The Daily for Thursday 06/09/2022

richwmn

Today is Donald Duck Day, International Day of Celtic Art, and International Archives Day

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.--Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Meal Suggestion for today - Fresh Lime Margaritas
Drink of the Day - Last Word
Wine of the Day - Cesari 2016 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
Destination of the Day - Takoradi, Ghana

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 06/10
Zuiderdam   Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 06/10

Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece

Oosterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Geiranger, Norway

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Zaandam   08:00 - 16:00

Juneau, Alaska

Noordam   08:00 - 18:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00
Koningsdam   10:00 - 18:00

Skagway, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 21:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Seattle, WA

Westerdam  

0609World.thumb.png.e031dc2d2f0ec379456ef6585d2f1ea6.png
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another rainy morning, I hope it gets sunny soon.

Interesting days.  Donald Duck Day sounds like fun.  Celtic Art is beautiful and intricate.  Archives are important so we don't forget.

Love the quote.

I'd like a margarita, but not as a meal.  Hope the cocktail is tasty.

Love the wine!

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 30

Last Word cocktail:

The Last Word is a gin-based prohibition-era cocktail originally developed at the Detroit Athletic Club. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin, Chartreuse
Ingredients: 1 part Gin, 1 part Green Chartreuse, 1 part Lime juice, 1 part Maraschino liqueur
Preparation: Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 6.55.54 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  A fine collection of days, go Donald.  I have to dissent from Mr. Wilde’s quote.  I’ll have to pass on “dinner” as fresh lime juice irritates my Barrett’s esophagus although I used to enjoy them often. Which brings me to The Last Word that also has fresh lime juice; you only need one of those they’re potent.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 31

Thank you for the Thursday Daily. Rich.  I probably grew up in Donald Duck's heyday.  Archives are vital to our institutional memory.  Celtic art is awesome.  Love the Wilde quote.  I have never been to Ghana.  We were due to go there on the 2014 Amsterdam World Cruise (I don't think Takoradi) but it was cancelled due to the Ebola outbreak.  I'll pass on the meal and suspect it might prove a challenge as a meal to @dfish.  My alternative is Chilled Peach Soup and Boston Lager Strip Loin Steak as served on MS Prinsendam June 9, 2015:

It was a rough night for me.  A pain in my right hip has me hobbling around.  Not sure what is going on. 

Today’s care list:

seagarsmoker’s Uncle Gary heart bypass surgery 6/8/22
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine but feeling better
From the rotation:
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

3 Days for Westerdam
SusiekIslandGirl  surgery accomplished easily
2 days for Oceansaway17(Allure OTS 6/11 to 6/18)
3 days for Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)
4 days for VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
5 days for Norseh2o I](Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
7 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 5/14-6/24)
StPeteCruiser (Ineuw Statendam to 6/10), Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice) travelingbums Jewel OTS to 6/20) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Strange quote.

Margarita's for a meal doesn't work for me though a Manhattan might.

Donald Duck comic books and cartoons were a favorite of mine in my pre-teen years.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29

Good afternoon.

It is 55°F and cloudy here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

We have been to WDW Florida and Disneyland Paris many times and Mickey and Minnie are Pauline's favourites.

Archives are extremely important.

Celtic art is good.

If you always tell the truth you have a clear conscience.

Not sure about today's food and drink.

Never been to today's port.

Sending our prayers 🙏 for our friends on the care list.

I hope everyone is having a great day and cruise for those currently or due to cruise.

Graham.

• Like 30

Good morning, everyone!

Well, it is back to the pool for me today!  I have really missed it and I do have the go ahead from the surgeon.  My incisions are all closed up and are not tender to touch.  So, it is full steam ahead! And my back will be so much  happier.  

So, another day of drinking our dinner.  Hmmm, is this what the pandemic is doing to us?   @rafinmd, Yes, Roy, this was a challenge to me, but I think I have risen to it.  

This first recipe is a totally from scratch recipe - no premade mix at all.  There are also suggestions on how to whittle down the calories, how to spice it up for those that like  little heat, and how to make it a virgin margarita.  https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/margarita-recipe/

1084402736_limemargarita1.thumb.jpg.fb91b3653a13b4b84532050233191fe6.jpg

And this one is a basic recipe.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/fresh-lime-margaritas/

32512579_limemargarita2.jpg.75457e1acb4e479f6d8079ec6a6f5a00.jpg

Now, we can't just drink our way to oblivion, no matter how tempting it sometimes is.  So, what goes with a margarita?   Why, chips and salsa!   Here is a good homemade salsa:  https://www.cookingclassy.com/fresh-homemade-salsa/

368096799_freshsalsa.thumb.jpg.d8b03319440f8638d0826b38843ad46d.jpg

This one from the Food Network is a little chunkier and also gives directions for making your own chips.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/salsa-and-chips-recipe-2118137

1976400037_freshsalsa2.jpeg.d1e5db84df4c521e882229d0b00477a0.jpeg

Want something totally different?   Try some Cowboy Caviar.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cowboy-caviar/

107332302_cowboycaviar.thumb.jpg.6b7a9906ef65e8bd28476e50807402be.jpg

The last one gives you some protein, your vegetables, carbs, and your drink.   Sounds like a complete meal to me!

Prayers for those who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members struggling with challenges.   We can raise our margarita glasses in a toast to the successful surgeries for @SusieKIslandGirl and @seagarsmoker's Uncle Gary.   Cheers for any other celebrations.  Wishing you all a great day!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! It is gorgeous and sunny and breezy this morning. No hint of humidity. But the sun has just crested the trees, so that most likely will change quickly.  Last night was fun. Who knew that focaccia would make a good base for pizza, paninis and even dessert? I split a salad with chick peas, arugula, tomatoes and green onions with a lovely lemon dressing. Then split an eggplant, tomato, red bell pepper and arugula panini with a balsamic reduction. And capped off a great meal by splitting an amazing Nutella stuffed focaccia dessert.  I did not split my BlackBerry Shrub cocktail. 😎 Made with Prosecco, blackberry syrup, a bit of lemon juice with fresh blackberries & a sprig of thyme floating in the mixture. It was the perfect Summer day drink. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. HVAC folk install a device to eliminate mold on my filters this morning. Then off to the gym. I have a few carbs to work off. 

I am lucky that Bindi is not a destroyer!

43F86971-ABF5-43ED-BA73-C53448C2762F.jpeg.82361d0ff5b67736a57e3a65f81ba355.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Cesari 2016 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico

Note: Roger Parker’s grape blend differs from the winemaker’s, but they match on 95% of the blend. I know I have tasted a Valpolicella, but not sure if I have every had an entire glass. All released vintages share the same excellent ratings. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $33.98.

Winemaker Notes

On the nose, the typical notes of raisined fruit and cherry flavors are dominant. Mild hints of vanilla and spice are present as well. Elegant and warm with a velvety mouthfeel. Incredibly long, persistent finish that lingers on the palate. 

Blend: 75% Corvina, 20% Rondinella, 5% Molinara

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

New leather, truffle, menthol and baked plum aromas slowly emerge on this inviting, full-bodied red. Smooth and savory, the velvety palate doles out fleshy black cherry, fig, tobacco and licorice alongside polished, enveloping tannin's.

RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

A slightly more accessible wine from a terrific vintage, the Cesari 2016 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico has lifted or volatile aromas of dried cherry skin and red apple. This wine is released with an ample 280,000 frost-coated bottles produced. The blend is 75% Corvina Veronese, 20% Rondinella and 5% of two unknown grapes called Rossignola and Negrara. There is some heaviness to the bouquet with baked fruit and dark spice.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone.We had horrible thunderstorms last night. The lady who is helping me organize is coming in an hour and I have to decide what to attack today. Roy, hop your hip is better. DH is having the same issue.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Donald Duck is funny, but not my favorite character. Archiving is important for memories and to keep things, such as email, organized. Celtic art is beautiful.

The quote is thought provoking. Pass on the meal.

I slept well, but like Roy, @rafinmd, I am experiencing some pain this morning; mine is in my neck. I hope your hip is feels better as the day goes on, Roy.

A nice morning to start the day. Other than a few chores it will be the pool and then a BOD meeting tonight. I didn't ever make it through page one of the Daily yesterday as my eyes were bothering me. I will try to go back and catch up throughout today. 

@seagarsmoker I'm glad to hear your Uncle Gary's surgery went well. 

Praying that Jack, @Heartgrove, had safe and smooth travels yesterday. 

Have a great day. 😊

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Note that I am having to repost the following due to no response when I submitted it.  I apologize in advance if this is duplicated due to gremlins today.

Good morning friends from Lerwick (Shetland Islands), Scotland.  I'm having a tough time keeping up with the Daily since the internet does not work on this ship the past week or so.  Thank goodness my WhatsApp chats are able to be sent and received with WiFi.  I keep in touch with family that way.  DH's tiny laptop is the only device that I can use to access Cruise Critic.  And since I'm 5 hours ahead of the east coast I have to wait until afternoon to read up. 

I did tell you we had to go back to mask wearing here on the Island Princess, didn't I?  Sunday the room across the hall from us gained a table in the hallway in front of their door.  So Covid is actually that close to us.  I hope we continue to be safe from that virus while on this cruise.  Only 20 more days, and I'm going to hope like heck the Covid tests prior to departing are negative!  Otherwise I guess we will be doing our quarantining in a hotel near Heathrow!  I wonder how Kay and her DH Jim are faring.  I haven't seen them around the ship lately and I forgot what her room number is. 🤔   Kay @kb4683if you read this and want to leave a phone message with your room number and how your health is, our number is 10527. 

One thing I've noticed being away from home is that my chronic cough I've had for the past 3 years or so, is a lot less on the ship.  I wonder what I'm allergic to at home?  All my allergy blood work says I don't have allergies to trees, grasses and pollen but why am I a cougher at home and not here?

Well I'm sorry I haven't been able to catch all the news so let's just say I pray for all our members on the Care list.  That includes your hip Roy @rafinmd.  Cheers to all on the Celebration lists as well. Take care everyone!

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. We also had big thunderstorms  last night.The dogs protested when a nearby hit shook the house.Today more rain is expected  this morning. 

A salute to the days  today.We have not been to the port and will have vegetarian  enchiladas  tonight for dinner.

@rafinmd,I hope your pain decreases.

@SusieKIslandGirl,glad you are home so quickly and hope all is well soon.

@dfish, Enjoy your return  to the pool today!

Take care everyone 

Terry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyites.  The last two nights we have had magnificent thunder storms with rain.  And they have started at bed time, so easy to sleep!  I love to sleep to the sound of rain.

I worked for both jobs yesterday, I have never been very good at fundraising, but I do understand the need right now when so many arts institutes had to close the last two years.  I got three donations, and then when I switched to AZ I got two sales, and I spoke with a lot of people.  I worked until 11 p.m.. One thing I hear from everywhere, though, is the high amount of people who have lost their spouses over the last two years.

I have symphony tickets for tonight, I will wear my mask, and if I feel too crowded in the "cheap seats" I will ask an usher if I can move to a space with more space.  

Recently one of the neighbors have begun to let their German Shepard walk itself in the morning hours, it poops in my neighbors yard, and terrorizes the feral Fawn and her new friend. And every morning I run out and yell at it to go home.  I wish I knew who he belonged to.  But last night I heard something a bit more terrifying...the call of a coyote.  

@durangoscots I just finished reading yesterdays posts.  I have a suggestion for your old travel T shirts, cut out the design, and make a quilt , so that you have a snuggie with you of all your travels.  Also sending my best to your worker that was scratched by the cat.

@StLouisCruisers Not sure if you will get to read this but your allergies might be to good old Georgia MOLD!  My cough left me when we were in Sanibel, and now it's worse than ever.  Of course my cat allergies may be back too. LOL

Yesterday I proved to be quite the food provider, we had bacon and eggs with a mini bagel for breakfast, left over meatloaf sandwich for lunch, and crock pot ribs with pasta (the tri color ones made with veggies) salad for dinner.  However, now the cupboard is bare, and I am hungry!  I know dinner is Greek pizza on the way downtown.  But that wont help me now.

I know I'm a new kid on this block, but I love the Daily.  I laugh, I cry, I pray for all of you when things are tough, I cheer you when things go well.  Ships can sail, but I hope this thread does not.  I love it just the way it is.  

celtic_cat_tn.jpg

cheezburger-image-9462954240

• Like 36
  • Haha 4

Good morning! Starting off hot and humid and that will increase as the day goes on. Strong chance of thunderstorms later in the day.

We heard one of DW’s sister didn’t get a delft tile on her last cruise. Well the annual sister’s reunion is coming up and she will get all our tiles we have collected over the years. We are not going to build anything with them so there just another thing taking up room. Time to start getting rid of stuff to make it easier if we have to downsize or less for our kids to tackle.

Margarita’s for dinner? A few of those and you would not feel hungry!😜

It’s time to get out and get my walk in before it get’s any hotter. 
Debbie I’m happy to hear you have healed enough to resume swimming. When I had my gall bladder removed I went shopping the next day. Surgery for this years ago and we would be hospitalized for a few days. Amazing. 
Roy I hope you can shake it off whatever is causing your hip pain today.

@kazu we wish you would come back to our online friends and extended families.

Enjoy the day!😎

• Like 31

Good morning from central Texas where it is starting off cloudy, but will become sunny in an hour or two.  This will be our last "cool" day, if you call 98F cool, for a while.  The predicted highs for the next ten days are above 100F and 107F on Sunday.  Even August normally doesn't reach 107F here.

I have never been a fan of Donald Duck.  I will celebrate Celtic Art and Archive Day.

The Oscar Wilde quote is one I do not agree with, as the truth usually is simpler than lies and keeping track of them.

We'll pass on the drink and the meal.  We've had Valpolicella wine and liked it; but I'm not sure if we've had any from this label.

We have been to Ghana but not today's port.  We were in Accra in 2009 on Tahitian Princess.

@rafinmd Roy, I hope your hip feels better soon.

@seagarsmoker  I'm pleased that your uncle Gary's surgery went well yesterday.

@dfish  Debbie  you always manage to find several recipes each day even when the meal is a drink.  Enjoy your pool time.

@JAM37  Julia, I'm glad your eye is better.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, stay safe and keep away from your across the hall neighbors.

There's not much going on around here today except laundry.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3