Southampton Covid test at port.

Cabernet Girl

Hi,  Can you still get tested when you arrive to check in at Southampton port?  I know it was $60 each, but it's just going to be easier to get it done then. I'm planning to test at home before I go to put my mind at ease, although I know the home tests aren't always accurate.  Has anyone done this and is it straightforward?  This is for Sky Princess cruise 28th May.

Thank you

Edited by Cabernet Girl

By all accounts the whole process is simple and straightforward,  and as so many people have already tested, those who want to be tested at the port  are saying that the process is extremely speedy.

As of this morning, Princess has updated their faqs again for sailings from the uk.   last week the faq stated they would only test those that had proof they got a test and the results did not come back.  Today, it has changed back to prior wording.  I do see that it also says the number of test are limited, which would scare me if they should run out.  There are a couple local testing centers in Southampton if you are spending the night before the cruise and there is also the proctored online testing option.  We are going to try that the night before our cruise.  

We recommend guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans. For fully vaccinated guests, we will be able to provide a limited number of antigen tests that meet our requirements, at or near the terminal. For those that wish to take advantage of this convenience, a fee of $60 USD per person will apply as a stateroom folio charge to cover our internal costs.

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

By all accounts the whole process is simple and straightforward,  and as so many people have already tested, those who want to be tested at the port  are saying that the process is extremely speedy.

Thank you

18 minutes ago, mina said:

As of this morning, Princess has updated their faqs again for sailings from the uk.   last week the faq stated they would only test those that had proof they got a test and the results did not come back.  Today, it has changed back to prior wording.  I do see that it also says the number of test are limited, which would scare me if they should run out.  There are a couple local testing centers in Southampton if you are spending the night before the cruise and there is also the proctored online testing option.  We are going to try that the night before our cruise.  

We recommend guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans. For fully vaccinated guests, we will be able to provide a limited number of antigen tests that meet our requirements, at or near the terminal. For those that wish to take advantage of this convenience, a fee of $60 USD per person will apply as a stateroom folio charge to cover our internal costs.

We are travelling down by train in the morning, so won't have time to do one at Southampton.

Thanks for your reply.

1 hour ago, kernowkat said:

I agree i don't like  the fact that test are limited, I wonder if you would be able to book in advance.

You can't book in advance.

I have not heard of anyone not being able to get a test at the port.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Updated on 11 May. Updated yet again on the 17 May.

Take careful note of the “at or near the terminal” part of the statement.

In the case of Southampton,  you are talking 40 metres !

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In the case of Southampton,  you are talking 40 metres !

But have they changed where you could possibly have a test because they have limited supply so could an occasion where if they run out and cannot do it at the terminal they send you somewhere near the terminal for a test. Dont know if they have always said they have a limited supply but is possible an option if they run out and have an agreement with a company close by to do test rather than miss your cruise.

Edited by majortom10

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

But have they changed where you could possibly have a test because they have limited supply so could an occasion where if they run out they send you somewhere near the terminal for a test. Dont know if they hav ealways said they have a limited supply but is possible an option if they run out.

Personally I think Princess are using the term "limited supply" to try and pressurize as many passengers as possible to test prior to arrival at the port.  

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies.

I have decided to pre-book my test on the Thursday before, to be on the safe side.

Used DocHQ, once you log-in they give you a 30% discount.  Therefore only £38.50 for the two of us.

Hope this info may be of use to others.

• Like 2

I wanted to get tested getting OFF in southampton on  May 9 as I had been in quarantine and had tested negative BUT i was not allowed to fly again until xx days from last test...bottom line is they said they were set up to test arriving new crew and if i wanted to wait a couple of hours they "might" be able to test me.  Ended up getting tested at healthrow which took 2.5 hours and cost $75 and i still did not get the promised test results in 40 min but the next day...not fun to get covid on the ship and then try and sort through the mine field of negative tests . how many days since exposure etc.