LIVE from Alaska on the Quantum of the Seas

14 hours ago, johnstewarth said:

I don't think I used the word "loads." I said I'd heard rumors of "significant" transmission. Since I am going on the Quantum next Monday, I didn't think it was inappropriate to ask someone who had recently sailed on the same ship for her impression of the situation. I apologize if I came across as ignorant or offensive.

We are sailing Monday, too. The current group heard from a crew that 130 people didn’t make it on the ship because they had COVID. So there’s that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mchel210 said:

Ours was adventure park and zip line in icy straits (wasn’t built so I think that’s why it was canceled…which they knew months ahead and should haven’t booked)  the zip line was opened but not available to us because they just canceled that whole thing. They did atv instead last minute. But I could only get 3 spots for our group of 5.  The wilderness kayaking in Skagway was canceled the night before due to “an issue with the horses” ???? Not sure where the horses came involved?? We had to book off ship since nothing was available. There was a tour company M&m that had tons available if you get off early.

The people all in guest service line were asking each other what got canceled. kind of comical but not really. 

Thank you. I almost booked the kayak in skagway but most of my tours are through other companies. I know shortages are affecting lots of them. 

Thank you for the wonderful post. 

Does anyone have a list of where the Coke Freestyle machines are located?  I remember from other ships that they are in many of the places where food is being served, but they were also in some other locations... some of which were very handy once you knew about them.

Also, if you have a classic beverage package can you still get Coke Zero from any bar? 

Thanks

I agree with "Bird" about COVID.  The trick (not always 100% guaranteed though) is to wash, wash, wash your hands often.  We were on Wonder of the Seas in May right after many from the WOTS TA cruise posted they heard of Covid onboard being over the 0.3% and people getting sick after arrived home (from cruise or plane, who knows; can one really specify if they cruised & then flew home?).  Our cruise had ZERO reports of COVID among guests and a few from staff.  I didn't hear of anyone getting it upon return either (and there were 6 in our party with none of us getting sick).  None of us wore masks (unless required in certain ports) and all are vaccinated and boosted.  So just cuz there are cases on one trip, doesn't translate to your trip having cases.  Just control what you can-----YOU.  So "washy, washy" all the time (even if. they aren't standing there reminding. you to do so, which was the case on our cruise some) and sanitize as much as you can.  Have safe travels and hoping all stay well.  (PS--If. you are using WJ, I like the idea of the gloves.  We didn't use WJ this cruise.)

• Like 3

On 6/6/2022 at 11:16 AM, J0Y0US said:

I saw a video from someone else who didn't really like Sorento's on the Quantum compared to others but this was on like the 2nd cruise out of Seattle.

How would you rate the pizza? Pretty good?

Also were they doing custom orders at this point? I saw on previous sailings you couldn't do anything custom to the pizza just order from a preset menu.

Sorrento’s was one of our favorite places to eat on the ship. We loved the pizza. There is also a small counter service spot next door where you can get fruit, cookies, cakes. Also, you can get water, lemonade, coffee, and hot chocolate. This was a frequent stop for us. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:54 AM, johnstewarth said:

Hi Bird,

Thank you so much for your efforts in documenting your cruise. It was so much fun to follow you and anticipate our cruise on the same itinerary beginning on the 13th. I've heard rumors about significant Covid transmission on Alaska cruises. What impression did you have of the situation on your cruise?

I’m a new poster on CC, but followed closely as we led up to our 5/30 sailing, specifically to have my covid related questions/concerns answered. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. Our family of 4 is home now with 1 positive case and 3 negatives. The rest of us are retesting this afternoon. Thankfully my husband’s case is mild, like a cold.  

We masked in crowded areas such as the Windjammer and in terminals and avoided elevators when possible. I wish we had worn N-95’s. One tip I do have  for the main dining room…request a table by the window. Our first night (MDR on deck 4) we were at a centrally located table surrounded by others (including a cougher). I felt like the tables were too close together and was very uncomfortable. We had requested a window table when we boarded and were given a window table in the MDR on deck 3 for nights 2-7. This dining room felt more spacious and I was much more comfortable with the setup being against the window. 

OP, great review of the ship! I would have loved following along before our cruise. Great details and info! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Erinj2009 said:

I’m a new poster on CC, but followed closely as we led up to our 5/30 sailing, specifically to have my covid related questions/concerns answered. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. Our family of 4 is home now with 1 positive case and 3 negatives. The rest of us are retesting this afternoon. Thankfully my husband’s case is mild, like a cold.  

We masked in crowded areas such as the Windjammer and in terminals and avoided elevators when possible. I wish we had worn N-95’s. One tip I do have  for the main dining room…request a table by the window. Our first night (MDR on deck 4) we were at a centrally located table surrounded by others (including a cougher). I felt like the tables were too close together and was very uncomfortable. We had requested a window table when we boarded and were given a window table in the MDR on deck 3 for nights 2-7. This dining room felt more spacious and I was much more comfortable with the setup being against the window. 

OP, great review of the ship! I would have loved following along before our cruise. Great details and info! 

Did you have Traditional or My Time Dining? What was the name of the fining room on deck 3?

21 hours ago, mchel210 said:

we had big issues the first night with the dining room not being able to accommodate allergies even though they had been pre registered. I feel like the waiters had too many tables assigned (but that could be due to illness amongst staff)  We got switched to another table and it was night and day! Our new dining staff we had was amazing and cooked gluten free every morning and dinner in the main dining. They will cook lunch I believe in the main dining if you ask. Our head server found us every breakfast to ensure my daughter has her gluten free meals and desserts! The sorrentos pizza place WILL bake any pizza gluten free with whatever toppings you want. It was wonderful. 

Can you share a little more about your daughter's experience with finding gluten free.  I have Celiac as well, and I am a little concerned.  Did she place her order for dinner the day before?  Did you eat in any specialty restaurants?  Did you eat in Windjammer?  I am thinking it is a good idea to stay away from windjammer.  I don't want to take a chance of cross contamination.  Thanks

11 hours ago, SamInWa said:

Thank you for the wonderful post. 

Does anyone have a list of where the Coke Freestyle machines are located?  I remember from other ships that they are in many of the places where food is being served, but they were also in some other locations... some of which were very handy once you knew about them.

Also, if you have a classic beverage package can you still get Coke Zero from any bar? 

Thanks

Sorento's on Deck 4. Two in the Windjammer on either side of the ship near the serving lines. One up in the SeaPlex next to the Dog House. 

On 6/7/2022 at 6:54 AM, johnstewarth said:

Hi Bird,

Thank you so much for your efforts in documenting your cruise. It was so much fun to follow you and anticipate our cruise on the same itinerary beginning on the 13th. I've heard rumors about significant Covid transmission on Alaska cruises. What impression did you have of the situation on your cruise?

John I’ve followed each Quantum sailing very carefully and there’s a lot of Covid cases towards the end of the cruise and once guests get home 

On this particular sailing the cases are coming in once guests are home…..over on FB there’s a poll and so far out of 30 guests who filled it out 15 got Covid once home and they tested 

The other poster here Memaa or wherever her name is loves to contradict me and any other person for the most part…..she did it so much on our 5/16 sailing and was wondering why people blocked her on FB out of the blue 🙈🤣

I’ve joined every single roll call since the start and the comments, posts and polls speak for themselves 

She likes to argue for some reason…..my suggestion is to join the FB roll calls yourself so you’ll also get first hand info 

Have a excellent cruise 

And Bird Thanks again for a great live review and hope you and the Bird family didn’t get Covid 

On 6/7/2022 at 9:54 AM, johnstewarth said:

I agree.  Thanks, Bird for the informative live thread.  🙂

John, to answer your question, our sailing on 5/20, Ovation, had several transmissions reported to our private group on FB before the cruise ended.  Those were quarantined.  Afterwards, out of 480 in the group, we had about 15% turn up positive (this is no representative of the cruise, but of our group).   Of course, some of those cases could have been travel home as well, but ours wasn't.  People don't begin having symptoms the same day as contracted, and after a long flight to drop off my sister and aunt (who both have had Covid, and didn't get sick this time), that night on the drive back home (8 hours), I began with symptoms, my husband the next morning.    

The cruise prior to, and the one after, ours also reported a number of cases.  Many of us flew cross-country to get to Seattle, then toured Seattle first.  Then lots of time spent indoors on an AK cruise. That is probably how the virus came onboard, and then continued to spread across the cruise.  

Edited by barbeyg

11 hours ago, LaCal said:

John I’ve followed each Quantum sailing very carefully and there’s a lot of Covid cases towards the end of the cruise and once guests get home 

On this particular sailing the cases are coming in once guests are home…..over on FB there’s a poll and so far out of 30 guests who filled it out 15 got Covid once home and they tested 

The other poster here Memaa or wherever her name is loves to contradict me and any other person for the most part…..she did it so much on our 5/16 sailing and was wondering why people blocked her on FB out of the blue 🙈🤣

I’ve joined every single roll call since the start and the comments, posts and polls speak for themselves 

She likes to argue for some reason…..my suggestion is to join the FB roll calls yourself so you’ll also get first hand info 

Have a excellent cruise 

And Bird Thanks again for a great live review and hope you and the Bird family didn’t get Covid 

6 hours ago, barbeyg said:

I agree.  Thanks, Bird for the informative live thread.  🙂

John, to answer your question, our sailing on 5/20, Ovation, had several transmissions reported to our private group on FB before the cruise ended.  Those were quarantined.  Afterwards, out of 480 in the group, we had about 15% turn up positive (this is no representative of the cruise, but of our group).   Of course, some of those cases could have been travel home as well, but ours wasn't.  People don't begin having symptoms the same day as contracted, and after a long flight to drop off my sister and aunt (who both have had Covid, and didn't get sick this time), that night on the drive back home (8 hours), I began with symptoms, my husband the next morning.    

The cruise prior to, and the one after, ours also reported a number of cases.  Many of us flew cross-country to get to Seattle, then toured Seattle first.  Then lots of time spent indoors on an AK cruise. That is probably how the virus came onboard, and then continued to spread across the cruise.  

Thank you both so much for your responses! Very helpful! We're planning to wear KN-95 masks except when eating or drinking, much like we did on our Thanksgiving cruise. We've been vaxxed and boosted twice, and had Omicron in January, so if we do contract it, I hope it will be very mild. The cruise is almost here; can't wait!

Edited by johnstewarth
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, johnstewarth said:

Thank you both so much for your responses! Very helpful! We're planning to wear KN-95 masks except when eating or drinking, much like we did on our Thanksgiving cruise. We've been vaxxed and boosted twice, and had Omicron in January, so if we do contract it, I hope it will be very mild. The cruise is almost here; can't wait!

So many who have contracted Omicron a second time have said the second bout wasn't as bad as the first.  Have a great cruise!  We did, despite bringing a surprise visitor home.  lol  All you can do is take your precautions.  I hope you enjoy the outstanding beauty of Alaska as much as we did.  🙂

We are on this itinerary for June 27. Just wondering about MDR times given the itinerary for the ports being in the evening for most of the stops. Do they allow you to come earlier or later if you have just the regular dining scheduled?

On 6/8/2022 at 8:22 PM, screwsmcernst said:

Can you share a little more about your daughter's experience with finding gluten free.  I have Celiac as well, and I am a little concerned.  Did she place her order for dinner the day before?  Did you eat in any specialty restaurants?  Did you eat in Windjammer?  I am thinking it is a good idea to stay away from windjammer.  I don't want to take a chance of cross contamination.  Thanks

Hi yes! We signed up for alert to gluten from when we paid for the cruise. The first day there was No indication the chef knew. They checked for what items on the menu has been gluten free. Pretty much anything they prepare they can modify by cooking with different flours but certain items already come prepared so those can’t be changed to gluten free. I think if you go to the main dining room early enough on the first day and speak to the head waiter you might have better experiences. The waiter e we had the first night didn’t take the allergy serious it seemed and ended up making my daughter so upset with no food options. We switched to a different table and a different head waiter. She was amazing!! I cant even Tell you how wonderful they made dining! They did plan every meal …appetizers, dinner and desserts. They do the menu the day before for dinner ( you don’t need to for breakfast and lunch) They always prepared extra desserts too. They made gluten free pancakes and breakfast, they can do gluten free lunch in the main dining area, and every dinner meal. Windjammer was not a good option. You can ask for gluten free breads in the bakery in windjammer. There is a gluten free area but the options didn’t look good. Basic items. The main dining always brought bread toasted which is so much better. I think addressing it early on embarkation day would have alleviated problems from the get go. If you are on quantum Rose (head waiter) in the main dining room was amazing in handling the diet!! That pizza is cooked in a gluten free oven so I’m sure the main dining also has something similar! 💖 

Edited by mchel210
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 6:44 PM, Reds4life said:

We are on this itinerary for June 27. Just wondering about MDR times given the itinerary for the ports being in the evening for most of the stops. Do they allow you to come earlier or later if you have just the regular dining scheduled?

The ships are sailing full (ours was near capacity). So showing up for dinner at random times would not be accommodated. This itinerary is one where selecting late dining or better yet, MTD would have been a better choice. You can always go to the Windjammer, try the Solarium, Two70 cafe or Sorento's if you show up late. Or order room service. 

19 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a coffee maker or hot water maker in the Grand Suites on Quantum?  We’ve only sailed on Allure and Oasis, which had them, but do not know about Quantum.

Suites have the Lavazza machines and also a hot water kettle.  

On 6/13/2022 at 8:32 PM, DaKahuna said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a coffee maker or hot water maker in the Grand Suites on Quantum?  We’ve only sailed on Allure and Oasis, which had them, but do not know about Quantum.

(Swiss Miss not included 🙂 )

image.png.e843c33856d4eab8a2ac57d90ba35960.png

image.thumb.png.7ac67b81b8da99fc9239e980f0134276.png

On 6/13/2022 at 8:53 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Suites have the Lavazza machines and also a hot water kettle.  

Thank you.  Now I know how to prepare. 

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

(Swiss Miss not included 🙂 )

Thank you. 

• 10 months later...
On 5/31/2022 at 5:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

Night 2 MDR - Formal Night

AD2F3655-02F4-4361-A658-E65AB68B9DC6.thumb.jpeg.bf82857db7688e00800d4b49fd35cb8d.jpegCD5143FF-55F7-44CA-85A3-24EA792F0466.thumb.jpeg.5aad874d8b5ee3f89b37b23621243846.jpeg

25513880-8274-4E5D-B4E8-36C92E6214FD.jpeg

Hello!  How formal are the formal nights on Alaska cruises?  We are diamond, however, this is our first Alaska cruise!  We leave on June 12th and I have heard it far less formal than Caribbean cruises. TIA!

7 hours ago, mbjonsn said:

Hello!  How formal are the formal nights on Alaska cruises?  We are diamond, however, this is our first Alaska cruise!  We leave on June 12th and I have heard it far less formal than Caribbean cruises. TIA!

Alaska is less formal than Caribbean cruises I have heard, but there are also  WIDE range of “dress your best” attires....on my Alaska ship, it coincided with the production show night, so I just dressed like I was going to the theatre...it was nice to do after being in outdoorsy/exercise clothes all week haha

• Like 1