The Daily for Sunday 05/22/2022

richwmn

Today is Buy a Musical Instrument Day, National Maritime Day, and World Goth Day

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.--Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Meal Suggestion for today - vegetarian brown rice salad with parsnips and whip
Drink of the Day - Tequiliano
Wine of the Day - Domaine des Bosquets 2018 La Colline (Gigondas) Rh
Destination of the Day - Savusavu, Vanua Levi, Fiji

Ships With Passengers

Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland

Rotterdam   07:00 - 17:00

At Sea

Eurodam   Destination Juneau, Alaska
Koningsdam   Destination Juneau, Alaska

Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 16:00

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz

Oosterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Quebec City, Canada

Zaandam   07:00 - 17:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 16:30

Whittier, Alaska

Noordam   01:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0522World.thumb.png.967a22c0b1a8eb1b26894490fb4295f5.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A bad storm went through Southern Ontario yesterday, fortunately we missed it.  Lots of trees down and power outages, I heard 4 people killed. 

I won't be buying a musical instrument today, I'm not musical.  A big thank you to the maritime industry.  I'm not a fan of Goth.

Love the quote, love the book.

I'll pass on the meal.  I'm sure the drink is tasty.  Hope the wine isn't too expensive.

Thanks in advance for the pictures of Fiji.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Yesterday got hot in the afternoon but only about 88.  We did turn on the ac at dinner time so that I could sleep.  That worked until one of the alarm clocks woke me up at 3.  🐈‍⬛  I’m not sure about today’s meal suggestion so will wait for @dfish recipes and pictures.  Yesterday we went to Texas Roadhouse and the service and food were good.  I tried their mango margarita and it was almost like being on a BHB.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.fae8e45f5f2497989c0b16251c9a6e08.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 9

Good Sunday morning.   A bad tornado went through a town we pass through every time we go to and from the cabin and it hit a commercial area.  Sadly 2 people were killed.

We head north tomorrow for the summer so I am early and have a long day of gardening and house cleaning so we have a decent place when we return sometime in September.     

Prayers for all on Roy's care list, the people of Ukraine, Buffalo and Gaylord MI.   A pic of where we are heading to.   Hopefully I won't be dark all summer.  

Drone Porter 1.jpg

• Like 29

Good afternoon.

Nice church service today.

Father David got home late last night and took this morning's service but his retired vicar friend who did last week's service  did the sermon today so no sermon to post but back to normal next week.

We had a coffee at the beach after the church service.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I was never any good at playing musical instruments at school so never bought any.

It is good to have a Maritime day especially for all of us who love cruising.

Interesting quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

I said prayers 🙏 for all our friends on the care list at church today.

Wishing everyone a lovely day and happy cruising Roy @rafinmdand to everyone else currently sailing.

Graham.

16532175346038305431811540558362.jpg

• Like 27

Thanks for the Sunday Daily, Rich.

An interesting collection of days.  Enjoyed playing a number of musical instruments when I was younger but never bought one.  I’ll happily celebrate National Maritime Day.

Love the quote by Lee and the book. 👍 I’ll pass on the meal though - brown rice - ugh - I know, I know - it’s good for you but ugh.  Waiting to hear about the wine 😉 

AFB29AE2-0649-4A33-AC47-61E95FE3D527.jpeg.bbc39a95d82230445f4e23a8bbcb257d.jpeg

Looks like another rainy day here - but, at least it will be warmer than yesterday.  It was so damp that the weather felt much colder than it was and it was too much for me - so I was forced to come inside and work 😞   I definitely needed some wine to warm up & reward myself for lugging the wet/vac vacuum upstairs to clean the fireplace. 😉 

4383A67F-31AD-4E2D-A686-AF2777B3BF78.jpeg.926c88c07b21590acb0f5dfe05edfa31.jpeg

A bit busy yesterday with a complication on one of our tours for our upcoming cruise.  The organizer (who replaced the other organizer who cancelled) is cancelling their cruise so, the end result is that the group is moving to my tour so now I have 6 vans as opposed to my original 5 😱 I’m reminding myself:

6532D924-EE86-463E-B1BB-B751AD7446CC.jpeg.f2c66d33b81039b382fa21980c929ba1.jpeg

@Cruzin Terrisorry you are feeling so unwell.  Take care of yourself and rest until the fatigue dissipates, please.  Best wishes for your husband’s surgery.

@StLouisCruisersSadie is absolutely adorable and tugs at my heart strings ♥️ 

A bit angry at an acquaintance yesterday who gave me her condolences and then said “things happen for a reason”. WTH?    I have a feeling I won’t be hearing from her for a while after my reply to her.   I think she knew I was angry - not wine-gry.

5DE9383F-6A50-422A-86EE-5B328FA22EB7.jpeg.2bb8b3bd6a246c7d887fe891b2ab0756.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

15D3E932-4F39-4825-BE7B-6B088D446A85.jpeg.80bcaeb46ce012aeb52f2cc1ef77603f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 34
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

An interesting collection of days.  Enjoyed playing a number of musical instruments when I was younger but never bought one.  I’ll happily celebrate National Maritime Day.

Love the quote by Lee and the book. 👍 I’ll pass on the meal though - brown rice - ugh - I know, I know - it’s good for you but ugh.  Waiting to hear about the wine 😉 

AFB29AE2-0649-4A33-AC47-61E95FE3D527.jpeg.bbc39a95d82230445f4e23a8bbcb257d.jpeg

Looks like another rainy day here - but, at least it will be warmer than yesterday.  It was so damp that the weather felt much colder than it was and it was too much for me - so I was forced to come inside and work 😞   I definitely needed some wine to warm up & reward myself for lugging the wet/vac vacuum upstairs to clean the fireplace. 😉 

4383A67F-31AD-4E2D-A686-AF2777B3BF78.jpeg.926c88c07b21590acb0f5dfe05edfa31.jpeg

A bit busy yesterday with a complication on one of our tours for our upcoming cruise.  The organizer (who replaced the other organizer who cancelled) is cancelling their cruise so, the end result is that the group is moving to my tour so now I have 6 vans as opposed to my original 5 😱 I’m reminding myself:

6532D924-EE86-463E-B1BB-B751AD7446CC.jpeg.f2c66d33b81039b382fa21980c929ba1.jpeg

@Cruzin Terrisorry you are feeling so unwell.  Take care of yourself and rest until the fatigue dissipates, please.  Best wishes for your husband’s surgery.

A bit angry at an acquaintance yesterday who gave me her condolences and then said “things happen for a reason”. WTH?    I have a feeling I won’t be hearing from her for a while after my reply to her.   I think she knew I was angry - not wine-gry.

5DE9383F-6A50-422A-86EE-5B328FA22EB7.jpeg.2bb8b3bd6a246c7d887fe891b2ab0756.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

15D3E932-4F39-4825-BE7B-6B088D446A85.jpeg.80bcaeb46ce012aeb52f2cc1ef77603f.jpeg

Wow that was heartless of your former acquaintance.

Fortunately everyone on here care for you and only say nice words.

I love your meme's every day.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A cloudy start to the day. Another whopper storm to my South last night. The deer were active last night and are already up and foraging already. 

Happy sailing Roy! Yell if you want help with our lists. I hesitate to offer, because I would hate to miss something. Morning Dailyites. Early gym visit. Then Aldi. My gutter seam is going to be fixed today. Perfect timing for the start of our rainy season. 

D82B817E-C3B9-4D5B-98C9-DA3C52FD1BE8.jpeg.77e2f83322f70bc0f787c9f8b16efe4b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine des Bosquets 2018 La Colline (Gigondas)

Every released vintage of this lovely-sounding wine has superb ratings. And though it is outside of my budget, it is not as expensive as I thought it would. Several online distributors with prices starting at $69.95.

Winemaker Notes

A deep garnet color in appearance. A first fresh on the nose, then more ripe, on red fruits such as morello cherry and redcurrant and floral aromas. A stretched, airy palate with fine tannins. Infinite length.

JD97 Jeb Dunnuck

Coming from a tiny 1.5-hectare portion of clay and limestone soils and all old vine Grenache, the 2018 Gigondas La Colline is another gorgeous wine from this estate that strikes a balance between richness and elegance. More ruby-hued (these wines are never the deepest hued in Gigondas) and with a killer perfume of kirsch liqueur, framboise, herbes de Provence, chocolate, roasted herbs, and chalky minerality, it hits the palate with full-bodied richness, ultra-fine tannins, no hard edges, and a gorgeous, heady finish. This cuvée is almost always the more powerful and concentrated in the lineup, yet in 2018 it shows the more elegant, seamless style of the vintage beautifully. It’s going to benefit from a year or two of bottle age and drink fabulously well for a decade.

WE96 Wine Enthusiast

Salty, chalky mineral notes lend a cutting edge to sun-drenched black-cherry and plum flavors in this wine. Sourced from 50-year-old vines planted in a high-altitude vineyard abutting the Dentelles de Montmirail, it’s decadently rich and concentrated but scintillating and fresh. Still approaching peak, it should drink beautifully from 2022 and improve well through 2030. Cellar Selection. 

RP95 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The exquisitely perfumed and intricately detailed 2018 Gigondas La Colline—100% Grenache from the highest part of the estate and limestone soils—is one of those wines I'd be happy to sit and smell all night. Revealing Campari-like spice complexity against a backdrop of cherries and raspberries, it's full-bodied yet never seems heavy or overdone, with a seductive, silky feel on the palate and a lingering, licorice-laced finish.

WS94 Wine Spectator

This shows a perfumy side, with silky-edged plum and black currant puree flavors swirling through with black tea and incense hints, ending with a long, focused and understated finish. A beguiling example of Gigondas.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'm celebrating Maritime day live and in person, will pass on both buying an instrument and Goth Day.  I like the Harper Lee quote. I've been to Fiji several times but I don't think today's port.  Wondering about the meal suggestion, if there might be something missing after "whip".  My alternative is (kids) Fruit Salad, potato croquette, prime rib, and Key Lime pie as served on Adventure OTS, May 29, 2022.  Photo will come when I get more organized.

@Lady Hudsonthe Bermuda Travel Authority is a pain but doable.  It was kind of uneventful but seems to come at the last minute and I think could work better for you as you will be home the night before and could print it out when it finally does come.  I won't be posting a lot here on my cruise due to being very busy (and not very good internet) but here's my thread from the Royal forum:

Today’s care list:

msmayor DH with Covid
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Tiogacruiser losing second mom
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother in hospital with pneumonia

Cruzin Terri DH facing cancer surgery
From the rotation:
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17
Ukraine
St. Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway forRowsby
Great River Cruise for NextOne
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
Lady Hudson SIL out of hospital
New furbaby for StLouisCruisers family
StLouisSal family visit
Welcome home Sea Viewer and Lady Hudson
6 days for Dismomx5 and lazey1 (Koningsdam 5/28 to 6/4)
4 days for StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess 5/26 to 6/29)
Bon Voyage Atexsix( Discovery Princess May 22-29)
Bon Voyage kochleffel( NCL Jade May 22-29)
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'm celebrating Maritime day live and in person, will pass on both buying an instrument and Goth Day.  I like the Harper Lee quote. I've been to Fiji several times but I don't think today's port.  Wondering about the meal suggestion, if there might be something missing after "whip".  My alternative is (kids) Fruit Salad, potato croquette, prime rib, and Key Lime pie as served on Adventure OTS, May 29, 2022.  Photo will come when I get more organized.

@Lady Hudsonthe Bermuda Travel Authority is a pain but doable.  It was kind of uneventful but seems to come at the last minute and I think could work better for you as you will be home the night before and could print it out when it finally does come.  I won't be posting a lot here on my cruise due to being very busy (and not very good internet) but here's my thread from the Royal forum:

Today’s care list:

msmayor DH with Covid
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Tiogacruiser losing second mom
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother in hospital with pneumonia

Cruzin Terri DH facing cancer surgery
From the rotation:
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17
Ukraine
St. Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway forRowsby
Great River Cruise for NextOne
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
Lady Hudson SIL out of hospital
New furbaby for StLouisCruisers family
StLouisSal family visit
Welcome home Sea Viewer and Lady Hudson
6 days for Dismomx5 and lazey1 (Koningsdam 5/28 to 6/4)
4 days for StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess 5/26 to 6/29)
Bon Voyage Atexsix( Discovery Princess May 22-29)
Bon Voyage kochleffel( NCL Jade May 22-29)
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy especially when you are on a cruise.

I and everyone else I'm sure are wishing you have an amazing cruise.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for daily!  My DH is scheduled for outpatient surgery on Tuesday.  

Sending our very best wishes for a successful outpatient surgery on Tuesday for your husband.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday Morning Dailyites!  I have had an awful work week, where nothing was right,  I broke the mailbox which now needs to be replaced ,  and found out that I really should watch out for what I pray for, as Dayton management is not someone I want to be associated with, so last night I went to bed EARLY and today I woke up with a head ache.  But F1 is on today, so maybe I can snap out of it...LOL.

I love the quote, as I loved the book, but I am one of those people who think she didn't write it, but her buddy Truman Capote did.  Only because her second book was terrible!  Just a theory.

I have 4 guitars, three harmonicas, a dulcimer and several other instruments around the house, I will hold off on buying anything new, until I get back to actually playing something.  There is room however for a kazoo.

I am sorry for all the bad weather the north has had, but I really could use some rain.  Send it this way please.  along with some colder temps.  We turned the air on, set it for 78 and were freezing.  Upped it to 80 and we were still freezing.  Maybe we should set it at 82, and just leave the fans going.  The maintenance man we have a contract with , will be here on the 14th of June to work on the air conditioner and replace the filter.

@Cat in my lap I hope your DH's surgery goes well, and has the results you both want.

Have a great day!

1129834018_small.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, kazu said:

Some folk have no clue what their words sound like. Someone needs to invent a machine on which one can test what they plan to say.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Roy for the Cares and Cheers list.  Thanks for adding DH and me to it.

I woke up early but really not doing too well.   Just here.

It’s going to rain today and we need it.  We received a message from the Water Authority here to limit our irrigation schedules because of overload on the system.

Yesterday was a particularly bad day for me.  The only meal i had was breakfast.  I will try better today.

The six weeks in Europe seems like a dream at this point.  Almost like it never happened.

We have canceled our European cruise for next year and replaced it with a New England Canada cruise instead. 

Prayers for everyone on the cares list and cheers for everyone on the celebration list, especially if you are cruising.  Remember to stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone!

It is a bit cooler today which is ok by me.  I'm hoping to get out early and dodge some raindrops to get my walk in.  I'll be happy tomorrow when my gym reopens from the annual maintenance shut down.  I couldn't get a pool lane for tomorrow, but I do have one for Tuesday.  Tomorrow I can use the weight machines.  It is good to do different types of exercise and the weight machines help maintain muscle as we age.  

Today's meal is a pass for me due to the heavy carb load.  I know it is brown rice, but it is rice, just the same.  @rafinmd missing was whipped ricotta.  I only found one recipe that really fit the title so I filled out the choices today with vegetarian brown rice salads in general.   Here is the one that meets all the criteria:  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vegetarian-brown-rice-salad-with-parsnips-and-whipped-ricotta

1507282421_vegbrownricesaladwithparsnipsandwhippedricotta.jpg.72a418051382b8fed1456018d898b089.jpg

After that come the imposters.  Here is a Southern Brown Rice Salad that is chock full of vegetables.  https://successrice.com/recipes/southern-brown-rice-salad/

994667028_vegbrownricesalad2.thumb.jpg.07c4633a2ac1b20d93676296c5bd625e.jpg

Here's one with an Asian twist to it:  https://www.thespruceeats.com/cold-asian-rice-salad-with-veggies-3377789

1241720645_vegbrownricesalad3.jpg.1b297e0ce59da3d8d8a8b2574fbe4a4d.jpg

Who can resist a honey lemon dressing?   https://themom100.com/recipe/vegetable-brown-rice-salad-with-honey-lemon-dressing/

1988587940_vegbrownricesalad4.thumb.jpg.91130a90f95eee125ccfd71da7cf5788.jpg

And here's one that has a Mediterranean flair to it.  https://www.daisybeet.com/mediterranean-brown-rice-salad-vegan-gluten-free/

2102367711_vegbrownricesalad5.thumb.jpg.98e25c6210e3fcaeedc42d71ec7facea.jpg

We have a little something for everyone.  I can see this more as a side dish than an entree, but the good thing is that everyone can choose for themselves.   

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, those impacted by dangerous storms, and our Daily family members facing challenges.  Safe travels to @ottahand7 and prayers for a successful surgery for @Cat in my lap's  DH.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing everyone a good day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, I am sorry you had to have that happen to you. Something similar happened to us when Jim’s brother passed away.  I made a phone call to someone I considered a good friend.  When I did not hear from her, I called a second time.  She said, “I answered you on facebook, go look there”. That was our last communication. This is after I sent flowers when both her parents died.  Some people have short memories.

Go figure!

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Jacqui, I am sorry you had to have that happen to you. Something similar happened to us when Jim’s brother passed away.  I made a phone call to someone I considered a good friend.  When I did not hear from her, I called a second time.  She said, “I answered you on facebook, go look there”. That was our last communication. This is after I sent flowers when both her parents died.  Some people have short memories.

Go figure!

Terri

I think many of us have former friends who have said things like that to us.  I have a friend who regularly hit me with verbal bombs.  I excused most of them because she is naturally socially awkward.  But now she's not speaking to me because I told her to relax and things would work out when it came to getting the vaccine.  She was beside herself because she couldn't get an appointment for her husband, so I did some searching, found one, and she went off on me because it wasn't close enough.  It was a 20 minute drive.  That's when I told her to relax.  She is done with me because of my insensitivity.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for daily!  My DH is scheduled for outpatient surgery on Tuesday.  

Best wishes for a successful procedure for him 🙏 

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

YAY 👏. Thanks for the link to your LIVE thread.  That will certainly help brighten up my days 👍 

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think many of us have former friends who have said things like that to us.  I have a friend who regularly hit me with verbal bombs.  I excused most of them because she is naturally socially awkward.  But now she's not speaking to me because I told her to relax and things would work out when it came to getting the vaccine.  She was beside herself because she couldn't get an appointment for her husband, so I did some searching, found one, and she went off on me because it wasn't close enough.  It was a 20 minute drive.  That's when I told her to relax.  She is done with me because of my insensitivity.  

Umm - it sounds like she is selfish and self centred - not that you are insensitive at all - so kind of you to help her like that and if she doesn’t have the brains to realize it, then she is not worthy of your friendship IMO.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a warm and muggy NY. I don't  think I ever understood  Goth's but I will salute the other days.The quote a d the recipes look interesting but we have decided on grilling vegetables and shrimp on skewers.I just hope the expected thunderstorms  wear off.

@kazu,Jacqui  I am so sorry  you had to hear that from an acquaintance. I think people don't  know what to say to a bereaved person and all sorts of stock phrases slip out.I still remember  someone saying the same thing to me after my mom and brother died within weeks of each other.It still makes me angry!

We have had some tough days here and hope this weather breaks soon.I am grateful for power and AC!

• Like 26

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach

Not musical so no instruments for me. Dont like Goth. Will celebrate Maritime Day. Living on the coast and seeing all sorts of ships daily, it is something to celebrate.

Never been to todays port, maybe someday. I have a lot of cruising to catch up on.  We like so many others had several trips planned and then cancelled. Now we have to try and make up for the lost time.

Busy day here today. Beach is already filling up for the races.  We have some friends coming over to watch . We will throw some things on the grill. It will be fun.  

@kazu I cant imagine why that person would say something like that. Some people just need to think before they open their mouths. You are loved by all of us.

@rafinmd Enjoy your trip.  Wish I was going!

I have heard of so many people that have cruises booked over the next few months. It is wonderful to see and hope that things are returning to "normal"!   And it is really nice to talk of something other than covid!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 26