Allentown to Cape Liberty

eddiesgal

Good morning. I have friends that are going on a cruise from Cape liberty that live in Allentown. What would be their least expensive option other than driving to get to the port? Thank you in advance for all of your kind answers.

32 minutes ago, eddiesgal said:

Good morning. I have friends that are going on a cruise from Cape liberty that live in Allentown. What would be their least expensive option other than driving to get to the port? Thank you in advance for all of your kind answers.

Allentown, NJ?  Car rental from Trenton to Bayonne not an option?

I’m not even certain where Trenton is. I was just asking for some friends to help them figure out the logistics of everything. I know nothing about Allentown. I live in Pittsburgh so Allentown is like another planet to me… Lol

1 hour ago, eddiesgal said:

I’m not even certain where Trenton is. I was just asking for some friends to help them figure out the logistics of everything. I know nothing about Allentown. I live in Pittsburgh so Allentown is like another planet to me… Lol

Are you asking about Allentown, NJ or Allentown, PA?

Allentown NJ is the one that's near Trenton.

Its about a 1.5 - 2 hour drive from Allentown, PA to Bayonne (Cape Liberty).  Its a very straight ride on Rt. 78.  Parking is $25/day.   I can't imagine a less expensive alternative.

For example, we live about 25 - 30 minutes away from Bayonne, depending on traffic.  For our upcoming cruise, we've already investigated car services and potential Uber prices.  They range from $60 (Uber depending on surge pricing) and a local car service at $140 one way!  We'll be driving our own car, pay for the parking and be on our own schedule.

As an aside, it always amuses me that people pay up to thousands of dollars for their cruise, but then want to find the cheapest, if not totally free way to to get to the port.  You need to build those costs into the total price of your vacation.  There are no free rides.  

1 hour ago, eddiesgal said:

Trans-Bridge Bus Lines runs a service from Allentown to NYC with a stop at EWR.  It takes about 2.5 hours and costs $50 per person.  Will need to take a taxi from EWR to Cape Liberty.  So, about $150 for two people (one way).  One-way car rental is about the same but an additional $250 in gas!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 9:20 AM, d9704011 said:

Trans-Bridge Bus Lines runs a service from Allentown to NYC with a stop at EWR.  It takes about 2.5 hours and costs $50 per person.  Will need to take a taxi from EWR to Cape Liberty.  So, about $150 for two people (one way).  One-way car rental is about the same but an additional $250 in gas!

TransBridge is currently not running the pier service to either Bayonne or Manhattan.  Not enough interest yet.  Last I checked, they were going to reconsider that decision sometime in June.  I live close to Allentown and have driven to Bayonne.  It really is an easy drive - much easier than trying to drive into Manhattan.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:07 AM, baggal said:

Its about a 1.5 - 2 hour drive from Allentown, PA to Bayonne (Cape Liberty).  Its a very straight ride on Rt. 78.  Parking is $25/day.   I can't imagine a less expensive alternative.

For example, we live about 25 - 30 minutes away from Bayonne, depending on traffic.  For our upcoming cruise, we've already investigated car services and potential Uber prices.  They range from $60 (Uber depending on surge pricing) and a local car service at $140 one way!  We'll be driving our own car, pay for the parking and be on our own schedule.

As an aside, it always amuses me that people pay up to thousands of dollars for their cruise, but then want to find the cheapest, if not totally free way to to get to the port.  You need to build those costs into the total price of your vacation.  There are no free rides.  

OMG.  I so much agree with you.  Spend $$$$ on a cruise but save like $20 on a flight into say LaGuardia or park offsite and save $2 per day.  

We're 30 miles from CL.  Used to use car service ($100 plus tip each way) but lately drive to CL.  Can't imagine the cost of car service today.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:48 AM, eddiesgal said:

Bethlehem PA is very close to Allentown,PA and there is a bus that goes direct to the cruiseport or did as recently as 2018.I would call the cruise port and ask.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:24 AM, eddiesgal said:

You live in PA and never heard of Trenton,NJ ? Seems a tad strange.

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Bethlehem PA is very close to Allentown,PA and there is a bus that goes direct to the cruiseport or did as recently as 2018.I would call the cruise port and ask.

That bus has not resumed service.

On 5/28/2022 at 12:39 AM, karinad said:

I'm hoping that Trans-Bridge will start service to the ports again! It's so much easier to get to the Manhattan one for us. Maybe I should call there and express our interest in going.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Too bad

i just looked at the Trans-Bridge website and they are resuming service to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Monday June 6, but service to Cape Liberty remains suspended until further notice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

i just looked at the Trans-Bridge website and they are resuming service to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Monday June 6, but service to Cape Liberty remains suspended until further notice.

Hopefully that will change .Friends of my wife and I only went that way to Bayonne.He is in his 90’s and has only gone by bus to the cruiseport in the past .

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Thank you!!! That will solve my problem! We left from Cape Liberty last year and that was so easy to get to but Manhattan is another story! No way would my husband drive! I hope they will continue it into Oct.!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 7:09 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Hopefully that will change .Friends of my wife and I only went that way to Bayonne.He is in his 90’s and has only gone by bus to the cruiseport in the past .

I am leaving out of Bayonne on a cruise on 9/01/22. I called Transbridge the other day and asked them to resume bus service to Port Liberty. If enough of us call or write, maybe they will. Fingers crossed. I'm near Reading, PA 

• 1 month later...