Covid testing changes.

grammi

Just now, jm485 said:

Very relieved if this is true … but I just a couple of hours ago ordered tests for an upcoming trip!! Doh!

That is why I have not ordered any tests for our August cruises.

9 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is why I have not ordered any tests for our August cruises.

I'm definitely waiting as well.  I'm also hoping that in a 7 week span, they loosen the pre-cruise test as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nukesquad said:

I'm definitely waiting as well.  I'm also hoping that in a 7 week span, they loosen the pre-cruise test as well.

I may be wrong, but I believe the pre board testing for cruise ships are self imposed by the cruise lines except for some host countries that require them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I may be wrong, but I believe the pre board testing for cruise ships are self imposed by the cruise lines except for some host countries that require them.

You're correct.  I would just hope that the cruise lines would look at their respective itineraries/ports/etc. and make decisions from there.  With the US being at the top of cases worldwide, I would hope that if the US is loosening restrictions than the rest would follow.

1 minute ago, Nukesquad said:

You're correct.  I would just hope that the cruise lines would look at their respective itineraries/ports/etc. and make decisions from there.  With the US being at the top of cases worldwide, I would hope that if the US is loosening restrictions than the rest would follow.

The US is late in removing air restrictions.  UK removed them in early spring as did much of the EU.   The remaining travel restrictions are cruise related.  Both the US and Canada have testing in place for cruises.  The US is “voluntary”. So many pro-testing people have filled out surveys and been very vocal the cruise lines think this is what their passengers want. I know, I write them monthly and that is the gist of the response.  Speak up, let them know you don’t want this.  Let congress know too.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

The US is late in removing air restrictions.  UK removed them in early spring as did much of the EU.   The remaining travel restrictions are cruise related.  Both the US and Canada have testing in place for cruises.  The US is “voluntary”. So many pro-testing people have filled out surveys and been very vocal the cruise lines think this is what their passengers want. I know, I write them monthly and that is the gist of the response.  Speak up, let them know you don’t want this.  Let congress know too.  

I agree in that you need to be the "squeaky wheel to get the grease."  I applaud the act to remove required testing on re-entry.  I also love the vaccination requirement to get on the ship, but I personally hope the pre-cruise testing requirement will go as well as a HAL policy.

• Like 7

Another issue I have with the current policy, is how they operate with people who are doing B2B cruises.  I heard/read many reports that those individuals, at the end of the first cruise, are allowed to leave the ship to explore that port (as they should with any other port).  They then are allowed to re-enter the ship without testing for their second leg.  Why would they be different/safer/more exempt/etc. than any other guest that's just getting on the ship?

24 minutes ago, jm485 said:

Since my trip is an Alaska cruise from Vancouver, our backup plan was to change flights to Seattle and drive across the border at which point we could fly to anywhere we wanted in the US.  The testing requirement for people who had a land crossing option was utterly pointless.

Agreed. As Canadians we went to Vegas in March. Just drive across the border and flew out of a US airport rather than Canadian.  No tests either direction. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nukesquad said:

Another issue I have with the current policy, is how they operate with people who are doing B2B cruises.  I heard/read many reports that those individuals, at the end of the first cruise, are allowed to leave the ship to explore that port (as they should with any other port).  They then are allowed to re-enter the ship without testing for their second leg.  Why would they be different/safer/more exempt/etc. than any other guest that's just getting on the ship?

First getting off the ship for a few hours and possibly being exposed to COVID will not show up on any test that day. So there is no reason to test as you suggest. Just like you could be exposed to COVID the day before or day you board a cruise and you would test negative. That is why this testing is pretty much useless. I am not sure about HAL but I know on Celebrity passengers who are doing a true B2B are tested the day before the ship docks after its prior leg. Our August Oosterdam is a cruise of two 7 day segments, but we booked as a 14 night cruise so it is not considered a true B2B. We do not have to test before we get to Athens or when we get back onboard for the second 7 nights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

So many pro-testing people have filled out surveys and been very vocal the cruise lines think this is what their passengers want. I know, I write them monthly and that is the gist of the response.  Speak up, let them know you don’t want this.  Let congress know too.  

Since you actually get a response, do you have a name and address for HAL or CCL that you can share?

WOO HOO!!!!!!  Bet the testing site in the convention center closes - again.  LOL.  Now let's see if the cruise lines stop it!

I'm not opposed to testing, however, it should be across the board.  If you can cross the boarder by train, bus, car or walk without a test, what was the reasoning to being tested if you cross by air?

Edited by 54Carol
Addition

We have a cruise leaving Vancouver on July 6. Flying into Canada from the US is no longer a problem, but HA requires a monitored Covid tests within 2 or 3 days of boarding the ship.  WE'll be  in Vancouver for several days before embarking so we'll probably need testing done there... Which is really expensive.

HA poted on the cruise web page that there may be tests available at the ship that day, but you can't sign up til ten days before.  Any advice?  

23 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

First getting off the ship for a few hours and possibly being exposed to COVID will not show up on any test that day. So there is no reason to test as you suggest. Just like you could be exposed to COVID the day before or day you board a cruise and you would test negative. That is why this testing is pretty much useless. I am not sure about HAL but I know on Celebrity passengers who are doing a true B2B are tested the day before the ship docks after its prior leg. Our August Oosterdam is a cruise of two 7 day segments, but we booked as a 14 night cruise so it is not considered a true B2B. We do not have to test before we get to Athens or when we get back onboard for the second 7 nights.

Oh my intent was to ask why test at all.  HAL allows some to come back to the ship without testing, so I agree that the testing piece is fundamentally useless.  On the flip side though, I do still encourage having 100% full vaccinated crew & guests.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Thankfully, Celebrity dropped B2B testing between sailings about a month ago. Princess, too, according to a friend who just completed 21-days of 3 7-day sailings.