go into town as we have been many times before. 
As mentioned,  it took so long to clear ship that it was dark when passengers were able to disembark. 
I ran into passengers on elevator very upset that they were not informed buses cost money. They were not able to go to town as they did not bring money.

Not sure if it is still cash only but, from their reaction it sounds like it is.

Not mentioned in our daily for Victoria. I think NCL should publish that the buses are not complementary and the fare is $10pp .

1 hour ago, phissy said:

I would add that shuttle buses at the port of Victoria cost money.

Only port that requires passengers pay for shuttle ( so far)

It is $10 pp for the shuttle bus to town, includes return.

We did not go into town as we have been many times before. 
As mentioned,  it took so long to clear ship that it was dark when passengers were able to disembark. 
I ran into passengers on elevator very upset that they were not informed buses cost money. They were not able to go to town as they did not bring money.

Not sure if it is still cash only but, from their reaction it sounds like it is.

Not mentioned in our daily for Victoria. I think NCL should publish that the buses are not complementary and the fare is $10pp .

Are you sure that it’s the shuttle that costs and not the horse drawn carriage to town?  I didn’t see anyone collecting money at the bus line, but I did at the carriage line.

3 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Are you sure that it’s the shuttle that costs and not the horse drawn carriage to town?  I didn’t see anyone collecting money at the bus line, but I did at the carriage line.

Current prices for shuttle buses higher than I thought.

Pacific Northwest Transportation Services is pleased to provide service between the Ogden Point Terminal and downtown Victoria. This shuttle runs for every ship call, and runs a minimum of every 15 minutes.

The shuttle tickets are sold at the following 2022 rates:

Pass for the day: $13.00 USD (unlimited use for the day)

Oneway pass: $8.00 USD (valid for a one-way pass, either direction)

Crew: $5.00 USD (crew card required

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1