The Daily for Tuesday 06/14/2022

richwmn

Flag Day (USA)

Today is National Bourbon Day, World Blood Donor Day, and International Bath Day

A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.--Mark Twain --Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - oven risotto with kale pesto
Drink of the Day - Dirty Martini
wine of the Day - Ryer Estate 2018 Red (California) California Other
Destination of the Day - Alofi, Niue

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Kiel, Germany

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Katakolon, Olympia, Greece eta 06/15

Rotterdam

Oslo, Norway 08:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/15

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0613NAmerica.thumb.png.dbe00f2217eff52f368621a8fe1af954.png

0613Europe.thumb.png.43ece47cd6d75bdb46dfcda67834a996.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Tuesday Daily Report.

It's supposed to be a nice day today, sunny and a high of 27C.🙂

Fly your flag proudly!  I'm not much of a bourbon drinker, but I know others love it.  A big thank you to all blood donors.   I haven't taken a bath in quite a while, I tend to shower, but I may give Bertie Woofster a bath today.

Love the quotes.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe  for today's meal suggestion.

Yum on Martinis!  Hope the wine is tasty.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone.  Thank you for the daily report.  Here’s to Flag Day and blood donors.  Enjoy your baths those of you that have the time to take one.  I like Twain’s quotes, veritas is often manipulated but wins in the end.  Not sure about the meal and will skip the drink for a glass of wine instead.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events including one of my best friends whose birthday just so happens to fall on Flag Day!

• Like 31

Good afternoon from an overcast 62°F day in North East England.

Thank you for an interesting collection of days plus fleet reports Rich.

I find I don't need to have a good memory when I tell the truth all the time.

Nonetheless today's quote is quite true for a lot of people.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for good health for everyone who is unwell.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220614_120123.jpg

Screenshot_20220614_115813.jpg

Screenshot_20220614_115846.jpg

Screenshot_20220614_115448.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Flag Day daily, Rich.  Sadly, it's also my brother's birthday and the second after his passing.  I'll pass on the Bourbon but salute the other 2 days.  I used to be a blood (platelet) donor but can't since my 1997 cancer diagnosis.  Interesting quote by Twain.  Been to Alofi just once.  Not real sure about the meal.  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Basel Crusted  Veal Rack, and Tiramisu as served on MS Prinsendam June 14, 2015.

Today’s care list:

RIP Heartgrove older sister 6/12/22
Melinda with stage 4 cancesr
Heartgrove brother continuing problems
Buddy with continuing problems
Lady Hudson cruise friend with covid
Smitty34877 effects of gas leak
Pat opthamologist visit
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guests
Hearing from kazu and seasick sailor
First angel wings for ger_77
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
Bon Voyage  Norseh2o I](Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
3 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother
Sharon in AZ in venice to 6/19
Mister67 (Equinox to 6/18) Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20), VMAX (Oosterdam to 6/25)  and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Flag Day daily, Rich.  Sadly, it's also my brother's birthday and the second after his passing.  I'll pass on the Bourbon but salute the other 2 days.  I used to be a blood (platelet) donor but can't since my 1997 cancer diagnosis.  Interesting quote by Twain.  Been to Alofi just once.  Not real sure about the meal.  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Basel Crusted  Veal Rack, and Tiramisu as served on MS Prinsendam June 14, 2015.

Today’s care list:

RIP Heartgrove older sister 6/12/22
Melinda with stage 4 cancesr
Heartgrove brother continuing problems
Buddy with continuing problems
Lady Hudson cruise friend with covid
Smitty34877 effects of gas leak
Pat opthamologist visit
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guests
Hearing from kazu and seasick sailor
First angel wings for ger_77
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
Bon Voyage  Norseh2o I](Insignia 6/14 to 7/4)
3 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS 6/16-6/24)
Heartgrive visiting brother
Sharon in AZ in venice to 6/19
Mister67 (Equinox to 6/18) Oceansaway16 (Allure OTS to 6/18), travelingbums (Jewel OTS to 6/20), VMAX (Oosterdam to 6/25)  and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Heavenly birthday wishes for your brother.

Graham.

0E28A08F-12A8-48E8-A080-FF0DF318DC39.gif.3041fde9886fd59f1bdcb8aa942c2699.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I will definitely celebrate Flag Day and blood donors. 

The quote is true. The meal sounds interesting.

I haven't read past page one of yesterday's Daily but will get to it today.

Jack, @Heartgrove, sending condolences and prayers.

Jacqui, @kazu, happy to see your post yesterday.

Terry, @smitty34877, what a scary experience. 

It is overcast an 79 this morning. 

For those who watch Call the Midwife... I had missed a couple of episodes and in the past I have been able to catch up on the PBS app so I tried to do the same and the show is no longer there. Do any of you know why?

Have a terrific Tuesday! 🙂

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  everyone. It is cloudy now but will be in the eighties  and sunny later.I am waiting for the workers to return.Last night our neighbor stopped  by and offered to carry Tana up the 2 flights of stairs to her sister's apartment. He was concerned  about her having to put up with the jack hammering beneath her window while the gas line is replaced.We will take him up on his offer later this morning. I was so touched by his generosity. 

Several neighbors stopped  by to inspect the trenches and chat.My across the street neighbor  said he heard the alarm in his house as he had his bedroom  window open.

I think today will be a take out day again.I look forward to seeing the recipe.I will celebrate Flag day and Blood Donor Day. Bourbon  and I have parted company and we have not been to the port.

20220614_071514.jpg

20220614_071601.jpg

• Like 33

Dirty Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 1/2 ounces gin or vodka
1/2 ounce dry vermouth
1/2 ounce olive brine
Garnish: 2 to 4 olives
Steps
Add the gin or vodka, vermouth and olive brine to a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a skewer of olives.

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 7.31.00 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.

A salute to Flag Day to our American friends.  Our Canadian flags fly here every day 👍 Blood donors are a boon to so many.  Love baths - so I can celebrate International Bath day.  

Oh that quote of Mark Twain about lies travelling is so true.

Looks like another rainy day here.  It’s ok, I still have lots of inside stuff to do 😔 and sorting.  Optometrist appointment shortly (catching up on all those appointment I had to postpone while DH was in the hospital) and will be taking one collection of eyeglasses with me.  They donate them to the 3rd world countries.

Hoping for time after to visit Jose’s BF of many years and his wife.  I gave him Jose’s hearing aids (which he desperately needed) and have found more “stuff” that goes with them that might be of use.  If not, it will be on the list for tomorrow.

One plant deer don’t eat - aliums:

223EF72B-2632-405B-8A13-A79C5A6F978B.thumb.jpeg.7c45c101f2cbeca4954904ed33de6de4.jpeg

DH bought this hydrangea a couple of years ago and made me find a place for it.  This is the best bloom it has had so far.  And no, it’s not an azalea even though it looks like one 😉 

966DC412-DC39-4DF9-B4FE-ECAA2A46754D.thumb.jpeg.3eadbe9beab72b2aa2ea2f9df9573c85.jpeg

@rafinmdRoy, a sad day for you indeed.  I pray that good memories can help you with the overwhelming sadness I am sure you are feeling today 💔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them & a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

D8160712-BDB9-4FB0-AAA9-73FBF17A0E18.thumb.jpeg.d5e01d1650db63aab42f4bcf45d515be.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

D79D7D94-7A62-49E9-BF3F-97F5EC3E51AB.thumb.jpeg.2dedbcedaf2cc5ac94ccd8f3ee38afe9.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone!

We had some wild thunder bumpers roll through during the night.  Several woke me up, but I was able to go back to sleep easily.  Today's forecast is hot and muggy.   For those complaining about deer in the yard, this is what I had last night in my back yard.  

IMG_1480.thumb.jpg.5f2bf95d724bfa30dd4ac3b66749410d.jpg

I think I'd prefer the deer.  

Today's meal is interesting, but I'll take a pass due to the carb content.  I'll settle for the bourbon or the martini.  The novelty here is making the risotto in the oven rather than standing over the stove and stirring.  I'm all for that!   https://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/recipes/294/oven-risotto-with-kale-pesto

1776350022_kalepestorisotto5.jpg.380a17c49c8d3800c2a11525985431b7.jpg

This next one is not so green.  I think it is because the kale pesto isn't mixed through the dish.  BTW, the point of this recipe is technique.  You can skip the kale and use a basil pesto or even a sun dried tomato pesto.  Try making your favorite risotto recipe in the oven instead of on top of the stove.  https://www.neptune.com/inspiration/2022/01/oven-baked-risotto-with-kale-pesto-and-crispy-celeriac/

1992209272_kalepestorisotto2.thumb.jpg.f441759829f471a54258ab079c20ad67.jpg

This next one has risotto with a tomato flavor running through it and then tops it with a broccoli pesto.  That's different!   https://www.netmums.com/recipes/oven-baked-risotto-with-pesto

445068201_kalepestorisotto3.jpg.f17dc24eec3231ab124e0a271f9a1fc6.jpg

And, you can top your dish with walnuts for a different texture and flavor! Don't want walnuts?   Try mushrooms!   

https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Oven-Risotto-with-Kale-Pesto-Bon-Appetit

1353691002_kalepestorisotto4.jpg.2555b8ee65660f146e97e2a6c01f5066.jpg

1115905039_kalepestorisotto6.thumb.jpg.09788cf1ca77d718c734a862ad39556e.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.  Holding @Heartgrove close in my heart during a difficult time for him and his family.  Special prayers for all those Daily family members dealing with Covid in the family.  Welcome back to @kazu Jacqui as we've missed her greatly.  Cheers to all who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. A humid start to this sunny day. An onshore breeze is just starting to show its face.  Hope it picks up and helps keep the heat manageable. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites.  I made it through one closet last night. Things I had totally forgotten about - really nice area rugs that will never go with my decor again. Home decorations that I will never use again. A gazillion rolls of wrapping paper - unopened. I kept a few opened rolls, but I do not wrap too many gifts these days. And when I do, I like to use towels and cloth bags. 

Tonight I will tackle my closet. I do not have too many clothes, since I was very good about getting rid of all my work clothes when I moved here. But I have all my travel stuff. I really need to weed it out. 

Off to the gym.

An important reminder now that Wedding season is upon us….

73F9320A-45F1-45CD-9044-BD41C6C9FF57.jpeg.20180d4c0ca454ce99947e84292a07a3.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Heartgrove Jack praying for you, Sue and your entire family.  

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ryer Estate 2018 

Not a great deal of info available about this California red blend, but it has very good - excellent ratings from one critic and consumers. And the price is perfect for trying it. Numerous online and local distributors with prices starting at $9.99.

90 Wine Enthusiast 

Broad, rich and mouthfilling, this full-bodied wine offers a tasty blend of ripe strawberry and raspberry flavors with stylish and light oak accents like ginger and nutmeg.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily report.   I'll pass on today's meal suggestion,  we will have leftover pork.  It's a beautiful morning today and the birds are busily feeding round two of their babies.  I wish everyone a good Tuesday.

Flag Day is celebrated here.

20220614_073726.thumb.jpg.5649ece65206875e09366454ddb99db4.jpg

• Like 32

Thank you for the Daily Report!  A nice sunny day here.  Our next door neighbour has  had  a skunk family in their yard somewhere  for the past few years. Our cats sit and stare out the side window in our living room every night.  We also have a lot of rabbits around our property.  We are surrounded by farmer's fields, orchards and vineyards with a winery within view of our back door.  My husband saw a deer in our backyard the night we moved into this house, but hasn't seen any in the eight  years since that night. 

• Like 30

25 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  everyone. It is cloudy now but will be in the eighties  and sunny later.I am waiting for the workers to return.Last night our neighbor stopped  by and offered to carry Tana up the 2 flights of stairs to her sister's apartment. He was concerned  about her having to put up with the jack hammering beneath her window while the gas line is replaced.We will take him up on his offer later this morning. I was so touched by his generosity. 

Bless your neighbor, Terry.  These are the folk that make where you live a neighborhood & community. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyites!  It's currently 78 degrees, at 7:50 a.m.  Last night it was 90 at 8, I was not inspired to work....I left an hour early. After 5 hours, I had spoken to 4 people, and been hung up on 7 times.  The rest of the calls I left messages,  still doing our special.

Bath day-f298621935b3c4936a23b0c760a0f782.jpg

I am going back to the vet this morning with Bobagingee.  He was limping two weeks ago at the time of his rabies shot, and the vet checked his shoulder, and found nothing wrong, but he is still limping and favoring his paw, so back we go.  DH is staying home and waiting for the AC guy to show up. Time to it's annual check up and time to change the filter.  Since DH only has vision in one eye it's hard for him to crawl under the house in the dark, and actually see where to put the filter in.

For those of you who are having a hard time sticking to your diet these days (yes I am)

3c5ef377e311415d73a83a1e4eebad60.jpg

I love the Mark Twain quotes.

bb00fbdaff1e320480479bafdf7574aa.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 9

48 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I will definitely celebrate Flag Day and blood donors. 

The quote is true. The meal sounds interesting.

I haven't read past page one of yesterday's Daily but will get to it today.

Jack, @Heartgrove, sending condolences and prayers.

Jacqui, @kazu, happy to see your post yesterday.

Terry, @smitty34877, what a scary experience. 

It is overcast an 79 this morning. 

For those who watch Call the Midwife... I had missed a couple of episodes and in the past I have been able to catch up on the PBS app so I tried to do the same and the show is no longer there. Do any of you know why?

Have a terrific Tuesday! 🙂

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Julia, I watch on Netflix so I’m not sure about the app. Do you have Netflix?  Only problem is that it seems like the episodes are only available after the episodes have shown on TV. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a cool and cloudy day here but the humidity is supposed to be lower.

@rafinmd, I saw on the Lancaster news that another police officer in Maryland has paid the ultimate price. Sheriff Deputy Glenn Hilliard Wicomico county on Sunday evening. 💔

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 16