Emerald Princess British Isles COVID.

majortom10

18 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

We did get a letter today that says they don't have the tender capacity to provide an effective tender service at the 3 tender ports.

Well, that is not good news!   So, what did they say they are doing about it?

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

Not seen anything yet.

like many i have just glanced through the 6 pages of boarding information mostly how to use the medallion and app.

Nothing in the patter not even to say recommended.

We did get a letter today that says they don't have the tender capacity to provide an effective tender service at the 3 tender ports.

What?  Not enough crew to operate the tenders, maybe?  Covid?  Did they explain?

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

Can you expand on that? Any additional information about the tender service? I assume they'll prioritize people on ship excursions, which is unfortunate for me since I generally don't do ship tours. Crowded tenders have been mentioned frequently as a possible source of spread of Covid. My upcoming cruise will have 3 tender ports.

We were on Emerald last week and got off, thankfully, yesterday. Masks were made mandatory after left Orkney for everywhere inside the ship unless you were drinking eating. Lifts max6 recommended and mask wearing was not done from the very start of cruise. Cruise included 4 tender ports no masks were mandatory and very few wore masks and the tenders were crammed to capacity. Having seen the statement earlier on present cruise about not being able to provide an effective tender service at 3 ports makes it clear that the explosion in Covid cases on Emerald last week from the start of the cruise was due to tenders operating with no mandatory mask wearing and filling tenders to full capacity.

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We were on Emerald last week and got off, thankfully, yesterday. Masks were made mandatory after left Orkney for everywhere inside the ship unless you were drinking eating. Lifts max6 recommended and mask wearing was not done from the very start of cruise. Cruise included 4 tender ports no masks were mandatory and very few wore masks and the tenders were crammed to capacity. Having seen the statement earlier on present cruise about not being able to provide an effective tender service at 3 ports makes it clear that the explosion in Covid cases on Emerald last week from the start of the cruise was due to tenders operating with no mandatory mask wearing and filling tenders to full capacity.

Are they crew operated tenders?

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

can you post the entire letter? what are they doing about tendering?

Don't have the sheet with me,

They have a limited no of tenders and going with 90 capacity

No mention of tickets we will see if it ends up with a line with no social distance or masks

We get elite priority less of a problem, any line will get cut in by priority and shorex.

We might not get off in St Peter Port.

Was on walkabout earlier to get some top deck sailaway pics.

They missed one of the "masks compulsory" signs on deck 19 

Had a read of the 2 relevant sheets from boarding paperworkthey give mixed message.

Say recommended in some places and compulsory in others.

Will see about upload later or tomorrow.

8:30-9:00 bars are not that busy yet 

Happy with our spot at the bar in wheelhouse for now 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 6:39 AM, Keksie said:

I think by now people know that:

1. Covid is still a virus capable of spreading.

2. Covid can be spread when a contagious person is near another person.

Knowing the above it is up to each individual person to weigh the risks vs. rewards for different activities and decide whether to participate or not.  Going on a cruise when masks are recommended and then expecting the cruise line to make everyone mask is not the cruise line's incompetence.

I mostly agree.. except when it says required masks for tenders, etc. I might book an excursion based on that and be very upset when I went to get on a very crowded tender for an excursion and it isn't enforced by the staff. Our recent  cruise I also felt that Princess jammed people together in the theatre waiting for those excursions, too. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, AZ Gurl said:

Apparently we were not on the same Emerald. I am absolutely the mask policeman in my family and I can assure you I counted about 3 people wandering around or on tenders without masks. I said something to 2 of them. Now people who were seated in the dining room or bars and actively eating were not wearing them, but I even saw near 100 % compliance on the Lido deck in the buffet lines.  The only are I cannot vouch for is the theater, but I avoided that area once the onboard cases started to significantly increase. 

It could be you are just not going to the same places on the ship? Thanks for doing your best to try and keep everyone safe. I appreciate a good face mask police person!  

On May 21 sailing, Dublin and Edinburgh had local tenders in addition to the ship tenders.  And yes all the tenders were stuffed to capacity. It’s been 12 days since I tested positive (day after I got home) and just took a test and still have that faint second line and some lagging symptoms. Stay safe 

On 6/12/2022 at 10:55 PM, majortom10 said:

They aren't wearing masks last night in theatre for 10pm show about 40% were not wearing masks and many walking around the ship without masks.

It is just so disrespectful to those of us who might feel it helps, even just a little. 
I hope the rest of your cruise goes well. 
I know on ours, I spent a good deal of time playing- keep away from the other passengers- 

What is the usual capacity of a tender?  I'm just thinking back to the Majestic and I can't believe there were many more than 100 seats.  So all those people in the picture are standing in line not socially distance or at the pub drinking unmasked, to get on a tender where they still won't be socially distanced.  Here's hoping this little experiment is a massive failure.  Will be interesting to hear if departures are delayed leaving port.  If people are in line for the tenders is Princess just going to say, "Sorry, find your own way to the next port"?

1 hour ago, SomewhereGirl said:

What is the usual capacity of a tender?  I'm just thinking back to the Majestic and I can't believe there were many more than 100 seats.  So all those people in the picture are standing in line not socially distance or at the pub drinking unmasked, to get on a tender where they still won't be socially distanced.  Here's hoping this little experiment is a massive failure.  Will be interesting to hear if departures are delayed leaving port.  If people are in line for the tenders is Princess just going to say, "Sorry, find your own way to the next port"?

This is not new. Twice at St Peter port we were in the pub & line ups pre pandemic. Tenders were packed.

2 hours ago, junglejane said:

Thanks very much @insidecabin for all the photos and helpful information. How did the tender boarding process work for elite priority? I have an early private tour in Guernsey so that's the one port tender port where I would be in a hurry to get off the ship.

No idea on the early tenders they started an hour before the first shorex.

They were still calling animals (tickets) groups when we were ready 9:45 no meeting place just flash your medallion at anyone managing the lines.

They only checked mine(the OH is not elite) and waved us through the ticket check.

One issue the person calling out the animals had pronouncing issues some people were missing the calls.

(They only check the colour that's a hint)

1 hour ago, SomewhereGirl said:

That line was still as long at 2.45 there was a small snake hidden from view, you could stay in the pub(Albion) till the visible line is short it's a 4 minute walk

IMG_20220616_144714.thumb.jpg.3dc6dd4ea3edf4c0503d93dd245b33a6.jpg

Behind the scenes they are counting people so know how many are back on the ship and how many are on the traveling tenders.

They have enough seats at the dock to bring everyone back on time.

We ended up leaving at 15:10 and had some shore kit like the drinks stuff with us.

There may have been one more to bring all the rest of the shore crew and support stuff and maybe some stragglers.

The loading was interrupted as there was another ship bringing passengers ashore and the ramp to the tender pier is one way.