Silversea Cancelled my May 25th Flight to Vancouver

newbet

I really need some help.  I have fully paid for a cruise for myself and granddaughter.  It was supposed to include transportation.  The travel agent assigned from Silver Sea has cancelled our flights and I cannot get him to understand that they are cancelled.  I went ahead and booked my own return flight from the cruise because they could not provide wheelchair assistance between terminals in Seattle and it was a quick change.  I am 80 and cannot run very well anymore! :).  This was supposed to be a wonderful trip.  They have cancelled the chauffer service to the airport.  That's ok - but they also cancelled our flight which included upgrades to economy +.  Alaska Air says they have refunded the tickets to Silversea.  I don't know what to do.  I have called and called and the agent doesn't understand that I have no flights.  The cruise leaves on 26 May 2022 from Vancouver.  This is my 4th cruise with Silversea.  Can someone please help us out.  Thank you.

Hi newbet. I can see you are very stressed by what appears to have happened and I can sympathize with that,  However, I am having a bit of difficulty in grasping the situation.  It sounds as if you only wanted one way flight cancelled but both were cancelled. However, I might be wrong. It would be much better, and people might be better able to assist you, if you can get someone else to explain on your behalf. Maybe you granddaughter or a close friend? People will be very willing to help here when they know the exact problem. All the best.

Thank you Michael.  When I discovered that the return flight was a "red eye" without handicapped support, I asked them to move it to a day flight, keeping the first flight as is.  They then changed the flight from midnight on the 2nd to 6:00 a.m. on the 3rd of June.  They also arranged a hotel for us for $647.00.  And they were fining us $300.00 for not taking the original return flight.  I then booked a direct flight on another carrier and found Marriott Hotel that was much less.  I let them know I would take care of my flight home, reiterating that I wanted the first flight left as is and the Fairmont Hotel and the  transportation.  I received a reply with my flights and ticket information from the Agent at Silver Sea..  When I contacted Air Alaska to confirm the wheelchair request and seat assignment, I was provided with a message telling me the flight had been refunded and was fully used.  I will leave a message for Jose at Silversea tomorrow. If he gives me the same story that the flight has not been cancelled, then I will have my grand daughter speak to Jose in his "mother tongue."  Perhaps "he" is not understanding me.  I really do appreciate your response and especially the reminder to be clearer about the issue.  Sometimes anger gets in the way!  

10 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m sorry, but I still don’t know what you are looking for, newbet. What exactly is it that you are you seeking from Silversea, or that you want them to do?

I paid for door-to-door.  When I go to the Airport on the 25th of May, I would like to have a flight.  They have cancelled the flight I was supposed to take.  I want them to do what I paid them to do - provide transportation so that we can go on the cruise that I have also paid for.  

It sounds like perhaps when you cancelled the return flight it could not be uncoupled from the outbound flight or something went awry and the entire reservation was cancelled.  Someone dropped the ball if it was not communicated to you clearly when that return flight was cancelled.  You booked Door to Door but with booking your own flight home it sounds like the D2D no longer applied.  Have you checked that the sailing portion of your reservation is still valid?  If you are not being understood by SS that you even have a problem then perhaps as mentioned someone can speak on your behalf to try to get it resolved.   How stressful it must be for you.  Best of luck.

• Like 2

I agree with Gourmet Gal's assessment.  You had originally had a two way flight and cancellation of one way canceled the other.  The agent should have known that and explained it to you thoroughly.  When you made your own reservation, you stepped outside of the Door to Door arrangement.  I think someone knowledgable about this kind of thing needs to call your Silversea agent in your behalf to get it straightened out.  I'm sure something can be done. 

In the future, you might want to book your cruise through a helpful travel agent who can take all of your needs into account from the beginning and manage things for you.  This is what we do and it has worked for us so far.  

• Like 3

I'm so sorry this happened! Can you book your own flight to Vancouver? I would try that and then work out the refund later.

If not, and since time is short, I suggest emailing Barbara Muckerman (unless you are on the Silversea Passengers Facebook group, where she monitors and responds to posts about problems like this). barbaram at silversea.com

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your suggestion and the suggestion of purchasing a ticket going as well. Wonder if that means I need to find a hotel as well.  This will be the 8th cruise for me.  3rd with Silversea.  Oceania booked flights for me but I booked my own with Windstar and the first Silversea cruise.  I will reach out to the person you mentioned.  Thank you so much.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, newbet said:

Thank you so much for your suggestion and the suggestion of purchasing a ticket going as well. Wonder if that means I need to find a hotel as well.  This will be the 8th cruise for me.  3rd with Silversea.  Oceania booked flights for me but I booked my own with Windstar and the first Silversea cruise.  I will reach out to the person you mentioned.  Thank you so much.

Though D2D is new, certainly making own flight and hotel arrangements isn't. When doing so,  you effectively bought a P2P cruise with no transfers from airport / hotel and ship either.

So,  (and appreciate this is from the outside looking in) I can't see how you ever had a D2D booking and sounds like a great deal of miscommunication going on.

On your original booking receipt from the agent, I would expect it to spell out the schedule in full and what exactly you bought. As I said, D2D is new, but I'd be surprised if it mentioned transfers included by silversea and wonder if it did, was from the agent. Certainly when I've left the arrangements to the agent I have, I did get transfers, but was the agent making the arrangements, not Silversea.

Clarifying with your agent is the way forward here I think. Good luck and hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.

• Like 1