HAL Just implemented masks again on Rotterdam

gordylad

We are on the Rotterdam now. Masks are required indoors but no one is enforcing it. There have been several complaints made with no response. There are covid cabins on both deck 4 and deck 5. We can only use the aft elevators to get to our cabin on 4.

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:00 PM, Kamfish642 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but masks do not appear to be making any difference.

If that is ever proven, wearing them will help us to be aware of: a.o. handwashing, distance, coughing in the elbow.  Just take care of each other and we all will have happy holidays. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 8:46 PM, albingirl said:

I know alot of people who don't believe in masks, either, and for that matter vaccines.  I guess they figure that masks and vaccines don't work but all I know is that I am alive and well, and some of them aren't.

I fully agree!

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 12:00 PM, Kamfish642 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but masks do not appear to be making any difference.

It is people do not wear the correct masks. HAL is providing KN95 and they are the ones to be worn. Also, people do not wear their masks properly, wearing a mask on the chin, only on your mouth (nose not covered) does not help at all.  Masks do help, having something to stop germs is better than spiling them in the air. If you sneeze without a mask you blow out germs all over. A mask stops a lot of these germs and a good masks would stop most of it... IMO, most people get contaminated at meals,  when  they remove masks. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 9:37 AM, macaroni said:

Many passengers need to be negative to get home….if you are from a European country you don’t need one..it’s easy to say that masking is not necessary if you don’t have to worry about flying home.

And more people have to be negative to continue on a B2B cruise, if not their vacation is ended. Some people just do not understand the consequences of their 'non wearing' the mask. I agree with you completely. It is easy to say : I do not care when you do not have to fly home but not the case for those who choose stay on the ship and continue your vacation.   

We are not happy that HAL implemented a mask mandate for indoors but then says they won’t do anything extra to enforce it. They are the ones who changed their policy for this cruise, apparently because of high covid numbers, so they should follow thru and enforce it.  Very disappointed with them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, happyglobetrotter said:

And more people have to be negative to continue on a B2B cruise, if not their vacation is ended. Some people just do not understand the consequences of their 'non wearing' the mask. I agree with you completely. It is easy to say : I do not care when you do not have to fly home but not the case for those who choose stay on the ship and continue your vacation.   

Let me guess this straight.  Folks want people to mask up, and for HAL to enforce masking...just so their vacations don't get ruined.  Mmkay.

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

Let me guess this straight.  Folks want people to mask up, and for HAL to enforce masking...just so their vacations don't get ruined.  Mmkay.

Just so they don't get sick. Or bring germs to others. It's really an easy concept to grasp. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Just so they don't get sick. Or bring germs to others. It's really an easy concept to grasp. 

I'm merely quoting your friends.  They implicitly said they have B2Bs and flights to worry about. Which proves that they are more worried about testing positive (and thus ruining their vacation) than they are about the health consequences of Covid.  It's really an easy concept to grasp.

Edited by PACD_JG
add

Which proves that they are more worried about testing positive (and thus ruining their vacation) than they are about the health consequences of Covid.  It's really an easy concept to grasp.

Edited by PACD_JG
Delete

23 hours ago, macaroni said:

We are on the Rotterdam now. Masks are required indoors but no one is enforcing it. There have been several complaints made with no response. There are covid cabins on both deck 4 and deck 5. We can only use the aft elevators to get to our cabin on 4.

I’m sure that’s incredibly frustrating.
Are they keeping the isolation/quarantine area sealed off? There were reports a few weeks back about doors being left open and lists of positive passengers posted where others could see (was supposed to be for crew to see for service, but something went amiss).

Thanks for sharing, hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by syesmar

13 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Which proves that they are more worried about testing positive (and thus ruining their vacation) than they are about the health consequences of Covid.  It's really an easy concept to grasp.

For myself, yes I am worried about testing positive ruining my vacation. I paid for a vacation. I didn't pay for a stay in an isolation unit. My concern for this is just like if I paid for a meal at a restaurant and all I received was the menu or if I went to the theater and all I received was a program. I want to enjoy what I paid for or what would be the point.

I will wear and have worn everyday, since they were made available to consumers, an N95. With the current covid situation, it is not enough to keep me from getting sick on a cruise ship because most people don't care whether covid infection is as low as possible on the ship. Most people aren't willing to do what it takes to keep covid as low as possible, nor do they really care for the crew members they were so worried about in 2020.

The argument that Covid is up on cruise ships because it's up off the ship is ridiculous. The reason Covid is up everywhere, including on the cruise ships, is because there are dang few of us trying to keep Covid down.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, macaroni said:

We are not happy that HAL implemented a mask mandate for indoors but then says they won’t do anything extra to enforce it. They are the ones who changed their policy for this cruise, apparently because of high covid numbers, so they should follow thru and enforce it.  Very disappointed with them.

Yes. The officers on the ship, and the company's management are in charge. Ultimately, they are responsible for our health and safety. Not a surprise that the stock prices of cruise companies are still in the toilet; while land travel is booming.

3 minutes ago, seaoma said:

For myself, yes I am worried about testing positive ruining my vacation.

2 hours ago, happyglobetrotter said:

Yepppp

Thanks for being honest.  But to expect others to conform for your morale...that's too much of an ask.  Life is all about risk/reward, and it seems in your cases the risk isn't worth it.

1 minute ago, PACD_JG said:

Thanks for being honest.  But to expect others to conform for your morale...that's too much of an ask.  Life is all about risk/reward, and it seems in your cases the risk isn't worth it.

But can't it be both? Can't someone be worried about the health consequences of covid and still be worried about their testing positive?

Have you been on a cruise since the shutdown?

I'll be the judge of my risk/reward situation, thank you. But asking people in the middle of a pandemic to take precautions, especially on a ship at sea, possibly in a foreign country, isn't asking too much from anyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Have you been on a cruise since the shutdown?

I'll be the judge of my risk/reward situation, thank you. But asking people in the middle of a pandemic to take precautions, especially on a ship at sea, possibly in a foreign country, isn't asking too much from anyone.

I went to London for 8 nights in late March/early April.  Not exactly sure what that has to do with anything, but you asked.  Did I have to test to go to the UK - no.  Did I have to test to go back to the US - yes.  Did I wear a mask in the UK - took it off at Heathrow (since the UK doesn't have a mask mandate) and didn't put one back on until I boarded the plane home.  What was my risk tolerance - I obviously went and obviously didn't moan about others not wearing a mask to protect my vacation.

EDIT - oh, you might want to stay far away from the UK - I'd say only 1 in 10 wore a mask - even on very crowded public transportation.

Edited by PACD_JG
add
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

I went to London for 8 nights in late March/early April.  Not exactly sure what that has to do with anything, but you asked.  Did I have to test to go to the UK - no.  Did I have to test to go back to the US - yes.  Did I wear a mask in the UK - took it off at Heathrow (since the UK doesn't have a mask mandate) and didn't put one back on until I boarded the plane home.  What was my risk tolerance - I obviously went and obviously didn't moan about others not wearing a mask to protect my vacation.

So your advice is people that don't care about covid can go out in the world and have a life and those people that are risk averse, no matter what the reason, are just supposed to stay home so that you can enjoy your vacation. Got it.

Don't worry about where I choose to travel. I use my common sense.

Edited by seaoma
respond to edit made on quote
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, seaoma said:

So your advice is people that don't care about covid can go out in the world and have a life and those people that are risk averse, no matter what the reason, are just supposed to stay home so that you can enjoy your vacation. Got it.

And your advice is that those who aren't risk adverse should live with restrictions in order to accommodate the nervous. Got it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

And your advice is that those who aren't risk adverse should live with restrictions in order to accommodate the nervous. Got it.

My advice is for people who are temporarily on a vacation, live with restrictions (horrendous ones like wearing a mask) so all sorts of people can have a vacation, just like the ones that aren't risk averse, ESPECIALLY, when the place you vacation asks you to.

But, I m really beginning to understand more and more. You don't want to vacation with restrictions because it doesn't matter if people get sick, it doesn't matter if people die, it doesn't matter if there aren't enough pilots to fly some planes, it doesn't matter if there aren't enough people to crew the ship.

Nothing and nobody else matters but the ones that don't want to do anything. Got it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Yes, of course.  No argument there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd explain it, but you're just not interested in any other viewpoint other than the one from your navel.

• Like 2

I agree. I think smoking should be allowed everywhere on the ship!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, happyglobetrotter said:

It is people do not wear the correct masks. HAL is providing KN95 and they are the ones to be worn. Also, people do not wear their masks properly, wearing a mask on the chin, only on your mouth (nose not covered) does not help at all.  Masks do help, having something to stop germs is better than spiling them in the air. If you sneeze without a mask you blow out germs all over. A mask stops a lot of these germs and a good masks would stop most of it... IMO, most people get contaminated at meals,  when  they remove masks. 

Also at entertainment venues when drinking and singing, etc.