Saint Greg's Splendor - Seattle to Alaska - Live - May 24-31

Saint Greg

On 5/28/2022 at 2:08 PM, Saint Greg said:

I feel like there are more clamshells than usual…Alaska thing maybe?

7BC92B64-235A-440B-A12A-71568C231F83.jpeg

Clam Shells is a very Australian thing.. IN the shade during our 9 month Summers.. Great during Sail-outs with a Buck of Beers..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I could’ve saved you some time. Just smell your ranch dressing. If smells funky…and it isn’t expired…smell your ketchup and jalapeños. If your ketchup and jalapeños smell the same as your ranch, COVID positive. If they don’t, COVID negative…but throw throw that funky ranch away!

I abhor the smell of ketchup. I rather stick the swab up to my brain than smell it. 🤢

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, Saint Greg said:

I felt fine the entire cruise. I feel fine today. I’m only home because my food tasted funny yesterday. I haven’t coughed in like…2 hours.

Glad you are feeling well, what made this cruise different from a covid perspective?

• Like 2

@Saint Greg....I find it interesting that it appears that it is Alaska sailings that are being hit with Covid.

I am following several other reviews and very few cases.

I wonder if it might be that more folks are staying indoors on the ship whereas Caribbean cruises most are outside.

Not too mention it is "jabbed & boosted" folks getting the C.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Saint Greg....I find it interesting that it appears that it is Alaska sailings that are being hit with Covid.

I am following several other reviews and very few cases.

I wonder if it might be that more folks are staying indoors on the ship whereas Caribbean cruises most are outside.

Not too mention it is "jabbed & boosted" folks getting the C.

It could be the indoors. It could be more people doing excursions. I saw some speculation that it could be the buses in Victoria. Pretty much two busses taking everyone to and from town in a 2-3 hour period. They’re all packed. It’s the last night so that would explain symptoms showing after people get home.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 5

Cough got kind of bad last night. I had to talk on the phone a good bit yesterday evening. I’m wondering if that aggravated it because I really haven’t talked much since my quarantine started.

Its better this morning.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Glad you are feeling well, what made this cruise different from a covid perspective?

Well of course no masks after we boarded. But we did that on Glory in March and there was no problem. Like I said in the above post I think more people on excursions. My whale boat and glacier explorer were packed out. Busses to and from Victoria were packed out. More indoors stuff but again that happened the last day on Glory when it was 40’s outside. From a dining perspective buffet dining was forced on you because sea day brunch closed at noon. The bbq place which is normally served, was self service.

10 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Cough got kind of bad last night. I had to talk on the phone a good bit yesterday evening. I’m wondering if that aggravated it because I really haven’t talked much since my quarantine started.

Its better this morning.

Sorry to hear that your cough was bad but glad it is better this morning.

• Like 2

I think the Alaska cruises seem to be hit harder because of the long flights most people need to take..

Waiting in airports , crowded no masks etc.  Also crowded inside , few outside on deck etc.

I know I picked up Covid in Heathrow airport after the Pride TA. No masks , people from all over the world coughing etc.

It does mean that I am now immune for about 3 months so I will be able to enjoy my cruise on the Splendor next month.

• Like 3

Noticing the same thing here on land on the east coast in New Hampshire.....very few with masks and no social distancing and lots and lots of people everywhere.

Call me crazy, but I am ok with that, I am still careful and often wear a mask in a store, as it is my choice not to be "jabbed".

I'm of the age where my health is more important to me than my appearance!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I think the Alaska cruises seem to be hit harder because of the long flights most people need to take..

Waiting in airports , crowded no masks etc.  Also crowded inside , few outside on deck etc.

I know I picked up Covid in Heathrow airport after the Pride TA. No masks , people from all over the world coughing etc.

It does mean that I am now immune for about 3 months so I will be able to enjoy my cruise on the Splendor next month.

I can’t speak for everyone else but I don’t think I picked it up in the airport. I flew first class. I was in the front row. My airport time was spent in a huge lounge. Nobody was sitting next to me. And it’s only the return flights where people are catching it otherwise these covid symptoms would be on the ship. I’ll don’t think it’s the airport.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I can’t speak for everyone else but I don’t think I picked it up in the airport. I flew first class. I was in the front row. My airport time was spent in a huge lounge. Nobody was sitting next to me. And it’s only the return flights where people are catching it otherwise these covid symptoms would be on the ship. I’ll don’t think it’s the airport.

I alway wonder for people who test positive in the middle of a cruise, pick it up from their testing location?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

No I think you picked it up on the cruise probably from someone else who had no symptoms who may have picked it up from the airport getting to the cruise.'  Who knows and we can go round and round wondering.

Testing for USA flights before flying home is picking up positive cases in Vancouver.  Who then need to quarantine.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Probably from someone on the ship. I see Princess is now requiring masks indoors on Northbound and Southbound Alaska cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Aren't masks and other precautions taken at testing locations?

I don’t know where others are getting tested but all of mine have been drive-thru. And you’re supposed to wear a mask in your car. So there’s zero chance I caught mine testing and I think if that’s how it was happening there would be an outbreak on the ship.

Alaska more than any another cruise I’ve done…a lotta lotta lotta people are doing the home test because of Canada’s 48 hour rule. 

I believe the Victoria theory more than any other I’ve heard. Wouldn’t it be ironic if we’re having to jump through extra hoops for Canada and they’re the ones giving us covid on the last night of the cruise?

• Like 6

I don't think it's just Alaska.  We were on the Mardi Gras May 7th, and the whole group of friends we made on the ship all tested positive when we got off. It was my 2nd time getting it (got it on Labor day), but the rest of my family's first time getting it.  It was really nothing more than a cold for us though, gone in about 3-4 days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Aren't masks and other precautions taken at testing locations?

We masked up and it was one of the requirements to be tested at CVS.  A guy walked in and was seen by the same practitioner minutes before she saw and tested us.  He didn't wear a mask but he was in the same restrictive Minute Clinic area.:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Well of course no masks after we boarded. But we did that on Glory in March and there was no problem. Like I said in the above post I think more people on excursions. My whale boat and glacier explorer were packed out. Busses to and from Victoria were packed out. More indoors stuff but again that happened the last day on Glory when it was 40’s outside. From a dining perspective buffet dining was forced on you because sea day brunch closed at noon. The bbq place which is normally served, was self service.

All makes sense, thanks

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I don’t know where others are getting tested but all of mine have been drive-thru. And you’re supposed to wear a mask in your car. So there’s zero chance I caught mine testing and I think if that’s how it was happening there would be an outbreak on the ship.

Alaska more than any another cruise I’ve done…a lotta lotta lotta people are doing the home test because of Canada’s 48 hour rule. 

I believe the Victoria theory more than any other I’ve heard. Wouldn’t it be ironic if we’re having to jump through extra hoops for Canada and they’re the ones giving us covid on the last night of the cruise?

Sometimes the lord works in mysterious ways…..

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 2:31 PM, Saint Greg said:

One thing I forgot to post that really surprised me was how serious Alaskans are about stopping at crosswalks. 

Several times I’d come up to a crosswalk, see a car coming, and step back to let the car go. Every time the car stops. I’m like “what are you doing? Oh…I see you’re stopping for me. That’s super nice of you.”

I have a feeling I won’t get the same treatment in New York.

They'll run you over in NY and say it's your fault. (from a true NY'r)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Jgatts0212 said:

I don't think it's just Alaska.  We were on the Mardi Gras May 7th, and the whole group of friends we made on the ship all tested positive when we got off. It was my 2nd time getting it (got it on Labor day), but the rest of my family's first time getting it.  It was really nothing more than a cold for us though, gone in about 3-4 days.

It isn't. There are a bunch testing positive out of Galveston as well.

• Like 1