On Celebrity Equinox quarantined in my cabin with Covid

Flyonby

2 hours ago, DevilinaBluDress said:

That's a great list of meds to bring along. I'd add to bring your own thermometer and Oximeter plus lots of soft tissues.  

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a HAL trip to Alaska, had symptoms but not Covid (many, many tests that week were all negative). I was finally diagnosed with pneumonia the day before we disembarked.  My nose was so sore from the rough tissues and paper towels offered by medical staff that  I resorted to putting chapstick on my nose for relief.  Another challenge was cough drops.  In Skagway, I tried to find ANY.  The ones I found and bought officially expired pre-pandemic.  So, be sure to bring those along, too.

Believe it or not, I'm going back to Alaska on the 19th Eclipse sailing (a barnacle reschedule) and I may need to bring a little sign - "cough is from pneumonia, not covid", if it is still present.  

-Molly

I always travel with a thermometer and soft tissues so I didn't think to add that to my covid list!

I have an Oximeter that I forgot to bring which would have been comforting. I also reger not bringing more covid tests. We took a home test before we left. Took the PCR 2 days prior at Quest, and took our last home tests on board when we became suspicious of our symptoms. I would have liked to do a few more home tests the last few days to see if they might go negative. Celebrity will administer a PCR on day 5 after positive which is very sensitive, in fact the CDC says can show positive up to 90 days after infection. I just want to know I'm not endangering others when we drive home. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villauk said:

Yes, the same. Optician told me that it’s related to blue eyes and fair skin.

Perhaps for some.  I have brown hair and well....not light skin.  I sneeze every time I walk into bright light from an inside location.  However, unlike others in this thread, one good hard sneeze is usually all I need.

Sorry this happened to you.  I was supposed to be on the Eclipse last week, but Covid cancelled that.  (My silver lining was that I was able to be a poll worker with a nice group of people).  

I'm one of those people that coughs a lot anyway, and I do groups of sneezes.  At one job, they said they could set the clock by my morning sneezing fit.  And I get sunshine sneezes.

Here's hoping your first PCR is negative.

And I took a PCR right after my first negative antigen, and it too was negative.

14 hours ago, cangelmd said:

The sneezing reflex as Tee described is a genetic trait and I don’t know if it is at all affected or related to skin eye color. Probably more accurate for me to say that my fair skin and blue green eyes are very sensitive to bright sunlight, especially coming out from a dark room, and one way I show it is by sneezing.

I am of Italian heritage and although my hair is gray now, I used to have dark brown hair and brown eyes.  So did my dad.  Sneezing fits were common for him too.  Yes the light sets me off, but I can have a sneezing fit for other reasons too- not really understood.  It just happens.  My DW counts my sneezes.  Usually around 20-25 in a row!  When this happens in public I make a quick exit for the nearest restroom if I am able.  And of course always prepared with tissues at all times.  It has happened on a plane with the seatbelt sign illuminated and I could not get to the restroom.  Others around me think I am sick or just crazy!  Wearing a mask is no help- did you ever sneeze 20+ times in a mask? 😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moneeman said:

Perhaps for some.  I have brown hair and well....not light skin.  I sneeze every time I walk into bright light from an inside location.  However, unlike others in this thread, one good hard sneeze is usually all I need.

Lucky you stop at 1 sneeze!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, latserrof said:

OP Flyonby, thanks for your report.

FWIW,  others in quarantine have reported that they were allowed to order food from the specialty restaurants too.

I  was  in quarantine on APEX from  May 12 - 22 and food options were   Room Service  and the MDR.  

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am of Italian heritage and although my hair is gray now, I used to have dark brown hair and brown eyes.  So did my dad.  Sneezing fits were common for him too.  Yes the light sets me off, but I can have a sneezing fit for other reasons too- not really understood.  It just happens.  My DW counts my sneezes.  Usually around 20-25 in a row!  When this happens in public I make a quick exit for the nearest restroom if I am able.  And of course always prepared with tissues at all times.  It has happened on a plane with the seatbelt sign illuminated and I could not get to the restroom.  Others around me think I am sick or just crazy!  Wearing a mask is no help- did you ever sneeze 20+ times in a mask? 😀

My mom had sneezing fits like that, usually not related to light, and without a runny nose, she also had dark hair and eyes - we looked nothing alike. My sunlight sneezes are only a couple.

Never thought the world would be totally obsessed with sneezing

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

My mom had sneezing fits like that, usually not related to light, and without a runny nose, she also had dark hair and eyes - we looked nothing alike. My sunlight sneezes are only a couple.

Never thought the world would be totally obsessed with sneezing

Yes COVID has changed what we are obsessed with!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2022 at 11:57 AM, Flyonby said:

I am positive we didn't get it on the ship! But I am sure there are others running around with it. I am very thankful that none of us are feeling any worse than mild cold. 

We have a contact, Salvatore, who has been very helpful with food so far. We are able to get food not just from room service, but also from the main dining room and the buffet. Trying the buffet option for lunch today

I feel sorry for you being quarantined but "none of us are feeling any worse than mild cold" is how I feel about these tests.   Have you ever cruised with a mild cold in the past?   Have you ever been at work going about your day with a mild cold?   Did you ever quarantine with a mild cold?   You have been vaccinated and a booster, wearing a mask.    I just think the CDC is taking this a bit too far.   You just lost out on a wonderful cruise.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Have you ever been at work going about your day with a mild cold?

Yes but probably shouldn't have.  I think we all understand infectious diseases better now.   Please don't be wandering around the ship or on excursions with any infectious disease including a "mild cold".   You could be ruining vacation of many others.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes but probably shouldn't have.  I think we all understand infectious diseases better now.   Please don't be wandering around the ship or on excursions with any infectious disease including a "mild cold".   You could be ruining vacation of many others.

Infectious disease would be more on the line of a norovirus or flu.   We actually need to be around these common colds to help strengthen our immune systems.   Ever heard of the saying "eat dirt"?  Exactly!  Get those immune systems working on their own and let's eliminate the mental anxiety that humans seem to have acquired these days.

• Like 6

On 6/8/2022 at 7:50 AM, TeeRick said:

Funny you should mention this!  I am a person that has sneezing fits.  Maybe 20 in a row!  I have photic sneeze reflex which is a genetic trait.  Sneeze in strong light or sunlight.  Embarrassing to say the least and now in the COVID age I am viewed as the devil when it happens.😈

Thanks  --  I now know what causes my sneezes in the sun or bright light...
I only sneeze 2 & rarely 3 @ a time, as a rule...

However, my sneezes are huge and generally catch me by surprise...
Most times I am able to cover my face 🙂

I'll have to look into more info on the photic sneeze reflex...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

I feel sorry for you being quarantined but "none of us are feeling any worse than mild cold" is how I feel about these tests.   Have you ever cruised with a mild cold in the past?   Have you ever been at work going about your day with a mild cold?   Did you ever quarantine with a mild cold?   You have been vaccinated and a booster, wearing a mask.    I just think the CDC is taking this a bit too far.   You just lost out on a wonderful cruise.

I'm with you, Lovin, 100%.  We must all vax and boost and get on with it.  We cannot protect those that choose to not vax and boost - they must protect themselves as they deem fit.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DevilinaBluDress said:

That's a great list of meds to bring along. I'd add to bring your own thermometer and Oximeter plus lots of soft tissues...

-Molly

Molly  --  we have been packing Kleenex brand tissues (large box) as we travel for years!!!

I always make room for it in my bag, even if I have to eliminate something else - this allows room to pack something extra home 🙂

If we are traveling somewhere we know we will be able to buy Kleenex, on the first day - we will wait to buy vs. packing...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

I'm with you, Lovin, 100%.  We must all vax and boost and get on with it.  We cannot protect those that choose to not vax and boost - they must protect themselves as they deem fit.  

I understand your frustration and we all wish this was just a bad memory, but for many it just is not.  There are those that cannot protect themselves and have to hope that the community around them will step up.  I, for one, am immunocompromised.  I just left Mayo Clinic for treatment and have to hope that the world around me will help me to make it to another day.  I am looking forward to my cruise in the fall and enjoying everyday planning and taking it.  Thank you in advance for looking out for me and others like me.

• Like 13

34 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I understand your frustration and we all wish this was just a bad memory, but for many it just is not.  There are those that cannot protect themselves and have to hope that the community around them will step up.  I, for one, am immunocompromised.  I just left Mayo Clinic for treatment and have to hope that the world around me will help me to make it to another day.  I am looking forward to my cruise in the fall and enjoying everyday planning and taking it.  Thank you in advance for looking out for me and others like me.

I of course appreciate your situation - and you are self aware, exercising self reliance, you are taking precautions to protect yourself such as masking, vaxxing, boosting, avoiding crowds.  We are at a stage with this virus where the impacts have diminished in intensity if one is vaxxed and boosted.  This is not March of 2020.  Much is known.  And thus, life has appropriately, for most, moved on.  What the cruise lines are doing is not commensurate with any other form of travel.  People are not tested before going to an all-inclusive resort or well, you name it.  The vast majority of people that now test positive for covid, as long as you are vaxxed and boosted, have minor cold symptoms if any symptoms at all,  and are able to continue on with their normal daily functionality.  But because it's covid, they are treated like pariahs - on cruise ships.  Pariahs which are carrying some deadly plague - even though how odd, they have a sore throat and not much more if anything at all.  Economically, the model cruise lines are following is not sustainable.  And I won't get started about the test required to fly back to the US - law abiding US citizens are not allowed to fly home to their own country if testing positive incurring thousands of dollars - or their travel insurance is incurring the expense or a cruise line.  No other western country is testing to fly in.  OK, so I got started, I'll stop with that.  But in any case, you are taking care of yourself, as you do need to do.  Covid is most transmissible when the person who has it, has no symptoms - they may in fact never have any symptoms.  And the majority of the population, if vaxxed and boosted, if they get it, will be totally fine.  You are doing what you need to do to protect yourself from those that have it and unknowingly pass it on to you - because it is that mild.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

I of course appreciate your situation - and you are self aware, exercising self reliance, you are taking precautions to protect yourself such as masking, vaxxing, boosting, avoiding crowds.  We are at a stage with this virus where the impacts have diminished in intensity if one is vaxxed and boosted.  This is not March of 2020.  Much is known.  And thus, life has appropriately, for most, moved on.  What the cruise lines are doing is not commensurate with any other form of travel.  People are not tested before going to an all-inclusive resort or well, you name it.  The vast majority of people that now test positive for covid, as long as you are vaxxed and boosted, have minor cold symptoms if any symptoms at all,  and are able to continue on with their normal daily functionality.  But because it's covid, they are treated like pariahs - on cruise ships.  Pariahs which are carrying some deadly plague - even though how odd, they have a sore throat and not much more if anything at all.  Economically, the model cruise lines are following is not sustainable.  And I won't get started about the test required to fly back to the US - law abiding US citizens are not allowed to fly home to their own country if testing positive incurring thousands of dollars - or their travel insurance is incurring the expense or a cruise line.  No other western country is testing to fly in.  OK, so I got started, I'll stop with that.  But in any case, you are taking care of yourself, as you do need to do.  Covid is most transmissible when the person who has it, has no symptoms - they may in fact never have any symptoms.  And the majority of the population, if vaxxed and boosted, if they get it, will be totally fine.  You are doing what you need to do to protect yourself from those that have it and unknowingly pass it on to you - because it is that mild.

So, to be clear, your contention is that someone with covid aboard a ship should not have to quarantine or engage in any other precautions to prevent spreading it to others?  They should be free to participate in all shipboard activities and anyone who feels threatened by them shouldn't cruise?   Or, perhaps I am misunderstanding...

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, peanut head said:

I totally understand.....I had a child with Cystic Fibrosis who had a double lung transplant at age 18.  I know all about being immunocompromised.  It was our responsibility to protect ourselves: wear a mask, not eat in public self serve restaurants, no gardening, no changing cat litter or picking up dog feces....and  the list goes on.   What I am trying to say and not offend anyone is that we cannot proceed to live in a bubble fearful, testing constantly at the first sniffle, wearing masks thinking we helping our community and our immune systems.  We can certainly help the immunocompromised but unless we know you are ill with letters written across your shirt, we would have to assume you are o.k.  Are we o.k.?  Heck no!  We walk around with sinus infections, allergies sniffing and coughing, come to work with low grade fevers (not good), cancer treatments that rip our bodies apart, smokers with coughs, kidney disease, Cystic Fibrosis, etc.   

Sorry folks, I just drank too much caffeine and I veered a bit off my main topic 😅   I guess it still stems from my experience of child care w/CF and double lung transplant.  I have endured 21 years of education about germs, viruses and how the immune system works with Johns Hopkins and Duke Medical Hospital.  You know what they all say is the end game?    Enjoy life, Live as Normal as Possible and Don't let Fear Interfere!   God Bless all you cruisers! 🛥️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, lexmiller said:

If Long Covid didn't exist, vaxxed or not,  I am sure a lot of us would feel a lot differently about quarantine, it's such a lottery on that one. Happy sailing! ❤️ 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lunesse said:
2 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

I totally understand.....I had a child with Cystic Fibrosis who had a double lung transplant at age 18.  I know all about being immunocompromised.  It was our responsibility to protect ourselves: wear a mask, not eat in public self serve restaurants, no gardening, no changing cat litter or picking up dog feces....and  the list goes on.   What I am trying to say and not offend anyone is that we cannot proceed to live in a bubble fearful, testing constantly at the first sniffle, wearing masks thinking we helping our community and our immune systems.  We can certainly help the immunocompromised but unless we know you are ill with letters written across your shirt, we would have to assume you are o.k.  Are we o.k.?  Heck no!  We walk around with sinus infections, allergies sniffing and coughing, come to work with low grade fevers (not good), cancer treatments that rip our bodies apart, smokers with coughs, kidney disease, Cystic Fibrosis, etc.   

Sorry folks, I just drank too much caffeine and I veered a bit off my main topic 😅   I guess it still stems from my experience of child care w/CF and double lung transplant.  I have endured 21 years of education about germs, viruses and how the immune system works with Johns Hopkins and Duke Medical Hospital.  You know what they all say is the end game?    Enjoy life, Live as Normal as Possible and Don't let Fear Interfere!   God Bless all you cruisers! 🛥️

So very well put and thank you for sharing your personal experience.  THIS is what I'm talking about.  Life goes on.  My daughter, BTW, has cerebral palsy, not at all the same health concerns you have experienced, but, well, you know, I understand the heartache. So well put, SO MANY PEOPLE ARE LETTING FEAR INTERFERE!!!!! I love how you put that.  This madness has got to stop.  

• Like 1