Carnival Corp In Talks To Sell Seabourn

4 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

You'll be pleased to know that I am proposing to the board that the Retreat should become a tattoo and piercing parlour as I know that you have a keen interest in both.

Don't encourage him as some of us have to sail with him next year 😅

Virgin Cruises may have a patent on onboard tattoo parlours?

Just now, frantic36 said:

Don't encourage him as some of us have to sail with him next year 😅

Virgin Cruises may have a patent on onboard tattoo parlours?

Yes Julie,Virgin is a more rock and roll style line.

No dress code either but leather biker jackets are popular for more formal dinners.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

Yes Julie,Virgin is a more rock and roll style line.

No dress code either but leather biker jackets are popular for more formal dinners.

I have a leather bomber jacket does that count? If so I am all set if I decide to test them out. Apparently Scarlett Lady is being based here for our Summer.

Prices have gone way up.  Based on our last experience on the Ovation in March, not worth the increase or even what we paid since we booked a long time ago.  To be fair we have several friends who have sailed subsequently and had the great former Seabourn experience so we are looking forward to our next cruise.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, saminina said:

It's a done deal with Saudis.

I had heard that on Facebook yesterday--but have been unable to find any confirmation of that online.  Do you know of an article announcing this?

i believe it.  Part of me would be thankful if they bought it and cleaned house with the current executives who are shambolic.  The shoreside staff are hopeless and based on talking with friends who just came off a cruise the shipboard staff can not do anything without asking permission from corporate.  I saw a lot of lapses on my last cruise with them in 2021 and chalked it up to post covid.  I have sailed with other cruiselines since then and have not seen these lapses on other lines.

Hey, maybe the Saudis will get rid of the retreat and assign the staff to breakfast and lunch in the MDR so guests can avoid the Colonade scrum.

Another part of me does not want to support Seabourn as it will be owned by a country (or state entity) whose political stance is controversial to say the least.  I see cruiselines are now visiting Saudi Arabia but I will not be on those itineraries.  Not to mention IIRC the liquor has to be taken out of your suites when in Saudi waters/territory.  I could be wrong on this though as I may have been drinking when I read that and don’t really remember LOL.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

if it truly was a not-yet-announced done deal that leaked, given that Carnival is publicly traded, that’s a criminal offense under SEC rules. 

Exactly right. So if the information is correct then this must be announced for all shareholders to be informed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, saminina said:

I do not know of an article announcing this.   It was message received from sources beyond this galaxy.  But you'll read about it when earth catches up.  That could take months.

This may well be happening, but is not a done deal yet.  Otherwise,  Carnival would have issued a Form 8-K and filed it with the SEC and that has not happened to this moment--6pm October 28th CST.  

The Securities and Exchange Commission's website (known as EDGAR) shows several Form 8-K (press release) filings since Sept. 30, and the headline is the issuance of another $2.03 billion of priority notes. There is no indication of Carnival selling its subsidiary Seabourn, or of Seabourn selling its ships, to anyone.

Here's the link so everyone can keep watch for themselves:  https://www.sec.gov/edgar/browse/?CIK=815097&owner=exclude

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, saminina said:

I do not know of an article announcing this.   It was message received from sources beyond this galaxy.  But you'll read about it when earth catches up.  That could take months.

Technically, there is a four day deadline for filing this information.  Often big corporations do not wait for  the full four days because the news gets out and they want to get ahead of it.  The trigger is "the registrant has entered into a material definitive agreement not made in the ordinary course of business."  

It is possible that the Saudis bought the notes--but that is not the same thing as buying the cruise line.  It's a loan.  And, we don't know if they were  buyer of the notes.  That is private information.  That would make them a lender, not a buyer. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Thanks 4

Well the word I was given was the deal was off, but that was about six weeks ago.  It was a SB insider that many of us know and like on these boards. 

Whatever the case, it might be best if Seabourn can get out from under the umbrella of Holland America.  I for one don't care if the Saudis purchase Seabourn if it means an improvement to the current offerings.  Something needs to change but I doubt it will can happen while Carnival is still the owner.

7 hours ago, texanaust said:

Well the word I was given was the deal was off, but that was about six weeks ago.  It was a SB insider that many of us know and like on these boards. 

Whatever the case, it might be best if Seabourn can get out from under the umbrella of Holland America.  I for one don't care if the Saudis purchase Seabourn if it means an improvement to the current offerings.  Something needs to change but I doubt it will can happen while Carnival is still the owner.

I heard that Seabourn was off the market and that was in August.

When Carnival appointed staffer  Josh Leibovitz to be President it was tantamount to raising a "for Sale" flag on the Seabourn masthead. 

Covid intervened but since resumption there has been a flurry of initiatives to try to improve profitability to make it more attractive. This has been reflected on this board by the constant complaints about lower standards on board and a flurry of ill-considered revenue raising ideas emanating from Seattle.

I have no inside knowledge as the status of the Saudi interest, but you can be pretty sure that flag is still flying up there by the funnel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saminina said:

That would be the worse possible scenario.   Your "I love Seabourn " club is losing members monthly.

Yes it might be.

I'm not bothered who owns Seabourn as they wouldn't be here now without Carnivals money.Silversea also with RCCL Crystal gone and to return with two old ships and a different owner. 

All of these small cruise lines tend to be owned by a larger fish.

As long as the quality is there and I have the choice of lines to sail then that's fine by me.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, nancygp said:

make it two new members…😁😁

nancy

I'm with you on this.  I don't see the point in criticizing those who are having a great time onboard a Seabourn ship. We all know that there are challenges--and those challenges have been explained for all to read. Why not just accept reports both good and bad and make your own analysis without bashing those who have one perspective or another?  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 3:50 PM, saminina said:

Honestly, I'm currently on a SB ship and it is the most disappointing cruise ever taken with this company.   

We just completed a cruise on Seabourn and it was the best cruise we've ever taken.  What made your Seabourn cruise disappointing?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travelordie said:

We just completed a cruise on Seabourn and it was the best cruise we've ever taken.  What made your Seabourn cruise disappointing?

Saminina is known for being negative about cruises on Seabourn when posting on CC...and yet they still sail on them.

• Like 1