Men's "average day" Dinner Attire.

jchipgcs

28 minutes ago, Asquare said:

Oh boy!  We just got off a two week Encore cruise.  Warm weather cruise.  This look was  totally appropriate and was worn mostly by guys from warmer climates…including my husband…Miami, Australia, California & Texas.  While I never saw it in The Restaurant, it showed up just about everywhere else.  I think it degrades the look to call it Tommy Bahama…the shirt is a traditional Cuban shirt called a guayabera shirt and can/is be worn to formal events.  My dad, who owned multiple tuxes and loved to get dressed up, wore these all summer long, to church, weddings & dining out.  It’s taken a while to get my husband in them because he likes to keep his shirt tucked in… but he’s coming around!  😉  

Is this what you are talking about?  We've always called it a Mexican Wedding Shirt:  https://www.cubavera.com/products/camp-collar-embroidered-guayabera-white-cuws8060ds-115?variant=29783244734509&&rmatt=tsid:|cid:17305469486|agid:|tid:|crid:|nw:x|rnd:14927762466533408105|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1026855&gclid=CjwKCAjwkYGVBhArEiwA4sZLuCUhrMuPhLlOMI7etcJvlTNmb36lNYJX7WBfi9_UuNNV4NQnAPpP-hoCeqQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We are Texans, from a very warm climate.  We have seen these worn in very casual settings--usually worn by older men. 

I want to make it clear that I don't see this topic as a reason to attack each other or get into a snit.  It's just a difference of opinion that can be discussed.   I have never seen these shirts worn to a formal event.  If they are indeed worn, the event is not formal.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

We're recently back from a month on Odyssey on a combined Caribbean and Panama Canal crossing itinerary.  Our first experience on Seabourn - so no history to compare before to now.  In my opinion, the look would be fine in the MDR on a non-Formal Optional night.  I remember seeing a few men in the MDR dressed similarly and never thought a thing about it - they all looked very nice.  It seemed to me the open collar dress shirt with appropriate trousers and a sport coat seem to be the most common - but there was always a good number of suits and sport coats with ties.  I did a mix of sport coat with and without a tie - but I am very comfortable with that and my wife likes it when I dress up a little.  Never did notice anyone who was "poorly" dressed in the MDR - and for that matter in any other venue for dinner.  

Edited by phil09
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Is this what you are talking about?  We've always called it a Mexican Wedding Shirt:  https://www.cubavera.com/products/camp-collar-embroidered-guayabera-white-cuws8060ds-115?variant=29783244734509&&rmatt=tsid:|cid:17305469486|agid:|tid:|crid:|nw:x|rnd:14927762466533408105|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1026855&gclid=CjwKCAjwkYGVBhArEiwA4sZLuCUhrMuPhLlOMI7etcJvlTNmb36lNYJX7WBfi9_UuNNV4NQnAPpP-hoCeqQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We are Texans, from a very warm climate.  We have seen these worn in very casual settings--usually worn by older men. 

I want to make it clear that I don't see this topic as a reason to attack each other or get into a snit.  It's just a difference of opinion that can be discussed.   I have never seen these shirts worn to a formal event.  If they are indeed worn, the event is not formal.  

Yes, that's a guayabera.  It originated in Cuba but it's popular in Mexico too.  The "Tommy Bahama" ones are an evolution of that called a camp shirt.  The nicer ones are generally silk and some with intricate embroidery.  I've picked up a few in the past, limited edition ones they put out that are quite expensive.  I'm in Florida, so we love them.  No we don't wear them to truly formal things but I tend to avoid truly formal things.  I've told my mother if she wants her funeral in a church that expects me in a suit, I'm not attending.  😇

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jchipgcs said:

Yes, that's a guayabera.  It originated in Cuba but it's popular in Mexico too.  The "Tommy Bahama" ones are an evolution of that called a camp shirt.  The nicer ones are generally silk and some with intricate embroidery.  I've picked up a few in the past, limited edition ones they put out that are quite expensive.  I'm in Florida, so we love them.  No we don't wear them to truly formal things but I tend to avoid truly formal things.  I've told my mother if she wants her funeral in a church that expects me in a suit, I'm not attending.  😇

Florida, I think, shares a clothing aesthetic with Southern California---very casual.  I'm sure the silk shirts with embroidery are lovely.  They truly fit a particular (upscale) lifestyle in certain locales.  It's just a different way of dressing from what many are used to.  This is not a criticism.  I doubt that the staff on SB is going to turn you away from the MDR if you wear this--in fact, I know they won't.  It's just not what many SB guests picture as appropriate. That is my point.  Not meant to be insulting or snobby.  Just an observation.  We all have our perspectives--and unless SB is specific and stands behind their written dress code, there will be many variations.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Florida, I think, shares a clothing aesthetic with Southern California---very casual.  I'm sure the silk shirts with embroidery are lovely.  They truly fit a particular (upscale) lifestyle in certain locales.  It's just a different way of dressing from what many are used to.  This is not a criticism.  I doubt that the staff on SB is going to turn you away from the MDR if you wear this--in fact, I know they won't.  It's just not what many SB guests picture as appropriate. That is my point.  Not meant to be insulting or snobby.  Just an observation.  We all have our perspectives--and unless SB is specific and stands behind their written dress code, there will be many variations.  

Thanks for the extra comments on that.  It's AOK with me that people have different aesthetics be they regionally or culturally influenced.  I just wanted to know if what I generally wear, that I am comfortable in would work.  If my Tommy Bahama shirt makes them clutch their pearls when I walk in the room.  Well.  I don't really care.  Now can we debate my open toed slide sandals?  🙂  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jchipgcs said:

Thanks for the extra comments on that.  It's AOK with me that people have different aesthetics be they regionally or culturally influenced.  I just wanted to know if what I generally wear, that I am comfortable in would work.  If my Tommy Bahama shirt makes them clutch their pearls when I walk in the room.  Well.  I don't really care.  Now can we debate my open toed slide sandals?  🙂  🤷‍♂️

I like you!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LMB01 said:

I like you!

I could tell from your comments I liked you too.  Wait.  Are we bonding here?  LOL   Come on my sailing.  I might need backup.  😮

• Like 1

I am pleased to have finally solved the mystery of what is a Tommy Bahama shirt.  I got wife-beater top some time ago.  I enjoy our different ways of describing items of clothing - pants is no. 1  for getting misunderstood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, LMB01 said:

We have been on 2 hot weather cruises since the first of the year

this look is absolutely fine

to some, you will be “dressed up”

at E &O dinners, we saw shorts or jeans with flip flops or sneakers

We are doing a Med cruise in a few week. My husband doesn’t mind wearing a sport coat and dress shirt on formal night but the Tommy Bahama look is a fave of ours. We even went to a wedding in Florida where the groom and groomsmen wore this kind of attire. Curious on the shorts/jeans at the colonnade and Earth and Ocean. We were planning on just eating in our cabin if we didn’t want to dress up after a long touring day. Also curious about menus offered en-suite?  The Restaurant seems to have the most options. 

11 hours ago, jchipgcs said:

OK, I'll enter the fray here.  My husband wears sandals all the time and on our last Seabourn cruise (pre-pandemic) he wore them to dinner in the Restaurant until one day (towards the end of our 16 night cruise) the hostess noticed and told him sandals were not allowed.  Why is it OK for women to wear sandals in The Restaurant but not men? 

Jackie

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jsiegel said:

OK, I'll enter the fray here.  My husband wears sandals all the time and on our last Seabourn cruise (pre-pandemic) he wore them to dinner in the Restaurant until one day (towards the end of our 16 night cruise) the hostess noticed and told him sandals were not allowed.  Why is it OK for women to wear sandals in The Restaurant but not men? 

Jackie

Maybe because we, women, get pedicures and our toes are pretty!  😉

• Haha 2

Maybe because men's sandals are essentially casual in style, whereas women's vary from beach wear to very much evening wear?  Most women would certainly opt for a style suitable for the time of day and dress code.

1 hour ago, jsiegel said:

Jackie

Probably because some women's dress shoes are open toe/back.  Dressing conventions for men and women have always been different.  A woman can wear a sleeveless dress in the MDR.  A man cannot wear a sleeveless shirt there--and so on.  

Someone, up the thread asked about wearing shorts/jeans to outdoor dining venues.  Perhaps that is being allowed now.  I've always changed out of jeans (worn for excursions, etc) by 6pm when on a SB ship.  Has that rule changed now?

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Maybe because men's sandals are essentially casual in style, whereas women's vary from beach wear to very much evening wear?  Most women would certainly opt for a style suitable for the time of day and dress code.

I would be fully willing to bedazzle my man sandals with a few rhinestones.  LOL

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, jchipgcs said:

Sorry guys, that cheap, tacky embroidered shirt is not a Cuban guayabera.  Real cuban guayaberas are dressy, semi-formal shirts that are never embroidered,  only pleated and made of fine Irish linen.  The dressier versions are traditionally white, but black linen is now a more modern look.  Short sleeves and cotton are a more casual version. But never, ever embroidered. (Those are Mexican and Central American variations.) And never silk in the tropics!

Here is what they should look like. 

https://ramonpuig.com/products/supreme-guayabera-long-sleeve-sizes-l

Edited by marazul

We were on the COvation holiday cruise as well as a cruise on the Odyssey out of Aruba in April.

on both ships, it was very, very common to see jeans and sneakers or flip flops at Earth and Ocean.  In many cases, it was people who came down late afternoon and grabbed a table and then stayed viper dinner.  We eat at E&O when we can’t get into the Grill.  I can’t overemphasize how casual the dress was.  I think we also need to consider theses were both warm weather cruises.  We do Alaska later in July, so I will be curious to see.

Edited by LMB01

23 minutes ago, marazul said:

Sorry guys, that cheap, tacky embroidered shirt is not a Cuban guayabera.  Real cuban guayaberas are dressy, semi-formal shirts that are never embroidered,  only pleated and made of fine Irish linen.  The dressier versions are traditionally white, but black linen is now a more modern look.  Short sleeves and cotton are a more casual version. But never, ever embroidered. (Those are Mexican and Central American variations.) And never silk in the tropics!

Here is what they should look like. 

https://ramonpuig.com/products/supreme-guayabera-long-sleeve-sizes-l

They've changed since the "original".  Today, Cuba's most famous maker of them, who live in Havana, makes short and long and the one he's personally wearing...has embroidery.  They use whatever fabric they can get their hands on as bolts of Irish Linen don't really flow into Cuba.  https://www.heraldextra.com/lifestyles/2011/jun/22/guayaberas-made-for-the-stars-by-havana-artisan/

18 hours ago, LMB01 said:

We were on the COvation holiday cruise as well as a cruise on the Odyssey out of Aruba in April.

on both ships, it was very, very common to see jeans and sneakers or flip flops at Earth and Ocean.  In many cases, it was people who came down late afternoon and grabbed a table and then stayed viper dinner.  We eat at E&O when we can’t get into the Grill.  I can’t overemphasize how casual the dress was.  I think we also need to consider theses were both warm weather cruises.  We do Alaska later in July, so I will be curious to see.

You mention E&O which is outside and always fairly casual but what about TK Grill and the MDR or did you just eat mostly outside

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

You mention E&O which is outside and always fairly casual but what about TK Grill and the MDR or did you just eat mostly outside

We avoid the MDR.  We have seen a real mix of dress in TKG including jeans.  I’m sure it varies greatly by cruise and mix of passengers.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jchipgcs said:

They've changed since the "original".  Today, Cuba's most famous maker of them, who live in Havana, makes short and long and the one he's personally wearing...has embroidery.  They use whatever fabric they can get their hands on as bolts of Irish Linen don't really flow into Cuba.  https://www.heraldextra.com/lifestyles/2011/jun/22/guayaberas-made-for-the-stars-by-havana-artisan/

Still, there is only a standard for the 'dress' guayabera. As I said, short sleeves are casual and scarce supplies don't change what the look should be. The embroidery is really catering to tourists.

Back to SB. Tonight at the Restaurant there were only a handful of jackets. The rest were dress shirts, Tommy Bahama shirts and one proper guayabera.

• Like 1

It does not matter to us what others wear when dining and in public, we prefer to wear jackets at dinner, tie optional, we dress in our tuxes for formal nights, if others chose to wear "casual" clothing" that is their purgative.

My parents used to preach to me "I don't care what other    parents let their kids do, my child is going to look like someone when they are out in public" Guess that just stuck with me and my hubby, guess our parents came from the same generation.

Edited by rucrazy
sorry for any misspellings, my eyes are giving me fits today..
  • Like 4