Is it a mistake to be last cruise before repositioning?

realnice46

We are booked on last Alaska cruise in September then it repositions to Hawaii. Wondering if service etc. will suffer due to them getting ready for Hawaii? We did a last Caribbean just before Europe transition and we did notice experience not the same.

I do usually book first cruises after repo bc I have noticed crew are happy/new with the change in scenery and higher morale. So it would make sense the opposite at the end of one. I haven't had a last cruise before repo but you may be on to something.

5 hours ago, whataboutport said:

I do usually book first cruises after repo bc I have noticed crew are happy/new with the change in scenery and higher morale. So it would make sense the opposite at the end of one. I haven't had a last cruise before repo but you may be on to something.

Our one and only poor Celebrity cruise was after a load of new crew boarded…New crew didn’t know what they were doing and those staying on were double busy trying to train the new staff and maintain service levels.

Hello,

Whilst this does not apply to the OP’s situation, I’ve found the pre-relocation cruise to be very heavily subscribed by residents of the post relocation inhabitants.

Regards,

Cublet

17 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

End of the season cruise in Alaska will score you lots of bargains in the shops on shore.

Agree.  Also usually get great cruise fares as people are afraid of late season weather for Alaska.  My "last cruise of the season Alaskan sailing" actually had great weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Agree.  Also usually get great cruise fares as people are afraid of late season weather for Alaska.  My "last cruise of the season Alaskan sailing" actually had great weather.

Agree.  Much better than the summer cruises when it mostly rains.

• Like 1

I've sailed on many b2b's with the first being the last of the season.    Service is always close to the same but often some of the crew end their contract on the last cruise of the season and some new replace them for the repositioning.

We did a pre-cruise Alaska Land tour and the Alaska Final Cruise of the season with a B2B with a Transpacific and Japan Cruise.   They were all exceptional. 

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I frequently book the last Caribbean sailing in April before the ships leave for Europe or elsewhere.  Never noticed any difference at all.

Same. We did that on the Silhouette in March.

I did the last Alaskan cruise a couple of years back.  i saw no difference in the service.  I only saw positives.  The ports were less crowded.   Items were more likely on sale or the salespeople were more eager to bargain.  And there was much better chance of seeing the northern lights since daylight was only about 12 hours. 

• Like 1