Air to Sydney, Australia- Airlines?

nini

We are fairly familiar with our domestic airlines and a member of the "OneWorld" through Alaska Air.

However, international flights are very new to us, having only flown to Europe twice. We have booked a transpacific, departing on March 31, 2023 from Sydney, Australia and docking in San Francisco and the Princess EZAir is now available. When I saw a non-stop on Qantas from SFO to SYD, I booked it in Premium Economy. We can use our miles to fly into SFO and fly home (we live in the Northwest). What are your comments about Qantas and their 787-9? I looked it up on Seat Guru and the comments about this aircraft were very poor, including those for Premium Economy.

Other airlines available are Air New Zealand, ANA All Nippon Airways, Singapore, United. American is also available but after our recent experience with them, they are not on our radar of choices.

Thanks to all.

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Of those you mention, only United and Qantas will be non-stop from SFO. The others will connect somewhere, which might work out for you. How about Air Canada non stop from Vancouver to SYD?

Thanks for your response. Do you have any impressions about Qantas? Flying to SFO is a bit easier as the hotels also cost less. Air Canada does not appear to get positive comments on this board either.

Plus, the non-stop on Qantas from SFO is only about 14.50 hours, and coming from YVR adds about 3-4 more hours in the air.

Thoughts on New Zealand Air?

I've flown QF a few times but never in PE. (Have always been impressed with their service in the forward cabins)

I wouldn't bother wasting miles to get to SFO on AS. Tagging on the short segment is probably negligible cost wise since QF and AS have a ticketing arrangement.

8 minutes ago, fbgd said:

I wouldn't bother wasting miles to get to SFO on AS. Tagging on the short segment is probably negligible cost wise since QF and AS have a ticketing arrangement.

Airlines want you to waste your miles on short redemptions where you get small value for your points.  Don't be blinded by "free" - you are actually spending an alternative currency, and probably at a lousy exchange rate.

Also, why are you limiting yourself to options from Princess?  You could also consider JAL, Korean, Asiana, Cathay, China Airlines (Taiwan), Delta, Virgin Australia, and probably a few more.

30 minutes ago, nini said:

Thanks for your response. Do you have any impressions about Qantas? Flying to SFO is a bit easier as the hotels also cost less. Air Canada does not appear to get positive comments on this board either.

Plus, the non-stop on Qantas from SFO is only about 14.50 hours, and coming from YVR adds about 3-4 more hours in the air.

Premium Economy is a relatively new situation...so no experience. We tend to fly Business or First, Air Canada is fine in those categories, as is Qantas. Better than United. Air New Zealand is better than all of the above in Business, ANA about the same as Air New Zealand. Singapore is the best of the bunch you mention.

• Like 1

I have no experience on Quantas,, but, I have a very well traveled friend who has flown on Quantas to/from Sydney on a 747.  His wife and he were pleased.

I have flown on Air New Zealand from LAX to AKL and on Singapore from Singapore to SFO, both in Business Class, both on a 777.  Both were excellent flights, service and seating comfort was excellent, with Singapore's "Book the Cook" option available for Business Class passengers being unique, at least for me.  (I pre-ordered more than I could eat.)  

Flyertalker suggested other airlines you might want to consider.  Delta does have a non-stop to Sydney.  I have flown on their Delta One product to Europe and South America and was pleased with all aspects of my flights.  

Since you are using Princess air, I suggest that you ask for some Business Class pricing.  The cruise lines often can provide better pricing than one can find by yourself.  

Thank you all for your responses. There is so much wisdom and experience on CC.

1. @FlyerTalker and @fbgd- You have an excellent point of the "miles" for these shorter hops. It does seem to be quite a waste. We do not fly much and they keep threatening to close my account and even did so once. I was quite perturbed and did get it back.

2. In reference to Princess EZAir, we do not have to pay for it until about 90 days out, and who knows what the next world issue will be. However, maybe some policies have changed? I will look into it with regards to some of these airlines.

3. @Gardyloo Thanks for the link. We sat in PE on American (same aircraft) on our flight from DFW to LHR and again on the return flight. We were very pleased, except the food was not do great.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you all for your responses. There is so much wisdom and experience on CC.

1. @FlyerTalker and @fbgd- You have an excellent point of the "miles" for these shorter hops. It does seem to be quite a waste. We do not fly much and they keep threatening to close my account and even did so once. I was quite perturbed and did get it back.

Depending on the program, miles expire from a relatively short time to never.  Depends on the program rules.  If you have a program that expires your miles after a period of inactivity, remember that you can easily keep it "alive" with a small purchase, either through a partner such as a rental car, or by utilizing the airline shopping portal to get a few miles on a purchase you would normally make.

13 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Depending on the program, miles expire from a relatively short time to never.  Depends on the program rules.  If you have a program that expires your miles after a period of inactivity, remember that you can easily keep it "alive" with a small purchase, either through a partner such as a rental car, or by utilizing the airline shopping portal to get a few miles on a purchase you would normally make.

Thanks @FlyerTalker  We have and use our Alaska Visa on a regular basis, but it looks like you are saying to purchase something from the Alaska website?

1 hour ago, nini said:

Thanks @FlyerTalker  We have and use our Alaska Visa on a regular basis, but it looks like you are saying to purchase something from the Alaska website?

If you get AS miles from your credit card, that is sufficient to keep an account "alive".

From the AS terms and conditions:

Mileage Plan Miles do not expire. However, Mileage Plan accounts that are inactive for two years or more are deactivated and must be reactivated in order to access Mileage Plan Miles in such accounts. Activity in an account includes redeeming a Mileage Plan award or accruing mileage in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan program.

A deactivated Mileage Plan account can be reactivated, and any miles in the deactivated account can be reinstated, for up to a year after deactivation. If your Mileage Plan account is locked due to inactivity, simply call customer care to verify your identity, and they’ll reactivate the account for you at no charge. If a deactivated Mileage Plan account is not reactivated within 1 year after deactivation (3 years after your last qualifying activity), it may not be reactivated in the future, and all Mileage Plan miles previously associated with that account will be forfeited.

So, no need to use the portal, though it is an excellent way to get additional points if you are going to use one of their merchants anyhow.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/everyday-partners

Thanks @FlyerTalker! When it had been deactivated, the customer service person was quite snotty and said, "Well, just this once will I re-activate it for free... but not again". Geez

These flight lengths are when it is really worth it to get at least J (Business class).  And using awards is usually the best way to do this.  We've had phenomenal ultra-long-haul flights that way.

We had a looong flight on Singapore and we also had Book the Cook, and that was the best airline food I've ever had.  Yeah, that doesn't necessarily say much.  However, the "braised short ribs" (I forget what it was actually called) would have gotten rave reviews at any top restaurant.  I was glad that I ordered something similar for the second "dinner/lunch" meal.  And for breakfast, I ordered "spicy pancakes", and took a risk, as I hate "hot spicy".  I was having trouble thinking about jalapeno pancakes, and I figured worst case, I'd ask for something else or eat some of the snacks we alway (ALWAYS) keep with us.  Well!  Think pumpkin pie spices!  DELICIOUS!  I wish there had been more.  That was one of the longest flights ever, and yet... it almost ended too soon (IF they had had more short ribs, that is! 🙂 )

Anyway, we flew SIngapore to Singapore, and then on to Auckland.  Yes, a bit "long", but that's all we could get on rather short notice for awards.  (Our awards agent worked really hard to find us something to Auckland and back from Sydney on relatively short notice!). Our favorite is Cathay Pacific, but it's almost impossible now to get two F seats/beds with awards.  We had that luxury a couple of years earlier.

JAL (we flew them to Tokyo on a different trip) was also terrific, and I've heard excellent reports about ANA.  They are 'on our list' (if Covid ever allows us to travel again, ahem).

I wouldn't fly any US-based airline if we could get a top international carrier.

There are no doubt others here who have  more comparisons as well.

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Our favorite is Cathay Pacific, but it's almost impossible now to get two F seats/beds with awards.  We had that luxury a couple of years earlier.

Cathay does not make two award seats available in first class.

We flew MCO-ATL-LAX-SYD and back on Virgin Australia, Triple 7, booked though Princess Air.  Princess air worked with us to get the connections correct for Summer flying in the US South where PM thunderstorms can compromise schedules.  Business class was comfortable even on this long flight LAX-SYD.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

They used to.

Our first trip with them, about 5 years ago, we had two of the F seats.  Now we know we won't have that pleasure again.

It was amazing.  I genuinely would have been happy to fly back and forth, although I suspect the novelty would have worn off soon enough...

On the most recent flight, mid-December, 2019, we had one F, and a J immediately behind in the little mini-J cabin.  That cabin was full.  F was empty except for our one seat (slight possibility there was someone else sleeping quietly the entire time... can't be sure there wasn't).

Presumably they could have had someone else give them the money or use up awards for "our" J seat, and collected more points from us as well, by allowing us to use the extra awards to get another F seat.

So they are indeed really strict about it now, it seems, but I'm not sure why when the last minute situation may have allowed them to sell another J by letting us move to F (paying the regular, full amount of awards, etc.).

But they get to make the rules, obviously!

That first time, we also held an F and a J.  And as our awards agent said *might* happen, about 2 weeks before departure, a second F opened up and we got it.  Not the most recent time, alas.  And it seems maybe never again.  Too bad.  At least we had that luxury together one time. 🙂 

(The flight was between the same two cities each time.)

He had warned us that we were unlikely to get that last minute second F the most recent time, and unfortunately, he was correct.

GC

On 6/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, nini said:

If your flying out of YVR I would just go with Air Canada or the Qantas non-stop when it is offered. Qantas is seasonal in YVR.   New Zealand I believe is also restarting YVR.   Air Canada is on part with the other North American airlines for international travel.

Connecting International to International at a US airport is painful.  

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:
12 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Our favorite is Cathay Pacific, but it's almost impossible now to get two F seats/beds with awards.  We had that luxury a couple of years earlier.

And for the foreseeable future, there are bigger problems with booking on Cathay Pacific in any event.

• 2 weeks later...

Premium Economy with QANTAS is a pleasant comfortable experience and the service is very good, don’t imagine you’ll be unhappy at all. Considering the current difference in fares between Premium and Business I’m very happy on QF in Premium. 

I recently booked Perth London in Premium on the 787 which is a horribly long flight. 
Id rather take QANTAS than Singapore or Air NZ in Premium. I would say the comfort level is much higher. 
Have no personal experience with the US carriers in Premium, although I often hear good first hand reports about American and United. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all. We booked Premium Economy from SFO to Auckland (3 hour layover) then to Sydney; on Air New Zealand which t $1600.00 less than Qantas. For us, the inconvenience of the stop in Auckland is outweighed by the savings.

@RW75 For now, we are staying away from American Airlines.

• Like 2

Nini, that’s a huge saving.  You’ll enjoy NZ, three hours in AKL will fly by.  Nice airport to transit and you happen to hold Star Alliance status the NZ lounge is very nice. Otherwise you’ll find great coffee and be on your way to Aus in no time.