Tips for doing laundry onboard ...

BuckeyeMark

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Did you make up that statistic?

Nice quote from Hill Street Blues.

Don't know about his quote for  percentage but have seen big arguments in laundry room pre pandemic.

3 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

It seems to me that some of the launderettes had a sign stating how long the washers and dryers took. If they don't, they should.....that way, one could easily set a timer on their phone. That's what we always do, so we know we will get back when it is finished.

45 minutes

2 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Don't know about his quote for  percentage but have seen big arguments in laundry room pre pandemic.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

source please

Obviously I made the statistic up. But nevertheless laundrettes are a source of potential conflict. 

And thanks for getting the Hill Street Blues reference - my favourite TV cop show of all time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Nice quote from Hill Street Blues.

Thanks for recognising it ! A bit upset that no one else seemed to have picked up on it. 

You and I obviously share the same excellent taste in cop shows !

6 hours ago, BabySarge said:

The reason the Purex all in one sheets were discontinued is that there were tons of complaints from consumers about the product leaving grease type stains on the clothing after using.  Which is why I stopped using them myself although I did think the idea was brilliant.  Now I just take my own laundry pods and dryer sheets in double zip locked baggies.  

Laundromat Courtesies:

1.  Empty the lint filter in the dryer after your clothes are done.

2.  Don't put your things in the washer or dryer and then leave for an hour or more to lay by the pool, play bingo, or go to the movie.  

I had read those complaints too, but so far, knock on wood, no problems for me.  If I decide they are getting too old I will do the pods and dryer sheets too.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thehowlingroad said:

there’s 3 of us! even without laundry, there’s never enough hangers. and I believe the ones on board are wooden hotel ones, which is not a good idea to drape wet clothing on them.

I just ask for more hangers and they always bring plenty--wire ones, usually.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for recognising it ! A bit upset that no one else seemed to have picked up on it. 

You and I obviously share the same excellent taste in cop shows !

Best tv cop show by far, no other one is even close. And what a cast!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

87% of all fights on cruise ships start in the laundrettes.

Be careful out there ! 

Boy you got that right I seen a good one. I was walking by and two ladies were going at it. Until two cabin Stewarts broke it up. 
Tony

If my memory is working this morning, and there is no guarantee on that, each little box of detergent from the machine in the laundromat is $1.25 and you have to use a token to get it and that token is not the same as the $3.00 token you need for each load of laundry and each load in the dryer.

My biggest (un-obvious) tip if you wash clothes in the sink, squeeze/wring out the wet clothes in a towel before hanging. It will dry a lot faster. Other than that the obvious is to bring clothes that dry fast. I realize this is harder on a cruise for dinners, events, etc. so that's more of a personal decision.

Some ships don't have laundry facilities, so if you don't want to wash in the sink or send out for the cruise to do it (cost, special handling), you will need to make some sacrifices.

We one-bag carry-on backpack (< 35L) travel so pack all quick dry clothing. Never done it for a cruise but will be my first try in August as we'll be traveling around by train in Spain for 2 weeks before a cruise. Plan is to pack pants, polo and shirt (all quick dry) for dinners. So yes, it'll just be a shirt and tie for me on formal nights.

On a recent cruise I tried out this Scrubba wash bag.  It worked well for a small load of clothes: 3-4 underwear, two tshirts, 2 pair socks.   The only mistake I made was not wringing out the clothes enough, or rolling in a towel after rinsing.  I haven't tried a large item like jeans yet, but I think in pinch it would work well. Though I imagine jeans would take a while to dry. 

eta:  I packed a travel bottle with liquid laundry soap. I thought liquid would dissolve quicker than powder.

Edited by dreams_of_travel
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

I use a pillow case. 😉

You could also use the handy dandy blue bag that Princess leaves on the bed.

I was told that Princess has discontinued the blue fabric tote bags.  None were available on Enchanted over the past weekend when I asked for one.  Not sure if the discontinuance of the bags is misinformation , but it's what I was told.

12 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I was told that Princess has discontinued the blue fabric tote bags.  None were available on Enchanted over the past weekend when I asked for one.  Not sure if the discontinuance of the bags is misinformation , but it's what I was told.

If true, something else that will be blamed on the C virus. Where will it end? Rhetorical question. it likely never will.  

Off the Royal Princess 5/2-5/14 sailing - laundry tokens were $3 each and detergent/dryer sheet tokens were $1.50 each. The token dispenser on our floor never seemed to want to work so we had to go up a floor to get tokens or you can get them at guest services.

I packed a few Tide Pods and a ziploc bag of dryer sheets. 

The sign said about 30-35 minutes for the wash cycle and 40-45 for the dryer. We went back after about 40-45 minutes to switch to the dryer and someone had removed the clothes from the washing machine. 

1 hour ago, dreams_of_travel said:

On a recent cruise I tried out this Scrubba wash bag.  It worked well for a small load of clothes: 3-4 underwear, two tshirts, 2 pair socks.   The only mistake I made was not wringing out the clothes enough, or rolling in a towel after rinsing.  I haven't tried a large item like jeans yet, but I think in pinch it would work well. Though I imagine jeans would take a while to dry. 

eta:  I packed a travel bottle with liquid laundry soap. I thought liquid would dissolve quicker than powder.

Would love to hear more about Scrubba!  That seems to beat waiting in the laundry room for a washer.  How hard is it to use?  Did it get stuff really clean and how hard was it to rinse the soap out of the clothes?

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

We got 2 on Discovery in April...maybe we got yours.🤣

Kind of laundry related:

My husband packs his oldest T-shirts and wears them to the gym and then throws them away.   Less luggage for the way home and less dirty clothes to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Would love to hear more about Scrubba!  That seems to beat waiting in the laundry room for a washer.  How hard is it to use?  Did it get stuff really clean and how hard was it to rinse the soap out of the clothes?

It worked really well.  It is not fast, but seems to get clothes cleaner than washing out in the sink.  Follow the directions exactly, don't over fill, don't use too much detergent, etc.  I carried the filled bag out to by the desk, and used my feet to swish all the clothes around for about 15 mins.  I found that easier than bending over using my hands.  Rinsing out was fairly easy using the shower, filling the bag, swishing without being latched/closed.  I did that twice b/c I hate soap residue.  Overall I will bring it again on a long cruise for a few things as needed.