On Brilliance now - Poor Dining choices for Vegetarians

13 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I thought the rubbish part was about the app, not the Vegan menu choices.

I guess you're right.  Two subjects in that sentence, and I took the first.

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Just point to the item you want on the app, and your waiter will get it for you.  

Thanks, that's what I thought. I wanted to make sure. She's 19, she'll have no issue using her phone to read the menu. LOL

Jeso ! 

The app is rubbish not the vegan food !!

The post was about the lack of VEGETARIAN menu choices NOT vegan - there’s quite a difference 

THERE IS NO VEGETARIAN OR INDIAN MENUS AVAILABLE

as I have confirmed tonight in the MDR 

ALSO I am only talking about the MDR and NOT the Windjammer

You have to ask for an alternative VEGETARIAN meal if you don’t like what’s on the main menu 

Edited by Phils01

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Incorrect. It’s more like 10% now and that’s just Americans.  

Nah, probably correct. Not much has changed, it's pretty much the same as it's always been but vegetarianism goes in and out of popularity. I know plenty of "vegetarians" who still eat meat occasionally due to convenience or bordem with restrictive dieting. Though, they still virtue signal and call themselves vegetarians. "Flexitarian" is the new en vouge couture fad at the moment. Taking in account all the fads (ovo, lacto, pescatarian etc etc etc), it probably is closer to 2%, 5% at best for true vegetarians. Everyone has a plan and good intentions until they get hungry. 😃   

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Phils01 said:

Jeso ! 

The app is rubbish not the vegan food !!

The post was about the lack of VEGETARIAN menu choices NOT vegan - there’s quite a difference 

THERE IS NO VEGETARIAN OR INDIAN MENUS AVAILABLE

as I have confirmed tonight in the MDR 

ALSO I am only talking about the MDR and NOT the Windjammer

You have to ask for an alternative VEGETARIAN meal if you don’t like what’s on the main menu 

There has never been an Indian menu.  It was originally made for the crew, then passengers found out about it & started asking for some.  There’s no menu because there’s no set offerings.  It’s whatever they made that night. And not sure why having to ask for a vegetarian menu (besides the one available DAILY in the app) is such a big deal🤷‍♀️

Edited by poocher

I think I understand where you're coming from.  My daughter has celiac disease so she has to eat gluten free.  Pre-Covid, the menu listed all of the options that were already gluten free and we'd choose from them or modify some things to make them GF.  Now, they just hand you a menu and say "anything can be made GF, or ask for anything you want" which sounds great but is also overwhelming.  Sometimes we'll point to something and get an  "ohh not sure if that can be made GF, let me talk to the chef, choose a backup for tomorrow just in case" which leaves a lot up in the air.  So she kind of sticks to the same 3 or so things which is fine, she's 11, but if there were menu options already labeled GF she'd try them out, it was much better.

1 hour ago, poocher said:

There has never been an Indian menu.  It was originally made for the crew, then passengers found out about it & started asking for some.  There’s no menu because there’s no set offerings.  It’s whatever they made that night. And not sure why having to ask for a vegetarian menu (besides the one available DAILY in the app) is such a big deal🤷‍♀️

Some vegetarians can't or don't want to eat from a vegan menu. For example, I'm severely intolerant to coconut in all its forms (milk, oil, cream etc) and vegan dishes tend to be very heavy on the coconut (most vegan cheeses especially branded vegan cheese are made with coconut milk for example, plus lots of plant based veggie burgers etc contain coconut oil - don't ask me why!) so I actually can't order from the vegan menu. The last time I did order off the vegan menu on RCI (before I realised about the coconut in the "cheese" thing), I projectile vomited for three days. Needless to say I'm now super hesitant to order from it again even with the chef/head waiter's okay. So having an extra vegetarian menu (with even just one or two extra options) would be nice for me to choose from, instead of having to think of things to ask them to make specially. Having just one vegetarian option on the menu to choose from is a little iffy, especially if that option is a curry (coconut milk) or just something I don't like. Other veggies may just want to eat real cheese, milk, dairy based dishes. Not all vegetarians want to eat vegan, nor should they have to. *shrug*

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, dcgrumpy said:

So you can't order off of the vegan menu in the app? I'm sailing with my daughter this summer and thought that she could order from the menu in the app. The last time she sailed was back before they had an actual vegan menu. 

every other sailing yes, just the one waiter who thought I couldnt. I've done 5 on liberty and that was my 3rd leg on grandeur without having a problem ordering whatever item was on the app unless they didnt have it. 

Yes you can order anything on the menu you see on the app ..you may have to point to it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

Some vegetarians can't or don't want to eat from a vegan menu. For example, I'm severely intolerant to coconut in all its forms (milk, oil, cream etc) and vegan dishes tend to be very heavy on the coconut (most vegan cheeses especially branded vegan cheese are made with coconut milk for example, plus lots of plant based veggie burgers etc contain coconut oil - don't ask me why!) so I actually can't order from the vegan menu. The last time I did order off the vegan menu on RCI (before I realised about the coconut in the "cheese" thing), I projectile vomited for three days. Needless to say I'm now super hesitant to order from it again even with the chef/head waiter's okay. So having an extra vegetarian menu (with even just one or two extra options) would be nice for me to choose from, instead of having to think of things to ask them to make specially. Having just one vegetarian option on the menu to choose from is a little iffy, especially if that option is a curry (coconut milk) or just something I don't like. Other veggies may just want to eat real cheese, milk, dairy based dishes. Not all vegetarians want to eat vegan, nor should they have to. *shrug*

You are the first person I've ever heard of ..I'm the same way. A little coconut and I wake up throwing up. Every single time, all forms. Heart of palm, coconut oil. Milk of coconut. None of it. Even a little bit. 

I didnt used to eat chips ahoy made with coconut oil ... still dont but I can maybe eat one. I cant stand the smell of most sun tan oil. 

On 6/3/2022 at 1:41 AM, firefly333 said:

You are the first person I've ever heard of ..I'm the same way. A little coconut and I wake up throwing up. Every single time, all forms. Heart of palm, coconut oil. Milk of coconut. None of it. Even a little bit. 

I didnt used to eat chips ahoy made with coconut oil ... still dont but I can maybe eat one. I cant stand the smell of most sun tan oil. 

Until recently I hadn't heard of anyone else (except my dad) with it either, but I've spoken to a few people on cruise groups in the last year or so with coconut allergies and intolerances, and also read about a vegan chocolate company recently that switched from using coconut oil to another oil because of the amount of people who were contacting them about coconut intolerances. So I guess it's not as uncommon as you or I thought! 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 4:22 PM, Cruise Junky said:

Incorrect. It’s more like 10% now and that’s just Americans.  

Plus what is the point of putting up percentages of the general population?

Which ethnic group has highest disposal income?

Which ethnic group has seen most increase in cruising?

Cruise lines that adapted did better.

If current supply chain issues affect all cruise lines equally then it is not a competitive issues.

But if one cruise line continue to cater to these lucrative sensitive client group (word of moth referral is 90% deciding factor for this group) than others then you know where this business is going to flow.

Thanks, OP for the heads up.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 12:58 PM, crewsweeper said:

This is an easy work around without going bananas on this board. 

#1) Do your research.  I think RCCL has a special needs desk similar to Carnival's and they will work with you pre cruise.

#2) Just go to the Windjammer, vs MDR.  Lots of vegetable and salad offerings. Don't expect vegan unless requested.  But many gluten free selections should work for you.

well what would CC be without people going bananas on here.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

And what would cc be without the loyal to royal attacking anyone with a complaint. Must be the pax fault etc.  Why attack the poster? Let them have their say. The post you replied to said the OP should have done more research or just ate in WJ. 

I think the vegan menu is something new since covid and not used that much so waiters arent clued in often. I've been given the wrong days vegan menu or had to mostly point to the item. It's not that it's not available, waiters often just arent used to dealing with it. I've learned to bring my app with me if I want something from the vegan menu. Maybe it's also a language issue. Saying the menu item often doesnt work, then I point to it. 

I'm not even a vegan but I like fruit and salads. The regular menu hardly ever has a fruit appetizer. Used to have a fruit plate as I remember but not now. Just dessert. I've even asked for the dessert fruit plate as a appetizer. 

Instead of telling someone they should have researched, let's share ideas here? 

Edited by firefly333

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

And what would cc be without the loyal to royal attacking anyone with a complaint. Must be the pax fault etc. 

Why attack the poster? Let them have their say. The post you replied to said the OP should have done more research or just ate in WJ. 

I think the vegan menu is something new since covid and not used that much so waiters arent clued in often. I've been given the wrong days vegan menu or had to mostly point to the item. It's not that it's not available, waiters often just arent used to dealing with it. It's new. I've learned to being my app with me if I want something from the vegan menu. Maybe it's also a language issue. Saying the menu item often doesnt work, then I point to it. 

I'm not even a vegan but I like fruit and salads. The regular menu hardly ever has a fruit appetizer. Used to have a fruit plate as I remember but not now. Just dessert. I've even asked for the dessert fruit plate as a appetizer. 

Instead of telling someone they should have researched, let's share ideas here? 

And the post I referred to also included several very good suggestions for the OP as well.  What is wrong with doing some research then formulating questions to pose on here.

If vegetarians might need to think of ideas without a menu, perhaps they should start a thread…vegetarian options that have worked well (or might work well) in ship dining rooms.  With a list of inspirations on your phone it might be much easier to come up coming up with an idea when the head waiter is standing there.  

• Like 3

Dh says he had Vegan menu in 2020 on Radiance circumnavigation of Australia,  which was pre-pandemic, so not new.  When you order from menu waiter may have to go to a different galley to pick up order. On Jewel 6 nt before TA, ate on deck 5, Vegan items came from deck 4 galley.  For TA on deck 4, easier for our waiter.  Menu was always on the table when we arrived,  waiting for dh.

20 hours ago, toptoff said:

Thanks for the heads up as one of our party is Vegan. Do you know what they are charging for the drinks package onboard?

Regards

Brian

It was $89.00 buy one get second half price so $133.5 per day. Not sure if that included the 18% gratuity though. Might be cheaper to buy before you go

20 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Dh says he had Vegan menu in 2020 on Radiance circumnavigation of Australia,  which was pre-pandemic, so not new.  When you order from menu waiter may have to go to a different galley to pick up order. On Jewel 6 nt before TA, ate on deck 5, Vegan items came from deck 4 galley.  For TA on deck 4, easier for our waiter.  Menu was always on the table when we arrived,  waiting for dh.

We were told by the Head Waiter that there were no other printed menus other than the standard MDR menus, everything else is on the App.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, LGW59 said:

It explains why the wait staff looks overworked and haggard all the time.  

I’ve found cruise MDR chefs to be totally accommodating and will do their level best to prepare whatever you want, within reason.  But, if you can’t tell them what you want, they can’t guess, either.

2 hours ago, Phils01 said:

It was $89.00 buy one get second half price so $133.5 per day. Not sure if that included the 18% gratuity though. Might be cheaper to buy before you go

Thanks Phil

Regards

Brian

On 6/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, Phils01 said:

We were told by the Head Waiter that there were no other printed menus other than the standard MDR menus, everything else is on the App.

Also just off the Brilliance and not surprised by this.  A generally good cruise but the MDR management was chaotic at best and was the main reason we only ate there twice during the cruise.  I'm assuming they just haven't had a chance to "bed in" due to them only recently taking on passengers again. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:05 AM, Phils01 said:

Just to let you know that on the Brilliance and it maybe fleet wide that there is no actual Menu for Vegetarians, there’s not actually a printed menu for Vegans but there are Vegan options on the App (which is rubbish btw)

I had this out with the Head Waiter in the MDR and was told it was company policy not to have a Vegetarian menu any longer but he could make anything he wanted for us - great so you’ve got to sit there and think up what you’d like to eat there and then whilst everyone else gets a choice, but he didn’t quite get it.

I just think it’s a very poor policy in this day and age.

This post is not a rant but rather a warning to other vegetarians 

btw - I am aware there is 1 veggie option on the menu but it’s not always to our liking (my wife hates mushrooms.. etc…)

I am looking at the RCCL App right now.  There are Vegan options for appetizers, soup, entrees, and desserts for main Dining Room.  Plus, I have heard many times, they will make almost anything you like.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, firefly333 said:

To me, coconut or palm oil are a great laxative......................................

I can't even LOOK at a product with coconut anything in it.  Mental aversion to it based on past history.