Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

36 minutes ago, cruisecrazy said:

Onboard Freedom now.

On the luggage transfer, have been told by several crew members that we have the option to roll our own luggage over to Conquest or they will transfer to new cabins. We plan on just carrying ours over ourselves. Staff have been told that this will be a lengthy dry dock in Freeport. Apparently the fire must have been in engine room and up. It is rumor among crew that ship will be towed to drydock and is unable to proceed on its own power. But keep in mind this is not official! But I will say that the same crew would not speculate before the official announcement about Conquest. Everything onboard is functioning  normally and crew has handled the situation very well ! I would give them an A+ for their efforts to keep everything as normal as possible. Very business like and professional during the call to Muster Stations. Now some of the passengers is another story but we wont go there. I was on deck by the funnel when the fire stared to become visible, and also  noticed 10 or so minutes before  that the Ship was belching a more than normal amount of black smoke. Just lucky we where pier side and not at sea! That is about it. Just about to head out to Jacks Shack and make the best of a extra couple of days in a beautiful Port. Good luck to everyone onboard with all  travel arrangements to get back home!

You are stuck at my favorite port! I am assuming the people most upset are the ones who needed to be home on Saturday.  Hopefully no one loses a job or anything.  

53 minutes ago, cruisecrazy said:

Onboard Freedom now.

On the luggage transfer, have been told by several crew members that we have the option to roll our own luggage over to Conquest or they will transfer to new cabins. We plan on just carrying ours over ourselves. Staff have been told that this will be a lengthy dry dock in Freeport. Apparently the fire must have been in engine room and up. It is rumor among crew that ship will be towed to drydock and is unable to proceed on its own power. But keep in mind this is not official! But I will say that the same crew would not speculate before the official announcement about Conquest. Everything onboard is functioning  normally and crew has handled the situation very well ! I would give them an A+ for their efforts to keep everything as normal as possible. Very business like and professional during the call to Muster Stations. Now some of the passengers is another story but we wont go there. I was on deck by the funnel when the fire stared to become visible, and also  noticed 10 or so minutes before  that the Ship was belching a more than normal amount of black smoke. Just lucky we where pier side and not at sea! That is about it. Just about to head out to Jacks Shack and make the best of a extra couple of days in a beautiful Port. Good luck to everyone onboard with all  travel arrangements to get back home!

Glad everyone is safe and doing well. I'm sure many are disappointed that this happened and the inconvenience of it all. Thank you for the positive update.

We sailed on Conquest in April, great ship! Glad they are able to come to your rescue!

We sail on Freedom in six weeks, hopefully! Time will tell. We will patiently wait for updates.

poor Carnival always getting bad news.

Wish the media will harp on two RCI ships hitting docks. 

The Radiance of the Seas in Stika, and Harmony of the Seas in Jamaica.

I mean come on news, other cruise lines have issues too.   Carnival will bounce back though.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, markp9114 said:

Oh man...Didn't book insurance for our flights or cruise, so now figuring out how to salvage this family vacation. Does anyone know how to search for cruises that are leaving this Saturday from Port Canaveral? 

*****.com

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The whole market is doing poorly with cruise stocks quite possibly doing the worst, and yet the most positive thing you can say is that other cruise stocks are also sinking?

Here you go, what cruise stocks are doing:

Cruise stocks lead S&P declines as cost increases, capacity concerns build | Seeking Alpha

Buying opportunity at a discount!

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

How so?

It turned out it was not more of a hassle since they are taking them back by another ship. However, if they had to fly there would be red tape and hoops to jump through before being given permission to enter the US by air.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

poor Carnival always getting bad news.

Wish the media will harp on two RCI ships hitting docks. 

The Radiance of the Seas in Stika, and Harmony of the Seas in Jamaica.

I mean come on news, other cruise lines have issues too.   Carnival will bounce back though.

I think when the general public sees or hears bad news about cruise ships, they consider the industry as a whole, not which cruise line any incident happened to.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Photos of what it now looks like...

Cheng reckons what burnt was fiberglass..

I hope they get to remove those two vertically-dangling bits,
before moving the ship to the Shop.

283238527_566616711552198_3004705644813047531_n.jpg

Freedom FIRE at Turks. 26 May 2022-3.jpeg

284362652_569752027907801_2484909563194162146_n.jpg

Freedom FIRE at Turks. 26 May 2022-7.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures. That is not a pretty sight. 😢

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, charliesdad63 said:

So I just booked Freedom for 6/2. Any chances I'm going? LOL

Banking on a cancellation and FCC ?  

That's what A LOT of people did when NCL was cancelling the Escape week after week. It worked out very well for some people. Assuming that they were ready/willing/able to sail should that come to pass.

Tom

13 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Banking on a cancellation and FCC ?  

That's what A LOT of people did when NCL was cancelling the Escape week after week. It worked out very well for some people. Assuming that they were ready/willing/able to sail should that come to pass.

Tom

Yes and no. If I go, I go. If I can't, I'll use the money later. Who knows. It could just be superficial and easily patched up. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JRG said:

@Chengpk you may be reading just a bit too much into the use of drydock vs wetdock,  I get the jist of what the author is saying....

....You just can't go in and pick up another smokestack (whale tail, funnel) from the shipyard,  the burned out sections need to be scrapped and the surfaces that are contaminated need to be scrubbed and re-painted and the section needs to be re-fabricated.     

In this environment with labor and resource shortages it will take months and it will be out of commission for some time.   That is going to be a big problem for the cruising pipeline and that is the big issue here.

image.thumb.png.69c7fdd8f92887f82d712146fdd65e23.png

Actually if you go to the Aliaga ship recycling facility in Turkey it looks like you could pick up at least one of the red fiberglass shells for the exhausts.

Edited by mm99999
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

They might give it a short back and sides and send her on the way again. It will be a flash back to the old Mardi Gras days !!!

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me that they cobble together something from aluminum as a temporary fix.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Badfinger said:

Wow...$1B debt at 10.5% interest.  That is $150M a year just to service that debt.  Reduced passenger load, higher fuel and food costs.  No pun, but lots of headwinds for a CCL investor.  Sure you get OBC...but that is not "free" money...you have to spend money, hundreds if not thousands, to get that OBC.  Will be an interesting couple years for the cruise lines.

The analyst missed the boat. It's $1B in unsecured debt to start paying off existing debt, some of which is at a higher interest rate, with earlier maturity. Carnival had already pledged most ships as collateral; it will be good to start getting them out of hock.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JRG said:

@Chengpk you may be reading just a bit too much into the use of drydock vs wetdock,  I get the jist of what the author is saying....

....You just can't go in and pick up another smokestack (whale tail, funnel) from the shipyard,  the burned out sections need to be scrapped and the surfaces that are contaminated need to be scrubbed and re-painted and the section needs to be re-fabricated.     

In this environment with labor and resource shortages it will take months and it will be out of commission for some time.   That is going to be a big problem for the cruising pipeline and that is the big issue here.

Gee, missed your post in my ignore setting.  Glad that you're here to give your expert opinion of maritime ship repair.

Now, considering that there is only one ship in the Grand Bahamas Shipyard right now, and that is a small container ship at a layberth, I don't think that labor shortages will be a problem.  Who says that they need to make a temporary repair look just like the old whale fin?  They can simply build an aluminum box around the exhausts until a new fin is fabricated.  And, I am perfectly aware of what is needed to repair fire damage on a ship.  You will notice that the damage stops abruptly where the fin joins the central funnel, so the steel there is not damaged.  Personally, I think this will be done in 4 weeks or less.  But, then, I don't have your years of maritime experience behind me.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2