breakfast room service tips

Random Cruizer

I'm going on my first cruise Saturday on the Equinox.  I had an inside stateroom, and but was surprised to move up to a verandah with what I thought of as a minimal move up bid.  I'm planning to have lunch and dinner out and about, but was thinking of having breakfast on the verandah.  From a thread earlier this week, I believe that a gratuity will be added to my account, but what about tipping the person who brings it in person?  How much would be appropriate?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Random Cruizer said:

I'm going on my first cruise Saturday on the Equinox.  I had an inside stateroom, and but was surprised to move up to a verandah with what I thought of as a minimal move up bid.  I'm planning to have lunch and dinner out and about, but was thinking of having breakfast on the verandah.  From a thread earlier this week, I believe that a gratuity will be added to my account, but what about tipping the person who brings it in person?  How much would be appropriate?

$5.00

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Random Cruizer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by a gratuity being added to your account. There is no charge for room service breakfast after 6:00 am. 

• Like 1

If my steward delivers it, I take care of them with the extra tip at the end of the cruise; if room service person, I do the $2-$5. 

Love having breakfast out on the veranda. My early cruises were Oceanview SR, but was offered a veranda SR for a low cost upgrade……never went back!

It’s perfect for us who seem to, for some reason, dress quicker than our mate, and instead of standing their ‘helping’ them, we step out on the balcony and just enjoy it…counting how long the flying fish stay up, looking for Blue-Footed Boobies. Yes, my wife accused me of pretending I saw one so I could keep saying ‘Boobie’ over and over. 

Den

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

59 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Tipping is important but also very personal decision though IMO $3-5 is very fair 

I agree always tricky giving this type of advice, but both of us never had problems stepping into open manholes! 

den

1 hour ago, jakebloke said:

A few dollars is fine.  Just keep your expectations low for the quality of the food.  If you’re a breakfast person, you may find it lacking.  

Always have breakfast served in the room and never been disappointed 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would think it would depend on whether you are booked “cruise only” or “always included”. I would think the above advice is all good if you are cruise only. But if you are booked always included I would think tips are included in your fare, and there is no motivation to tip twice.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I would think it would depend on whether you are booked “cruise only” or “always included”. I would think the above advice is all good if you are cruise only. But if you are booked always included I would think tips are included in your fare, and there is no motivation to tip twice.

I would think that you are wrong, I would think you are very wrong, yes I would think you are very very wrong...just sayin

• Like 8

IDK, but I have taken many tips included cruises (including two on Celebrity suites and others on Regent, Silverseas, and Paul Gauguin, and tips included meant just that that. Does Celebrity not mean it when it states that the AI rate includes all tips?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Starting the day with breakfast on the veranda (or any stateroom for that matter!) is a wonderful experience!  No need to get out of your PJs ! No crowds competing for a seat or a ladle of oatmeal! 

Not sure of the policy right now, so be sure to confirm my info by carefully reading the room service menu. 

In the past we have ordered a "continental"/basic breakfast of coffee, cereal, fruit etc. with no charge..tho we always give a tip to whoever delivers.  There were charges for cooked items, and that was listed un the menu.

42 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

IDK, but I have taken many tips included cruises (including two on Celebrity suites and others on Regent, Silverseas, and Paul Gauguin, and tips included meant just that that. Does Celebrity not mean it when it states that the AI rate includes all tips?

It includes your room steward, MDR etc…not special delivery of meals…

I did not see that anywhere in Celebrity’s written or on line material, but I’ll take your word for it. I don’t think I ordered room service on our Celebrity cruises. I did on the other lines I mentioned above. It makes me wonder what other tip situations are not included in AI.