Sailing into Mexico

jamesnnb

I am not aware of any special Mexico travel warnings

if they exist remember that Mexico is quite a large country and you need more specific ideas of where these warnings are mentioned

We've done 2 Mexico cruises in the last4 months and all,was just fine!!

15 minutes ago, dockman said:

did 3 weeks back to back in feb..zero problems cabo mazatlan and puerto vallarta

We did the same; probably on some of the same cruises and found the same conditions/attitudes etc. As far as we are concerned - no worries.

I think there are travel warnings about Mazatlan, but the areas to be concerned about are not part of the typical tourist's beat.  The drug cartels and the tourist areas do not intersect.

Even the tourists who go into the sleazy bars and clubs are not going into dangerous cartel areas!

I live in Mexico and feel much safer here than I do north of the border.  We are sensible like we are when traveling anywhere not to flash money or jewelry.  The cartels are responsible for the crime you hear about on the news but if you not a member of a rival gang, you are not a person of interest to the cartel.  I shudder at all the senseless killings north of the border these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I think there are travel warnings about Mazatlan, but the areas to be concerned about are not part of the typical tourist's beat.  The drug cartels and the tourist areas do not intersect.

Even the tourists who go into the sleazy bars and clubs are not going into dangerous cartel areas!

Actually, quite a few years ago, cruise ships stopped going to Mazatlan for quite a while because of drug cartel activity in the tourist areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Actually, quite a few years ago, cruise ships stopped going to Mazatlan for quite a while because of drug cartel activity in the tourist areas.

And the boycott by the cruise lines hurt the local economy so much that the cartels and local/state governments came to an informal agreement that the cartels would not do any violence in the tourist areas.  That has been much honored, and I have always felt safe in the tourist areas of Mazatlan, despite any violence in other parts of Sinaloa (the State in which Mazatlan is located), especially when cruise ships are in port.  

I am sorry to say that as long as the violence is only directed at other cartels and does NOT spill over into the tourists and innocent locals, my attitude is that they can kill each other as much as they want.

Pickpocketing and other tourist-focused crime is another story!

On 5/16/2022 at 2:08 PM, tonit964 said:

We were rushed onto a bus after an excursion.  I don’t know what happened but something did. After that cruise ships stopped going to Mazatlan for quite a while.

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We were rushed onto a bus after an excursion.  I don’t know what happened but something did. After that cruise ships stopped going to Mazatlan for quite a while.

If I remember correctly, there was a shootout right in the tourist shopping area where the seashell store is.

The same thing happened in Acapulco, a shootout at the Hotels Flamingo which is part of an excursion. I had just been there the month before on a cruise. Sad they stopped going there but understand it.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 2:06 PM, jamesnnb said:

With the recent ‘travel to Mexico” warnings, does anyone have any recent stops/comments about their visits in Mexico and the reception they received while there?

My ship (Majestic Princess) visited Ensenada about three weeks ago.  I only got off for a short amount of time, didn't take any excursions, and didn't go into town.  I felt very safe, but I didn't do anything but people watch.  I didn't hear any reports of any trouble in town, but then again I'm always the last to know such things.

My cruise next month will be a bigger test as we're heading to Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.  I may or may not do excursions.

8 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

If I remember correctly, there was a shootout right in the tourist shopping area where the seashell store is.

The same thing happened in Acapulco, a shootout at the Hotels Flamingo which is part of an excursion. I had just been there the month before on a cruise. Sad they stopped going there but understand it.

So many shootings in the US also....probably more than in Mexico.

• Like 1

There have been these warnings now for many years

At the same time we have done at least 1 Mexico cruise each year for the past 10 years

There are also many Canadian and USA citizens who spend the winter in various cities in Mexico

We get off the ship and enjoy the ports

Ensenada especially should not be feared!

Living close by in San Diego makes it easy to visit there to spend short vacations or day trips for wine tasting

I wouldn't worry!