Considering cancelling

Minnie29

We are booked on the Silhouette from Southampton at the end of September and due to pay the final balance at the end of July. 
we did three British Isles cruises last summer on Viking Venus, Celebrity Silhouette and Queen Elizabeth. All were for fully vaccinated adults with all testing and safety protocols in place. We feel very safe onboard and thoroughly enjoyed the cruises. 
Whilst onboard the Silhouette we booked a cruise for this September. 
As we get closer to final balance time and reading all the reports of COVId cases onboard, quarantining and almost full capacity ships we are considering cancelling. 
My husband had a stem cell transplant in October last year and although he is recovering well, he is still on immunosuppressants as well as other medication. He has had three COVId vaccines but we still don’t know what would happen if he caught COVId. 
We have been so careful here in the UK, going out but only eating in outside restaurants and only going into indoor settings where there are very few people and always wearing a mask.

I think a cruise now would not be an enjoyable experience for us. 
We have only paid a very small deposit but my question is would Celebrity give us the deposit in FCC if we cancelled before the final balance is due?

43 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

We have only paid a very small deposit but my question is would Celebrity give us the deposit in FCC if we cancelled before the final balance is due?

If you booked this last year you are probably still covered by the original 'Cruise with Confidence' promise, give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to help.

• Like 1

Worth phoning to see if you are still covered by Cruise with Confidence. 

Alternatively in the UK you can change any aspect of your cruise for £75 each. Free if you are Elite or above. Therefore you could move your cruise to next year if you would feel more comfortable for £150 rather than loose your full deposit. If you explain your circumstances and that you wish to cruise not cancel but just don’t feel comfortable cruising yet owing to your husband’s medical condition they may be willing to waiver this fee. This would still leave you with a booked cruise to look forward to as your husband gains his strength…

Since best wishes for a positive outcome.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

I can’t answer your question because, as @cruisestitchsaid, Celebrity’s rules are country specific. If you were in the US I’d say your cruise is covered under the Cruise with Confidence policy. I hope that is also true for those who booked in the UK.

I do want to say that I myself have had treatment for a serious medical issue that caused me to be temporarily immunocompromised, so I understand your doubts about sailing on a packed ship. I wish your husband the very best as he continues his recovery.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2

I think I would be asking my doctors for advice as to me the financial aspect is secondary, what is relevant is what would happen if your husband got covid. Best wishes.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

I surely hope Celebrity will refund your deposit, or at least allow you to transfer it to a future cruise.  It's hard to imagine them not doing so, but I guess you never know.  Regardless, you used the term "small deposit", so if the answer is no, just cancel.  It would be a small price to pay to avoid an uncomfortable and therefore unenjoyable vacation, throwing good money away because of a small deposit.  I pray your husband continues to heal, and that you can enjoy cruising at some point in the future.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I think I would be asking my doctors for advice as to me the financial aspect is secondary, what is relevant is what would happen if your husband got covid. Best wishes.

Agree with this. My mom just finished chemo 20 days ago and is on Apex now. We thought she would need to cancel, but her doctor assured her that she was cleared for the trip. He was not concerned about covid for her (beyond the concern/risk the average person has). This is because he knew the specific drug she was on and was able to check her blood counts to see her immune response. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minnie29 said:

We are booked on the Silhouette from Southampton at the end of September and due to pay the final balance at the end of July. 
we did three British Isles cruises last summer on Viking Venus, Celebrity Silhouette and Queen Elizabeth. All were for fully vaccinated adults with all testing and safety protocols in place. We feel very safe onboard and thoroughly enjoyed the cruises. 
Whilst onboard the Silhouette we booked a cruise for this September. 
As we get closer to final balance time and reading all the reports of COVId cases onboard, quarantining and almost full capacity ships we are considering cancelling. 
My husband had a stem cell transplant in October last year and although he is recovering well, he is still on immunosuppressants as well as other medication. He has had three COVId vaccines but we still don’t know what would happen if he caught COVId. 
We have been so careful here in the UK, going out but only eating in outside restaurants and only going into indoor settings where there are very few people and always wearing a mask.

I think a cruise now would not be an enjoyable experience for us. 

A call to your medical provider is in order here.

We have a cruise on the books for next spring, I have all my Covid-19 vaccines and boosters, and still no anti-bodies to fight off Covid. There is an approved drug here in the states, that will increase the anti bodies for those who have compromised immune systems. Evusheld is the drug name. Not sure if it is available everywhere. After getting the 2 injections, my anti bodies count was back to normal.

Will still take all the precautions, but my doctor is ok with traveling. 

• Like 1

You have heard the same thing by pretty much everyone.  My DW was treated for cancer just before Covid.  Her oncologist suggested she try to avoid situations where there were large numbers of people for at least 6 months.  Am sure she would offer the same advice today.  Thus that year we went camping in the US instead of a planned trip to Scotland.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your kind comments.

I think under the circumstances we will phone Celebrity and cancel. 
Although our consultant has said he would probably be ok,we don’t want to take the risk and as you all say, have a worrying vacation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minnie29 said:

Thank you for all your kind comments.

I think under the circumstances we will phone Celebrity and cancel. 
Although our consultant has said he would probably be ok,we don’t want to take the risk and as you all say, have a worrying vacation

Best wishes, worth asking if they can either give you FCC or move your cruise on a year if there is no additional cost, nothing to loose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

,we don’t want to take the risk and as you all say, have a worrying vacation

There are times during the journey with cancer that it feels like there are no options, or no good options, and one is left only with the choice of the least negative/bad.  As the replies to your post indicate, Minnie29, there are options, and some of them are good, sensible choices.  Best wishes to your husband and you as you live your lives as fully as possible.

15 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

We also did a number of last summer's UK cruises, and I can tell you that our two so far this year have been very different. We are not in a position where we need to worry about catching something onboard being overly dangerous to us, but in your position I think you're doing the right thing to cancel. On the upside I'm pretty sure the ability to cancel for FCC extends to the end of September for UK cruisers, so you should be covered for the deposit.

We were upset by the crowding on Summit last week. We wore masks and tried to distance. It was impossible in some places.  Got off 2 days ago. My spouse tested positive for Covid today.   There will not be a next cruise with Celebrity for us. 

• Like 1

Best wishes to your husband and to you.

If you think you won’t get a refund, it might help before you cancel to discuss this with the Celebrity office handling disabilities and other medical accommodations (sorry I cant remember the exact name). They might lend a more sympathetic ear to your story where you thought this situation would be over by now?

@Redtravel, sorry to hear about your husband. But I agree with @RichYak, what has a specific cruise line got to do with it. 

yes, more on board but that’s not the Line’s ‘fault’. We are returning to cruising as we are going to other venues and being exposed more. 

hope minimal COVID issues. 

den

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We were upset by the crowding on Summit last week. We wore masks and tried to distance. It was impossible in some places.  Got off 2 days ago. My spouse tested positive for Covid today.   There will not be a next cruise with Celebrity for us. 

Which line will you sail with instead? I didn’t know some were still restricting capacity on their ships to allow social distancing in the way you wanted, hurry up and sail with them as they won’t be in business for long.

• Like 1