Live Caribbean Princess May 14th

Tak8

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

I'll try and answer some of the latest questions and concerns.

I was able to go right to my cabin and drop off my bag.  I was in the first group and on board by 11:15.

Buffet: They have many individual items that you can get yourself, but almost everything else is self serve.  They give you a tray and napkin with utensils.

I haven't noticed a drop in service, but I'm in CC.  I did notice a slight drop in CG.  My section had only 1 waiter and no assistant.  Hard to get superior service with that.

More later, time to get ready for formal dinner.

That definitely changed from the last leg. We never saw a tray the whole time we were there. The crew served the hot meals and we were given a plate and utensils when we first walked in the food area.

• Like 1

This question is directed towards anyone currently on this CB cruise that was on the last leg which went through the Panama Canal. Did you have to take an antigen test either on the day prior to transition day or on transition day after you had temporarily disembarked to clear the ship?

When I talked with some folks the evening before transition day in the Explorers Lounge, they said they had neither tested nor received any paperwork stating they would have to pass an antigen test in the terminal area before being allowed to reboard. Just checking to see if any testing was ever accomplished. Thanks!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I imagine they "self serve" buffet might be due to the fact they need servers elsewhere since it appears they are very short handed.

I agree that when the number of passengers increases and the crew doesn't there are going to be more and more issues with service.

When I was on HAL eating in the Pinnacle Grill (steakhouse) we had one server, one person bussing the tables, one waiter, one cocktail server, one assistant waiter and they were all the same person.....it was horrible, the poor guy had sweat pouring down his face.   It didn't make fine dining very enjoyable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I imagine they "self serve" buffet might be due to the fact they need servers elsewhere since it appears they are very short handed.

I agree that when the number of passengers increases and the crew doesn't there are going to be more and more issues with service.

When I was on HAL eating in the Pinnacle Grill (steakhouse) we had one server, one person bussing the tables, one waiter, one cocktail server, one assistant waiter and they were all the same person.....it was horrible, the poor guy had sweat pouring down his face.   It didn't make fine dining very enjoyable.

Then perhaps princess should put the safety of their crew both mentally and physically and then the guests as well and lower the capacity so they can do the protocols they have set forth over money.  If we as guests have to follow them to get on board then princess should do their part and follow the protocols that they just updated and still state that the crew will be doing the serving. We couldn't show up and opt out of following the protocols and be allowed on so it is wrong to advertise one thing then get on board to something completely different.  If they want to go back to full self service then update it on the safety protocols don't lie. Then we as guests know what to expect if we choose to still sail.  If they are cutting this corner what other corners might they be cutting as far as safety 🤔 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Yes

26 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Then perhaps princess should put the safety of their crew both mentally and physically and then the guests as well and lower the capacity so they can do the protocols they have set forth over money.  If we as guests have to follow them to get on board then princess should do their part and follow the protocols that they just updated and still state that the crew will be doing the serving. We couldn't show up and opt out of following the protocols and be allowed on so it is wrong to advertise one thing then get on board to something completely different.  If they want to go back to full self service then update it on the safety protocols don't lie. Then we as guests know what to expect if we choose to still sail.  If they are cutting this corner what other corners might they be cutting as far as safety 🤔 

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It is not happening on the CP at the moment.  Let your TAs, Princess VIPs, that leadership/management needs to get it together. 

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into the next great attire debate, but after reading so many do they or don't they wear formal attire, I thought I would give my fresh eyes perspective.  I'd say 85% in the dining room wore formal attire - small percentage a tux, vast majority a suit (some with, some without a tie) and some just dress shirt and pants.  The rest were more causal.  

Formal dinner was great.  I recommend the duck a l'orange if you are a duck person.  It was very moist.

The show was suppose to be singers and dancers, but they made the announcement before dinner that there was a technical issue and they switched to a Tina Turner tribute by Breanna Faust, a GA native who was on American Idol.  She put on an energetic show.

Today we are in San Juan.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It is not happening on the CP at the moment.  Let your TAs, Princess VIPs, that leadership/management needs to get it together. 

Cheers

Yup I have alerted our TA to let his rep know. 

3 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into the next great attire debate, but after reading so many do they or don't they wear formal attire, I thought I would give my fresh eyes perspective.  I'd say 85% in the dining room wore formal attire - small percentage a tux, vast majority a suit (some with, some without a tie) and some just dress shirt and pants.  The rest were more causal.  

Formal dinner was great.  I recommend the duck a l'orange if you are a duck person.  It was very moist.

The show was suppose to be singers and dancers, but they made the announcement before dinner that there was a technical issue and they switched to a Tina Turner tribute by Breanna Faust, a GA native who was on American Idol.  She put on an energetic show.

Is the hopon-hopoff trolley running in Old San Juan?

37 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Is the hopon-hopoff trolley running in Old San Juan?

I'm anxious to hear confirmation of this as well.

I'll be there in a week on another line,  so I checked yesterday.

According to their tourism website, updated for 2022, they are back in service. 

There is nothing current about it on the San Juan port of call page.

Edited by EatonDoolittle

Just now, EatonDoolittle said:

We saw a similar notice when we returned after the last hurricane - but it wasn't.  🙃

5 hours ago, Tak8 said:

😄, I'm a duck fan. My/our server kept waiving me off the duck entree. Finally after the third approach, I lowered my landing gear, informed Rufio that I brought this particular wine expressly for the duck dish. "  Uncork my bottle and let's get this show started. "  Best damn duck I've had in years. I had two servings , much to Rufio's dismay.  Rufio and I talked before leaving that night. Turns out he has anatidaephobia.  Even if it's no longer moving 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, c-boy said:

😄, I'm a duck fan. My/our server kept waiving me off the duck entree. Finally after the third approach, I lowered my landing gear, informed Rufio that I brought this particular wine expressly for the duck dish. "  Uncork my bottle and let's get this show started. "  Best damn duck I've had in years. I had two servings , much to Rufio's dismay.  Rufio and I talked before leaving that night. Turns out he has anatidaephobia.  Even if it's no longer moving 😏

I get duck every time I see it on the menu.  Only disappointed once on RCL when it was really dry.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 4:23 PM, Happiest when cruising said:

Yes, we were too. We didn’t use Uber or Lyft as we are from Canada and don’t have a phone plan for the US. 
There was also a large minivan type vehicle in the parking lot saying he would take people to the port for 25.00 per person. So, when I saw a cab waiting, we walked over to see what the charge was, since it was per taxi…we took it. 

We also paid 22.00 , from the airport. That also seemed high, the meter read, 17.25.-  when I asked about it, he told me there is an extra charge to go between the hotels and the airport….and the airport and the port. I wasn’t about to argue after a long travel day. But..he got the same 22.00 he would have, had the fare been accurate. 

off topic… we wouldn’t stay at the Hilton again. We arrived around 8:45 pm, so nowhere open to eat onsite after we quickly dropped off our bags.
It had been a very long day, coming from BC, Canada. 
The only option for a sit down breakfast was a buffet…which we were trying to stay away from, and the cost was 26.00 p.p. I’m sure it was tasty…but since we were heading for the ship, we just didn’t need it. So..that’s why we walked to the delicious place for a lighter bite to eat. 

we stay at the Renaissance so always eat our breakfast at the same bagel place.   We really like it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tak8 said:

They must have changed the cooking method on the duck.  I had it on the Discovery and by far it was the best dish of the cruise.  I haven't ordered it for years because of it being consistently dry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, c-boy said:

God love you @c-boy!! You never disappoint.  And often force me to trek on over to Google.

Anatidaephobia is the irrational fear that somewhere, a duck or goose is watching you.

image.png.ddfc888049d98c1da809104f0ad6685b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

There is nothing current about it on the San Juan port of call page.

Off topic, but I hope you are well 👍.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

God love you @c-boy!! You never disappoint.  And often force me to trek on over to Google.

Anatidaephobia is the irrational fear that somewhere, a duck or goose is watching you.

image.png.ddfc888049d98c1da809104f0ad6685b.png

Well, those Canada Geese can be pretty mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1