Regent "bus" (large group) tours

lidge

I am looking for feedback about using Regent tours that are larger groups.  Specifically, I am concerned using this type of tour to see Petra and Wadi Rum (Jordan).  Any feedback about these type of tours is greatly appreciated.

Haven't been to those specific sites, but all our large bus tours in Israel and Egypt a few years back were excellent.  So excellent that we are returning to Israel with Regent next month. 

For both Petra and Wadi Rum the "bus" part of the excursion is simply to convey you to the sites of interest. The buses used are modern & comfortable:

IMG_2805.thumb.JPG.a3b87525627174c67ecaf5cd53382238.JPG

Petra is explored on foot at your own pace (a long walk but worth it).

For one of the Wadi Rum excursions you transfer to 4x4 off road vehicles (old Toyota pick-ups) for an exhilarating ride across the desert to a Bedouin camp 

IMG_2798.thumb.JPG.5c0208d9c63f021e8eaa2e727809b5bb.JPG

Above photos taken during a Regent cruise in 2019

• Like 1

Currently on Explorer.  Large group bus excursions are very large.  We have changed all possible excursions to small bus excursions (at a cost).  It is worth the money for sure.  Regent today is not Regent pre-Covid.  Costs for them have skyrocketed so they have no choice other than to pass it on to passengers. There are also some food items that they cannot be sourced (not for lack of trying).  Pacific Rim (only on Explorer and Splendor) is having difficulty sourcing sake, for instance.  Japan was unable to produce sake for two years.   We need to accept these realities.  

Regent is still an amazing cruise line (that have many former guests and some crew from Crystal that are loving the Regent Experience.

2 minutes ago, LoveRegent2 said:

Regent is still an amazing cruise line (that have many former guests and some crew from Crystal that are loving the Regent Experience.

Who are the crew from Crystal

Nancy 

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Who are the crew from Crystal

Nancy 

Have only met Restaurant Manager, Jacques and our Cruise Director, Dru. We discussed  other crew members from Crystal but I have not met them and do not know their names.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoveRegent2 said:

Currently on Explorer.  Large group bus excursions are very large.  We have changed all possible excursions to small bus excursions (at a cost).  It is worth the money for sure.  Regent today is not Regent pre-Covid.  Costs for them have skyrocketed so they have no choice other than to pass it on to passengers. There are also some food items that they cannot be sourced (not for lack of trying).  Pacific Rim (only on Explorer and Splendor) is having difficulty sourcing sake, for instance.  Japan was unable to produce sake for two years.   We need to accept these realities.  

Agree.  We were on Splendor mid March and there was no Sake in Pacific Rim. Really put a damper on our “Asian” experience to the point we cancelled second night. 

Edited by Gpilon

8 minutes ago, LoveRegent2 said:

Have only met Restaurant Manager, Jacques and our Cruise Director, Dru. We discussed  other crew members from Crystal but I have not met them and do not know their names.

Thanks..I’ve sailed with both and glad they are on the explorer..great guys 

nancy

• Like 1

We were on a Regent cruise in September 2021. Signed up for the small group tours only to have them canceled. We had used our shipboard credit towards these excursions and ended up with unwanted

ship board credits. We have a cruise in July and also have booked some small group tours. I will be very annoyed if they cancel and now it's a large group. Then once again we have unwanted shipboard credit.

Returning to the OP’s original question, I don’t think that “small group” tours are offered for Petra or Wadi Rum in Jordan.

If the OP is concerned about using the Regent excursions then the alternative is to arrange a private driver & guide; either through Regent or independently.

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Returning to the OP’s original question, I don’t think that “small group” tours are offered for Petra or Wadi Rum in Jordan.

If the OP is concerned about using the Regent excursions then the alternative is to arrange a private driver & guide; either through Regent or independently.

Not worried at all!  Simply sharing information.

If you have OBC to use and can’t use for “for fee” tours, buy some really nice wine, a tasting dinner if they have one, or treat yourself to a private car and driver though Regent or a spa or beauty saloon visit. It won’t go to waste unless you let it.

23 hours ago, mrstanley said:

We were on a Regent cruise in September 2021. Signed up for the small group tours only to have them canceled. We had used our shipboard credit towards these excursions and ended up with unwanted

ship board credits. We have a cruise in July and also have booked some small group tours. I will be very annoyed if they cancel and now it's a large group. Then once again we have unwanted shipboard credit.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:13 PM, Gpilon said:

Agree.  We were on Splendor mid March and there was no Sake in Pacific Rim. Really put a damper on our “Asian” experience to the point we cancelled second night. 

We were on the cruise before yours, and we did have sake in PR, but..only one choice.

I seem to remember that pre-covid, we were able to have a sake tasting there.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 1:13 PM, Gpilon said:

We were on Splendor mid March and there was no Sake in Pacific Rim. Really put a damper on our “Asian” experience to the point we cancelled second night. 

And we were on Splendor on April 5 for TA and there was sake. I had been looking for the sake tasting too, boblerm, but no such luck.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

And we were on Splendor on April 5 for TA and there was sake. I had been looking for the sake tasting too, boblerm, but no such luck.

Maybe next time! 🙂

• Like 1

For those who responded to the original inquiry about large group tours, many thanks.  I was surprised that there were very few small group tours even offered.  Has anyone switched (while onboard) and had the Regent "desk" arrange small groups?  Regent's private car tours are outrageously expensive but in particular in Jordan, if we don't travel with Regent, we have to arrange for our own VISAs (anyone have experience with this?). We are considering using Tours by Locals as they seem to have a very good reputation and then we'd have options to stay more in Petra or use time to go to Wadi Rum.

(For those that ended up commenting about Sake shortages, thanks for that info too as I also really enjoy Sake with an Asian meal!).   

5 hours ago, lidge said:

For those who responded to the original inquiry about large group tours, many thanks.  I was surprised that there were very few small group tours even offered.  Has anyone switched (while onboard) and had the Regent "desk" arrange small groups?  Regent's private car tours are outrageously expensive but in particular in Jordan, if we don't travel with Regent, we have to arrange for our own VISAs (anyone have experience with this?). We are considering using Tours by Locals as they seem to have a very good reputation and then we'd have options to stay more in Petra or use time to go to Wadi Rum.

(For those that ended up commenting about Sake shortages, thanks for that info too as I also really enjoy Sake with an Asian meal!).   

We flew to Jordan to join a cruise and just paid for a visa at the airport on arrival.

I believe it's fairly easy to do but since we are entering via a cruise ship, I was wondering where/how we get the Visa so we can do a private or small group tour on our own to Petra.

We boarded the ship in Aqaba and next day did a ship’s day trip to Petra ( wasn’t a Regent ship). It was a fantastic day. From memory the bus was a large one but that really wasn’t a problem. It only took you there and back to the ship. 

• Like 1