Watch Out for New Automatic Service Charges

422Melissa

I searched the forums but didn't see any threads about this.  We just came back from the 6/4 Magic sailing.  Carnival has started adding surprise 18% "Service Charges" to things such as coffee mug purchases from the coffee bar and food purchased at the Seafood Shack.  Last year, two orders of lobster rolls were $24, and this year we paid $35.40 for smaller portions.  The service charge is automatically added to your purchase and is separate from the optional gratuity line on your receipt.  I went to Guest Services to have the charge removed from the coffee mugs, but my account was never adjusted as promised.  Did I miss an announcement about this?  It really left a bad impression, and I am unlikely to purchase extra items on future cruises.    

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, 422Melissa said:

I searched the forums but didn't see any threads about this.  We just came back from the 6/4 Magic sailing.  Carnival has started adding surprise 18% "Service Charges" to things such as coffee mug purchases from the coffee bar and food purchased at the Seafood Shack.  Last year, two orders of lobster rolls were $24, and this year we paid $35.40 for smaller portions.  The service charge is automatically added to your purchase and is separate from the optional gratuity line on your receipt.  I went to Guest Services to have the charge removed from the coffee mugs, but my account was never adjusted as promised.  Did I miss an announcement about this?  It really left a bad impression, and I am unlikely to purchase extra items on future cruises.    

It's not brand new. It was around for at least part of last year.

If you want nuts, Royal charges a gratuity on top of the service charge for room service. Celebrity adds a gratuity to the price you pay for specialty restaurants. NCL charges a gratuity on their "free" beverage packages.

You already know the solution. Pay it or don't purchase.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how "new" this is because I seem to remember this pre-Covid. Souvenir cups sold at bars have had auto-gratuity added to them for as long as I can remember (yes I have a couple of the coconut monkeys, my daughter wanted one of those fish). I would think the coffee mug probably came with a cup coffee? Seafood Shack has always been a charge and had gratuity added I think so nothing really new for me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 422Melissa said:

That started well before COVID.  

20 minutes ago, Dadofsix said:

Not sure how "new" this is because I seem to remember this pre-Covid. Souvenir cups sold at bars have had auto-gratuity added to them for as long as I can remember (yes I have a couple of the coconut monkeys, my daughter wanted one of those fish). I would think the coffee mug probably came with a cup coffee? Seafood Shack has always been a charge and had gratuity added I think so nothing really new for me.

The coffee mugs were boxed for sale and didn't include a beverage.  Maybe I didn't notice the service charge at the Seafood Shack last fall.  It's possible.

34 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It's not brand new. It was around for at least part of last year.

If you want nuts, Royal charges a gratuity on top of the service charge for room service. Celebrity adds a gratuity to the price you pay for specialty restaurants. NCL charges a gratuity on their "free" beverage packages.

You already know the solution. Pay it or don't purchase.

At the risk of this thread spiraling off topic - I don't mind gratuities, but the gratuity for the "free" NCL drink package is over $500 the last time I looked at it. That is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 422Melissa said:

The coffee mugs were boxed for sale and didn't include a beverage.  Maybe I didn't notice the service charge at the Seafood Shack last fall.  It's possible.

There has been a service charge for the Seafood Shack since it opened

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

At the risk of this thread spiraling off topic - I don't mind gratuities, but the gratuity for the "free" NCL drink package is over $500 the last time I looked at it. That is ridiculous.

It might seem ridiculous, but why not put it into context?

NCL offers a beverage package for sale. When you buy it, you not only pay the daily cost of the package, but you pay a per-day service charge as well. They also offer the beverage package (package only, not the service charge) as a promotional item (they pay for the package, you pay the service charge). According to the NCL website: "Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Beverage Package ($19.80 USD per person per day)".

So the gratuities come to $19.80 per person per day. A 25 day cruise would only incur a gratuity of $495 ($19.80 x 25). So, you must have been looking at a really long cruise to see a gratuity of "over $500", right? The typical 7 day cruise would only come to $138.60 for one person and $277.20 if you double it to include two people, so I don't know what you were looking at that was over $500, but it must be far different than what most people might typically encounter.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

NCL offers a beverage package for sale. When you buy it, you not only pay the daily cost of the package, but you pay a per-day service charge as well. They also offer the beverage package (package only, not the service charge) as a promotional item (they pay for the package, you pay the service charge). According to the NCL website: "Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Beverage Package ($19.80 USD per person per day)".

To most people, I think Free means Free. At least it should.

462422-June-Pulse_1_Fleet_Full_Horizonta

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So the gratuities come to $19.80 per person per day. A 25 day cruise would only incur a gratuity of $495 ($19.80 x 25). So, you must have been looking at a really long cruise to see a gratuity of "over $500", right? The typical 7 day cruise would only come to $138.60 for one person and $277.20 if you double it to include two people, so I don't know what you were looking at that was over $500, but it must be far different than what most people might typically encounter.

NCL usually charges a higher base rate for the included bar/specialty dining/Wi-Fi deal so that may be where the $500 is coming from. I love their overall product but they’ve now made that beverage package almost worthless if you like any kind of higher end liquors or drinks by jacking the price up over $15 on almost everything. They don’t limit drinks per day like Carnival, but cost per drink instead. $23 shots of Woodford Reserve and $17 house wine  is an example. It wasn’t like that a few years ago. It’s and additional $243pp on a 7 day to upgrade to premium beverages, on top of the $277 gratuities and higher base rate.  I like the entertainment and food better on NCL, and the drinks/cheers package and ship atmosphere more on Carnival. Maybe I need to start my own cruise line! 😂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

To most people, I think Free means Free. At least it should.

462422-June-Pulse_1_Fleet_Full_Horizonta

Well, the comment was on the gratuity charge (which is separate from the package charge)...it wasn't about the meaning of "free".

However, if you want to divert to make a different point, the you should recognize that the offer CLEARLY states that the package is free, but the gratuity is not covered. Marketing 101...its not the deal you get, its the deal you think you get. No different than "up to 50% off"...where everyone realizes that this does not mean that everything is 50% off.

Free means Free...how funny. How can anything be "free" if you have to book and pay for a cruise to get it?

• Like 1

typo, meant to say almost $300 - at least for a 7 day cruise. But I don't want to derail this thread with a nonrelated issue.

To get back on topic the problem I have with Carnival's "service charges" is they're not gratuities - they're like delivery fees charged by Domino's or Papa John's - simply more money in the company's pocket. The crew presumably don't see any of this money.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

To get back on topic the problem I have with Carnival's "service charges" is they're not gratuities - they're like delivery fees charged by Domino's or Papa John's - simply more money in the company's pocket. The crew presumably don't see any of this money.

I agree, and they are new.  They are charging it on bottled water, purchased beach towels, etc.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

I agree, and they are new.  They are charging it on bottled water, purchased beach towels, etc.  

i also noticed they are also charging some kind of state tax on bottled water and other things if you want it delivered to your cabin on the first 1st day. When i ordered the bottled water for my cruise in about 9 days, i noticed i can save some money if i change the delivery date to the 2nd day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have to say we took 2 cruises this year, one Carnival and one NCL. We had the NCL drink package, and prepaid the service charge. I couldn’t keep track of all the charges we got. And we were supposed to get a detailed billing at the end of the cruise, but we didn’t get. We drove to port and were one of the first to disembark so hurried off not even thinking about the receipt. Our charges were way more than anything we have been charged on Carnival, where we have always bought drinks as we go. The NCL ship was gorgeous, and it was our 40th anniversary cruise, we didn’t skip stuff, but just couldn’t believe how much the bill was at the end. I have no idea what we were charged for now. I do know we didn’t pay upfront for the daily service charge so that was on there. Just everything was WAAAAY more expense on NCL. And I have to say I pretty much missed Carnival and the more, show we say, homey feel of the ship and the crew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i also noticed they are also charging some kind of state tax on bottled water and other things if you want it delivered to your cabin on the first 1st day. When i ordered the bottled water for my cruise in about 9 days, i noticed i can save some money if i change the delivery date to the 2nd day

That's because they have to charge the local tax rate while in port. You'll see the same tax on drinks you get while in port(even if on the drink package)

5 hours ago, 422Melissa said:

at least you are still going to cruise with Carnival. As time goes on you'll forget about this or your stance will soften and you'll have a great time.🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

I have to say we took 2 cruises this year, one Carnival and one NCL. We had the NCL drink package, and prepaid the service charge. I couldn’t keep track of all the charges we got. And we were supposed to get a detailed billing at the end of the cruise, but we didn’t get. We drove to port and were one of the first to disembark so hurried off not even thinking about the receipt. Our charges were way more than anything we have been charged on Carnival, where we have always bought drinks as we go. The NCL ship was gorgeous, and it was our 40th anniversary cruise, we didn’t skip stuff, but just couldn’t believe how much the bill was at the end. I have no idea what we were charged for now. I do know we didn’t pay upfront for the daily service charge so that was on there. Just everything was WAAAAY more expense on NCL. And I have to say I pretty much missed Carnival and the more, show we say, homey feel of the ship and the crew. 

I'm sure Frank Del Fee-o is happy you cruised with NCL. 

My buddy just texted me with a deal with NCL about free drink package etc and I said as long as the cruise isn't $2000 for an inside cabin, maybe it's a good deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
22 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

So there's no way to keep track of your spending as there is with Carnival ? NCL several years back for this cruiser. No billing information placed under the door ?

Edited by BasicSailor

4 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

So there's no way to keep track of your spending as there is with Carnival ? NCL several years back for this cruiser. No billing information placed under the door ?

there is. NCL has the app just like the Carnival. Since October last year ive been on 3 NCL cruises and i always use the app to check my onboard spending. you can also use the stateroom tv to check your onboard account

• Like 3

LOL....people get so caught up in marketing.  Yes, one cruise line charges you for everything and tries to make their base fare always look the cheapest.  One gives you everything under the sun included but the price for the cabin is always way higher.

It is what it is.  Look at the final price, nothing else.  Don't let marketing terms like free, bonus, limited time or upgrade ruin your day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

typo, meant to say almost $300 - at least for a 7 day cruise. But I don't want to derail this thread with a nonrelated issue.

The Seafood Shack fee is a 18% gratuity that goes to the Seafood Shack crew 

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

Ya, I looked on the tv, and I was going to check out the printout that was suppposed to be delivered, but we were in a hurry off the ship, wanted to beat the crowd. We didn’t notice the printout in our mailbox in the morning, so probably our mistake. I just wanted to see it printed out. One of the most confusing things, and I don’t know if carnival does it this way because I pay upfront, is the daily service fee they charge everyday, not a one time charge. I did go question what that was…. And there were charges, credits, then charges again. It was really confusing and some made no sense. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 422Melissa said:

Me too, I dont understand why I am charged 18% for them to hand me a mug. I wont ne purchasing those items like that either, it just seems sneaky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On the Panorama we got charged 50¢ if we bought a soda with any bar beverage. We had bubbles. if we get a soda alone our receipt is for $0.00. If we got like a Midiori Sour for example for $16.50 we were charged that $16.50 for the drink, $2.97 for the service charge added onto the drink. This should be $19.47 right? Nope, they charged service for the Pepsi too, total of $19.97.