Important: Pack Cough Syrup (suppressent)

MudderBear

6 hours ago, Av8tor said:

Pretty sure the ship's store has cold meds you can buy.  Probably pricy, but as a last resort could be an option.

They do but they are pricey and they have been known to run out of them especially (pre-covid) on longer cruises when the cruise crud spreads. 

• Like 1

I'm in the be prepared camp.  We've carted a self-made sea sickness kit on every cruise for years and only had to use it once.  We figure having it was the reason we didn't need it.  Same with cold/cough and tummy remedies.  Check expiration dates and replace as needed.

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Av8tor said:

Pretty sure the ship's store has cold meds you can buy.  Probably pricy, but as a last resort could be an option.

Nope.  They didn't have cough suppressent.  They had things like Advil, etc.,

On 6/6/2022 at 8:27 PM, broker1217 said:

With all due respect, colds are caused by viruses and not caused by being chilled or being in a draft.

They are caused by germs--most probably passed by other passengers.

But always good advice to travel with basic OTC meds--as well as mask up and wash your hands frequently. And obviously take appropriate hats/scarves etc. when in Alaska to keep yourself comfortable.

You sound like my husband.  Look, for what it's worth....for over sixty years, if the left side of my neck, or my ears or even the top of my head is in a draft for an extended period of time, I catch a cold.  I've been married over 35 years and my husband still insists I am wrong.......but it happens to me all the time.  I even sleep with a scarf around my neck to keep it wrong.  I golf in the heat with my neck covered.....so, it might go against science but it is how my body works.

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

It’s available for purchase in the medical center.

At extremely high prices. 
Last time was $35 for a very small bottle. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:34 AM, Av8tor said:

On Sky in April there was a notice in the shop stating all cough / cold medicines were only available at the medical centre.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, MudderBear said:

You sound like my husband.  Look, for what it's worth....for over sixty years, if the left side of my neck, or my ears or even the top of my head is in a draft for an extended period of time, I catch a cold.  I've been married over 35 years and my husband still insists I am wrong.......but it happens to me all the time.  I even sleep with a scarf around my neck to keep it wrong.  I golf in the heat with my neck covered.....so, it might go against science but it is how my body works.

Same here...I understand that the cold itself is caused by germs, but the cold weakens your body's defense against the germs and your immune system has a harder time fighting them off.  It's why whenever I am sick, I sweat it out with warm clothes and blankets for a day.  One day of sweat and the next day I am better.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 9:04 PM, tonit964 said:

Exactly!

Hence the name Rhinovirus. It amazes me how many people say they got sick from going to bed with wet hair or being out in the cold.

Right, I just had a friend tell me she can't sit under a fan because she will get sick.  🙄

• Like 1

The train cars are fully enclosed but apparently were quite air conditioned, based on what the op said. 

I believe you can still buy cough meds onboard, but you must ask for them, so they can track who is sick and test them. 

I have used the new cough pills, and they’re so much easier to take than the liquid and do work. 👍