The Daily for Wednesday 06/08/2022

richwmn

Today is Best Friends Day, Thomas Paine Day, and World Ocean Day

So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.--Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook

Meal Suggestion for today - Sausage Spinach Calzones
Drink of the Day - Black Beauty
Wine of the Day - caliterra sauvignon blane, chile
Destination of the Day - Douglas, Isle of Man, United Kingdom

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 06/10
Oosterdam   Destination Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece eta 06/09

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00

Juneau, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   10:00 - 22:00

Molde, Norway

Rotterdam   10:00 - 23:00

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska

Eurodam   08:00 - 16:00

Skagway, Alaska

Noordam   07:00 - 21:00

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada

Zaandam   08:00 - 17:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Seattle, WA

Westerdam  

0608World.thumb.png.194246ae72bd77b6216c6f6253ba7dad.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from the Oosterdam at sea!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Craig says hi and thank goodness he is out of quarantine. Yeah!

I have several posts on yesterday’s Daily about a rescue if anyone is interested. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day!

We had a lot of rain yesterday, but it's sunny now.🙂

Interesting days.  I'm letting my best friend sleep in.  I don't know much about Thomas Paine.  Oceans are very important, let's look after them.

The meal sounds good.  I hope the drink is tasty, I know I'll like the wine.

We haven't been to today's port, looking forward to seeing lots of pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily.Rich.  I love all 3 of the days but find the quote a bit strange.  I don't think I've been to the Isle of Man.  I'd be delighted if the Daily stays just as it is after Sunday.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Carmelized Orange and Grapefruit Cocktail, and Pan Roasted Barbary Duck Breast as served on MS Prinsendam June 8, 2015/

Today’s care list:

segarsmoker’s Uncle Gary with heart bypass surgery 6/8/22
Cruzin Terri with worsening health problems
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine but feeling better
From the rotation:
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

4 Days for Westerdam
Oosterdam on a yacht rescue

Vict0riann barium swallow behind her
Sharon DH Craig out of quarantine
36 years for Himself
Dfish productively following discharge instructions
Kochleffel starting to feel better
Bon Voyage travelingbums (Jewel of the Seas, June 8-20)
3 days for Oceansaway17(Allure OTS 6/11 to 6/18)
4 days for Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)
5 days for VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
StPeteCruiser (Ineuw Statendam to 6/10), Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  @richwmn I think that the current format works.  I consider it an evolution of the fleet report.  I would certainly understand if it shifted back.  Maybe a virtual group celebration when the Westerdam sets sail with passengers.

Today’s meal suggestion would need a substitute for the spinach.  I’ll look for @dfish recipes for ideas since I do like calzones.  It’s a rainy day here and more coming tomorrow.  The plants definitely need the water.

I’m seeing reports elsewhere that several cruises are being cancelled or having their sail dates change.  We still have to be vigilant with our bookings.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 27

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Isle of Man, United Kingdom

For a port call at Cannes in 2018, I arranged a DIY excursion to the Chapelle du Rosaire (Matisse Chapel) at Vence. Typical excursions don't go there, partly because of lack of parking for large vehicles.

Two of our group were from the Isle of Man and they were very firm in explaining that the Isle of Man is not part of England, has its own currency, etc. It is formally not part of the United Kingdom, being a Crown Dependency like Guernsey and Jersey. Nevertheless, in the car-rental office, the fourth member of our group, who spoke better French than I do, was talking with the agent while waiting for the paperwork to go through. The agent asked where we were from, and she explained that she and I were American, but said that the two Manxwomen were English. Fortunately, they either didn't hear or didn't understand.

I don't have any photos of the Chapelle, but here's one from its own website.

1819524719_ChapelleduRosaire.thumb.jpg.0a2b1e02a23ba38a46b7002902fdd5e2.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon.

It is sunny now and 60°F but it has been raining for several hours.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Ocean day should be every day for all of our benefit.

I often have a meat Calzone when eating in our favourite Italian restaurant.

Sauvignon Blanc is a lovely wine of the day.

Isle of Man has some nice golf courses and the TT motorcycle 🏍️ race is well known.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Pleased so many are getting back on cruises.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220608_121155.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another glorious morning here, though a few degrees warmer than yesterday. A mani-pedi for me today, and then dinner with friends at a new Italian restaurant at the beach. They make pizza with focaccia bread crust. 🤔

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! @dfish, Debbie love how well you are recovering & sleeping. @ger_77 Gerry, our pollen has been the worst of the 7 Springs I have been here.  We have three different Live Oak varieties and they all “sprout” at different times. And to make it worse, our 10 days of Winter were split up, so our leaves sprouted, then lost their leaves AGAIN two more times. My pool enclosure screens were green!

Just something silly to hopefully bring a smile to your face…

8465A5F3-C7BB-4ED3-A89E-8DA996CEEE0C.jpeg.2c176dcdcfee228147e4f6adf2aeba6f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Caliterra sauvignon blanc, Chile

A very elusive wine. I used the info from the 2019 vintage, since it had a few Canadian online distributors. Might be a good House SB, though it is hard to compete with those amazing New Zealand SBs.  Good-very good ratings with prices starting at S11.47. 

Natalie's Score: 89/100

The winery owns 1085 hectares or 2681 acres of land of which 75% is untouched land. Cool nights and gentle breezes temper the sun's heat. A terrific, amazing wine for the money. A grassy, herbal, fresh, zesty Chilean white wine made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes. Very well priced for the quality. These grapes are grown in one of the country's cool climate regions. Errazuriz owns 50% of this winery. Aromas of tomato leaf and lime zest on the finish. Pair with fresh seafood.

Sauvignon Blanc food pairings: shellfish, grilled chicken or pork.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Westerdam returns to passenger service on Sunday.

What, if any, changes should be made to this report when that happens?

We should make champagne the wine du jour. 😉
We have to celebrate!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Prayers and a positive outcome for my Uncle Gary who is at the hospital in Inverness, Fl having triple bypass heart surgery today. 

Prayers winging their way! For Uncle Gary & the entire family.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

DH has been my best friend for 44 years.  I will gladly celebrate our oceans. It is amazing how the ocean looks different from day to day.  Never tire of watching it.

I like calzone, looking forward to the recipe.

Have not been to todays port.

We have a rocket launch today. Weather right now is favorable.

Yikes! I was shocked at the price of our travel insurance. But have to have it! I had postponed getting it because wasnt sure if ports would be open, be safe to go etc.   Oh well, so I believe I have everything booked for our fall trip, hotel, flights, insurance, some excursions. 

Water aerobics this morning.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 26

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I have been to the Isle of Man twice, both times connected with land trips to Scotland. I remember riding the train and getting to visit the Manx cats sanctuary. Stayed at the Sefton hotel in the promenade.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone!

It is a beautiful morning here in northeast Ohio.  I will enjoy it when I head out for my morning laps.  Tim is coming over to replace the railing on the back deck this morning, so I have to wait for his arrival before I hit the circuit.  

@seagarsmoker Prayers for Uncle Gary.

@cat shepard I am one who never had the patience to be sick.  When I had surgery 20 years ago they were amazed at how quickly I recovered.  When I went to get the stitches out the doctor said they were still talking about me and how quickly I rebounded.  I wanted to go home.

Today's meal is a good one.  @Crazy For Cats you can substitute mushrooms, peppers and onions, or any combination you think you'd like.  Recipes are ideas and framework.  You make it yours.  We'll start with this one from Taste of Home.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sausage-spinach-calzones/

985243329_sausagespinachcalzone1.jpg.9ba2eaa065efbcf8cd352cfde10a3e3b.jpg

Betty Crocker has different seasoning in her versionhttps://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/spinach-ricotta-and-sausage-calzones/a832a9ce-78c2-4ee3-8e0e-7d131bcbe942

1389506024_sausagespinachcalzone2.jpg.7bca1940b9db7f8060adb31629d5d2b4.jpg

The addition of nutmeg in this one sounds interesting.  https://everydaydishes.com/simple-food-recipes/dinner-recipes/sausage-spinach-calzones/

677560660_sausagespinachcalzone3.thumb.jpg.cf40baa2b3a60dfcbc36997d25f0372f.jpg

This one uses chicken sausage and includes tomatoes in the filling.  https://www.thelittleepicurean.com/2014/10/sausage-spinach-calzones.html

1597689831_sausagespinachcalzone4.thumb.jpg.c7fd0c8328f7715b8204b352d4f3beaf.jpg

Paula Deen adds in mushrooms and sundried tomato pesto.   https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/sausage-spinach-and-mushroom-calzones-recipe/

1540290857_sausagespinachcalzone5.jpg.4d4258ca88adb0baa06bad91d0fbdd51.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members struggling with challenges.   Cheers for those who are celebrating and may we all join that list in a quick hurry!   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Prayers and a positive outcome for my Uncle Gary who is at the hospital in Inverness, Fl having triple bypass heart surgery today. 

Sending Gary our prayers 🙏 and best wishes from England.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily reports!   Prayers for all on Roy's care list and prayers for @seagarsmoker DB for his successful surgery today.  

Less time on the internet has had a positive effect. Instead of sitting with my laptop on my lap I am reading much more.  I am enjoying River of Darkness about Pizarro's failed search for gold but the first European exploration of the Amazon River. They started in Quito and some ended at the Atlantic in 1541-2. 

Have a great day. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1