The Daily for Tuesday 05/31/2022

richwmn

Thanks for the Daily report and all the wonderful contributions.  I wish I could recognize all the special events.  Still having to sit in a running truck to have internet.  DF iPhone has t mobile and he gets a weak internet phone signal. When we go to town I will visit the Verizon store and if they won't give a booster I will end my service with them.  It is a real piece of work to write down all my contacts' information.  I think my pics are backed up in Google.  Then the apps. I guess a good rainy day project. Winds to 40 mph today. Great news it will blow the mosquitoes away just stay away from the woods.  

Prayers for all on Roy's care list and the grieving families in Buffalo and Uvalde.  Prayers for the people in Ukraine. 🙏

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

I do hope everyone had a good weekend. Thanks Rich for the Daily and congratulations to  @MISTER 67 on your hole in one.

I think I’m talking for the majority of us but I do wish that @kazu Jacqui would please return to daily visits to the Daily. I know I miss her daily postings and I’m sure many others feel the same way. Take as much time as you need but we would welcome and relish your return.

After paying our respects to our fallen heroes we did have a neighborhood couple over for hamburgers, hot dogs and homemade strawberry shortcake.

Watched on PBS yesterday afternoon the annual Memorial Day Concert from the White House lawn. For me it was very emotional,  especially the tribute to Medics in Vietnam. As an Aero Medic who served in Vietnam Nam it was definitely a reminder of the horrors we saw and how blessed I’am that I came home. All I can say if your a vet having issues please seek help and start a conversation with one of the many resources available.

When growing up in New England Memorial Day weekend always consisted of a parade of honor and remembrance, a visit to the cemetery to do some yard work and add flowers to our close relatives graves. It was also the official beginning of summer. The state parks would open, Beach pavilions and changing rooms would open and dang was the lake water cold!!

Wishing all of you a wonderful, memorable, healthy and safe 2022 Summer season.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  This morning is beautiful outside though warm.  This afternoon a front is supposed to come through and drop our temps to the sixties.  That will be comfortable for me.  Today’s meal suggestion is interesting and I’d be willing to give it a try based on @dfish recipes and pictures.  Back to work today and it will be a busy one, at least it’s only four days until Friday.

image.thumb.png.9a0db69c2eb30c2d4ceb33ee76c065a5.png

• Like 30
  • Haha 4

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I do like macaroons, but only have them occasionally. Hearing loss not only affects the person with it, but also their family, friends and really any contacts. My DMIL used to get so aggravated with DFIL if he turned his hearing aids off or wasn't wearing them and now she won't even have her hearing checked. No tobacco use here.

I like the quote. I would try the meal if put in front of me. 

@cunnorl, Charlene, what a scary experience. I am very glad DD was not hurt. Also happy that other than that you all had a great weekend.

@Vict0riann, Ann, happy birthday to Pat. 🎂

@cat shepard, Ann, while unfortunate, I feel the one liner is true.

@MISTER 67 congratulations on your hole in one. 🎉

Not much going on today. I talked with DH last night and he is doing well. 

Wishing everyone a terrific Tuesday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I do hope everyone had a good weekend. Thanks Rich for the Daily and congratulations to  @MISTER 67 on your hole in one.

I think I’m talking for the majority of us but I do wish that @kazu Jacqui would please return to daily visits to the Daily. I know I miss her daily postings and I’m sure many others feel the same way. Take as much time as you need but we would welcome and relish your return.

After paying our respects to our fallen heroes we did have a neighborhood couple over for hamburgers, hot dogs and homemade strawberry shortcake.

Watched on PBS yesterday afternoon the annual Memorial Day Concert from the White House lawn. For me it was very emotional,  especially the tribute to Medics in Vietnam. As an Aero Medic who served in Vietnam Nam it was definitely a reminder of the horrors we saw and how blessed I’am that I came home. All I can say if your a vet having issues please seek help and start a conversation with one of the many resources available.

When growing up in New England Memorial Day weekend always consisted of a parade of honor and remembrance, a visit to the cemetery to do some yard work and add flowers to our close relatives graves. It was also the official beginning of summer. The state parks would open, Beach pavilions and changing rooms would open and dang was the lake water cold!!

Wishing all of you a wonderful, memorable, healthy and safe 2022 Summer season.

Thanks from a fellow Vietnam vet for your service.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love coconut macaroons . . . yum; macarons, not so much.  How many of us have told our children to turn down the music or you'll regret it later?  Thankfully both DH and I still have good hearing, but that can always change.  Haven't smoked since I was a teenager, nor has DH, so ignoring tobacco won't be a hardship for us.

Lots to do this morning, as we're having 2 couples come over for brunch.  DH has wanted to make his "farm breakfast" for the past 2+ years for more than just the two of us, so today's the day.  It's a large 1 pan creation that his dad used to make at the farm (thus the name) that consists of frying up diced onions, well drained green and yellow beans, and bacon.  Once it all cooks up, add either home made hash browns, or in our case, a bag of frozen hash browns, put it into a roaster and toss the whole thing in the oven for 30 minutes.  Just before it comes out, top with shredded cheese.  It's served with fruit salad and toast; maybe not the prettiest, but it certainly is a from-the-heart meal.  My job is to dice the onions and make the fruit salad and toast, in addition to making sure the house looks good, the table is set, and to provide lots of coffee and "adult orange juice" (mimosas). 

@VictOriann Happy Birthday to your DH Pat, with many returns of the day!

@MISTER 67 Congrats on the hole in one; I don't golf, but understand how important it is to get one!

I like today's menu suggestion and have actually had it - our DGS's babysitter who is from Pakistan had us over for breakfast one morning.  It was quite tasty, and of course the house smelled wonderful from all the spices she used.  However, after today's brunch, I'm pretty sure I know what will be on our dinner table tonight.  Leftovers.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all the families impacted by the senseless violence of recent days.  We'll clink the glasses together at brunch and dinner tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Incredibly baroque check-in procedure for Lufthansa, because their software can't interpret CDC vaccination cards, which have no QR code. OTOH, for a covid test, all I have is a QR code, with no indication of the result, which seems to be standard in Greece. So I am checked-in but "non-compliant."

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning  from a hot and humid NY.It will be in the 90's .

@Vict0riann,Happy Birthday to Pat

@aliaschief,I vividly remember  swimming in that very cold lake water with my brothers on Memorial  Day.We did it no matter what the weather was!Ah, youth....

My executive  Chef requested bean and pasta soup for dinner tonight. It is simmering  on the stove already.

@dfish, I will be thinking of you and praying  that all goes well tomorrow. 

Have a good Tuesday 

Terry

• Like 31

Good morning everyone.

Thank you for the lists to both Roy and Rich.

@Vict0riann Happy Birthday to Pat.

@MISTER 67Congratulations on your hole in one.  I am not a golfer. Took lessons and it was a disaster.  I did get a hole in one playing mini golf—LOL.

@dfishGood luck tomorrow with your surgery.  You certainly will be in my prayers.  Thank you for the kind words. 

@Sharon in AZGlad you made it safely to Barcelona.  Enjoy that wonderful city.  

@HeartgrovePrayers for both your brother and sister

@rafinmdSafe travels home and hope you enjoyed your cruise.

We had a quiet Memorial Day. Didn’t do much.  Had some Hot Dogs, Corn on th Cob, Potato Salad.

In the afternoon I received an email from @dobiemom that she was interested in the wheelchair for her mom.  I am only mentioning her name because she posted it on the Daily yesterday,

As it happens, her sister lives in Jacksonville, FL and was traveling to Beaufort, SC yesterday.  So she stopped at my exit off I-95 last night and we met and I gave her the wheelchair.  She will be using it when her Mom travels to California to see @dobiemom.  It was a perfect setup.  I did not have to worry about sending it and they were so grateful for it.  We were happy that someone who can use it now has it.  Eugene (my brother in law) would be so happy that someone now is using it.

An all around good situation.  It will be put to good use.

If I missed anyone, sorry.  Prayers for everyone here on the Daily.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 39
  • Thanks 7

39 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning everyone.

Thank you for the lists to both Roy and Rich.

@Vict0riann Happy Birthday to Pat.

@MISTER 67Congratulations on your hole in one.  I am not a golfer. Took lessons and it was a disaster.  I did get a hole in one playing mini golf—LOL.

@dfishGood luck tomorrow with your surgery.  You certainly will be in my prayers.  Thank you for the kind words. 

@Sharon in AZGlad you made it safely to Barcelona.  Enjoy that wonderful city.  

@HeartgrovePrayers for both your brother and sister

@rafinmdSafe travels home and hope you enjoyed your cruise.

We had a quiet Memorial Day. Didn’t do much.  Had some Hot Dogs, Corn on th Cob, Potato Salad.

In the afternoon I received an email from @dobiemom that she was interested in the wheelchair for her mom.  I am only mentioning her name because she posted it on the Daily yesterday,

As it happens, her sister lives in Jacksonville, FL and was traveling to Beaufort, SC yesterday.  So she stopped at my exit off I-95 last night and we met and I gave her the wheelchair.  She will be using it when her Mom travels to California to see @dobiemom.  It was a perfect setup.  I did not have to worry about sending it and they were so grateful for it.  We were happy that someone who can use it now has it.  Eugene (my brother in law) would be so happy that someone now is using it.

If I missed anyone, sorry.  Prayers for everyone here on the Daily.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God bless,

Terri

Bless you, Terri. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

A busy day here trying to get everything done before we leave for Yellowstone tomorrow morning.  Packing is almost done, but yardwork and housework need to be done.  And we're finally having a few dry days so I can finish the last 1/3 of the stain on the deck floor.  The lattice can wait until after we return. The rush is because the Cottonwood is starting to fall from the trees, and that could make a real mess.

It was in the news yesterday that Seattle has had the wettest May in 74 years -- 3.79 inches for the month and I believe it.  I do believe the moss in the yard has more moss growing on it. 😉  We're all ready for some sun.

I don't care for macaroons, saving hearing is so important.  Two of DH's sisters are deaf, as is a niece.  Neither DH or I have ever smoked. I'll pass on the meal and wine, but the drink sounds good.  Have never been to the port.

@Vict0riannHappy Birthday to Pat!  Enjoy your time in my home town, I miss living there but get there often.

@MISTER 67a big congratulations on your hole in one!!

@dfishDebbie I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, "talk" to you when it's done.

@Heartgrove Jack prayers for both your brother and sister.

@rafinmdRoy safe travels home!

@Cruzin Territhat's wonderful that the wheelchair will be going to @dobiemom's DM 🙂  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. It’s going to be 95 here today and 84 in Delray Beach, Florida. A little crazy

Tomorrow is the day I have been waiting for since July 1. It will be June 1, my favorite day of the year . It started when I worked in an inner city junior high in the Bronx and on June 1  I would start to count down the days till summer vacation. June 1 is my favorite day of the year, my grandson was born on June 2, Sam had his stroke on June 6 but I am trying to turn that around to a positive that he did survive and my birthday is at the end of the month. So, here comes JUNE.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 37

I found two recipes for Strawberry Basil Spritzer.

Ingredients
1 oz strawberry-infused Tito’s Handmade Vodka Make it!
3 oz white wine
3 oz sparkling water
2-4 basil leaves
Directions
Muddle basil leaves and infused Tito’s Handmade Vodka into your glass of choice.
Add ice and remaining ingredients.

and:

Ingredients
2 parts Skinnygirl® Bare Naked Vodka
2 large Strawberries
3-4 pieces Basil
Splash Soda Water
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Muddle strawberries in a glass. Add ice, basil and Skinnygirl® Bare Naked Vodka. Top with soda and garnish with a fresh lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.37.38 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Happy Birthday to our good friend and cruise companion Pat , congratulations and Best Wishes from Martha and Tony ! 

To us you are not just @VictOriann Ann's  DH Pat , you are very special so from the hundreds of pictures I have of Ann and you I like to show you from your best side to the Daily family……………………have a great day ! 

image.thumb.jpeg.149e29e3601b80495dc9e274bd858549.jpeg

Sorry Pal  that was from the wrong folder  that I have from you , so here are some much nicer ones ! 

image.thumb.jpeg.4d3affac3afceb63b2ac66e66db710d0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a3ef7b41e3315bbf89bec8502dd6a881.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e189eca4bf562b2df90fd3037e3bc244.jpeg

I know Pat , sorry for placing you in the spotlight today , I see you are not impressed !

image.thumb.jpeg.b35d1f4e5b484c78162955fbd2dd61a7.jpeg

Looking forward to our next cruise together next spring .

Have a wonderful day ! 

Martha and Tony 😍😍

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Happy belated Memorial Day.  Dear Dad and I arrived home from our Princess cruise Sunday morning and I'm still suffering from my cold that I caught onboard the last day, it's the 2nd cruise in a row I've come home sick.  

Thoughts on Discovery Princess:

Ship

-the Discovery is beautiful, everything is so new and shiny, very handsome ship overall

-but way too big for us, I never really felt like I got to know the ship the way I do HAL vessels, which are intuitive in finding your way around, whereas Discovery felt like a maze, particularly the much cited Ketchikan Dining Room, honestly I don't get why they continue to design Princess ships that way, I even mapped out a better design in my own head.

-the spa and gym so far apart were another misnomer, why not move the kids area to the spa like RCI, or is it NCL?  Course having the sanctuary in front rather than the back is what screwed it all up to begin with, but in any respect, I felt this could have been better designed.

-I didn't really like the atrium concept, the noise level was astounding on sea days; I think people would have been more spread out if it wasn't for my next point, so unless you wanted to freeze up on deck, the atrium was it.

-Hated the lack of a covered pool, which is a great hang out spot on HAL ships but were mostly deserted on Discovery; I will also never again criticize the Crow's Nest, we very much missed having a forward perspective on where we were going.

Crew

-definitely on par with HAL nice; the crew were very attentive and accommodating, I couldn't' believe it because I had read other reviews that said otherwise, so this was a pleasant surprise with one disappointment.

-one day I needed extra blankets and I called guest services who in turn called our steward who was noticeably displeased that I had done that.  Medallion allows you to request pillows via the app, but not blankets.  He said I should always call housekeeping, which to me meant "cleaning".  So Princess wasn't clear on this.  Past HAL stewards wrote down their names and extension at the start of the cruise for memory impaired people like us.  I asked our steward if he had a card and he said no.  

-However, he later redeemed himself during a wardrobe malfunction and we needed safety pins to fix it, I called him (at the correct extension this time) and interrupted his dinner so he could swing by the laundry for some, I tipped him well for this.  

Food

-MDR, we ate here 4 times: 2 breakfasts which we quickly gave up on and 2 dinners, the service was excellent at our late 8pm dining time, and the food was quite good actually, the meat loaf I had on the last night was one of the best ever and I'm a major meatloaf snob. And Dad LOVED his turkey that he had to wait late in the cruise for, but the server gave him extra at my request, I tipped for it. MDR breakfast was just too crowded and noisy, not relaxing at all for the time of day.

-Lido, I never thought the Lido would be my go to for quiet time, but compared to the atrium, it was like a library most of the day.  We had several breakfasts, lunches, and dinners from there.  The food was adequate, not great by any means, but not horrible.  Everything was hot.  Variety was good.  And they had fantastic hours (looking at you HAL); knowing we could eat almost anytime of the day between 5am and 11pm really helped us.  And overlap!  The idea of overlapping breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner is brilliant!

-Pizza, consistently good, but best at sea?  I wouldn't know because I've only been on two lines, but better than HAL and I ate there 3 or 4 times.

-Crown Grill, ate here twice, both via room service and the first time was fantastic, but not quite at the Pinnacle level; however the second time was awful, the filet mignon was full of grizzle and I needed a chainsaw to cut it.  

-the Salty Dog, one hamburger was all it took to ensure I'd never return.  Worse than HAL.

-Overall, everything was about on par with HAL these days

-We enjoyed cocktails throughout, they seemed a little on the weak side compared to HAL.

-We did not dine at Sabatini's or Bistro Sur La Mer.

Entertainment

-can't really comment on this because we're not stage show people, the only time we experienced entertainment was the guitar player who set up in the atrium and was just adorable; and the piano/string combo who mostly played in the Crown Grill bar, which quickly became our favorite hang out.  

Room Service (ugh)

-this is where I had the most disappointments and not even close to HAL standards

-first of all, breakfast, to not even offer a pot of coffee to non-suite guests is ridiculous and I see no reason why other than to give suite guests something extra, yeah you can order from the International Café and hope it arrives (one day it didn't); but not worth the upcharges at that time of day.

-every room service order arrives with no condiments, no salt/pepper, no frills of any kind.  Dear Dad's tiny PB&J arrived looking ridiculously lonely on a huge plate.  I finally swiped a salt shaker from the Lido and hid it in the cabin so the steward wouldn't take it away.  Nor are there any ways to ask for these things because it's all automated via the app, I suppose you could call, but that would defeat the purpose of it.  

-the food itself was great if it was an upcharge item, but meh on everything else; by mid-cruise we stopped using RS except for drinks

-other random comments: the chicken soup was made with beef broth, go figure.  The desserts were good though and similar to HAL.

Medallion (lol)

-the worn medallion itself was wonderful, very efficient and we marveled over how the crew knew who we were anytime we were within spitting distance and how our door would unlock for us.

-the app however, was a joke.  My phone and eventually tablet would constantly freeze or go into spinning circles of death.  At least with Android there's a way to kill the app and start over.  But with Apple products you are forced to reboot the phone and after 3 or 4 times of this I grew tired of it and gave up on the app altogether.  I never did see our final bill, guess I'm going to have to call if there are any problems.  

-Navigator has issues too, but nothing like Medallion, at least it works throughout the cruise.

-Another problem was scheduling, venues would be wrong or the times and I wasn't the only one, I heard a couple complaints including one of the violinist's herself when nobody bothered to tell her of a last minute change right before she was supposed to perform, she was understandably unhappy.

-At least they printed out copies of the daily and brought them into the room the night before since the app was useless, maybe they knew this. 

I think I will stop here, but to summarize, would I return for another Princess cruise?  Probably, but I'd pay much closer attention to the particular ship, the layout, and size.  But as suspected, it'll never replace HAL and from time to time we'd see one of the BHB's next to us in port and wish we were there.  

~Bruno

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, and thanks all for the birthday wishes for Pat.  He was quite overcome with emotion!!

Heading off to the ferry soon, but I just have to comment on macaroons.  I make plain ones, just sugar and egg whites, baked in a low oven, for Christmas.  We have them with whipped cream or sometimes , if they are broken up, with jam and whipped cream (Eton Mess).  Then there are the French macarons, which are perfectly shaped, definitely not like mine, which are usually lopsided, two layered with a filling.  Also coconut macaroons, which I make for gluten-free friends, although the ones in the grocery store sometimes are not.  The best ones in the whole world are almond macaroons, which used to be made in a little bakery up the island, and I would stock up on them if we were in Duncan.  We haven't been there for ages, so I don't know if the bakery is still there.  They were melt-in the-mouth delicious.  

Today was a big day for me, too.  I got the confirmation from HAL for our M&G on the Nieuw Statendam in July, and an appointment for my barium swallow in June.    Now I can go off and enjoy shopping in Bellingham, just look out Macy's!

• Like 28

Bruno. That was a very well written and thorough review. Thanks for sharing. Just a suggestion; maybe it would be helpful to post this review also on the main Hal CC page so those that don’t read the Daily could benefit. Thanks!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

It was truly a God thing that everything came together so perfectly. 😉😘

• Like 24