"Free" really isn't free?

AACJ

We're looking for a cruise soon, first time with MSC.  Looking at their site, it has different "offers" for the cruise.  One says "Free drinks and wifi" from $948.00 pp.  If it's "free" why are they charging for it?  Free really isn't free it you have to pay for it.  Not trying to be cheap either, we would be purchasing a drink package anyway, but it seems somewhat deceptive.  

free.JPG

• Like 1

Maybe they could use better terms like 'packages'.  It is what it is.

You want to see 'free' abused, go to NCL where 'free' packages have implied gratuities added.  For your convenience, of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

You want to see 'free' abused, go to NCL where 'free' packages have implied gratuities added.  For your convenience, of course.

42 minutes ago, psmarkle said:

Is that the 18% gratuity fee they add on when you select that "free" offer, by chance?

On NCL, it's 20%.

Take a SDP or UDP promo? Add 20%

Buy a meal or a drink without a package? Add 20%

Buy something in the gift shop? Add 20%

• Like 2

3 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Maybe you should look at Viking, etc where the drinks really are free.

Actually, the drinks are not free on Viking.  They charge for various drink packages.  If you truly want free you can get it with most luxury cruise lines like Seabourn and Silverseas.  When we cruise on Seabourn our on board account can easily be zero at the end of a long cruise since we generally do not take cruise line excursions.  

Hank

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Actually, the drinks are not free on Viking.  They charge for various drink packages.  If you truly want free you can get it with most luxury cruise lines like Seabourn and Silverseas.  When we cruise on Seabourn our on board account can easily be zero at the end of a long cruise since we generally do not take cruise line excursions.  

Hank

Let's be honest with ourselves! 

Nothing is Free.

Regardless of the Cruise line, you are paying for a drink pkg, Specialty Restaurants. Internet, etc. Either via a % like NCL, Celebrity has a basic fair and then extras added to it and so does Seabourn which is buried in the cruise price.

They all should do the same to tips, include that in the cruise price. 

When they charge $8 for a beer or $3.50 for a Coke, you will not get them free.  You may think so,  but you paid in one way or another. 

• Like 4

So if I don't purchase the drink package at initial booking, do they have better deals later or would it be the same?  What about when we board?  We got a good deal on a drink package the first day, many years ago.  And this is our first MSC cruise, so I don't know what to expect.

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Let's be honest with ourselves! 

Nothing is Free.

Regardless of the Cruise line, you are paying for a drink pkg, Specialty Restaurants. Internet, etc. Either via a % like NCL, Celebrity has a basic fair and then extras added to it and so does Seabourn which is buried in the cruise price.

They all should do the same to tips, include that in the cruise price. 

When they charge $8 for a beer or $3.50 for a Coke, you will not get them free.  You may think so,  but you paid in one way or another. 

That's it, exactly!... But now, let us to notice: In some ways cruising is becoming too complex these daye. On one hand, I'd to prefer the easiest way, where all things would to be bundled on your base price... But that seems just not working for many or even most of us, so a compromise should to be done. In certain markets like my own Portugal, you can't actually to purchase most sailings, if not under some sort of "All Inclusive" fare. But, I know, they don't work that way elsewhere!... So what?... Be careful while booking. Evaluate whatever the cruise lines are offering... And notice whether it suits you or nor. IMHO, in current terms and conditions, MSC drinks packages aren't really worth it, unless out of a really nice deal... But that is for me. One could argue otherwise. Long ago gone are the days when even gelato was available from the drinks packages!...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

They should just call it what it is - a package / bundle price. 

Here’s what’s on offer for a Seashore 7-night cruise in October:

0B928B8E-4360-4D94-AFAF-F164F7A2E081.thumb.jpeg.1ff1eac61a9559155465b177a6ae4baa.jpeg

You can add this to the Escape to Sea price to see if it’s a good deal for you.  If you would buy the “free stuff” regardless of price, I think the bundled / free price is usually a better deal.

For example, I just looked at a Seashore sailing in September to see how prices differed. The drinks + WiFi price was only $100 pp more than the No-frills best price. Compare that to the $343 Easy Plus Package, and it is definitely a better price if you would drink $100 of beverages (and WiFi).

Now, if you are just complaining about verbage, that issue goes across many lines and industries. As everyone who had economics in high school should have learned, “There is no such thing as a free lunch.”  

But calling it FREE does get people’s attention - and we, obviously, overlook their marketing ploys and continue buying goods and services. 

….They do go around with offers for food and beverage packages at the beginning of the cruise, but I think your best offer is to catch a rate during a sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you done your Loyalty Match with MSC to your highest level on another cruise line?

Even though you’ve got a lot of variety in your cruise history, one of them might get you some status on MSC.

13 minutes ago, alohayall said:

Have you done your Loyalty Match with MSC to your highest level on another cruise line?

Even though you’ve got a lot of variety in your cruise history, one of them might get you some status on MSC.

We used our Select status on Celebrity to get Gold status on MSC.  The nice thing is Royal Caribbean combined their points with our Celebrity cruises into one for the higher level.  The MSC site, specifically for the cruise we booked either doesn't have much information or things need to fall in line, since we booked just a few days ago.  They already tied my status and my wifes, but I can't seem to find any room credits, discount applied for being a Gold member (lol).  Their customer service also seems to be lacking when I call.  I got a person on the phone on Memorial Day when we booked, who sounded like she'd been drinking and couldn't answer any of my questions.  Most of which were from the website, and she just read back, from the website what I had already read before.  No questions answered.  

Thanks for your suggestion though....  : )

As far as discounts, you should have received 5% discount for your Gold, not including port taxes and fees.

Landslide, MSC is very frustrating to deal with. 
HUCA is the way to go.

Onboard, it is a different experience, which is why we sail with them.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, phissy said:

As far as discounts, you should have received 5% discount for your Gold, not including port taxes and fees.

Landslide, MSC is very frustrating to deal with. 
HUCA is the way to go.

Onboard, it is a different experience, which is why we sail with them.

Sorry, what does HUCA mean?

I have had to ask whether the Voyager’s Club discount was applied - it wasn’t this last time. She did apply it once asked. A different agent had brought a cruise price down to less than I expected. 

Customer service does seem to be hit or miss. This is widely commented on - and seems to be their weakest link. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phissy said:

Hang Up Call Again

Ah, lolz.  That makes sense.  I actually did hang up and call back, but the person was obviously from another country call center with a very thick accent.  I couldn't understand him and he couldn't understand me.  

1 hour ago, AACJ said:

Sorry, what does HUCA mean?

Hang Up, Call Again, I believe.  The best way to work with MSC Customer Service.  Eventually, you get someone who knows what they are talking about,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

Hang Up, Call Again, I believe.  The best way to work with MSC Customer Service.  Eventually, you get someone who knows what they are talking about,

Or: Try to find such a good TA whom works closely with them. Yeah, I know, MSC works differently market by market, but again: Here they have some TA's with whom they make some sort of partnerships... Maybe they have those as well there...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Or: Try to find such a good TA whom works closely with them. Yeah, I know, MSC works differently market by market, but again: Here they have some TA's with whom they make some sort of partnerships... Maybe they have those as well there...

Many, many US based TA's refuse to work with MSC.  Too many headaches and it's not worth their time to be on hold for hours to fix simple issues.  

19 hours ago, JAGR said:

JAGR, I realize this is not where I should ask this question but I believe you might be able to give me the quickest answer - I wanted to “like” (heart) your comment but the only choices i have are a trophy or face - how do I find the heart?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cellfree said:

JAGR, I realize this is not where I should ask this question but I believe you might be able to give me the quickest answer - I wanted to “like” (heart) your comment but the only choices i have are a trophy or face - how do I find the heart?

Just click the heart  when you hover over it, its giving you three options, the heart (like) is still an option as well as the other two popping out

• Like 1