Live from Pacific Explorer - 31st May - Australia is Cruising Again

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Don't know who said beers were $7 ? Just got the up date $9:25 pure blonde, VB can $8:50

😮

Screenshot_20220529-185752_YouTube.thumb.jpg.02c4a80999da55607f881b6d85976fcd.jpg

They probably were $7 before the shutdown, but that was over two years ago,  I have developed a liking for 4 Pines at my local restaurant, so nice to see it on the board. As with restaurant prices, I pay $10 schooner, so about the same price for a twisty on the ship.  VB cans are for Les's mate.

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to your posts as we are on our very first cruise in just under a month! I am a little bit surprised at the pricing as I was under the impression that food and alcohol are usually cheaper on a ship but it's good to know these things beforehand so we can manage our expectations.

I saw a bit of Vivid on my way home last week and it looks beautiful. Enjoy!

33 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

Looking forward to your posts as we are on our very first cruise in just under a month! I am a little bit surprised at the pricing as I was under the impression that food and alcohol are usually cheaper on a ship but it's good to know these things beforehand so we can manage our expectations.

Food is cheaper because you have paid for meals in your fare, but drinks are at restaurant prices. They have to make their profit somewhere. 😁 The ship has the normal expenses that a restaurant does (money outlaid on stock, cost of storage, wages etc.).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snoopkat said:

I agree previously to an extent. The ship is a cheaper economy than on land, and they pay very little tax on alcohol compared to on land. But yes, like any hotel, they need to make a profit and there is an element of charging what people are used to paying on land.

Food is in your fare, so you don't need to outlay anything, but Shell & Bones, Luke's, 400gradi are a step-up. I am not into paying extras for pizza & burgers, but Luke's dinner menu is worth the $50-60 and Shell & Bones is great value.

If you don't mind, I would like to have an idea of the cost of a bottle of any of the white wines listed on the board. The price of the cheapest one will give an indication because usually there are a few within a few dollars upwards. I am expecting that prices will have increased for bottles as well as for glasses of wine.☹️

2 hours ago, Snoopkat said:

On a cruise from Singapore to Sydney, Australia Day outside on the pool deck was announced.  A couple, who knew the host dancers, asked hadn't they met their budget.  That is where I learnt that there was a budget expected on alcohol sales.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you don't mind, I would like to have an idea of the cost of a bottle of any of the white wines listed on the board. The price of the cheapest one will give an indication because usually there are a few within a few dollars upwards. I am expecting that prices will have increased for bottles as well as for glasses of wine.☹️

I will at least get a pic of the MDR wine list

• Like 4

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

I will at least get a pic of the MDR wine list

Wonderful. thank you. Knowing the prices before the cruise will avoid the classic 'sticker shock'. I will have time to prepare my husband for the prices, rather than have him chuck a wobbly when we get to the dining room.😁

55 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

On a cruise from Singapore to Sydney, Australia Day outside on the pool deck was announced.  A couple, who knew the host dancers, asked hadn't they met their budget.  That is where I learnt that there was a budget expected on alcohol sales.  

A delicate balance between selling more drinks vs dearer pricing. If you put them up too much, people drink more water than wine.

• Like 1

The Pacific Explorer is scheduled to be in Brisbane on Thursday. The weather forecast is for a cold and windy day, but at least it should be totally fine.

I hope I can see the ship at the terminal. During the last two and a quarter years, I have missed seeing the big white ships sailing across Moreton Bay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Pacific Explorer is scheduled to be in Brisbane on Thursday. The weather forecast is for a cold and windy day, but at least it should be totally fine.

I hope I can see the ship at the terminal. During the last two and a quarter years, I have missed seeing the big white ships sailing across Moreton Bay.

Just what to expect for a winter cruise. I figure the winds might stir the ocean up a bit too.

We are now officially on the passenger list 😷

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Just what to expect for a winter cruise. I figure the winds might stir the ocean up a bit too.

We are now officially on the passenger list 😷

Does this mean you have tested NEGATIVE? Whoo hoo.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

I can't wait to start the party on Tuesday. I am slack so won't pack until Monday night. I counted the numbers of days between cruises for me - 822 to be exact (last one was Ovation in Feb 20).

Best part of sailaway for me will be the ships whistle going - how I have missed that sound.

Our last Cruise was Ovation in Feb 2020.

Sydney Harbour, Noumea and Mystery Island.

We are also both on the cruise and all good to go 🙂

So stressful doing the Rat, it was a long 15mins 

All packed with our winter gear, no way we are not going to be up on deck for sailaway

Cheers

Tanya

• Like 4

Awesome P&O app. Our boarding passes have now disappeared from the app, saying they will be available at 60 days. Will see how it shakes out. We have a Verfly boarding pass, but no bar code on that.

The weather is not so bad in Circular Quay, but a bit fresh out in the open. A handy view from our hotel, Pullman Quay Grand. Pity there isn't a ship in view, but Vivid will light up the night for us.

20220530_155747.thumb.jpg.107886da12c6f02f3f21f6f19732dcf2.jpg

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, stki said:

We are also both on the cruise and all good to go 🙂

So stressful doing the Rat, it was a long 15mins 

All packed with our winter gear, no way we are not going to be up on deck for sailaway

Cheers

Tanya

Have a fantastic time. We will all be following along with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Awesome P&O app. Our boarding passes have now disappeared from the app, saying they will be available at 60 days. Will see how it shakes out. We have a Verfly boarding pass, but no bar code on that.

I have printed  our boarding passes from Cruise control has the barcode) as its also disappeared from  the app. 

I sure there will be hiccups tomorrow, being the first cruise back.