Vancouver or Seattle

PatricF

First consideration should that Seattle is about 100 miles further from Alaska than Vancouver, and the Seattle ships must stop in a Canadian port for a few hours. Both these facts reduce your time in Alaska.

As previously noted, the Seattle ships head West of Vancouver Island, so spend many hours cruising the Pacific Ocean rather than the scenic Inside Passage. When in the Pacific Ocean, the Seattle ships are also susceptible to heavy weather, as we had a severe storm last week.

• Like 1

Logistically, sailing from Seattle is easier for folks living in the US.  No passport needed (a gov't issued birth certificate & Photo ID would be the minimum).  Flights are less expensive and more frequent.

That said, sailing the inside passage  between Vancouver Island and the Canadian Mainland is stunning.  Both Seattle and Vancouver are beautiful cities, but I would describe Vancouver as a world class city.

Do be aware that most folks will sail to Alaska more than once.  So many people think it is a 'one and done' bucket list trip, but they find the beauty, and the ease of travel such that they return.  Hopefully, you will find yourself in the same category!

You can't go wrong with either choice

• Like 4

Vancouver round trips generally have better itineraries but a big consideration right now is that if you fly in and out of Vancouver you have to test negative for COVID before flying back to US. We just did this for our cruise and fortunately did not text positive for COVID until we were safely home. But it was stressful! 

if you do choose Vancouver, I would still fly in and out of Seattle. It’s a longer transfer but you won’t have to test before flying home. 

• Like 2

I just completed my 3rd cruise to Alaska (2 one-way between Vancouver & Alaska and the most recent Roundtrip from Seattle) and agree with others that sailing from Vancouver is a better option. In addition to the first and much of the last day sailing in the Pacific with very little scenery (and possibly rough seas) on the roundtrip from Seattle, you usually have shorter port times at most of the ports. 

That being said, the current Covid protocols, airfare & hotel costs, available flights, etc. all have to be factored into the decision more than in the past. Whatever you choose, you will be hooked and want to return.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

That being said, the current Covid protocols, airfare & hotel costs, available flights, etc. all have to be factored into the decision more than in the past. Whatever you choose, you will be hooked and want to return.

Agreed; that's the reason I switched to the Seattle roundtrip itinerary from my original Vancouver to Whittier one-way. Once the restrictions end, we'll come back.

Edited by strickerj
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

f you do choose Vancouver, I would still fly in and out of Seattle. It’s a longer transfer but you won’t have to test before flying home. 

There is another option.  Book the roundtrip from Vancouver.  Bring the Covid tests that the government gave you on the cruise and some of those proctored ones. Test within 24 hours of your flight home with Biden's tests.  For those that test negative, do a proctored one and fly home.  For those that test positive, call your airline and change it to a flight from SEA.  Catch the same bus that HAL is putting you on to Seattle.  It might cost more for the positive result, but cheaper than quarantining.

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, urbanhawk said:

My last cruise to Alaska was nearly 8 years ago. It started in Seattle and ended in Vancouver. (It was with Carnival). It seems this itinerary is no longer available? When did this change?  

That is a rare routing...usually only once or twice a season. To reposition for one reason or another.

• Like 1

I just sailed Anchorage to Vancouver and disembarked last week. If you are sailing this summer and flying,  I would for sure recommend Seattle. Disembarkation in YVR was a mess last week for those who did not walk off and add to that the the stress and  complications of Covid testing to fly back to the US.  If you are planning for next year (when perhaps some of the Covid restrictions are behind us),  Vancouver is a lovely city so if you choose to sail there consider spending a few extra days. We enjoyed 3 days post cruise in 2018. 

I agree with Vancouver- the southern part of the inner passage is really quite beautiful,  but also wonder if the RT is set in stone? The concern over needing to be tested when returning home would be obviated if you sailed Vancouver to Alaska and flew home from there. No testing necessary. Another advantage is more time in Alaska, less time retracing your steps.