Off Quantum 5/23 Double Whammy Covid and Noro

12 minutes ago, LaCal said:

update: More reports coming in from people who tested negative with the at home tests once off the ship but felt so crappy they went and had a PCR test done which came back positive 

Others are still waiting for PCR reports 

You can test positive on the PCR test without an active case, so rapid antigen can be neg because you aren't actively infected/have enough virus shed.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

You can test positive on the PCR test without an active case, so rapid antigen can be neg because you aren't actively infected/have enough virus shed.

True but the Big difference is they have Active Symptoms now but tested negative with a at home antigen test 

But after getting a PCR test are now showing positive 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LaCal said:

True but the Big difference is they have Active Symptoms now but tested negative with a at home antigen test 

But after getting a PCR test are now showing positive 

Thank you for continued posting of facts and gently making is us all realize the current realities in spite of pressure not to do so. 

CC is naturally frequented by folks who love to cruise.  And naturally their natural instincts are no different from a smoker when presented with lung cancer statistics.

Thanks for referring to that social media page.  Got lot of useful data points from there. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Thank you for continued posting of facts and gently making is us all realize the current realities in spite of pressure not to do so. 

CC is naturally frequented by folks who love to cruise.  And naturally their natural instincts are no different from a smoker when presented with lung cancer statistics.

Thanks for referring to that social media page.  Got lot of useful data points from there. 

No problem 👍🏻👍🏻

On 5/25/2022 at 9:55 PM, pcur said:

Yeah, I want to avoid COVID, too.  But, I like that I have a pretty good way to not make myself deliberately sick in other ways now, too.  That's why I like wearing masks and using hand sanitizer now.

That is my plan. 

I was at an event on Wednesday.  200 people in a lobby before going into a theater.  No masks. 

As my pre cruise covid test is Thursday.  I pulled out my mask and moved to a less crowded part of the lobby. 

Norovirus will be back, as it transmits the same way

• Like 2

Mrs Fan and I still wear our masks everywhere. Both have shots and single boost.  Going to get the second booster in the next 2 weeks.  Anyway, we were thinking about going on the Voyager out of Boston in October.  The stories that I am reading here give me pause.  People are so excited to get the masks off.  I just can't figure out why you would want to potentially ruin a cruise for yourself by getting sick. 

Also going on the Quantum to Alaska in June 2023 with my grown kids and their spouses.  Can't wait.  My hope is for BIG black Friday sales on drink packages and such. 

Edited by fsufancc
Added info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

Mrs Fan and I still wear our masks everywhere. Both have shots and single boost.  Going to get the second booster in the next 2 weeks.  Anyway, we were thinking about going on the Voyager out of Boston in October.  The stories that I am reading here give me pause.  People are so excited to get the masks off.  I just can't figure out why you would want to potentially ruin a cruise for yourself by getting sick. 

Masks are a choice and you choose to wear one, which is perfectly fine, but we choose not to which is also perfectly fine.  They aren't 100% foolproof either.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

That is my plan. 

I was at an event on Wednesday.  200 people in a lobby before going into a theater.  No masks. 

As my pre cruise covid test is Thursday.  I pulled out my mask and moved to a less crowded part of the lobby. 

Noro does not transmit the same way as Covid.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

That is my plan. 

It's weird, actually.  It's like mask mandates are lifted, and people act like it's all gone magically away.  The most recent variants are MORE infectious.  But, they aren't killing as many people.  My thinking is why would I want to DELIBERATLY make myself sick if I don't have to?  I just wear the mask when needed.  Simple, no drama, no nothing but take it off when the crowd thins out. 

Oh, and keep Bath and Body Works PocketPac hand sanitizer in strategic places to remind me to clean my hands:  the car, the kitchen, the desk drawer, etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hal2008 said:

I'm not resistant to the facts.  I just didn't want anything to do with that FB group when I saw the cruising ducks in there.  What an idiotic thing to do right now.  

9 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

BTW, DW and I tested again.  Both antigen and PCR tests came back positive.  So add 2 more + cases from this cruise.

Sorry to hear that  I tested positive 5 days after I got off the Harmony 5/15.  Had a sore throat on the Wed after but did not test positive until Friday.  Sadly still tested positive the following Friday so no Mariner for me today.  Feel better soon.  

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

BTW, DW and I tested again.  Both antigen and PCR tests came back positive.  So add 2 more + cases from this cruise.

Sorry to hear that 🙏🏻🙏🏻

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I'm not resistant to the facts.  I just didn't want anything to do with that FB group when I saw the cruising ducks in there.  What an idiotic thing to do right now.  

Am I the only one who is curious about the cruising ducks  ?

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I’ve never been a fan of the ducks, at any time. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

Am I the only one who is curious about the cruising ducks  ?

It’s little plastic ducks people hide all over the ship 

Once found you can keep it or hide them again 

It’s popular and both the kids and a lot of adults love it 

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

It would be perfectly fine if you don't infect anyone else. Hope that you will consider wearing a mask if symptoms present themselves?

Not that it's really any of your business, but I don't tend to go anywhere when I feel sick.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, topnole said:

A lot of folks getting Covid now are having Noro type symptoms.  

Really?  I have 4 family members and several friends who have had Covid in the last two weeks.  Every single one had mild cold symptoms, sore throat, low grade fever and cough.  Nothing else.

So Sorry for all those who are sick, getting sick or will end up sick.  ugh!!!  I'm still so fearful we wont sail in Aug  to Alaska because of Covid.  Been planing since 2019, if and when we get to step on the ship I'll be taking test with us. Such a good idea. I never would have thought about that till I read this post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Really?  I have 4 family members and several friends who have had Covid in the last two weeks.  Every single one had mild cold symptoms, sore throat, low grade fever and cough.  Nothing else.

Symptoms vary a lot with Covid.   But yeah, I know several that recently had it with those types of symptoms as well as what you described.  Stomach issues could definitely be Covid too.  

4 hours ago, BND said:

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Symptoms vary a lot with Covid.   But yeah, I know several that recently had it with those types of symptoms as well as what you described.  Stomach issues could definitely be Covid too.  

Yep. Depending on the study, anywhere from 10 - 30% of cases involve GI symptoms in some form (nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain etc.). So it's definitely not the majority of cases, but not super rare either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1