Worth it to upgrade to Concierge Suite from F Deluxe Suite?

This will be our second cruise on Regent.  We will be on the June 1st sailing out of Vancouver on Mariner.  We found our current suite on the seat guru portion of cruisecritic and it was given a great review.  Our travel agent told us today (after I asked) that we had the opportunity to upgrade to the concierge suite.  I'm not sure it's worth the money tho.  Any comments?

Thank you!

Edited by wackypack1

I literally just booked our first ever Regent cruise, London to London next May.. and we decided on Concierge Suite .. We like that it includes a 1 night pre-cruise hotel stay in London, then breakfast and transfers to Southampton Cruise Terminal directly to our ship Splendor.  Also, the room has a larger balcony and 4 internet log-ins for 4 devices as opposed to only one in the Superior suite.  Made sense for us to book this category.

wack----:

So-many aspect(s) to your question. 

First:  Why did you have to ask your TA about this upgrade?  A TA with experience both actually sailing on a Regent ship; and/or history booking same--would have communicated this potential upgrade option without a need for a prompt by a customer. Unless-unless--this option JUST-appeared.  

Second:  please provide more specifics.   What Suite category are you currently booked into?  Third, you live in Texas.  Assume you have already firmed-up air itinerary, as your segment starts in the very-near future.  This is critical.  Are you utilizing Regent Air?  If so, Regent is responsible for any glitches which might impact arrival at that Vancouver "Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal". 

Have been there on many occasions.  Will be there again, via Explorer, September, 2023--Vancouver to Tokyo segment.    

As your TA probably explained:  Concierge includes transfer following arrival at Vancouver Airport to Regent's designated hotel; one night stay at that hotel; breakfast on departure day; and transfer to ship at that stunning Terminal.  Similar transfer(s) included following debarkation from ship to airport for return home.  All baggage handling done without need for much effort on your part.  

Peace of mind is key.  Particularly in this still uncertain time. Plan for a glitch.  Do NOT count on no event causing disruption in your schedule as to getting to Vancouver.  It is, another Country.  And this from us at Seattle/Redmond, who travel to Vancouver about twice a year.  Stuff does happen.  

Bottom Line:  Yes, it is worth it.  

Whatever you decide, strongly suggest scheduling arrival at Vancouver one day prior to embarkation.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Context.

If your June 1 sailing is this year, then it’s in a couple of weeks. That means that the main perk of concierge—the hotel night—is not part of the offer. And the early access to excursion and dining reservations is meaningless at this point. Essentially, what you get is a coffee maker in the room and a couple extra log-ins. On Mariner, the concierge cabin is identical to the regular cabins, so you don’t get any difference in the suite itself. Plus, many of the concierge suites are on deck 10, under the pool deck. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT, unless you enjoy the sound of chairs scraping above your head early in the morning.

So, no, it is not worth it.

(PS, I just got off Mariner the other day)

• Like 6

TS:

Just-reviewed wish's entry.  My comment did not consider possibility of the pre-night hotel stay not being included in Concierge booking.  Frankly, I did not consider this aspect.  

So--recommend getting back to your TA ASAP and obtain specific details as to benefits (or, lack of same) for "upgrading".  If the hotel stay is a no-no; then wish has it right.  And, location on ship is equally important, as wish noted.  

Please advise results of your inquiry.  

GOARMY!

4 hours ago, wackypack1 said:

Our travel agent told us today (after I asked) that we had the opportunity to upgrade to the concierge suite.

I agree with wish’s assessment.

As you say, you have a suite in a good location with previously positive reviews, so it would have to be a very attractive offer to make it worth a change at this late stage.

Has your TA told you the location of the available concierge suite? Is the upgrade price just the normal differential or is there a discounted deal on offer?

Now if there was a Penthouse or Horizon going at a knock-down price then that would certainly be worth considering on Mariner.

Hope you have a fabulous cruise, whatever you decide.

As a last-minute upgrade, you would not get the benefit of the pre-cruise hotel.  So little benefit to you, unless the location is significantly better.  But if your current suite is in a good location, or unless you really want to be higher up in the ship, I'd stay where you are.

• Like 2

If you don’t get the pre-cruise perks then the only significant benefit of Concierge is the multiple WiFi logins from my perspective. 

Another thing to consider is the bathroom. If you have a shower only room now you want to make sure the upgrade room is also shower-only. 

• Like 2

We once upgraded to Concierge on the Mariner for $1000 or so. But we did so because my wife had back surgery between booking and sail date, and it was the only way we could avoid that shower/tub combo, which she would have been unable to navigate. We did not get the pre cruise benefits, and the suite was identical to all the lower level suites. But for the medical problem, it would not have been worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

We once upgraded to Concierge on the Mariner for $1000 or so. But we did so because my wife had back surgery between booking and sail date, and it was the only way we could avoid that shower/tub combo, which she would have been unable to navigate. We did not get the pre cruise benefits, and the suite was identical to all the lower level suites. But for the medical problem, it would not have been worth it.

It sounds like concierge was the only type left that had shower-only when you booked.

Just to clarify: the shower/tub combo can turn up in both regular and concierge cabins, as can shower-only. You have to look at the deck plan to be sure that what you're getting is the shower-only type.

I think you get use of binoculars, maybe a wool blanket, and there's usually an Illy espresso machine in the room...but at this point if the pre-cruise night isn't included, it'd be a hard pass for me.

We've paid the extra for Concierge once or twice, it's worth it *sometimes* but for us, not too often.

• Like 1

We are on an Austalia/NZ cruise in 2024. No Concierge or higher available. Really want it to get earlier chance to book tours as well as specialty restaurants plus more than one wifi. So we have confirmed G2 with wait list for concierge. We have two Regent cruises scheduled within next 8 months. Assuming we do not have to cancel due to Covid or any other reason we will have reached Silver level, so will get earlier chance to book tour and restaurant reservations anyway even without Concierge cabin...so waiting to see how things play out.

2 hours ago, edgee said:

We are on an Austalia/NZ cruise in 2024. No Concierge or higher available. Really want it to get earlier chance to book tours as well as specialty restaurants plus more than one wifi. So we have confirmed G2 with wait list for concierge. We have two Regent cruises scheduled within next 8 months. Assuming we do not have to cancel due to Covid or any other reason we will have reached Silver level, so will get earlier chance to book tour and restaurant reservations anyway even without Concierge cabin...so waiting to see how things play out.

Exactly Concierge is important for the expanded booking window for Specialty restaurants & excursions until you hit silver.  Once you hit silver the only real benefit is the hotel & extra internet connections, not worth it.  Its my understanding that if you are willing to share a table you may be able to get extra specialty resos. 

I've read that Silversea and Seabourn have no hierarchy (first come first serve) to specialty restaurant reservations & excursions,  a better model IMO.

• Like 2

Thank you for all your comments.  I am new to this.  We passed on the upgrade.  It did not include the pre night hotel.  However, I think we may have the dreaded tub/shower combo.  We are on deck 8, 823.  We will be arriving in Vancouver the day before our cruise.

Thank you,

Wacky

6 minutes ago, wackypack1 said:

Thank you for all your comments.  I am new to this.  We passed on the upgrade.  It did not include the pre night hotel.  However, I think we may have the dreaded tub/shower combo.  We are on deck 8, 823.  We will be arriving in Vancouver the day before our cruise.

Thank you,

Wacky

Not to worry. 823 is a shower only suite.

Dave

Yippee!  Thanks for that info, Dave.

Now about internet access......one device will get wifi for free.  I do have an Int'l plan with ATT, but does this work on the ship?  I'm trying to figure out how to text and send pics from the ship with both iphones.  ATT offers a cruise package that is $100 per phone.  What do you veterans recommend?

Thank you,

Wackypack

I can only speak to Verizon, but I had regular domestic cell service—no extra charge—throughout Alaska, since we were still in the U.S.  That being said, some of the remote ports (Sitka, Juneau) had weak or no signals. But then, we also had no wifi there either (the satellite signals weren’t coming through). 

Your domestic plan may also cover Canada. Some do.

16 hours ago, wackypack1 said:

I am almost positive Canada and Mexico are on my plan!  Thank you for helping me realize this.

If your plan is like mine (Verizon, but I believe others are the same) you may have Canada and Mexico service, however, your carrier may set a data use limit per day. After you reach your limit they throttle your speed way down until midnight when your next day's data use allotment begins. I have only hit my limit once...on a rainy post cruise day in Whistler...a little too much screen time....🤔