The Daily for Friday 05/13/2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Destination of the Day - Arhus, Denmark

35 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I have pictures of a couple of cats and a dog taken on our last visit to Ephesus.

Aarhus is in my plans for the end of the summer. I expect to be in Ephesus a week from Monday.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Although I'm superstitious, Friday the 13th has never bothered me, it's just another day.  I think I'd rather take the blame than lay it on someone else.  While not a fan of frogs, I say if they want to be jumping, go for it!  LOL

Today's quote is a good one - as soon as I read the first few words, I instantly heard the melody.  I'd like to try the drink of the day; it sounds like it might be quite refreshing and not heavy, as it uses coconut water rather than cream. The first thing I thought of when I read today's wine was "Wow, that sounds expensive" and I was right! 

It's a grey, cloudy day here today with only a high of +13; currently we're at 11, so we don't have far to go.  There are buds on the trees and hopefully the rain that's expected today will just make those leaves pop out.  In anticipation of the rain, DH mowed the lawns last night - the only thing he didn't to was fertilize, but that can wait for another time.  There's not a lot going on here today, especially with the grey cloudy, rainy weather, so I think we'll just be laying low.

@grapau27how can you not weigh 400 pounds (28 stone)?  Your meals are huge, yet both you and Pauline keep so trim; I'm envious!

@smitty34877 I'm happy to hear DD has been able to navigate her way through the house - that's always a good sign!

@marshhawk congrats on the sales; good for you!  Hopefully DH's appointment today will bring about some good results to help alleviate his pain.

I know DH wouldn't appreciate today's menu suggestion, so will take a pass on it; I've tried eel and am not a fan.   It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so later this afternoon we'll take a look at the online menus to see what appeals to us.  We'll likely have to eat indoors, as it will be too cool to sit on the deck, so it will be pizza on the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing assistance to them.  Extra also for our Daily family who are struggling.  We'll clink the glasses together to salute all on the celebration list.  Be well, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, and stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

@kochleffel  Ephesus is an amazing place, and we have taken tours there twice.  Enjoy your visit.

This is what I posted on May 2, 2021, about our visits to Arhus.  We enjoyed both our visits.

We have been to Arhus twice, in 2003 on the Rotterdam and in 2005 on the Marco Polo.

In 2003, we did a tour to The Old Town, Den Gamle By, which is a living museum of life from 1864 to 1974.  After the tour, we wandered around town, and got a Danish pastry.  In 2005, we just walked around town and got a Danish pastry.  While many will get coffee, beer or wine, when we are in a port we usually get a pastry or gelato, and we've been known to get both.  🍦🍩

These pictures were taken at Den Gamle By.  In addition to walking around the site, you could go into most buildings, and watch people performing tasks from that time period.

IMG_2312.thumb.JPG.c6452ae2086400c90bcdec35dd23cd9c.JPG

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.269d647587e419d918db415945d3df90.JPG

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.530b6cc0e3c9a7747da75689c508dda0.JPG

The pictures of Arhus were taken on both cruises.  I hope there are not too many almost duplicates.

Looking at the town from the Marco Polo

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.9c8b19ba97d2184473bd7d3e70dcb9e4.JPG

The rest were from our meanderings on both cruises.

IMG_2335.thumb.JPG.1926ea25d80dcc064dd45e54d6c48c17.JPG

IMG_2336.thumb.JPG.89ac639c022a2c140246aaddc44dcb46.JPG

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.898eada54dfa4fd8e8adb014a1dd2f69.JPG

IMG_5931.thumb.JPG.3adb975ee9044448f1d4233c692b03d7.JPG

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

In 2003, we did a tour to The Old Town, Den Gamle By, which is a living museum of life from 1864 to 1974. 

I'm interested in visiting Den Gamle By, but I also hope to get to the Moesgaard Prehistoric Museum, which is just outside the city and served by city bus. I'd more likely go there on my own than with a tour.
BTW, there is a single route planner for the entire country, plus travel to Skåne in Sweden and from Denmark to most of Europe, which is a little confusing to use since some place and street names can be found in almost every town in Denmark.

• Like 20

I am a little worried. I just heard from my DB who is positive for Covid.  He is   a cancer patient  and

immune  system compromised.He started the antivirals today. 

There are so many cases in our area of the world as well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 16

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We're cloudy this morning and may see some rain drops here and there later on.  High of 77F.  I am so unprepared for my May 26 cruise that it's making me have upset stomach.  I need to figure out what to do first and do it!  

But first let me thank Rich @richwmnfor posting this Daily.  Friday the 13th is considered a lucky day in our family because DH was born on Friday the 13th.  I'm sure I won't be seeing any frog jumping today.  Blame someone else day sounds pretty selfish though it happens all the time.  I'm not sure what brudet is but I'm sure Debbie will let us know.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Lists this morning.  Prayers said for all on our list, the people of Ukraine and all who help them, and my nieces and nephews.  I should ask today how all are doing since I've gotten no reports in days.  That must mean they're better.  Cheers to all celebrating and I hope we can add to that list.

I've been to Arhus, Denmark so will post the photos from the last time we had that port, May 2, 2021.

Have a great day everybody!

We visited Arhus (sometimes spelled Aarhus), Denmark in September 2011 on the Emerald Princess.  The cruise began with a Baltic cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed, followed by the British Isles, Iceland, Qaqortoq Greenland, Halifax and back to Ft. Lauderdale.  

It was a bright, chilly morning on Sept. 9, 2011 when our ship stopped in Arhus.  We enjoyed our walk through the town.  We saw this lovely canal running through the town.enhance

People liked to gather on the sunny side to dine.  I can't blame them.  It looks lovely!enhance

We made our way to a Viking Museum which was located underneath a bank.  Yes, really.enhance

As you walk down the stairs you see the levels with the years associated with that level.enhance

This thatched hut in the museum is a copy of a hut which was in that spot in Viking days, all discovered during excavation for the bank.enhance

Someone's bones found here in their final resting place.enhance

enhance

Then we saw this church called the Arhus Cathedral.enhance

It had some very unique features inside.  Like this Viking ship.enhance

And quite a fancy baptismal font I would say.enhance

enhance

enhance

Arhus is a great port to see.  I wish more ships would add these interesting places.enhance

Thank you for your photos Sandi.

Pauline was born on the 13th but not a Friday but she says 13 is a lucky number for her.

Graham.

• Like 15

56 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Although I'm superstitious, Friday the 13th has never bothered me, it's just another day.  I think I'd rather take the blame than lay it on someone else.  While not a fan of frogs, I say if they want to be jumping, go for it!  LOL

Today's quote is a good one - as soon as I read the first few words, I instantly heard the melody.  I'd like to try the drink of the day; it sounds like it might be quite refreshing and not heavy, as it uses coconut water rather than cream. The first thing I thought of when I read today's wine was "Wow, that sounds expensive" and I was right! 

It's a grey, cloudy day here today with only a high of +13; currently we're at 11, so we don't have far to go.  There are buds on the trees and hopefully the rain that's expected today will just make those leaves pop out.  In anticipation of the rain, DH mowed the lawns last night - the only thing he didn't to was fertilize, but that can wait for another time.  There's not a lot going on here today, especially with the grey cloudy, rainy weather, so I think we'll just be laying low.

@grapau27how can you not weigh 400 pounds (28 stone)?  Your meals are huge, yet both you and Pauline keep so trim; I'm envious!

@smitty34877 I'm happy to hear DD has been able to navigate her way through the house - that's always a good sign!

@marshhawk congrats on the sales; good for you!  Hopefully DH's appointment today will bring about some good results to help alleviate his pain.

I know DH wouldn't appreciate today's menu suggestion, so will take a pass on it; I've tried eel and am not a fan.   It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so later this afternoon we'll take a look at the online menus to see what appeals to us.  We'll likely have to eat indoors, as it will be too cool to sit on the deck, so it will be pizza on the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing assistance to them.  Extra also for our Daily family who are struggling.  We'll clink the glasses together to salute all on the celebration list.  Be well, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, and stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you Gerry.

My doctor says I'm overweight at 15 stones.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I am a little worried. I just heard from my DB who is positive for Covid.  He is   a cancer patient  and

Terry, what a shame your DB is positive for Covid!  It's a good thing he is getting treatments for it being immunocompromised.  We heard from a friend last week who went on a river cruise in Europe and after he got home came down with a dry cough.  Home test results showed him to be positive.  He mentioned his doctor gave him a monoclonal antibodies infusion.  He had prostate cancer a few years back, so it's good to hear they are taking special care with cancer patients/survivors.

He said he was quarantining in their guest room, and his wife is still negative.  He guesses he got Covid in the Amsterdam airport which had 2 to 3 hour security lines.

I hope your brother is feeling fine quickly and no one else in his family comes down with it.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kochleffel  Ephesus is an amazing place, and we have taken tours there twice.  Enjoy your visit.

This is what I posted on May 2, 2021, about our visits to Arhus.  We enjoyed both our visits.

We have been to Arhus twice, in 2003 on the Rotterdam and in 2005 on the Marco Polo.

In 2003, we did a tour to The Old Town, Den Gamle By, which is a living museum of life from 1864 to 1974.  After the tour, we wandered around town, and got a Danish pastry.  In 2005, we just walked around town and got a Danish pastry.  While many will get coffee, beer or wine, when we are in a port we usually get a pastry or gelato, and we've been known to get both.  🍦🍩

These pictures were taken at Den Gamle By.  In addition to walking around the site, you could go into most buildings, and watch people performing tasks from that time period.

IMG_2312.thumb.JPG.c6452ae2086400c90bcdec35dd23cd9c.JPG

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.269d647587e419d918db415945d3df90.JPG

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.530b6cc0e3c9a7747da75689c508dda0.JPG

The pictures of Arhus were taken on both cruises.  I hope there are not too many almost duplicates.

Looking at the town from the Marco Polo

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.9c8b19ba97d2184473bd7d3e70dcb9e4.JPG

The rest were from our meanderings on both cruises.

IMG_2335.thumb.JPG.1926ea25d80dcc064dd45e54d6c48c17.JPG

IMG_2336.thumb.JPG.89ac639c022a2c140246aaddc44dcb46.JPG

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.898eada54dfa4fd8e8adb014a1dd2f69.JPG

IMG_5931.thumb.JPG.3adb975ee9044448f1d4233c692b03d7.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Prayers 🙏 for your brother Terry.

Hopefully the antiviral medication will help him a lot.

Graham

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Blame Someone Else Day

Blame is not a very useful tool in relationships. Whenever my DW and I are tempted to blame, we have attempted to stay with a system that has worked for us. Since I was born on the 4th, anything that goes wrong on an even day is my fault. My DW was born on the 15th, so anything that goes wrong on an odd calendar day is her fault. 😉 

• Like 6
  • Haha 21

7 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Blame is not a very useful tool in relationships. Whenever my DW and I are tempted to blame, we have attempted to stay with a system that has worked for us. Since I was born on the 4th, anything that goes wrong on an even day is my fault. My DW was born on the 15th, so anything that goes wrong on an odd calendar day is her fault. 😉 

I think DH and I should adopt this tool.  If I bring it up with him today, everything that goes wrong today can be HIS fault!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

43 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry, I'm sorry to hear about your DB having Covid. I'm glad they are giving him  the antivirals, and sending positive thoughts that his case is mild and he recovers quickly.

22 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Hi all.

Split, Croatia, a beautiful port with nice walking ability. 

20220511_120203.jpg

20220511_121423.jpg

20220511_112546.jpg

20220511_114416.jpg

20220511_114434.jpg

20220511_095529.jpg

20220511_103739.jpg

20220511_101825.jpg

20220511_071547.jpg

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of Split.  We've been there twice and like the town.  Did you stop at Froggy Town during your walk.  A cruise friend urged us to go in 2019, and it's now on the Been There Done That list.  It's a small exhibit of stuffed frogs (real ones) in various scenes, and it is a little weird.  But then, our friend also has some strange ideas of what to visit.  😄

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Lenda.

Graham, thank you for the nice comment.

10 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I also like this idea.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good luck on Friday the 13th. No blaming anyone else. I guess some people like frog jumping.

Great Lennon quote and song.

I'll pass on the meal (fish) and drink. I like the wine, but too much money for me.

I've not been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm tired. I had set the alarm for 5:45 to get to the dentist. He used a porcelain (I think) filling mixture to reshape the missing part of the tooth. He said I can eat right away, but I'll ease into it, staying with soft things today. I wish I was someone who can nap! It's warm and sunny, and a bit more humid today. I'm heading outside to do some edging and mow, before it gets too hot.

@StLouisCruisers It's so stressful knowing (or not knowing) what one needs to do for a cruise these days. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad DD is doing ok post-surgery. Continued prayers for Tana. Prayers for DB with his Covid diagnosis; I'm glad he got the anti-viral medication. My county just went up from low to moderate status, so some schools are putting back mask wearing. I still wear mine due to my immune and health issues.

@marshhawk Good going on the Hollywood Bowl account. I hope DH's oncologist can help him.

@grapau27 Hearty breakfast!

@St Pete Cruiser Lovely pictures of Split. Thanks for sharing.

Prayers for the Care List and a salute to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Hope he will be OK. I heard those meds do work.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877  I am so sorry to hear of your DB's Covid diagnosis.  You are right that it is everywhere.  Some friends of my parents, ages 94 and 91, have both been hospitalized with Covid just recently.  These two went nowhere.  Let's hope this surge burns out quickly.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

DSIL seems to be feeling a bit better. She has an appointment with the hospital for a treatment on Monday. So far Sue and I seem to be okay but the regular flu (?) is on an increase in the area. Sue did cancel her trip to see her son in Ashland. It has been almost three years since seeing him. We may tack driving from Chicago to see him onto our trip for the wedding in July. With the flight cutbacks from our two nearby regional airports later this month, re-scheduling would take three flights to see him each way.

We haven't been to Aarhus but for those interested there is a Danish crime reporter series on Netflix that takes place there. The name of it is "Dicte"  and has three seasons. We watched it a few years ago but it still may be available.

Stay safe!

- Jack

• Like 26

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I'm not a fan of blaming others day or frogs, but toddlers sure do look cute when they jump around like frogs. Not superstitious, so just another day.

Love the quote/song. The meal sounds good to me.

@smitty34877 Terry, good to hear DD handled the steps so well. I'm sorry to hear about your DB. Praying he responds to the antivirals quickly and that it is a mild case.

@marshhawk Ann, congratulations on your sales last night. Prayers that DH gets some relief today.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I'm not a person who naps easily either. I hope what the dentist did this morning holds permanently and is comfortable for you.

@Heartgrove Jack, glad to hear that DSIL is starting to feel better and that you and Sue are still doing well.

@HAL4NOW I like that idea, BUT DH and I were both born on odd days. 😔

We've been working on different things as well as painting since before 7:00 this morning with short coffee/reading the Daily breaks. Things are moving along and DH is planning to return to GA mid week. Still not sure when DMIL is moving.

Wishing each of you a fabulous Friday. 😃

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am so unprepared for my May 26 cruise that it's making me have upset stomach.  I need to figure out what to do first and do it!  

Are you willing to share what ship?

Roy

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Are you willing to share what ship?

Roy

It's the Island Princess, 34 days from Ft. Lauderdale to Iceland, UK and Norway including Spitisbergen.  We cancelled a later Island Princess that went to the Baltics due to Russia and booked this one.  Kay and Jim @kb4683 are on that sailing too.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

OK, I had a weird, non-ocean going, experience, yesterday.

I went to Trader Joe's for a provisioning run.  (For non-U.S. readers, Trader Joe's is a chain of grocery stores.)  Among other things, I picked up some fresh basil, tomatoes and mozzarella for guess what.  Before I left I grabbed a few bottles of Mrs, XBGuy's favorite Chardonnays.  I pushed my quite full cart up to a cashier, pulled my bags out of the cart and moved to the end of the counter to help by bagging my items after the cashier scanned them.  When he picked up the first bottle of wine he stopped, caught my attention and asked to see my identification.

????

He carded me.

The last time that happened was in 1981--and I was 33 at the time.

Has anybody else been carded at a Trader Joe's. lately?

• Like 9
  • Haha 15

6 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

OK, I had a weird, non-ocean going, experience, yesterday.

I went to Trader Joe's for a provisioning run.  (For non-U.S. readers, Trader Joe's is a chain of grocery stores.)  Among other things, I picked up some fresh basil, tomatoes and mozzarella for guess what.  Before I left I grabbed a few bottles of Mrs, XBGuy's favorite Chardonnays.  I pushed my quite full cart up to a cashier, pulled my bags out of the cart and moved to the end of the counter to help by bagging my items after the cashier scanned them.  When he picked up the first bottle of wine he stopped, caught my attention and asked to see my identification.

????

He carded me.

The last time that happened was in 1981--and I was 33 at the time.

Has anybody else been carded at a Trader Joe's. lately?

No Trader Joe's near us, but our grocery stores ask for date of birth anytime we buy alcohol.  They have to key in the dates in order for us to finish and pay.  Sam's Club does the same.  It must be a law here.

• Like 14